Land of the Dead

By divulgence

[ CURRENTLY GOING UNDER MAJOR EDITING ] Remnants of a once great land lay scattered everywhere, replaced by t... More

Land of the Dead
1) Strangers
2) Ties to the Past
3) Shopping Spree
4) Fallen
5) Broken Paradise
6) Insanity
7) Completion
8) Broken Abyss
9) Tidal Waves
10) Darkest Moments
11) Just for amusement
12) Roller Coaster Rush
14) Chronicle I
15) Innocence
16) Precious Memories
17) Say I love you
18) Gone with the wind
19) Chronicle II
20) The Quiver of Words
21) Outbreak
22) Run away
23) Betrayal
24) The start of Enmity
25) Sanity level: low
26) The art of War
27) Chronicle III
28) Dead Girl in a Dead World
29) Shattered remnants of a fragmented past
Epilogue

13) Repeat or Fast-Forward

599 32 38
By divulgence

Chapter 13 --- Land of the Dead

Repeat or Fast-Forward

Silence hung in the air for a while as the car drove unsteadily across the road. Alice wasn't exactly the best driver. Numerous times Jett tried to persuade her to swap to the passengers seat, but she refused.

"Where are we going?" Lani asked, kicking the drivers seat in front of her. "Somewhere magical." Alice murmured. She placed the palm of her right hand on top of the steering wheel and steered it to the left.

"Alice, watch out." Jett said calmly.

"Watch out for what?" Suddenly something crunched underneath the car and Alice lost control of the steering wheel. The car jeered to the left and went off the road. Luckily, Alice slammed on the brakes just in time before the car hit a tree.

"That tends to happen a lot, doesn't it?" Slate said. Lani and Lily were almost in tears- again.

"Yes, it does...." Alice whispered.

Jett cursed under his breath. "You just hit a person!"

"What? Don't you mean a zombie?"

"No! An actual person!"

"Wha..." Alice looked behind her shoulder and frowned.

Somebody suddenly pressed themselves against the car window, making the twins and Alice scream in fright. Slate himself raised his hands above his head, but quickly realized they couldn't attack him anyway.

"I'm okay!" They shouted. Alice quickly pressed her foot down on the accelerator and the car sped off down the road again. The person started shouting after them.

"Hey, you're not just gonna leave that person behind, are you?" Jett asked.

"Yes, of course."

"Well done, Alice, you have certainly learnt from the best."

"You're the one who tried to kill us all, Flynn, so you should shut your mouth."

"I've shut my mouth for quite a while, thank you Jett, it's not like you ever shut-

"Would you all please be kind and just shut up for once? You're only making everything worse." Rose said as she tried her very best to calm down Lani, who was shaking terribly, warm tears running down her cheeks. Lily tried her best to calm her down too, but failed miraculously.

"Come on Lani, you can sit on my lap if you want." Rose patted her lap and Lani struggled to get out of her seat. Flynn unbuckled it for her.

"Did you ever work with children?" Slate asked.

Rose squinted her eyes at Slate as Flynn lifted Lani over into the backseat. Lani sat on Rose's lap and kept crying. She reached out for her sister.

"No, not really." She coughed out.

"Alice, where are we going?" Slate asked, trying to start another conversation instantaneously once Rose had answered his question.

Alice sighed loudly. "You'll soon find out!" She giggled like a twelve year old girl.

"You still haven't changed, have you?" Jett murmured, turning on the radio. All they could hear was static as he went through every channel.

"Nothing, nothing at all."

"What do you expect? We're in the middle of a zombie apocalypse."

"You'd think there'd be at least one channel, but nnn...." Jett paused abruptly. "I think I can hear something."

"It's called 'static'."

"Shut up, Flynn. It's a voice...but it's being drowned out by all the static."

"Jett, it's just your imagination."

Lani screeched in delight, her mood suddenly changing from sour to sweet as she clapped her hands together. "I wanna hear the voice!"

Jett turned up the radio as Alice slowed down the car. Alice frowned.

"Jett, you're just hearing things. Don't worry about it."

Jett shuddered, not wanting to turn off the radio. Alice grabbed his hand in a quick, swift motion, and helped him press the 'Off' button.

"There you to. Problem solved. You shouldn't have even turned it on in the first place." Their gaze clicked into place, and Jett looked away.

"Whatever. Just keep going, Alice, don't stop until we've reached our destination."

Alice shrugged. "Well, Jett, if you say so."

"Do you even know where you're going Alice? Come on, be honest here. We all wanna know."

"Of course I know where I'm going, Flynn, otherwise I would've swapped seats with Jett and rendered it all hopeless."

"Well, I do hope you know where you're going."

"Trust me, I know well."

~*~

Alice slowed the car down. It came to a stop, and instantly Jett realized where they were.

"WHAT?" He shouted, waving his arms about.

"WHY ARE WE BACK HERE YOU STUPID IDIOT? THEY'LL KILL-

"Oh shut up, they won't kill us. They can't kill us. We'll just..."

"WE'LL JUST WHAT?"

