The Older Potter // HP Older...

By Ilvermornist

Samantha Potter lived a normal life. She went to Hogwarts, played Quidditch, and tried to pass History of Mag... More

Part 1
TRAILER
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
100
101
102
103
104
105
106
107
108
109
110
111
112
113
114
115
116
117
118
119
120
121

99

2.8K 130 25
By Ilvermornist

C H A P T E R 99

The return to Hogwarts brought a lot of different perspectives. Voldemort was down another Horcrux and that only meant bringing them back to square one for figuring out the next one...if there was a next one. However the return to Hogwarts meant that the Yule Ball was coming in 5 days and that brought some joy to Marcus Flint instead of internally fighting his own battle of the "mission" he was on.

And of course Samantha had no idea. Coming back to Hogwarts still brought her suspicions to Moody and intended to keep her guard and observations on patrol. Coming back also meant she and Harry had to now start figuring out what the clue meant. Harry wanted to wait until it was the new year but Samantha didn't want to forget about it and next thing they knew, it would be February and they would be short on time and short on ideas.

For now though, all her thoughts were consumed by the Yule Ball and how everyone was scrambling for a date. She sat with Victor Krum in the library Wednesday night as they were finishing their Potions homework.

"Technically I don't have a date since Marcus hasn't asked me yet. I guess he is kind of assuming we're going together," Samantha spoke with a small laugh.

Victor smirked. "I'll make him ask you to make it official."

Samantha thanked him. "So who are you going with? So many women around here and lined up eagerly waiting to know," she asked as she obnoxiously wiggled her eyebrows.

Viktor pursed his lips and started to turn a light shade of red. "I—I haven't asked anyone....officially yet but I do have a plan."

Samantha grinned. "That's great. Can I know who?"

"No."

"Why not? I mean I kind of already have a guess but I want to be sure."

"You already have a guess?"

Samantha nodded. "Well it is kind of obvious if one spends enough time with you as well as in the library."

Viktor started to turn red and glanced back down at his Potions work. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Right," Samantha muttered and then went back to her to-do list which was always growing and never having anything to be checked off.

"Do you have any idea what the clue could mean for the second task?" Samantha asked Viktor some time later after they finished their essays.

Viktor thought for a moment. "Not really, I haven't really thought much into it if I'm being honest."

Samantha nodded. "You and Harry both. Maybe Fleur started to research it. I'll have to ask her next time I see her."

"Did you know she's going to the ball with Roger Davies?" Viktor spoke. "He's from that house with the blue robes."

"You mean Ravenclaw? Interesting, I didn't know she gave him the time of day."

Just then Moody walked by the library and Samantha turned. A chill always slithered up her spine when he was near. She also hated the cringing noise of the thunk his leg made when he walked.

"What?" Viktor asked when seeing Samantha slightly cringe.

"Professor Moody just gives me a bad feeling. Ever since I remember seeing him late at night in Snape's office, I've been wary of him."

Viktor nodded. "Yeah he does seem a bit strange."

"But it's more than that," she spoke. "It's not just that he's strange, I can sense something more, like he has some other kind of motive."

"Motive? What other motive would he have than to help us defend against the dark arts?" Viktor asked. "I thought that was why your headmaster gave him the role as teacher."

"But even so."

"Stop being paranoid."

Samantha rolled her eyes. "I'm not paranoid, I'm just taking precautions. I'd rather there be nothing wrong after checking than regretting later that I didn't do something. If at the end of this, there's nothing more to him than just a troubled Auror past, then I will admit I was wrong."

Viktor agreed. They went back their Potions work when the door to the library opened. Marcus walked in sporting a wide grin and sat down at their table. "Good evening."

Samantha smiled at him while Viktor spoke up. "Hello Marcus. Did you hear Samantha doesn't have a date to the Yule Ball? With it being only three days away, it's getting harder to find a date. How tragic."

Marcus furrowed his eyebrows. "What are you talking about? Of course she's going with me. Why wouldn't she?" he asked as he glanced at her.

"Well you technically haven't asked her yet so she's currently going alone."

Marcus sighed and then turned to Samantha. "Would you like to go to Yule Ball with me?"

Samantha smirked at his annoyed expression from Viktor's words. "Hmm I don't know." Anything Samantha could do to make Marcus more annoyed was always a plus in her book.

"Please?" he pressed, putting out his bottom lip, and widening his eyes. "I can first and foremost promise you'll have the night of your life."

"Night of my life, eh?"

Viktor pretended to gag. "I don't even want to know where this conversation is heading. Excuse me, I am going to finish my work in peace on the ship."

And with that, he quickly packed up his things and started for the door. "Make sure to ask her soon, Viktor!" Samantha called. "Wouldn't want to be too late!"

