Thou Shalt Not Kill (The Lost...

By hailiebop13

After she and her friend are attacked, Sage moves to a new city. She now works at a bar and only one year int... More

The Meeting
A Therapist's Visit
Dinner and A Hunt
A Blind Date
Neighborly
A Simple Misunderstanding
An Unexpected Trip
A Funeral
A Game of Paintball
Another Day, Another Dollar
The Truth Revealed
Compromise
Holiday Hell
Snow Day
Desire
Decisions
On The Way to Dinner
Prelude To a NeverEnding...Life?
Laddie's Nightmare

Around Town

970 24 3
By hailiebop13

      I woke up to the sunlight warming my face, and then looked at my watch. It was late, I only had an hour to get ready for work. I ran to the bathroom and took a shower, I didn't have time to fix my hair so I threw it up in a bun and wrapped it with some silky black ribbon that matched my dress for tonight. I just put on the basic make-up and grabbed a muffin to eat on the way. I ran inside straight to the bathroom and fixed my bangs to cover my scars. Tonight, would probably be slow since everyone was recovering from their hangovers. I went down stairs, Samantha had a few people in her area and was waiting on them. Bradley was the barkeep tonight and nodded over at me, "The natural look is totally in right now babe. You look stunning." I laughed, Bradley was the greatest gay guy I had ever met. He reminded me of my uncle a lot, I think that's why we work together so well. Bradley and I had been discussing new menu items for the coming spring menu change, when Samantha came over to the bar, "Sage," I looked up from writing, "You have a table waiting." I scrunched my eyebrows together and looked up at a table of four. A man, woman and two kids. I raised an eyebrow, we did allow kids until 8pm but it was still weird.

     I smiled at the lady as I walked over, "Good Evening, my name is Sage, and I'll be your waitress this evening. What can I get you?" She smiled and very warmly replied, "I'll just have a glass of your best red wine and the house salad." I looked at the kids next, well one kid and the other was a teenager. The younger replied first, "I'll have the mac and cheese with a glass of milk please." He smiled at me and then looked up at this brother, "Sam, I don't think she's ugly at all like Marko said." Sam gave him a look to shut up and looked over at me. I must have looked hurt because the first thing out of his mouth was, "I'm sorry Sage, and he shouldn't have said that." I smiled, "It's okay, what would you like?" he shrugged, "What's good here?" I chuckled, "Really and honestly...the roasted chicken is great!" He smiled, "I'll have that then, with water." I nodded and turned to the father, "He smiled comfortingly, "Well, you definitely aren't what I expected after hearing about you all day." I raised an eyebrow, "Oh...I'm sorry to disappoint." He chuckled, "oh no, you miss understand, I'm actually quite impressed." I smiled uncomfortably and waited for him to continue, "Well, I'll also have the roast chicken dinner with a nice glass of white wine."

     When I came back to the bar with their order I gave Bradley a come with me to the Kitchen nod. As soon as we got back there and gave Mitch the order I spoke, "So apparently super-hot guys are related to that little family out there. They talked about me all day long, about how ugly I am or something. The little kid said he didn't think I was ugly at all." They looked at each other and then back at me, "Weird..." The cooks were almost done with the hot dishes so Bradley started plating the salad, "Well, at least you know you make an impression." I chuckled, "Well the dad said he was 'impressed', whatever the hell that means." I took the plates out with a smile and placed them upon the table accordingly, "Is there anything else I can get for you?" I tilted my head to the side and waited. The father took a sip of his wine and looked up into my eyes, "Yes, how long have you lived here, Sage?" I tried to think back to the exact date, "Oh, about a year now, I believe. Why do you ask?" The lady smiled and wiped her mouth, "We were hoping you could tell us about the best schools around here, I need to get the youngest boys enrolled." I nodded and smiled, "Well Bradley might be able to help you there, I think he has lived here his whole life. Let me just go get him for you." She smiled a thank you as I turned to leave. I sent Bradley over to talk about school districts and tended to the customers at the bar itself.

