Must Love Dogs

By E_Ajanovic07

Now Rated M. Stefan Salvatore is a successful real estate owner with problems. An ex-wife who takes everythin... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty- Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty- Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty- Two
Chapter Thirty- Three
Chapter Thirty- Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Missing Scene: Trainer Girl
Chapter 40: Pesky Feelings
MLD: Missing Scene: Had You Stayed..

Chapter Seventeen

1.2K 35 6
By E_Ajanovic07

Must Love Dogs- Chapter Seventeen-

"Stefan, where the hell are you? You've been ignoring me for the past two days and I don't like it..I don't like it one bit, little brother! Call me back..We have a problem and by problem- I mean massive complication that includes your ex wife from hell!" Damon said in his voicemail, pushing his finger down on the end call button a little too hard.

"I don't understand how he could just disappear like this! Rebekah wants a war against us and she's got one. But, Stefan's oblivious to it! You think he's with that girl..What's her name again, Elena?" Damon asked Katherine, watching as his wife sat across from him, combing over files from the company and shaking her head.

"I'm not scared of a little completion, Damon. I've been competing with Rebekah ever since I joined this family. However, she really will screw herself in this if she thinks that I'll let her win..Because, I won't. SD Reality is our company and she's not going to get one cent. I don't care if she fights dirty either. Because, I'll fight until it rains blood." Katherine explained, running her hands through her hair as she glanced up at her husband who looked as if he was about to rip his hair out. "You know, honey. You're very sexy when you get all competitive." Damon told her, grinning as Katherine smiled too.

"Well, someone needs to put her in her place. She can't screw with us, Damon. She can try. But, she won't get as far as she thinks. I especially love that she thinks her damn brother will cause me to lose my focus on what's important here. Ha, silly woman." Katherine added, watching as Damon got up from his chair, tossing his phone on to the table and glancing up at his wife.

"I need to go find him, Katherine. I'm worried. Not answering his phone isn't like Stefan and I can't reach Caroline. God knows what's going on." Damon said, watching Katherine follow his movements as she stepped in front of her husband, planting a kiss against his lips. "Can you pick up Izzie from daycare before you go to Stefan's?" Katherine asked her husband as she watched his lips curl into a small smile, placing his hands on to both sides of her face as he looked into her eyes and said. "Anything for you. I'll see you soon."

"Daddy, why doesn't Auntie Rebekah still live with Uncle Stefan?" Izzie questioned, causing Damon to bite down on the side of his cheek, hard. He was holding Izzie's hand tightly as they walked towards his brother's house.

Damon paused, turning towards his daughter, bending down to be eye level with her. He watched her eyes glistening, her brown curly hair tilting to the side as it moved with her head and she locked her eyes on to her father in curiosity. He wasn't really sure what to say to his almost 6 year old daughter with her blue eyes and brown curly hair. She looked just like her mother when she was younger and it made Damon smile with pride. He loved, Izzie. Yet, he didn't want her growing up spoiled, like all the other children her age in the private daycare center that he and Katherine would take her to whenever they were busy working.

"Honey, your Uncle Stefan doesn't like Auntie Rebekah anymore." Damon told her, watching his daughter's blue eyes grow wide as she grinned and leaned towards her father, whispering. "Is it because he loves Auntie Caroline more?" She asked, getting a loud laugh out of her daughter watching him shake his head.

"No, I don't think so." Damon paused, not really sure how his daughter knew that Caroline even liked Stefan. Since, he hadn't even been sure of that revelation since she had just mentioned it.

"How, did you.." Damon began to ask, watching Izzie take a step back, placing her hands onto her light yellow colored dress, smiling at her dad when she blurted out. "Daddy! Because, Auntie Caroline always gives Uncle Stefan a silly look whenever she see's him. I think she loves him." Izzie shrugged, grabbing a hold of her father's hand and dragging him towards the front door of Stefan's house.

"Maybe Uncle Stefan needs to tell Auntie Caroline to stop looking at him like that…" She smiled, stepping in front of Damon and knocking on the door loudly, shouting. "Uncle Stefan..Your most favorite person ever is here. I'm all dressed up too!"

