Chapter Thirty-One: Home Caring

Rrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnggggg...

I groaned as I rolled over and smacked my alarm clock, fortunately hitting it in just the right place to cancel the alarm. Yesterday had been the bear that mauled me, and I was still recovering from my proverbial injuries.

I rolled out of bed onto all fours and stayed there for several minutes, taking deep breaths as I tried to wake up. I was finally able to drag myself to my feet and head to the bathroom to take a shower; I had basically fallen in bed in my clothes the previous night, and I stunk.

I started to feel more alive as the water hit me, and my brain was able to start processing the previous day's events. Pastor Jeff doing his whatever-he-did was certainly a surprise, but Ryou's...panic attack?...was even more surprising; I'd never seen her act like that before, and I hoped I never would again.

I did my usual washing stuff, drying stuff, getting dressed stuff, and ate a quick breakfast before heading out the door.

My plan was to check on Jeff, but I decided to stop by the bakery on the way to check on Kyou.

I found the twins sitting on the bench just outside the shop, chatting away. "Hey, you two," I greeted.

"'Morning, Tomoya," Kyou replied.

"Good morning, Tomoya-kun," Ryou said with a smile. "Did you sleep well?"

"Like a log, but I still woke up groggy," I said, rubbing my face yet again. "How about you?"

She smiled self-consciously. "I slept all right; yesterday was exciting enough to make me sleepy." I wasn't sure if she was referring to what happened at the church, our kiss last night, both, or neither. "Are you going to visit Ashton-sensei again?"

"Yeah," I said. "After yesterday's stuff, I wanted to make sure that he's okay."

"We'll come with you," Kyou said as she got to her feet, her sister following suit.

We talked about nothing in particular as we made our way to the now-familiar building, and I knocked on the main door. We waited for a few seconds before I knocked again. "Pastor Ashton? Jeff?" I called.

I was about to knock again when the door opened. "Glory to God, Pastor Ash-gah, I did it again," he muttered, and I noticed that he sounded congested. "Come on in," he said. "Just don't get too close to me."

"What's the matter?" I asked.

"I think with all the excitement lately, I burned myself out," he sniffed as we headed to his office. "My head was pounding when I woke up, but at least it settled down after a hot shower." He fell into his chair and sniffed at us. "What can I do for you today?"

The three of us looked at each other. "We should be asking you that," I said with a chuckle. "You look terrible, boss."

"Thanks," he said with a snort. "I guess if you'd be willing to get me something with vitamin C in it, that'd be great." He opened one of the drawers on his desk and started rummaging around in it.

"I can do better than that," Kyou said proudly as she got up from her seat. "Wait here; I'll be back before long."

Ryou and I smiled at each other as she left.

"What's going on?" he asked. "What's she going to do?"

I shook my head, smile still in place. "All I can say is 'prepare yourself'."

***

Kyou returned with a bulging bag and, after fussing Jeff into his bed, found the kitchen and got to work. "Ryou, could you help me?"