    Right when they were about to leave the father walked up as the gang walked in, "Look, Sage, if my older boys cause any trouble, any at all, you just let me know. I'm Max, just give me a call." He gave me a card and left. The mother turned and waved a slight goodbye. I nodded back, how weird this day was turning out to be. The older boys had decided to sit at the same table from last night. I made my way over to them and noticed Sam had stayed, I looked at my watch it was 6pm. I pointed at him, "Sam you must leave in a few hours, okay?" He frowned, "How come?" I replied, "Well at 8 we turn into an adult's only club." He frowned but nodded. "As for the rest of the table, what can I get you?" I looked at them all individually awaiting a response. Star spoke up first, "We were wondering if you could take the night off and show us around town." I gasped, "oh, well that can't happen. I barely make enough as it is so calling in for the evening is not an option." I hesitated, "But...I am off tomorrow night, if you want to meet somewhere I could show you around then." Stars face brightened up, "That'd be great!" I smiled, I have a feeling being the only girl gets lonely. The rest of the group promptly began ordering drinks since plans had been changed.

     Marko looked me up and down as Bradley and I brought the order over, "Damn girl, why do you look so different tonight." I raised an eyebrow, "Maybe because I have actual clothes on." Bradley laughed and had to walk away. Marko stood up and continued to stare, "Well, want to dance?" I chuckled, "What happened to my being ugly." He looked down at the table before looking back up, "I have no right to call a woman ugly until I get to know her." I was taken aback and didn't know how to answer, "Well?" I looked out at the floor and then back at his cute face, "Well...one dance can't hurt." He smiled and pushed Michael and star out of the booth to get to me. He offered his arm which I accepted. I glanced back at Bradley who shrugged and waved me on. The music changed to a slow song and I immediately regretted my decision, Michael and star joined us to make it not so awkward. Marko behaved like a gentleman throughout event, making small talk I learned they just moved from Santa Carla and they were all adopted by Max. Lucy and Max had just gotten married two years ago, Michael and Sam where her biological children. In turn I explained that I had just moved here about a year ago from a small town in Oregon and that I had one cat named small paws.

     After the dance, I walked backed to the table where he tried to grab my ass. I swatted his hand away, David gave him a look that made him apologize. I shrugged, "It happens. Anyone need any refills." They all nodded so I went to get them. I walked behind the bar and turned to help a customer when I realized it was David, "Sage..." I stared into his eyes, so piercing, so severe, so stormy blue, "David?" He chuckled, it was deep and resonated. I took in a deep breath and finished making their drinks, "Well, you could help me carry this back to your friends." He stood up and grabbed his and Dwayne's. The rest fit on my tray, as we walked I couldn't help but feel his eyes on me, roaming me over. "Here we are," I stated as I set the drinks down. Soon it was time for Sam to leave, I pointed at him and then at my watch, he seemed to understand and grabbed Michael for a ride home. I quickly intercepted them, "Excuse me. What do you think you are doing?" They both looked startled, "I'm giving my brother a ride home." Michael stared into my eyes but I looked down at Sam, "Risking his life. I think not. You have been drinking, I'll drive him home."

     I ran upstairs and grabbed my purse. I glanced at Trent, "I'll be back, I need to drive a kid home." He nodded and waved me off. I glared at Michael I was walked past him, "Come on Sam, we can stop someplace if you like?" He smiled and headed out with me, "Do you have any comic book stores?" I thought about it as we got into the car, "Actually, I think we do. It might be closed by now though." He slumped, "Oh it's okay, you can just take me home." I laughed, "No, we will still drive by. Even if they are closed you can get their hours so your mom can take you another time." He nodded but didn't seem too happy about it. Sadly, they were closed but I got out and wrote down the hours for him. As we drove to his house I felt bad, "I'm sorry you couldn't get your comics Sam." He shrugged, "it's okay, thanks for trying though. It means a lot." I pulled into the driveway and parked near the backdoor, "Hey! How did you know where I lived?" He looked at me freaked out, "I live just down the street, I saw you moving in on my way home last night." He smiled, "That's cool! Would you mind if I came over sometime?" I shrugged, "Why not." He smiled and then ran inside.