"So, she says that not seeing her would be better for both of us, until I figure things out with Rebekah." Stefan shrugged, placing a bowl of water and dog food down for Duke, watching his ears twitch a bit as he laid down by the sliding door that led out to the pool and the beautiful ocean side shoreline that practically was Stefan's backyard.

"I've already figured things out with Rebekah, buddy. I can't stand her and I want her out of my life for good. She, should have never come back. I was perfectly fine without her." Stefan confessed, rubbing his face over his hands and exhaling out a breath as he heard a little girl's laughter and a loud booming voice coming from the shoreline. "Stefan! You home?" Damon shouted, walking up the patio steps that led to Stefan's backyard door.

Damon watched as the back door to the patio opened up and Duke came straight for him and Izzie. "He isn't going to bite us, is he?" He asked his brother, hearing Stefan laugh, shaking his head.

"No. Duke, come here." Stefan said, whistling as he watched the dog's ears perk up, his head snapping back as he circled around Izzie and Damon, sniffing them both for a bit and wagging his tail.

"I think he missed us, Daddy." Izzie commented, feeling Duke lick her hand as she smiled up at her Uncle and her father.

"I think he did too. Listen, kiddo. How about you take Duke over there in the sand and feed him a few of these yummy treats. Not too many though..And, stay where I can see you." Damon instructed his daughter, handing Izzie a bag of treats and watching Duke walk slowly beside her, eyeing the treats in her hands as she stepped off the patio and sat in the sand.

"Don't go near the water, Iz!" Stefan shouted at her, turning his chair so that he and Damon could keep an eye on Izzie and Duke as they both played on the sandy beach, in the warm sun.

"So, where's the trainer and your girlfriend, Elena. What happened?" His older brother asked him, leaning back into the wooden patio chair and keeping his eyes glued to his daughter and the large black and light colored German Shepherd sitting beside her in the sand.

" It's complicated. Besides, she's busy. We just don't see each other that often as we both would like." Stefan vaguely stated, looking out to the water. He could tell that Damon was annoyed by his simple answer, probably internally begging for more than what he was getting out of his brother. Yet, Stefan really didn't know what else to say because after his last chat with Elena. He wasn't sure where they stood anymore.

"So...Stefan, you're telling me that you don't see your so called girlfriend. Everyday." Damon pointed out, watching his brother squirm a little as he exhaled heavily. "No, Damon. Elena is busy. Just like I am. She helps her aunt out a lot and she has other obligations. She can't be around me, 24/7." Stefan shrugged.

"It just seems a little odd. I mean, when you were with Rebekah. I saw her every single day at your place. She was like a leech sucking the life out of you though. Speaking of your ex-wife..Did I mention that she threatened Katherine and I?" Damon asked him, changing the subject and turning his head to glance at his brother who looked visibly uncomfortable just with the mention of Rebekah's name.

"She, What?" Stefan spat out, feeling the irritation of the thought of Rebekah growing.

Damon nodded, leaning forward and opening the ice cold water bottle in front of him. He took a sip, wiping his mouth with the back of hand as he continued to speak. "Yeah, she thought it would be cute to bring in Elijah as well. Nearly gave Katherine a heart attack. But, you know my wife..She loved putting your former lover in her place. Needless to say, Rebekah left all huffy and puffy without the result she wanted. She said she wants our company, Stefan." Damon explained, hearing his brother loudly exhale, disapproval riddling his face.

"She isn't getting shit. And, if I have to tell that to her face, then I will. Rebekah blindly thinks that I still love her and to be honest..I did, 6 months ago. But, not anymore. She's threatening you and Katherine because she thinks she can get to me. However, leaving me without much except for the house, the dog and my real estate business has taught me something. She isn't getting anymore from me..At all!" Stefan concluded, shifting his body forward and watching as Izzie struggled with the Duke.

"Ugh, the damn dog! He's rough housing with Izzie.." Stefan told Damon, shoving off of his chair, taking off his black sandals and going straight to where Duke had knocked Izzie over and she was crying.

Stefan rushed over, scooping his niece up into his arms as she cried against his neck, stammering out her words. "He…..He….Duke was being a meanie!" She cried, wrapping her arms around Stefan as he kissed her cheek, looking over at Damon who had now rushed over to be by his daughter's side. "Let's get you inside, sweetheart. Let's have Uncle Stefan put the dog in a crate or something." Damon scolded, watching as Stefan shouted Duke's name, pulling him inside of the house as he followed Damon and Izzie who were already near the door.