Viktor waved his hand in dismissal and left the library, ignoring the glares from Madam Pince who scolded Samantha for yelling.

"Thank goodness the third wheel is gone," Marcus spoke as he slid his chair closer to Samantha and leaned in, kissing her gently. "So is that a yes?" he asked after pulling away and putting a stray piece of hair behind her ear.

"You tell me," she responded and then closed the gap between them.

• • • • •

The highly anticipated Yule Ball was finally here and it sent Hogwarts into a frenzy. There was a beautiful blanket of snow covering the castle and everyone was excited to have fun later that evening.

"I really don't understand why we need so long to get ready," Samantha groaned as Alicia, Angelina, and Katie dragged her up to their dorm with three hours until the ball was supposed to start.

"Because you're a champion!" Alicia said.

"And we want Marcus' draw to drop when he sees you," Angelina added with a smirk. "Although that boy's jaw drops every time he sees you."

"Yeah he absolutely adores you," Katie followed. "How can one get to be so lucky."

Samantha rolled her eyes and slightly grinned. She then took out the beautiful dress Tonks had sent her back with. She had chosen the yellow one.

At least Marcus was smart enough to ask her what color she was wearing so he could change the color of his tie to match.

Angelina sat her down at her desk and took out all different kinds of makeup products. Samantha was never the one to wear makeup daily but she did appreciate people's love for it and using it for special occasions. Sometimes she'll use a minimal cover up or something like that but she's never went the full nine with applying it. Luckily Angelina loved applying makeup and was excited to help her friend.

Two hours past and everyone's makeup was finished. Samantha didn't know what to do with her hair. She used a charm to reduce the frizz and straighten it so it was more sleek and shiny. Realizing they were going to be dancing, Samantha decided to put it up in a braided bun with a few stray hairs framing her face.

At last they were ready and it was time for the ball to begin. Samantha told Marcus to meet her at the entrance hall ten minutes to seven, however when they left the Gryffindor Common Room, she was stunned to see Marcus standing there, hands in his pockets. He nodded at Fred who was with Angelina and George who was with Katie, Alicia was meeting Justin Cross at the entrance hall.

Marcus smiled happily at Samantha and held out his hand for her to take. He spun her around and pulled her in for a kiss. "You look absolutely stunning."

Samantha started to blush slightly and thanked him, as well as commenting that he looked rather dashing in black dress robes. Durmstrang was given the option to wear their school uniform robes but Marcus opted for something simple.

"Shall we then?" Fred spoke as he took Angelina's hand.

They all nodded and started walking towards the marble stairs.

"Excited to dance?" Marcus spoke as leaned in towards Samantha.

She sighed. "Absolutely not, I'm terrified actually."

Marcus gave her hand a squeeze. "Don't worry, you're in perfect hands. I love to dance."

"Since when did you learn to dance?" she asked with a raised eyebrow as they walked down the stairs.

"Since my father wanted me to be as prolific as I could in multiple aspects."

They finally reached the entrance hall and Justin walked up to Alicia. As they neared the doors, Samantha heard Professor McGonagall's voice. "Champions! Over here!"

Samantha and Marcus bid everyone goodbye as they walked over to her and the rest of their group went inside the Great Hall. She spotted Fleur looking beautiful in a form fitting silver dress as she as was on the arm on Ravenclaw Roger Davies. She bid both hello and stood behind them.

"Where's Viktor?" Samantha asked as she looked for him and hoping he did indeed ask who he intended to ask to the Ball.

Marcus shrugged and looked along with her. As Samantha was looking to the left, Marcus looked to the right and in walked Cedric Diggory who was escorting Cho Chang. Their eyes met and Marcus refrained from giving him a smirk. Cedric just nodded respectfully and both walked inside. Marcus let out a breath of relief since he didn't want there to be any drama.

A few minutes later, Harry walked in with Ron. Harry was with Parvati Patil while Ron was with her twin sister Padma who was in Ravenclaw.

"Hi Harry," Samantha spoke as they walked up to them. Harry looked uncomfortable as can be gave a brief nod. Parvati looked like she was having the time of her life, on the arm of a Champion, and gave both her and Marcus a bright smile.

It neared seven and as the entrance hall was clearing up with those heading inside to wait for the Champions' dramatic entrance, in walked Viktor Krum sporting Durmstrang's dress robes. And just as Samantha hoped, on his arm was the effervescent Hermione Granger who looked absolutely stunning in a soft periwinkle dress. Her hair was slicked back in a nice ponytail with a hair glittery piece on the side that sparkled upon catching the light.

Samantha smiles widely as the two walked towards them. Harry's eyes widened at Viktor's date and couldn't believe his eyes. He could only imagine what Ron's reaction was going to be when they walked inside.

"Hello Hermione, Viktor," Samantha greeted and tried to hide her giddiness. She was loving everything about this.

