Chapter Three: Dramatic Assistance

I wasn't feeling very hungry the next morning, so I skipped breakfast and headed out the door to meet with Ryou.

"I-I-I'm sorry about last night," Ryou said as a greeting. "I-I shouldn't have forced you to eat all those cookies."

"You didn't force me," I replied. "If anyone should be sorry, it should be Kyou; she tried to do your job, after all," I finished with a wink.

"T-Tomoya-kun..." she giggled.

On theway to school we met up with a surprise in the form of: "Okazaki-san!" Ryou andI looked to see Furukawa running toward us from the direction of her home, andmy mind flashed back to when she invited me to stay with her family. Inhindsight, I was glad that I decided not to for two reasons: One, I wouldn'thave had the chance to get to know Ryou and Two, I didn't think I would've beenable to handle all of her parents' antics.

Since my free hand was carrying my bag, I lifted our joined hands in greeting. "'Morning, Furukawa."

For some reason, her pace slowed and her smile faded. "Wh-Who's your friend?"

We came to a stop so Ryou could release my hand and bow politely. "P-Pleased to meet you. My name is F-Fujibayashi Ryou. I'm the class representative for Class 3-D, and Tomoya-kun's girlfriend."

Furukawa's expression appeared anxious as she looked back and forth between us before resolving into a smile. "Well, c-congratulations to you two!"

"Thanks," I replied as I reclaimed my girl's hand. "Did you need something from us, or did you just want to walk to school together?"

"Actually, I was hoping to talk to you about the Theater Club..."

"Oh, crap..." I had forgotten all about that. "I'm sorry, Furukawa, I forgot. Here, come on." As we continued on our way I looked toward Ryou. "I had forgotten, but I promised that I'd help her find members for the Theater Club."

"I-I see..." I watched as she took a deep breath. "W-Well, it's important to keep your promises..."

"I'm sorry, cutie...is there any way we can make this work?"

"D-Don't worry about it, Okazaki-san," Furukawa interrupted. "I'm the club president, so I should be trying my best to recruit."

"F-Furukawa-san? I-If Tomoya-kun promised to h-help you, th-then he needs to help you," Ryou said.

"Besides, what kind of man would I be if I didn't keep my promises?" I asked, as I gave my girlfriend's hand a squeeze. "Ryou and I'll make it work."

"May-Maybe I could help you, too?" Ryou offered.

A look of anxiety flashed across Furukawa's face again; if I hadn't been watching her face I would have missed it. "That...That would be wonderful!" she exclaimed. "Th-Thank you very much!"

"Y-You're welcome," Ryou replied, then looked to me. "Maybe we could talk about it during lunch?"

I mulled it over. "I'm fine with it if you are," I said. "We can work out the details and get started, however late we may be."

Furukawa jogged a short distance ahead of us and turned to face us, bringing us to a halt. "I'll see you at lunch, then!" With that she turned again and ran ahead of us to school.

"What a sweet girl," Ryou observed as we watched her retreating form.

"Yeah..."I replied somewhat absently; something wasn't right...

***

"I've got a few first-years interested, but it's not enough," Furukawa explained as she sat next to my girl on the stone wall; I stood next to them, munching on my anpan.