The Duet

By aworldwithoutaname

Kat is the reserved, introverted nerd. Austin is the popular, attractive "bad boy". They have nothing in co... More

The Duet
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty

Chapter Four

1.9K 72 10
By aworldwithoutaname

“So how did Saturday go?” I turned my attention away from locker and saw Evan who was eating a huge chocolate muffin.

“I’m still alive, aren’t I?” I took the textbooks I needed for this morning and slammed my locker shut. We started walking through the crowded hallways to the one class we shared; French.

“Well I can see that.” He chuckled. “But seriously, how was it?” I filled him in on everything that happened on Saturday; from our argument, to helping him babysit Arianna and telling him about my parents.  When I was finished he had an uncomfortable look on his face.

“Are you sure it was the right time to tell Austin about your parents?” We entered our homeroom and sat at the back corner of the class.

“I don’t know.” I answered honestly. I didn’t know whether I could trust him or not. Part of me felt that he wouldn’t say anything or bring it up. But another part of me felt that he might expose me or use that piece of information to his advantage when he really needed to.

The annoying school bell rang, signalling that homeroom has started. A tall blonde lady stumbled into the room, holding her cup of coffee in one hand and her books in the other. She wore a simple white and red striped long sleeve along with a pair of black skinny jeans and light brown boots that went up to her knees. He long blond hair was tied up into a bun.

“Bonjour tout le monde.” Madame Shea greeted. “Tourner à la page 63 dans le livre”

I pulled out my French textbook from my bag and turned to the page Madame has instructed. The class took turns reading each page. At some point I stopped listening to the other students read and started thinking about what Evan and I had been talking about earlier.

Could I actually trust Austin to not expose me to his friends? He is popular and if he told one of his friends the whole school will know within 30 minutes maximum. Or would he just save that piece of information to blackmail me when necessary? Maybe Evan is right; maybe I shouldn’t have told him. Maybe I should’ve...

“Kat,” Evan whispered interrupting my thoughts.  “Your turn to read.”   I’ve been too deep in my thoughts I didn’t realize the class went quiet. All eyes were on me, waiting for me to begin reading. The problem was I have no idea what page we are on and where we left off.   “Katrina, please pay attention.” Madame said sternly. “Isabelle please continue.”  

“Are you okay?” Evan whispered as Isabelle started reading.

“Later.” I whispered. He nodded and turned his attention back to the page we were reading. I spent the rest of French class doodling on my French notebook instead of listening to the reading.

When French was over, shoved my stuff into my bag and made my way down to the vocal room. Mr. Elliot was supposed to give each pair a bonding assignment to do over the weekend. I wonder what mine and Austin’s will be.

“As you all know I have already assigned the semester project which is the duet. At the end of class I will tell you what you and your partner will do this weekend in order to have a better connection with each other.” Mr. Elliot explained. “Today in class you and your partner will get 5 minutes to choose a song and you will perform it in front of the class”

“Why sir?” someone asked. I turned around to find the source of the voice. Surprisingly it was Austin.

“So I can see what we have and how much better you and your partner will need to be for the summer serenade.” He explained. “Now break into your partners and choose a song. 5 minutes starts now.”

Everyone got up from their seats and rushed over to their partner to choose a song. I went over to Austin who was sitting cross legged at the corner of the room on his phone. I sat next to him and asked him what song we should sing.

“I don’t know.” He said his attention still on his phone. Feeling irritated I snatched the phone from his hands.

 “Hey!” he exclaimed. He got onto his knees and struggled to get the phone from my hands. “Give me back my phone.” I shoved the phone into the back pocket of my pants

“Not until we have a song to sing.” He grumbled something under his breath along the lines of why do I have to do this. I rolled my eyes.

“2 minutes students.” Mr. Elliot announced. All the pairs around us were already figuring out who is singing which part while Austin and I didn’t even have a song. We spat out whatever song came to our minds. But whatever song we both suggested we either didn’t know the song or didn’t like the song.

“Times up!” Mr. Elliot announced.  “Who would like to go first?” Everyone’s hands in the room were raised high, hoping he would choose them. The only hands that weren’t up were mine and Austin’s. Mr. Elliot noticed that and chose up to go first.

Reluctantly, Austin and I walked up to the front of the room. We still had no song to sing and we were first. My heart was beating faster due to feeling panicky. 

“What song will you two be singing?” Mr. Elliot smiled. All eyes were on us waiting for our response. I threw Austin a panicked look and he caught it.

“Uhm, we’re singing Sunday Morning.” Austin answered. I gave him a questioning look but he just shrugged.

Mr. Elliot nodded and searched for the song on YouTube but Austin in interrupted him. “Sir we’re going to use the guitars.” Austin grabbed my arm and dragged me to the instrument room.

“Why are we singing Sunday Morning?” I asked as I grabbed an acoustic guitar.

“I was listening to it before school. The first song that popped into my mind.” He answered as he took out two chairs. He set up the two chairs and I started playing the guitar.

  “Sunday Morning rain is falling. Steal some covers, share some skin” Austin sang. As he sang the first verse, I realize how talented he is when it came to singing. I never really heard him sing before until now. And I can honestly say he sounds amazing. But of course I would never say it to him; there’s no need to inflate his ego even more.

“That may be all I need. In darkness she’s all I need.” We sang together and I continued strumming the guitar. “Come and rest your bones with me…”

It was almost my turn to sing. There was this fluttering feeling in the pit of my stomach. My mom always told me I had a nervous stomach whenever I sang in front of people. She always told me not to think about those people and just sing like I’m alone in my room. And that’s what I did.