"Hi Samantha, Marcus," Hermione responded in a soft tone.

Marcus gave Viktor a wink as McGonagall started to line them up. First was Fleur and Roger, next was Viktor and Hermione, then Samantha and Marcus, and finally Harry and Parvati.

Once the entrance hall was clear for the champions to enter, the doors opened and the music started to play. As much as Samantha thought the Yule Ball was going to be fun, she did not like this immense amount of attention and dramatic entrance they had to do. She lucked out with Marcus saying he could dance, she had no idea what to do if he couldn't.

As they walked to the center of the beautifully decorated Great Hall, Samantha spotted Ron's shocked expression upon seeing Hermione walking in Viktor Krum. Good, she thought. That boy needed to know what he was missing out on.

The four pairs reached the center they all took their respective places to open the dance floor.

"Ready?" Marcus spoke as he gently placed his hand on Samantha's hip.

"No," she spoke firmly as she took his other hand and placed hers on his shoulder.

"Just relax and trust me," he whispered as the music started.

Marcus started leading Samantha forwards and backwards as they swayed to the music. The lights were twinkling with every step as Marcus spun her in delicate circles, her yellow dress billowing out. She didn't think she would, but Samantha was loving every second of this: the pressure of a warm hand on her back and the feeling of her small agile feet gliding along the floor and Marcus didn't miss a beat.

As the music continued, more pairs joined them on the dance floor. Neville escorted Ginny while Angelina yanked Fred's arm who didn't seem to keen on dancing. Samantha spotted Ludo Bagman wearing a set of purple dress robes with bright yellow stars. He was waltzing with McGonagall who Samantha couldn't tell if she was enjoying it or not.

The music ended and Dumbledore announced for everyone to find a seat so they could start dinner. The champions were set to eat up at the high table and Samantha was confused upon seeing Percy wearing a set of navy robes. "What are you doing here? Where's Mr. Crouch?"

"Mr. Crouch has been feeling quite ill unfortunately and has appointed me to his personal assistant, so I am here representing him," Percy explained as they sat down next to him.

Just then their menus floated in front of them and everyone saw Dumbledore announce clearly to his plate what he wanted. Pork chops magically appeared as well as two sides and his glass filling with Pumpkin Juice.

"Ill?" Samantha reiterated. "Is everything ok?"

"I cannot say too much, that would jeopardize his trust in me. But he has been very overworked lately. I sense he is taking time off for himself."

"Interesting," Samantha muttered. Her eyes scanned the high table and of course they stopped with Moody. She saw his flask front and center in front of him instead of a glass. He always had it with him. She wondered what was in it. Free and George thought it was some type of strong Firewhiskey but Samantha didn't think so.

Everything she noticed about him made him creepier and creepier. Marcus' voice broke her from her thoughts. "How's the pork chops?"

Samantha turned to him and then down to her half eaten pork chops, mashed potatoes, and green beans. "Great!"

They continued to eat for around another half hour before Dumbledore stood up. "Now that we have opened the dance floor and have filled our stomachs, I believe it is time for the true fun to begin. Please welcome, the Weird Sisters!" he announced and waved his hand. A stage appeared on the left of the Great Hall and the band climbed to the top with their instruments. All of the students left their tables and approached them as they started their first song. An upbeat tune started and everyone broke into a fit of dancing.

Samantha had no idea what she was doing so Marcus just grabbed her hand and spun her around, this time in a less elegant manner. Fred and Angelina was dancing quite exuberantly so everyone around them had to take a step back. It was the perfect showing of teenagers blowing off steam and stress from an interesting semester.

So much has happened in the past few months and Samantha was glad to be able to spend this night with her friends and loved ones. She looked up at Marcus who had a wide grin plastered on his face.

For the moment, her thoughts about the tournament, creepy Moody, Ludo Bagman, and Horcruxes all left her mind as she continued to dance the night away.

Hello!! Ah yes an update after many many months!! I'm super super sorry but I have other priorities! But lately I've been getting the motivation to continue this story! I've been plot planning so we're headed into some interesting stuff :)

Until next time!
Vote, follow, and comment your predictions below!

<3 Sam

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 260 26
Book Four - Last Book in The Power Prophecy Series _______________________ A war is among them. Harry is wanted. And everyone is afraid. Rose helps h...
161K 4.6K 25
Harry didn't only have a godfather but also a godmother. A godmother who was sent to Azkaban for betraying his parents, James and Lily Potter. A godm...
109K 2K 108
________________________________________ *CURRENTLY RE-WRITING* finished by- 25/05/24 (hopefully) current re-write word count- 104,106 It's always...
673K 14.7K 32
I don't own Harry potter it belongs to J.K.Rowling After her friends abndoned her in the summer after 4th year Hayley starts to question her life and...