Chapter Thirty-Eight: Birthday Blessings

I tugged on the collar of my school uniform as I approached the Fujibayashi house. I had chosen to wear it mainly because it was the nicest thing I had in my closet, but also it meant that I wouldn't have to change since it was a school day. I looked down at the box in my hand before opening it yet again to make sure that Ryou's birthday gift was still in there; a ring with her birthstone inset. I had found it at the same place where I had purchased her necklace what seemed like a lifetime ago.

I snapped it shut again as I reached out to open the gate, and I noticed my mentor standing outside the front door, dressed in a nice black suit. "Hey, Pastor. Did you just get here, too?"

He shook his head sheepishly as I approached. "No. To tell the truth, I've been out here for the last ten minutes."

"Sorry if I kept you waiting," I said. "We could have met up and-"

"No no, it's not that," he said, sheepish look still in place. "I'm just a little anxious about seeing Fujibayashi-san again."

"Kyou?"

"No, her father. I haven't spoken to him since his visit back when I was sick, so I'm afraid that he might not have a good impression of me. I know I shouldn't be afraid, but..." He shrugged. "I still struggle with fear at times."

I smiled as I thumped his back. "Well, I'm here now, so we can go into the fire together." With that, I knocked on the door.

I heard a lot of thumping from inside before the door opened, revealing two visions of loveliness. The twins wore kimonos that looked almost exactly alike in that they had the same patterns, but with the colors switched; Ryou's was white with blue snowflakes while Kyou's was blue with white snowflakes.

"Hello Tomoya-kun, Ashton-sensei," Ryou said with a bow. "Thank you for accepting our invitation."

I hid a smirk as Kyou said nothing, but gazed up into Jeff's face with an adoring smile.

"Thank you for inviting us," he said as I followed him into the house. "Wow, this is a really nice place."

"Thank you," came a deep voice from farther in, and Fujibayashi Ryu came into view, followed by Rinko. "My wife and I are glad that you could make it."

Without warning, Kyou jumped into Pastor Ashton, who reflexively curled his arms to catch her. "Thank you for the wonderful gift, Daddy!" she crooned as she lay across Jeff's impromptu 'princess carry'. "He's perfect!"

"K-Kyou!" From where I was standing I could see that my mentor's face was red nearly to his hairline. He tried to put her down, but she wouldn't straighten her legs. "P-Please get down!"

"Kyou-chan," Ryu warned while his wife giggled.

With a pout, Kyou allowed herself to be lowered gently to the floor before patting Jeff's arm. "You're really strong, aren't you?"

"N-Not really," he replied, still recovering from the shock. "You're just really light."

"Ooo, Kyou-chan, he's a keeper!" Rinko gushed before looking to me with a warm smile. "It's good to see you again, Tomoya-san."

"Thank you ma'am; it's good to see you again, too," I said with a bow.

"Well, shall we get out of the ladies' way and have a drink?" Ryu offered.

"Do you need any help in the kitchen?" Jeff and I asked, almost in unison, then looked at each other with awkward grins.

The Fujibayashi family burst out laughing, "Thank you for offering, gentlemen," Rinko said, "but we have everything under control."