Chapter Sixteen: Work Day

Pastor Ashton showed up by the school gate on Saturday, clearly ready to work; he had on denim jeans, a button-up shirt clearly designed for rough activity, and thick boots. In his hands he held a pair of work gloves. "Hopefully I'm not overdoing it," he said awkwardly. "I just wanted to be ready for anything."

"I wouldn't know," I admitted. "I've never done anything like this before."

"Well, let's check in with the boss and get to work." He gestured to the entrance. "Lead the way."

He followed me onto the school grounds, past several groups of students already working on their booths. It seemed kinda weird setting up stuff so soon after tearing them down from the Founder's Festival, but whatever...

It wasn't long before we came across Sakagami. "Okazaki!" she called with a smile. "Glad you made it!" Her smile faltered as she focused behind me. "Is this the guy you were talking about?"

"Yup," I replied. "This is Ashton-san."

"Pastor Jeff Ashton, 'Jeff' being my first name," he said with a smile as he extended a hand. "Call me whatever you want, as long as it's not a profanity. It's nice to meet you."

"You too," she replied while awkwardly shaking his hand.

"So, you're the Student Council president? If you don't mind me saying so, you look quite capable."

"Of what?"

His smile faded and he glanced at me. "Did I use the wrong phrase?"

"No," I said with a slight smile. "Just tell her what you mean."

He looked back to her. "I just mean that you seem capable in general, like you could do whatever you put your mind to."

"Ah..." she said with a nod. "Thank you very much."

"And this is Sakagami Tomoyo," I said, trying to continue the introductions. "She's the Stud-oh, you already know that."

"I appreciate you coming out to help us," she said to the pastor. "Though I wasn't expecting someone so..."

"White?" he offered with a wink.

"Sure," she said with pinked cheeks. Interesting... "The, uh, clubs started setting up about fifteen minutes ago, so find whoever needs help and help them."

"Is Fujibayashi here?" I asked.

She turned back toward us, flipping her hair. "Yeah, but not the one you're expecting."

"Kyou's here?"

"That would be the one you're not expecting," she replied coolly.

I nearly asked where she was before I realized that I had no real need to know. "You wanted me to help with the organization, right?"

"Yeah." She reached into her pocket, pulled out a piece of paper, and began unfolding it. "This is a rough map of the layout of the festival, but it should be enough to give you an idea of where things are supposed to be."

I took the paper and studied it, glancing up on occasion for points of reference. "Okay, I think I get it."

"How can I help?" Ashton asked.

She studied him for a moment. "Well, like I said earlier; find anyone who needs help and help them."

"That's my specialty!" And with that, he headed off toward the nearest club and began speaking with one of the members.

"'That's my specialty'?" she repeated with a smirk as we watched him. "What's that all about?"

I chuckled. "That's just how he is," I replied. "His catch-phrase is 'I live to serve', so if he's serving, then he's happy."