Lani began crying again. "Jett, calm down." Rose whispered, narrowing her eyes at him.

"WE'RE BACK AT THE AMUSEMENT PARK!HOW CAN I STAY CALM? THEY'LL SEE US! THEY'VE PROBABLY ALREADY SPOTTED US! TH-

"Jett, you heard Rose. Calm down, they might not have even noticed us yet. In fact, they wouldn't have noticed us yet. Their cameras don't-

"IF THEY LOOK OUTSIDE OF THE AMUSEMENT PARK THEY'LL SEE US!"

"If they have the cameras, they won't be bothered to look outside." Flynn said calmly.

Jett took a deep breath before looking Alice in the eye.

"I'm your older brother so you should-

"Age doesn't matter, Jett. I'm sick of following your orders all the time. In fact...I still hate you. The only reason we're together again is because of this stupid apocalypse, otherwise you would still be shut out of my life." Alice said, tears starting to form in her eyes.

"Did you forget everything?" She muttered. Jett didn't say anything. He just sat there, staring at the dashboard. Alice shook her head.

"Exactly."

"I thought we were over that!" His fists tightened. Alice shook her head and hopped out of the car.

"Alice, you must be joking." Jett said, stepping out of the car.

"Hey, whoa, hold up! Let me go after her!" Flynn unbuckled his seatbelt and climbed over Slate with his bow and arrows still in hand. The gravel crunched from underneath his sneakers.

"Jett, wait. I know I haven't got any right to ask you about what happened between-

"Exactly. You don't." Flynn averted Jett's intense glare. His chocolate-brown eyes were cold and seemed almost lifeless.

"Just...take the drivers seat, I'll go collect her and then we'll sort it out from there."

Flynn stood awkwardly, waiting for Jett to give him an answer. When Jett did not, Flynn sighed and walked around him, following after Alice who was almost at the entrance of the amusement park.

"Alice, wait-

Flynn cut himself off when he noticed a flesh-eater limping towards him. He cursed under his breath and started running towards Alice.

"ALICE!" He shouted, searching his pockets for a knife. He didn't want to waste an arrow.

"WATCH OUT! IT'S DANGEROUS!"

Alice paused for a second and spun around on her heel. She started to mimic Flynn.

"I'm going to change my name to Finn without a reason! Now, I'm going to act all cool and go insane! I'm going to attempt at killing my best friend and girlfriend, and then I'm going to-

"I advise you shut up before I attempt at removing your head." The knife Flynn was holding in his grasp was poised at her neck. She smiled.

"It won't hurt."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. I can tell you a secret if you want."

Flynn raised an eyebrow. Alice chuckled lightly. "I've lost my sense of touch. I can't feel anything."

Flynn laughed. "You're lying."

Alice shook her head no. Suddenly Flynn grabbed her hand and the knife made contact with her skin in a quick motion, slicing it open. Blood started trickling down her hand onto the ground.

Alice raised both eyebrows. "See?"

"That's nothing." He murmured. He started digging the knife into her wound, but she didn't flinch at all. Flynn stopped and chucked the knife at the ground. He grabbed her arm and started dragging her back to the car.

"You can't!" She snapped, yanking back her arm. She picked up the knife Flynn had dropped.

"Why not?"

Alice juggled the knife she held in her hands, examining it closely with a sigh.

"There's something I need to do first."

Flynn shook his head and sighed himself, tightly gripping his bow. "And what exactly is it?"

"That's none of your busin-

An arrow pierced the head of a zombie who was about to lunge itself upon Alice and sink its teeth into her flesh, tearing chunks out of her body.

"Tell me. What is-

Flynn cut himself off when he noticed a whole group of zombies limping towards them.

"They've already noticed our presence...let's go!"

"No!" Alice said immediately. Flynn frowned and grabbed her arm, yet she pulled back instantaneously.

"Alice, do you wish to die?"

"No!"

"Then get your ass moving!"

Flynn started to get frustrated. He looked to his left at the flesh eaters who were almost upon them and then averted his gaze back to Alice.

"Fine. Fine! Goodbye, I'm sure the flesh eaters will enjoy you quite thoroughly." Flynn took off, back towards the car. He didn't look back once.

Alice was seething in anger. She knew that Flynn was right, but she wanted to stay. They could fight. Couldn't they?

Alice saw two options. Either stay and die, or leave with them and...possibly live.

Alice took the second option, infuriated at the fact she couldn't stay, no matter how much she wanted to. She ran as fast as her strong legs could take her, and by the time she had reached the car Flynn was already squeezed between Ivy and Slate.

"I knew you'd come back."

Alice hopped into the passenger seat without a word. More and more flesh eaters were coming from the amusement park.

"Start the car already." Victoria said impatiently. The car made a whirring sound and completely stopped. Jett twisted the car keys numerous times but the car was exhausted.

"No. No, no, no. It's out of fuel!"

Slate sighed loudly and Flynn cursed.

"What do we d-do now?" Rose asked.

"I think we should run..." Jett said.

"With Ivy?" Victoria frowned.

