After Story: Compassion

By Magnus_Prime

An 'After' story based on Ryou's route from the VN/Anime 'Clannad'. The ex-delinquent and the reforming shy g... More

Chapter One: A Day in the Life
Chapter Two: Future Plans
Chapter Three: Dramatic Assistance
Chapter Four: Festive Assistance
Chapter Five: Fuuko's Chapter
Chapter Six: The Needs of the Many
Chapter Seven: Complications
Chapter Eight: Misfortune-Telling
Chapter Nine: Life Whiplash
Chapter Ten: Failed Isolation
Chapter Eleven: Thirst for Knowledge
Chapter Twelve: After-School Detention
Chapter Thirteen: A Proposition
Chapter Fourteen: Date on a Limb
Chapter Fifteen: A Break in the Action
Chapter Sixteen: Work Day
Chapter Seventeen: Final Preparations
Chapter Eighteen: Festivities
Chapter Nineteen: A Shocking Revelation
Chapter Twenty: Getting Acquainted
Chapter Twenty-One: When it Rains...
Chapter Twenty-Two: Seeking Shelter
Chapter Twenty-Three: Settling In
Chapter Twenty-Four: Plan of Attack
Chapter Twenty-Five: Amuse-ment Park
Chapter Twenty-Six: Heart Condition
Chapter Twenty-Eight: A Brief History Lesson
Chapter Twenty-Nine: An Eventful Lunch
Chapter Thirty: Desired Effects
Chapter Thirty-One: Home Caring
Chapter Thirty-Two: Hospital Visit
Chapter Thirty-Three: Sending Her Home
Chapter Thirty-Four: A Girl's Heart
Chapter Thirty-Five: Solutions
Chapter Thirty-Six: A Fresh Perspective
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Confessions
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Birthday Blessings
Chapter Thirty-Nine: A Heavy Gift
Chapter Forty: Separation Anxiety
Chapter Forty-One: Mental Blocks
Chapter Forty-Two: The Return
Chapter Forty-Three: A Friendly Get-Together
Chapter Forty-Four: Dinner Date
Chapter Forty-Five: Murmurings of the Future
Epilogue - I Live to Serve

Chapter Twenty-Seven: Supporting Roles

27 2 0
By Magnus_Prime

The next day, I stopped by Furukawa Bakery to check on Kyou. I'd never seen her upset like that before so I was worried about her.

"She's doing fine," Sanae said when I asked; Nagisa and Akio had taken Kyou out grocery shopping. "We took a bath, I brushed her hair, and she went to bed without fuss."

"You make her sound like a little girl," I half-joked.

"In a sense, that's what she is right now; girls' hearts are very sensitive, and hers was broken last night," she replied with a gentle smile.

It made sense; while she could be as vicious as any boy under the right circumstances, Kyou could also be very caring and loving toward others. Of course, I hadn't seen much of the former lately, which was a relief.

"She is a very sweet girl who was hurt while making herself vulnerable."

"But Jeff-I mean, Pastor Ashton didn't mean-"

"It doesn't matter what he meant as far as how it affected her," Sanae replied. "Pastor Ashton is a very kind man and I'm sure he let her down as gently as he could, but it still hurt her."

"I get that," I said with a sigh. "Do you know when she'll be back? I want to talk to her about him...I mean, if she's up to it."

"She should be back by lunch," she said with her usual smile. "You're welcome to wait here if you wish; I wouldn't mind the company."

I had to admit that it was tempting; Sanae was a lot of fun to talk to, but... "Thanks, but I probably should check on the pastor; he seemed pretty shaken up by last night, too."

"He's such a good man," she said. "I do hope he's all right."

***

"Glory to God, Pastor Ash-oh, wait...I'm answering the door, not the phone," he grunted as he rubbed at his eyes. "Oh, Tomoya; good morning."

"Doesn't look like it," I observed. "Did you sleep okay last night?"

"I'm not sure," he said, leaning heavily against the doorway. "Man, I hope I don't get any home-visit calls today; I need a day off from my day off. Come on in," he said, waving me inside. "I'll assume that you're here to check up on me."

"Yeah," I admitted with a chuckle as I passed through the doorway. "I'm worried about you and Kyou, to be honest."

"Thanks," he said. "Have you seen her yet?"

"Not yet. I stopped by the bakery, but only Sanae-san was there; apparently the other two had taken her out to help with shopping."

"I see," he said as we entered his office. "I feel bad that I upset her, but..."

"Jessica," I said, to which he simply nodded as we settled into our chairs. "Yeah, I'd like to talk to you about her if that's-"

I was interrupted by his desk phone. "Sorry," he said. "I'll try to make this quick."

I watched his expression as he took the call. It was interesting watching how he handled it; even though he was obviously tired he managed to find the energy to be polite and kind and thoughtful.

"Okay," he said as he wrote something on a piece of paper. "I'll be over shortly."

"Everything okay?" I asked as he hung up.

He looked at me and sighed heavily. "Sorry, but...well, it's a home visit."

"Figures," I grunted as we both rose to our feet. "What's the matter?"

"A man died in a bus accident, leaving behind a wife and two kids," he explained as we headed back to the main doors. "I need to make sure the family's doing okay...all things considered."

"Can I come?" I asked.

"Tomoya, this is serious; there will be tears and stories and...well, children."