        Back at work the gang had left so all I had left to do was pretend to clean the counters more. Bradley kept hounding me with questions I couldn't answer and finally it was time to go home. As soon as I arrived, I stripped to my underwear and ate some leftovers in the fridge. I watched an old re-run of foster's home for imaginary friends and then went to sleep. I woke up to my cat pawing at my nose. I laughed and tickled her, "Hey that was mean you." I got up and took a long shower, tomorrow was my appointment with Dr. Greenfield. I need to talk to her about these guys for sure. I dressed in some jeans and a t-shirt since I would be walking around a lot later this evening. Opening the fridge, I found a peach and some hard-boiled eggs. Well...girls got to eat. I peeled the eggs and cut up the peach and then walked outside to the bridge over the stream. I glanced at the gazebo...I hadn't played around in there recently but I felt the need too. I sat down and dangled my feet into the water and ate my breakfast.

     My reflection looked sad, but I didn't feel sad. In fact, I was excited to show these people around tonight even though I barely know them. Maybe I was recovering more than I had thought. I watched the birds for a little while before heading back inside. Small paws was waiting by the back door with a dead mouse as a gift. I thanked her and we both went in, I walked out to the mailbox and checked the mail. Down the street I saw Sam checking their mail as well, we waved at each other. I waited until about 7pm to head over the bar, when I opened my front door I was surprised to see them about to ring the doorbell. Star was in-front and Michael slightly behind her. David followed and then the rest of the boys, I opened my door, "Well, hello...come in?" They smiled a secretive type of smile and walked in, David kind of smirked and nodded as he passed by, his eyes glancing down and then up.

      As everyone found a place to sit I played hostess and pour them all glasses of lemonade and set out some tea biscuits and a veggie tray. Paul looked at the food and back up, "You're kidding, right?" I glared, "I wasn't exactly expecting company so you get what I have." David shrugged and took a biscuit, it seemed funny so I chuckled. He looked up at me, "What?" I broke into laughter, "Well, it's pretty funny to see such a foreboding guy eat such a delicate cookie." He chuckled, "I guess it is." I took that as my que and grabbed my keys, "Well, you can help me go grocery shopping in exchange for showing you around tonight." They nodded, Star stood up, "What's all upstairs? I looked at the stair case shrugging, "Just my bedroom." She looked confused, "Does someone live here with you?" I shrugged again, "Just my cat...why?" She shrugged this time, "just wondered." I walked to the door, "Alright enough chit-chat everyone out." They stood and walked out after me.

      I locked the door, everyone had proceeded to get on their bikes. I dropped my shoulders, fine I'll drive by myself, I thought. I headed towards my car when David called me, "Sage." I looked over at him and his expression made it clear that he wanted me to get on his bike. I hesitated...what if this was a trap and they were killers, well hopefully they aren't. Star seems nice enough, I walked over towards him and he offered a hand to help me on. Being this close brought body doubts into my mind, I mean here I am chest to back of the hottest guy I've ever met, and he made sure to wrap my arms around his waist, "Hold on." He said briskly before starting the engine. I gulped as he drove down the drive and onto the road. The guys behind us chuckled, "which way?" I pointed to the left and off we went. They all hooted and hollered as we drove faster into town. They were dangerous, shifting through cars, on and off sidewalks, and speeding through stop signs. It was fun, I'll admit. Occasionally, we would hit a bump and David would chuckle as I tightened my grip around him. I could feel his muscles through the fabric, it whole ride was erotic to say the least. Finally, we arrived at the mall, I figured star would love it.

     We parked near the front entrance and made our way thru the doors. Instantly I could feel everyone staring at them, it was very awkward, at least to me. The boys seemed to enjoy it; Paul was already off flirting with a group of girls. Star fell into step next to me, "So, which stores do you like, Sage?" I smiled at her as we walked, "I love to go into the crystal store. I will never be able to afford anything in there, but it is all so beautiful." She nodded, "Let's go there first." I led them to the escalator and it took us down to the first floor. Marko and Dwayne went into the massage chair store when they realized where we were going. Michael seemed attached to Star at the hip and David flirted slightly with the cashier. I always started with the animal figurines, the penguin was my favorite. Then onto the jewelry which is where Star and Michael were. Star smiled, "I love these jewels, they're so bright and glittery." I laughed, "Yeah, my favorite is this one." I pointed at a small rose gold bracelet that had sweet pea flowers on it. After I had eyed the jewels to my heart's content I walked out of the store to sit beside Paul and wait for the others to join us.