Jett rested his head on the wheel. "I don't know, I honestly don't know."

Flynn retrieved an arrow and loaded it in his bow. "I think I know what to do."

"WHAT?"Jett shouted, knowing instantaneously what he planned on doing. Flynn nodded towards another car that was parked in the distance.

The first zombie hit the side of the bonnet and rolled off. It started clawing on the window. Flynn and Slate picked up Ivy's frail body.

"Okay. We'll surround Flynn, Ivy and Slate and act as defence, something like that. Just...let's go, NOW!" Rose shouted.

Jett climbed over into the passengers seat and unlocked the door. He grabbed Alice's arm and tugged her outside. Lani was hauled over the seat along with Lily-Rose. She quickly opened the door and jumped out, followed by Slate and Flynn who were carrying Ivy.

Victoria and Rose gathered as much food and water as they could carry. They clambered over and rushed out of the car, contents slipping from their grasp as they ran across the tarmac. A whole crowd of flesh-eaters followed after them, advancing quickly.

"What the hell!" Jett called out. "They're moving faster than usual! And...AND THEY HAVE CLAWS?"

Slate looked at Flynn. When they made eye contact he saw that his dull, brown eyes only held remorse.

"They've experimented on them a little." Was all he said.

"A LITTLE?" Slate called out. He examined the zombies. "YOU THINK ADDING TALONS, LONGER AND SHARPER TEETH AND SO MUCH MORE IS A LITTLE?"

In one split second it happened.

Flynn slipped on the tarmac and fell onto the ground. Slate kept on dragging Ivy despite the fact his friend had fallen.

Almost everyone cursed. "I'm out of bullets. Ammo. Whatever!" Alice said simply. She had the urge to steal her brothers sword.

Jett swung his sword into a window and the glass shattered. The car alarm went off. Lani and Lily's screams were drowned out.

Jett reached in and unlocked the door. He tried his best to get rid of all the glass, cutting his hands before he slipped into the drivers seat.

Slate was still dragging Ivy's body across the tarmac. Flynn rushed to his feet and plunged an arrow into a flesh eater. His arrows were now scattered amongst the ground; there wasn't any time to collect them.

Lani's dress was in tatters as a flesh eater started to claw at her. She screamed and cried as it tore a large chunk out of her flesh.

Victoria and Lily screamed, Victoria dropping everything she held. She unsheathed her katana and ran at the zombie, plunging the sword into its head. Blood sprayed everywhere as it doubled over.

"I'M GOING TO DIE!" Lani screamed, tears running down her cheeks. Lily rushed over and cradled Lani in her arms, tears pouring down her cheeks.

"NO!" Lily screeched.

"N-no you won't!" Victoria dragged Lani towards the car as Slate loaded Ivy's body into the back. The car was only designed for five people. Lily hesitated, not wanting to let go of her sister.

Rose, Flynn and Slate squeezed into the back and Alice sat in the passengers seat.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" Jett asked, his brows knitted together in frustration.

"She's gone and dead Victoria!" Rose called out, only making Lani more upset. Her sister, however, was a total mess.

"NO! She's innocent!" Victoria cried out. She raised her katana and started to dig into Lani's wound, making her scream. Blood oozed everywhere as she sliced her skin, and Lani blacked out.

****************************************************************************************************

A/N: YESS! IT'S FINALLY HERE! Exams. Thats all I'm saying.

I don't even know if this chapter makes any sense because I stayed up until midnight just writing it! So I apologize~ :3

Yeah. Here's a pineapple: *passes you pineapple*.

The good thing is I've started on the next chapter already! And this chapter is EXXTTRRRAAA long, so I'm happy about that.

NOTE: I've tweaked a few things. First of all, I corrected an error. I realized that in the year 3000 or whatever they'd probably already have a cure for the zombie apocalypse, Subaru's would be ancient and they certainly wouldn't be using katana'a and AK47's and year. So the year this story is now set in is the year 2034.

ALSO: I'm changing a bit of Alice and Jett's past. In one of the early chapters (chapter three I think) it states when and how they found out about the apocalypse and all. I'm changing that prior to the next chapter. The rest of the characters pasts will not change.

Anyway, THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING SO PATIENT!!! And thanks for 4,000 reads! YAY! Leave a vote if you liked this chapter.

Until the next chapter,

~Alicion

Update: EDITED. Uh huh that's right. //checks time 11:37 pm OH SHIT THAT'S EARLY MMM'KAY BYE HI YAY WHY.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 118 74
{Completed Story 2018/Continued Series} Book 1: It's been twenty-seven years from now on, an outbreak occurred, causing millions of people dying from...
155K 3.3K 31
I ran as fast as my feet would carry me. My lungs gasped for oxygen. I knew I had to stop, but he could still be following me. I pushed myself harde...
1.8K 75 16
This is my fan fiction of the walking dead and a crossover of the game and the show. After surviving a car crash, the world has changed: filled with...
62.7K 2.8K 77
You were eight when the dead began their reign. It happened in the blink of an eye, and the world around you was unprepared. The walkers simply ascen...