Epilogue - I Live to Serve

"Okazaki-sensei?"

"Yes?" I said as I looked up from my studies to the pretty young nurse who stood anxiously before me. "Hello, Reina. What can I do for you?"

"There's a young man in Room 292 who seems...well, depressed."

I bookmarked my Bible, tucked it under my arm and collected my jacket before following her to the room in question. "How's your day been so far?"

"Busy," she complained. "I like taking care of the patients, but it can be pretty tiring sometimes."

"I'll bet," I said sympathetically. "I know that I used to think the nurses had it pretty easy until I met Ryou. Now I think that, in some ways, you have it harder than the doctors."

"Thank you," she said with a light blush. "I appreciate you saying that."

"So are you getting used to the place?" I asked. "This is your first time working as a nurse, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is," she replied. "Getting used to the routines was...difficult, but I think I'm getting the hang of it." I could feel her studying me and I knew what her next question would be. "So...if you don't mind me asking; how long have you been a hospital chaplain?"

I still had to search my memory to be sure. Ryou and I had married about two years after graduating; I didn't want to be a burden on her while I figured myself out, so she waited patiently until, like C.S. Lewis, the Lord dragged me kicking and screaming into the faith. Unfortunately, Kyou wanted a double-wedding, so she and Jeff ended up waiting those two years until I was ready to become an associate pastor at his church. It took only a few weeks for us to realize that I wasn't a good fit for a pastor, but Pastor Jeff suggested that I try being a hospital chaplain. The hospital that Ryou worked at was willing to give me a chance, so we agreed on a trial period and, after three months, the hospital brought me on full time. "About...three years now? Sounds about right."

"Three years, huh?" She appeared to be lost in thought. "Hey, have you heard about the big accident that happened about five years ago? I guess the emergency room was really full."

I smiled at the familiar story.

"The priest who was supposed to show up was sick, so some high-school kid showed up and somehow took care of everybody; I guess he wasn't even very religious at the time, if I understood the story correctly."

"I would say that I was in the very early part of my journey to Christ, though I didn't realize it at the time," I said. "I had been around Pastor Jeff for a while, and his teachings were starting to grow on me."

Dead silence for several seconds, then: "Wait...are you saying you're the high-schooler from the story?"

I stopped and enjoyed the look of shock on her face as she turned. "Chaplain Okazaki Tomoya; I live to serve," I said with a bow.

Shock turned to a smile as realization washed across her face. "Oh, wow! So...So that was you!"

I nodded humbly as I gestured down the hallway to Room 292.

She turned into a maelstrom of questions, like 'Are the stories true?' and 'Were you scared?' and I answered them to the best of my ability.

"When I look back," I concluded, "I see all the ways that God was working in my life, though I will freely admit that I would likely have called you names had you tried to point it out to me then. Ah, here's 292," I announced as we arrived. "This is the place, yes?"

"Yes, sir," she said fidgeting. "Before you go, could I say one more thing? I know we'll probably see each other later, but..."

"Go right ahead," I replied.