    It didn't take too long before Marko and Dwayne came out of the store to wait too. Dwayne nudged my arm, "Who is that guy?" I looked over in the direction he was pointing, I immediately stood and turned away so he couldn't see me face, "No, one important." Marko raised an eyebrow, "Sure seems that way. What is his name?" I sighed, "Ricky...he was one of the first guys I went out with when I moved here." I looked down at my feet, "He was an asshole, he cheated on me and things didn't end too well." Star appeared next to me grinning, Michael and David in toe. David gave me his sexy smirk as he leaned against the railing before turning to watch the crowds down below. As I began to ask where she wanted to go next I was interrupted, "Sage?" I stopped moving, stopped breathing and couldn't move. "Don't bother pretending it isn't you, I'd recognize that fat-ass anywhere." I rolled my eyes turning towards him and replied sarcastically, "Hello, Ricky." He and his friends walked up to us. He put his arm on my shoulder and looked me in the eyes, "Has she let you fuck her yet?" He eyed the guys one by one, "Let's see, is it just one of you or all of you...I bet it's all."

      David walked up beside me and the others stood up straight and moved in closer. He smirked looking back at me, "She always was a little kinky. I'll tell you what though, the best view of her...is always from behind boys." He used his other hand to push away the bangs from my face, "That way you can't see this." He turned me around and rubbed my scar all the way down to where it ended under my shirt. They all saw the scar, I closed my eyes and tried to wish this all away. "Sure is ugly isn't it, worse than her being overweight if you ask me...such a pity." David grabbed me by the waist and pulled me away from Ricky and shoved me behind him, "I think it's time for you to leave." His voice was deeper than normal, and seemed...scary. Ricky laughed "Well, I think I've done my job here so I think we will. See you around, blondie." With that he walked away.

      I felt a tear run down my cheek as they watched them leave. He was my second biggest mistake. Star grabbed my hand, "It's okay, Sage, it's okay." I looked at her and for the first time, I believed that it would be. David let go of my waist and lit a cigarette, "Let's go boys." He looked at me wiping the tear away, "We have something to go do. You and Star keep shopping." I nodded, his eyes seemed to say something but I couldn't tell what. The others started laughing and they all walked toward the escalator. Star led me the opposite way, "how did you ever meet him?" I laughed, "I ask myself that all the time." She stopped in-front of Victoria secret, "I think some new lingerie would help us both out!" I giggled and looked at the tiny bra in the mirror, "Oh, Star, we can shop here for you. My store is upstairs." She looked at me with confusion, and I pointed to her boobs, "Apples," then pointed at mine, "Watermelons." She laughed out loud and covered her mouth as people looked at us. We walked in and found several things for her to try on, she ending up buying a new pink number. She was too sweet; I could see why Michael loved her.

      She grabbed my hand and made me skip over to the stairs, "Your turn!" I smiled and looked at my watch, it was 11 pm. I hadn't realized how long we had been out. When we entered Torrid I noticed Eliza, Bradley's sister, who stopped by the club every Thursday and Saturday. "Sage! I have something I think you will love!" She was always energetic and had great taste. She looked at Star as she came around with a new dress, "Who is this?" I introduced them, "Eliza this is Star, a friend of mine. Star this is Eliza, also a friend of mine." They shook hands and then she held the dress up for me to see it. It was heart-cut on the top part with dropped sleeves and a body hugging cut down to the knees. I grabbed it, "Its perfect!" Star smiled and pointed to some bras, I sighed, "Okay, okay." Eliza left us to our own devices, Star kept shoving things into my dressing room saying, "Ooo, what about this one!?" I laughed as I put on the final one, "I think you have made me try on everything in the store, girl, my arms are starting to hurt." I heard a low chuckle, "Maybe you should let me see." It was David. I smiled at the idea, "Nah, that's okay. I have picked one out already." He seemed disappointed, "That's too bad."

