Chapter Nineteen: A Shocking Revelation

"Well done, Okazaki!" Pastor Ashton exclaimed as he clapped me on my good shoulder. "I've never acted before, but it sure seemed like you were feeling those lines! Hey, I'll be right back; I'm going to get drinks for us." And before I could say a word, he was threading his way through the crowd back to the booths.

I sighed heavily as I fanned myself with the hat from my costume; the thing was sweltering. I had planned to head back to change, but didn't want to be rude by being gone when he returned. So I stayed right where I was, sweltering and trying to accept praise from the people who had watched the play.

"Tomoya!" I heard a happy cry and looked up to see Kyou rushing up to me, dragging her sister with her. "You were awesome up there!"

"I wasn't 'up' anywhere, but thanks," I said, then leveled my gaze at the younger twin. "Hello, Fujibayashi."

"H-Hi," she greeted in her traditional meek manner. "Y-You did a r-really good job w-with your performance."

"Thanks," I said. I watched her for another moment before I decided to risk it: "I was thinking of you when I said my lines, you know."

"Eh? Wh-Why?" she stammered. "I-I'm nobody special..."

To my surprise, Kyou watched our exchange but said nothing.

"I disagree, but I understand you feel that way." I sighed. "I just wish..." I trailed off as I saw Kyou's eyes widen, and my stomach slithered to my shoes as I realized what she must have been reacting to.

"Here you go, Okazaki-san!" Pastor Ashton joined our group and handed me a cold can. "Miss Kyou, it's good to see you again. And this must be your sister?"

Kyou nodded dumbly as she stared up into his face, and I wondered how many swords I'd have to fall on to get her out of this one.

Apparently realizing that her 'Onee-chan' wasn't going to take the lead, Ryou stepped forward and bowed politely. "I'm Fujibayashi Ryou; it's nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you as well," he said, returning her bow. "My name is Jeff Ashton; call me whatever you want, as long as it's not a profanity. I'm a pastor at a local...well, I guess the only church."

She giggled; man, I missed that sound. "We don't have many churches, that's true. If you don't mind me asking; what religion are you?"

"Christian, non-denominational."

"Interesting..." she put her hand to her mouth as she thought. "What do you think of tarot cards?"

He blinked. "Well! I wasn't expecting a theological discussion sosoon!" He gave me a sideways glance as though looking for my approval, to which I simply shrugged. "How about we let Okazaki-san get changed before he melts into his costume, and we can get some ice cream and sit in the shade?"

"Sounds good to me," Ryou agreed with a cute smile that I had to fight to not get sucked into. "Onee-chan?"

For some reason, Kyou looked like she wanted to run. Why was she so afraid of the pastor? Then it hit me; maybe she'd been hurt by a priest in the past or something. Since she wouldn't tell me what her specific problem was, though, I really had no arguments that I could use to defend her.

"O-Okay..." she finally managed to say.

He clapped me on the shoulder; my good one, fortunately. "We'll wait out here while you get changed and then we'll head over, okay?"

"Sounds good," I agreed while glancing repeatedly at Kyou.

I changed as quickly as I could while desperately trying to figure out a way to get my friend away from...well, my other friend.