"I need to talk to you." Damon stated, placing his daughter on to the couch and covered her up with a blanket. Damon watched as Stefan placed Duke into his oversized dog crate. He pointed to the kitchen and told his brother to follow him. Once, he made sure that they were both alone and not within listening distance so that Izzie could hear them, he spoke.

"I don't know what's going on with you and that girlfriend of yours, Stefan. But, you need her right now more than you need me. Maybe she can help you with some things." He blatantly said as Stefan raised his eyebrows at him.

"And, why do you think I should involve Elena in my mess of a life right now? Damon, to be honest..It's not the smartest idea that you've ever had." Stefan shot back, looking down at the marble counter tops inside of his kitchen, sighing out a breath.

"Because, you're going to need someone else on your side besides Katherine and I once Rebekah tries to take us down and from what I remember while looking at you and Elena when we were all at Dad's birthday party together. She cares about you, Stefan. Although, what I don't seem to understand is why you don't feel the same way about her. You talk about her as if she's just some girl and not someone you care about too. " Damon argued, watching his brother squirming was somewhat amusing to him and he wanted to add more fuel to the fire by saying something else. However, Stefan's words stopped him.

"I do care about her.." His voice trailed off when Damon shook his head, huffing out a breath and continuing to argue. "You don't. Stefan, you care more about what Rebekah is going to do next to ruin your life instead of creating a meaningful relationship with another woman who clearly adores you. I'm pretty sure that if you just let her, that she'd be way better for you than Rebekah ever was. And, please..Don't say that you want her just because of the sex that you two may or may not be having. That doesn't make a relationship you know, being with someone is a lot more complicated than just strictly sex." Damon told him, turning back towards the living room to check up on Izzie.

Stefan shook his head in disbelief. "You can't tell all that just by meeting her one time and looking at us across the table, Damon. Elena and I...We.." Stefan began to say as Damon lifted up his hand and closed his eyes.

"Actually, I can tell more about the two of you than you think, Stefan." Damon said, pinching the bridge of his nose before he heard Stefan ask him. "Yeah, like what?"

Damon licked his lips, running his tongue over his teeth in utter frustration when he finally pointed out what he already felt was an obvious thing to notice. "If you spend too much focusing on your ex-wife. You'll lose the prospect of being with someone who could be amazing for you. Listen, all I'm saying is that you need to talk to her and do it soon." Damon commented, shrugging his shoulders back and smiling up at his brother as he walked back into the living room and picked up a sleeping Izzie into his arms, pulling her in close when he stated. "I'm going to take my daughter home. But, just..take my advice, Stefan and go talk to Elena about where you and her stand right now. Besides, Katherine and I can handle, Rebekah. My wife loves some good old rivalries and I'd hate to stand in her way. So, I'll let you know when I'll be needing you to help me- if your ex-wife isn't cooperating with us. I'll be in touch, little brother."

Elena had gone downstairs to only eat breakfast and try to avoid her aunt. Although, Elena wasn't so lucky when she ran into Alaric when she thought Jenna had left for the morning. He grinned widely, pushing a plate of bagels in front of her. "Sit, let's chat."He commanded, crossing his arms over his chest as Elena gave him a confused look.

"Chat about what?" She asked him, hesitantly sitting across from him. "Oh, I don't know. About anything…Perhaps, a particular guy named Stefan Salvatore." Alaric smiled, waiting for Elena to catch on and when she did, she felt like she would die of embarrassment. "She told you!" Alaric heard her shout out, pushing away from the table and getting up from it.

"She asked for my opinion about it, Elena. Look, I don't know what's going on with you and that guy. But, whatever it is. I say that you need to figure out if this is just some lustful trance you're under in regards to Stefan or if you really do feel something for him." She heard her Uncle advise as she nodded. "This is weird, talking to you of all people about my problems with...guys. I usually talk to my mother about these things." Elena replied, getting a hardy laugh out of him.

