Chapter Thirty-Two: Hospital Visit

The cool air had a clean smell to it as Ryou and I passed through the automatic double-doors into the hospital. I felt oddly at peace as we walked up to the reception desk. "I'm Okazaki Tomoya, standing in for Pastor Jeff Ashton," I told her.

"Ah, yes; thank you for coming," the receptionist – 'Sakura' was the name on her nametag – said, then pointed to a hallway to my left. "The emergency rooms are down at the end of that hall; you can't miss it."

"Should I change into my uniform?" Ryou asked.

"Ah, Ryou-san!" Sakura exclaimed, clearly glad to see her. "I don't know if they have room for any more down there, but you're more than welcome to check."

"Understood," Ryou replied. "Tomoya-kun, I know where the emergency room is, so I can take you there if you want."

I grinned awkwardly. "L-Lead the way."

She gave me a cute smile before heading toward the hallway that Sakura had pointed out. It was a fairly long hallway, with many rooms on each side. "What are these for?" I asked.

"People are moved here from the main emergency room once they've been stabilized," she said. "You might be visiting people in these rooms, but for now we'll go to the main room at the end of this hall."

"Got it," I said.

An attractive girl with long black hair with purple stripes waited by the double doors at the end of the hall. "Ryou-san! Oh good, they could really use your help in there!"

"Understood," Ryou acknowledged. "Excuse me, Tomoya-kun; I need to go change."

"Okay," I said, then grinned self-consciously. "See you on the other side, I guess."

"Right through here," the attractive girl said.

"Okay...I'll just need a minute first," I told her.

She simply smiled with a nod and left me to...whatever I needed to do.

I released a shuddering breath as I turned to the nearest wall and leaned heavily against it. What the hell was I doing? On the other side of the wall were injured and dying people, and I thought that I could stand in for a pastor? Was my pride really that...? "Oh, man..."

Then I remembered; what was I there for? To take care of people to the best of my ability. I remembered how Pastor Jeff took care of the Miyazawas as well as the young mother who had lost her husband. "If you're there, God, help me do this." I took one final, deep breath and passed through the doors.

It was mayhem on the other side; people on beds filled the room, while doctors and nurses hurried from bed to bed, examining them, giving them shots...

I saw an elderly woman lying on a bed nearby, and I felt myself drawn to her. "Hello, ma'am," I greeted as my poor brain rushed to find what the pastor would do. "I'm Okazaki Tomoya, standing in for Pastor Ashton. How are you feeling?"

"I've been better," she croaked, then coughed. "I'm just glad that I was at the front of the bus when the train hit, but..."

"So it hit the back of the bus?"

She nodded, coughing again.

"I-Is there anything I can do for you? C-Can I p-pray for you?"

She managed a smile as she reached up with a shaking hand, which I took in both of mine. "You poor thing; you're so nervous, aren't you? Yes, I would love it if you'd pray for me. I go to Glory to God, so I'd appreciate it."

I closed my eyes – more like squeezed them shut – and gave myself a moment to focus, then: "Lord, please help...I'm sorry, what's your name, ma'am?"