Chapter Fourteen: Date on a Limb

I tugged nervously at my collar as I waited outside the hospital where Ryou worked. From looking at the clock just inside the lobby I knew that I was a little over ten minutes early.

Even though I had talked with Pastor Ashton for some 'coaching', I was about as nervous as I could be; after all, I didn't want to screw up this date and end up damaging our relationship more than it already was. But, more importantly, I didn't want to give her any more reason to doubt herself. This date was more for her than it was for me or even for us. I wanted her to know how awesome she was.

"Justremember that you're here to serve," the pastor had told me. "You don't have to be as extreme about it as I am, but remember thatyou are there for her."

I sighed heavily at the memory. "Right," I encouraged myself. "I can do this." My plan was for us to walk around a nearby park until about 5:00, then head over to a restaurant to eat; I couldn't afford a high-class place, of course, but it would at least be a decent family restaurant.

I was straightening my tie for the umpteenth time when... "Okazaki...kun...?"

I turned and was stunned into silence. Even considering that she was just coming from work, it was obvious that she had dressed up for the occasion, with white shoes and a somewhat loose-fitting black dress that covered her from neck to ankles, with sleeves to her wrists. She had swapped out her white ribbon for one that looked more like a dark blue that looked good with her rich purple hair. Man, she was beautiful.

"H-Hi, Ry-Fujibayashi; th-thanks for...well, this." We both stood there, exchanging awkward glances before the cat finally let go of my tongue. "W-Would you walk with me in the park n-nearby?"

She said nothing, but nodded once.

I carefully offered her my arm. "U-Unless you're not comfortable with this," I tried to reassure her.

She stared at my arm for a long time before biting her lip and taking it.

Neither of us said anything as we walked to the park; this gave me some time to rack my anxiety-riddled brain for the sample questions that the pastor had given me. I worked on calming myself down as I remembered what he had told me about talking to her; to remain calm and ready for whatever answer she might give me.

I finally calmed enough to ask her a question as we passed through the gate to the park. "So...how are your nursing studies going?"

"O-Okay," came her hesitant reply.

I took a deep breath; so far, so good. "H-Have you learned anything new recently?"

"I-I drew blood for the first time last Thursday," she replied quietly.

"Hey, good for you!" I exclaimed. "I mean, that sounds like a major step to me, but...is it?"

She nodded, seeming less anxious. "I-It means that I can do blood draws and injections when needed. I didn't mind carrying the bedpans, but it feels good to be able to help the p-patients more...directly?"

"I think I understand," I said, then realized that I could borrow from the Pastor Ashton Conversation Playbook. "It sounds like you really like taking care of other people."

"I do," she said. "It's hard when they leave the hospital and I know I'll never see them again, but it feels good knowing that I'm part of the reason they can go home."

Internally, I pumped my fist; that was the longest response she had given me so far. I thought about her answer to see if I could ask her anything based on it. "How long do your patients usually stay?"

I nearly floated away when she giggled. "I'm a nurse, so they're not my patients, but I think I know what you're asking. The ones I help with are usually there for about two...maybe three weeks."