“Fingers trace your every outline. Paint a picture with my hands.” I sang. Everyone’s eyes were now on me. That feeling in my stomach was still there but the advice my mother gave me was stronger overpowered that feeling. I continued singing my part and we sang the chorus one more time. When we finished, the class erupted in cheers and applause. Mr. Elliot had an impressed look on his face as applauded us.

“Well Miss. Winter and Mr. Desmyn, I say your 12 hours bonding session has made some improvements. Hopefully it continues to make more improvement.” He commented. “Good job. Jules and Brandon, you’re up!”

When I went to the instrument room to return the guitar, Austin trailed behind me.

“You sounded amazing.” He complimented. “You should sing more often in front of people.”

“Thanks” I smiled “It didn’t sound like you were screeching so good job.”

He laughed as he went back to watch the other duet partners. I placed the guitars back where I found them and went back to my seat beside Austin.

When every partner was finished performing, Mr. Elliot gave us all a round of applause.

“Amazing work students, better than I expected” he stopped clapping. “But you and your partner must continue to bond to develop that connection.”

“Are you giving us our assignment now?” a girl in the front asked.

“Yes. So please listen up!”

The class’ undivided attention was all on Mr. Elliot as we waited for our assignment.

“You and your partner will have three options to choose from. 1) Explore downtown together. 2) Go see a movie together. 3) Go to the mall.”

Each partner started discussing which option they were wanted to do. I turned to Austin to hear what he had to say.

“We are going downtown. If people see you and I at the movies or at the mall they’ll assume I brought you on a date, which will happen in a million years.” He said. I agreed right away. I’ve never been to downtown before.  

“You are all dismissed. Please let me know what you and your partner have decided tomorrow, right at the beginning of class.” Everyone stood up and headed out the door. Lunch didn’t start for another 10 minutes so the hallways were empty right now. As I stuffed my French and Music stuff into my locker and replaced it with my Chemistry and Advanced Functions stuff, someone tapped me on my shoulder.

“Hey Kat,” I turned around and came face to face with the guy I’ve been infatuated with for the past 3 years; Miguel Dela Cruz. 

“H-hey Miguel.” I stuttered.

“Have you seen Kale?” he asked. “He has my biology stuff.”

“He...uhm he-“

“Never mind, I found him. Thanks Kat.” He slapped my back and ran to the direction of my twin. I slammed my locker shut and leaned against it and let out a sigh. Whenever I’m around that kid I can never think straight. Whenever he’s around I always get tongue tied and have no idea what to say. He always leaves me speechless; literally.

“Are you okay Kat?” my best friend, Sophia asked. “Did you get another 79% on a test, struck out with Miguel or they have no more of those huge soft chocolate chip cookies?”

“Probably the second or third one.” Evan commented. “But most likely second one. The cafeteria rarely runs out of those cookies.”

I don’t know whether I should be happy or scared that these two knew me so well. We were all chilling at the back of the library because the cafeteria is too crowded, the hallways are filled with annoying jocks hitting each other or the cheerleaders that pass by and the quad is taken up by the other people who cannot fit in the cafeteria. No one sat at the back of the library so it was always just the three of us there.

“I can never have a conversation with him without me being awkward, speechless or blabbing whatever comes to mind.” I rubbed my temples. “He probably thinks I’m a freak and the only reason he talks to me is because I’m Kale’s sister.”

“Be you Kat. I’m sure everything will go more smoothly if you just stopped thinking about what you’re going to say to him next.” Sophia explained.

“She’s right.” He said. “And we must be right because the only time we agree with each other is once in a blue moon.” Sophia nodded. I guess maybe they are right; maybe I was always over analyzing everything I’m going to say to him which causes me to go tongue tied.

“Okay.” I said. “Next time I get to talk to him, I’ll just let the conversation flow.”

“Good girl.” Sophia clapped. Evan smiled and patted my back. The bell rang which meant lunch was over. I waved good bye to Sophia and Evan. On my way to the science wing, I accidently walked into someone. The force was strong enough to knock me down onto my butt.

Why did I have to be so clumsy?

“Oh hey it’s the nerd” Austin smirked. “Trying to touch me I see.” He took my hand and pulled me up to my feet.

“Ew no. Why would I want to touch that?” I countered back disgustingly, gesturing to his body.

“Lying to yourself ain’t helpful sweetheart.” He smirked. “Come on let’s go to chemistry.”

 I trailed behind him cursing under my breath as we made our way to Chemistry. 

 A/N: Another chapter completed (: yay, I'm proud! Sorry about the end. I don't know how to end chapters :$

hopefully I can update again soon. things at summer camp are getting busier so I'm more tired at night when I do get the chance to write. I'll probably stick to updating once a week.

That is all for now. please share this story with other people. Comments and votes are greatly aprreciated as well (; 

Happy reading guys! 

-Melissa

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 85.5K 46
Ariana Jacobs and her mom are struggling to make ends meet everyday because of the death of her father, which is how she starts working as a maid for...
9.3K 261 26
August and Ki never were the two in high school to get along. August, of course, was a bad boy and always in trouble, but he always had some girl and...
5K 174 22
Guy looked at me with a serious expression on his face, "You know James, it seems to me like you might have a crush on me." I immediately got defensi...
254K 6.3K 39
Colton glared at her. "Not in a million years would I ever date you." Maya is the new girl and she has an odd description; bitchy, careless, funny, a...