Alaric pursed his lips together, smiling even wider. "I was a young man once too, Elena. And, I was one hell of a problem for your Aunt. Just ask her and your mom. Look, you may not want to hear this from me. But, take my advice. Figure out what you really feel for him before you get into this deeper. And, make sure that he feels the same way. Because, you don't want to be in love with someone who isn't in love with you. Also, don't allow him to hurt your heart...And, please don't mess with his either. Getting your heart broken over a failed relationship that could have been prevented hurts like hell. Take it from me, I may be older now. But, I still do know a thing or two about relationships." Alaric winked, rolling up his newspaper and taking his coffee cup to the sink when he heard Elena huff out a breath. "That's it?" She asked.

"What's it?" Alaric questioned, turning back towards her as she licked her lips and locked her eyes on to him.

"You're not going to tell me that I shouldn't pursue whatever I have going on with him? That-." Alaric cut her off, smiling.

"Stop whining to me about it and go talk to him." He said, tossing Elena the car keys as she gave him a confused look. "Are you serious?" She asked.

He nodded. "Completely. Go and talk to him before I change my mind!" He advised, watching Elena step in front of him, wrapping her arms around his neck as she stated. "Now, I see why my aunt Jenna married you. You're the best!"

Alaric chuckled, hugging Elena back before they both stepped away and he jokingly popped the collar to his shirt. "I know." He replied in a cocky tone, playfully shoving Elena out of the house. "Now, get going!" He told her, watching her wave at him as she stepped through the door.

Her hands gripped onto the steering wheel tightly as she exhaled deeply. She was ready to talk to him, ready to explain herself and her thinking when she had spoken to him the other night. However, Elena paused with shaking hands against the door handle of the car, ready to get out. She wasn't really sure what she was afraid of. However, deep down. She knew- it was him and the way he'd react to her truthful words.

Elena watched as Damon and whom she assumed was his daughter left Stefan's house before she drove closer to it, parking her aunt's jeep right in his driveway. The shutting of the driver's side door was what caught his attention as he began to walk back into the house. But, stopped when he heard it, turning around with a slight amused look on his face. "What are you doing here? Stefan asked.

"I lied to you, when I said that I didn't want to see you. Because, the truth is that I've tried not thinking about you. I can't do it though and I'm trying to figure out my feelings for you. But, it all comes down to one thing...I like you, Stefan. I like being around you and I like-." She paused, watching his smile fade as his lips hardened into a straight line and he shook his head.

Elena watched him walk straight towards her, his hands reaching out to her face as he cupped her face into his hands and said. "I can't stop thinking about you since we talked last. And, I'm glad you showed up." He admitted as she smiled.

She watched him step towards her more, still cupping her face into his hands firmly, his fingertips brushing her hair back as he locked his eyes on to hers and confessed. "I'm a very complex person with a really messed up relationship history, Elena. But, you're wrong about one thing. I like having you around and as far as you thinking that I don't like you. That's another thing that you're wrong about. I like you, Elena. You're the only thing right now in my life that seems to somehow make sense. Everything else is falling apart around me and then, there's you. The only thing keeping me from losing my mind." She heard Stefan admit as they both smiled, feeling the buzzing of her cell phone against the inside of her jeans Elena cleared her throat, feeling Stefan's hands slip away from her skin. He was smiling too, crossing his arms over his chest and telling her that she should answer her cell phone.

Elena nodded, taking the still buzzing phone into her hands and turning her back towards Stefan when she answered. "Hello?" She could hear her Aunt Jenna's breathing on the other line, she exhaled deeply before she spoke. "Elena, Are you at home?" She heard Jenna ask as she shook her head and replied softly. "No, why?"

Jenna was silent for a while, trying to keep herself sounding calm. However, she was failing at it when she explained to her niece the reason that she was calling her so out of the blue. "Sweetheart. There's been an accident. It's your brother, Elena. It's Jeremy."

A/N: Hope you liked the update. Feel free to let me know what you thought. :)

Follow me on twitter for updates or commentary at: BePassionate_24

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.4K 731 20
in which Oaklyn Gilbert starts to feel alive again, all because of a certain vampire. Damon Salvatore x OC TVD Season1-?
165K 5.2K 45
Amidst the unsuccessful search for the cure and difficult relationships, an unexpected event occurs. What happens when Bonnie's powerful magic gets o...
95.9K 2.9K 17
h "Oh my, brother. Caroline Forbes will be the death of you. And you know it." ~ ~ After Caroline's mother passes away, she turns off her humanity...