"I won't get in your way...I promise," I said as we stopped just before the main doors.

He studied me for a minute. "All right, fine," he conceded. "Just...let me do the talking, okay?"

I thought back to the situation with the Miyazawas; I'd have to follow up on that another time. "Understood, sir."

"Good," he said as he reached for the handle. "Let's go, then."

We had been walking for several minutes when I got the feeling that we were being followed. I looked behind us to find... "Uh, Pastor? We're, uh, being followed...I think."

He glanced over his shoulder, did a double-take, then came to a complete stop. "Hoo boy..."

"G-Good morning," Ryou greeted as she walked up to us with her sister in tow. "We were coming to the church because we heard that Okazaki-kun had stopped by the bakery earlier."

"Did you see us leaving or something?" I asked.

She nodded. "Where are you going...I-If you don't mind m-me asking?"

Jeff and I looked at each other, and I pressed my lips together, hopefully communicating to him that I wouldn't say anything. "We're headed to a home visit," he said. "Bus accident victim's family."

"How terrible," Ryou said sympathetically. "M-May we come along?"

Jeff and I looked at each other again. "It's your call, boss," I said, acknowledging my position. "But if you ask me, they'd be good for the kids, if nothing else."

He sighed as his eyes briefly lost focus, and I took the opportunity to glance over at Kyou to check on her; she watched Jeff's face with what looked like a mixture of sadness and hope.

"All right," he finally said. "But we need to hurry; they're waiting, and I've already made us later with this."

As he moved off at a faster pace, Ryou and I exchanged relieved smiles before hurrying to catch up.

***

"Thank you for coming," the young woman said in a trembling voice. "Please excuse the mess; I wanted to have the place ready for when you arrived."

"Please don't worry about it," Pastor Ashton said in a kind voice as he entered her home; Ryou followed him in, still holding hands with her sister who followed, while I brought up the rear. "You have a lot going on right now. How are you holding up? Are you doing okay?"

"As well as can be expected, I suppose," she replied as she settled onto her couch, wiping her eyes. She gestured to a couple of small children playing on the floor; the older kid looked to be about six years old. "I have to be strong for the children right now; they're wondering when their dad's going to be home."

"Well, for now, let us be strong for you," he said, indicating himself along with the rest of us. How could he be so strong with as tired as he was? "How old are they?" he asked, indicating the children playing on the floor, blissfully ignorant of our presence it seemed.

"The younger one, Aiko, is three and her older brother, Kazuo, is six."

"How precious," he said with a gentle smile as he looked down at them.

The boy looked up from his activities and his eyes widened as he saw us. "M-Mommy? Who are all these people?"

"They're here to visit us for a while," she said, forcing a smile to her face. "Why don't you say 'hi'?"

"Hey, kiddo," Jeff greeted, dipping his head in a bow. "I'm Pastor Ashton; nice to meet you."

The boy wrinkled his nose. "What a funny name."

"Kazuo!" his mother scolded. "Don't be rude!"

"Sorry."

As Jeff continued his conversation, I looked over to check on the twins. Ryou was watching the exchange between the boy and Pastor Ashton with interest, but Kyou was obviously watching the little girl as she watched her brother talk with the pastor. I subtly waved a hand to get Kyou's attention then angled my head toward the girl as a hint.

A smile flickered across her face, and she slid from her seat onto the floor next to the girl. "Hiya, cutie! What's your name?"

The girl eyed her warily. "Aiko."

"What a pretty name for such a pretty girl," Kyou cooed.

"Th-Thank you."

As the two started to play, I shifted my attention to Ryou, who was still transfixed by Pastor Ashton's conversation with the boy. I was transfixed myself as I watched her expressions change; sometimes her eyes would widen, or her lips would part slightly before resolving into a smile...but most of the time she had a peaceful expression, which warmed my heart.

I couldn't help myself; I was still madly in love with Fujibayashi Ryou.

***

Jeff rubbed vigorously at his face as we left the house. "I...am...exhausted!" he exclaimed, leaning heavily against a wall once we were a good distance away from the house. "You kids can go on ahead; I need a minute or two to pull myself together."

"Naw, we'll stay with you," I said.

"It wouldn't be right to leave you behind," Ryou remarked.

Kyou quietly moved up behind the pastor and started carefully massaging his back. "Ah, that feels great," he grunted as he closed his eyes. "I need that after a day like this...thanks Jessi-" His eyes snapped open and he quickly whipped his head around to see Kyou stepping away from him. "Um..."

"I'm sorry," she squeaked, clasping her hands before her.

He looked at me, and I did my best to give him an apologetic look. His sigh and nod told me that he understood. "Let's go to my office," he grunted again as he heaved himself from the wall. "I guess I have some explaining to do."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 84 28
An 'After' story based on Kyou's route from the VN/Anime 'Clannad'. Many changes come to Tomoya and Kyou as they grow as individuals and as a couple...
41.7K 1.3K 19
The Kingdom of Karasuno was left devastated 7 years ago causing it's fall in power and glory. They lost their King and their Queen and left behind th...
743 46 27
Based on the common route from the Visual Novel 'Clannad'. Figuring that Kotomi's in good hands with the Theater Club, Tomoya finds himself caught up...
8K 354 28
This story is about a vampire girl falling in love with tsurugi kyousuke. It all startes with tsurugi finding a watch. After he found it, strange th...