       When I opened the door, David was leaning against the wall waiting for me, he smirked and grabbed me by the hand, "Come on, let's go check out." I nodded following him, loving the feeling of his hand holding me. I tried to imagine what they would look like ungloved but Eliza brought me out of my daydreaming, "85.62, sweetheart." I smiled and slid my card over to her. She gave me an approving nod towards David to which I rolled my eyes, "Have a nice night, Eliza." She waved at us as we walked out. The others were waiting at the bikes. David helped me onto his bike, "Where to now?" I tried to think of somewhere that looked cool this time of night..." well, there is this swimming hole..." All the boys whistled and hollered. I took that as approval and told David how to get there. In 30 minutes, we arrived at an old barn. I led the way past it into the dark woods and took out a flashlight, "Stay close." David bumped into me on purpose, I looked up at him with a fake frown, "You said stay close." Shaking my head, I shined the light out in front of us. It didn't take long before I found it, rocks surrounded a decent sized pond that came off a stream from the lake.

      The rocks had fool's gold lining them which reflected the moon light enough that I didn't need the flashlight anymore. I sat down on one of the rocks and rolled up my pants to stick my legs into the cool water. When I turned around the boys had stripped down to their underwear. David took off his coat and tossed it on the ground next to me. He sat down and stuck his legs in the water. The others jumped and started splashing around, Paul looked over at me "aw, Sage how come you're not getting in?" I thought about it for a moment, "I just don't want to go swimming with such a pervert." I smiled twitching my nose to make it funny. Paul splashed me, "yeah, yeah."

      David chuckled and kicked water back at him. He turned serious and looked at me, "Sage, how did you get those...scars?" I slumped, "Well, I got them a year ago, when I still lived back in Portland." I kicked at the water a bit remembering what had happened, "I was out shopping my friend Kayla. We decided to take a side street to get to a restaurant faster. These people came from ahead of us and from behind us. They were different, I couldn't see their faces, but you could feel how evil they were in the air. Before we had the chance to run...they attacked. Like animals, they ripped at our clothes. They had claws that ripped into my flesh...I could hear Kayla screaming." I tried to fight them off but one of them grabbed me by my hair and thrust my face upwards toward the sky. I watched as one of the others ripped into Kayla's throat blood squirted everywhere. I remember it splashing my face. The horror finally hit when I saw the face of my attacker." I looked at David whose stare had become like stone and everyone had stopped playing around and were listening. I kept looking at him, "She had such an evil face...demonic, even. Her teeth were elongated like fangs. I immediately thought "Vampire"." I shook my head, "I was pretty high on adrenaline. The cops showed up just in the time. Apparently, we were the third attack of the evening. A local gang, they said, devil worshipers. Kayla didn't make it." I stood up and took my shirt off, "Me...I survived, with this." The light shone on my body enough to show the scar. One line down the left side of my face, turning into three down my throat and four down onto my left breast. I put my shirt back on and then my shoes, "I think it's time to go home now."

      Everyone was quiet on the ride back to my place. When we got there, I got off David's bike and started up to the door when David grabbed my hand and kissed it softly. The look on his face was pained. I smiled at the gesture, "Goodnight, everyone." Star was the only one who answered, very softly, "Goodnight."

      I unlocked the door and heard them drive away as I went inside. Small Paws was curled up waiting for me and ran behind me as I made my way upstairs. As I tucked myself into bed it dawned on me.... we didn't go grocery shopping! I didn't sleep very well, my nightmare played over and over. The only thing that made it better was the final little detail before waking up. Instead of the cops, David came and rescued me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

736 25 7
π‹πŽπ’πˆππ† 𝐌𝐘 π‘π„π‹πˆπ†πˆπŽπ. 𝘡𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘡𝘰𝘳𝘺 π˜ͺ𝘯 𝘸𝘩π˜ͺ𝘀𝘩 𝘒 𝘀𝘒𝘡𝘩𝘰𝘭π˜ͺ𝘀 𝘨π˜ͺ𝘳𝘭 π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘡𝘒𝘳𝘨𝘦𝘡𝘦π˜₯ 𝘣𝘺 𝘒 𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘡 𝘣𝘰𝘺 𝘰�...
50.4K 1.1K 16
She was everything her siblings weren't; quiet and shy. But her world is turned upside down when a simple apology turns into something more. They wer...
9.9K 220 10
Adelia and her three friends go to Santa Carla, the murder capital of the world, for the summer and stay the summer at one of the girl's aunt's house...
62K 1.5K 18
Belladonna Emerson was just looking to start a new life in Santa Carla with her family. She had no idea what lurked in the shadows of the boardwalk u...