Chapter Forty-Three: A Friendly Get-Together

I looked up from my manga as I heard the phone ring and hurried to answer it. "Hello, this is Okazaki."

"Tomoya-san?"

"Hey, Pastor!" I greeted; I hadn't talked to him since the morning after his return from America. He had told me that he'd call me after he got settled back in, so I was relieved to hear his voice again. "Are you finally back in Japan?"

I heard a chuckle from his end. "Yeah, it's not so much the jet-lag as it is just getting used to being home."

"I'll bet."

"Listen, I need to ask a favor of you. Can you hear me out?"

"Sure."

"Thanks." There was a long pause before he spoke again. "Listen, I'm...um...going to the café to meet with Ryu-san, and I was hoping you'd be willing to come with me."

"Shouldn't be a problem," I said. "What time did you want to meet? And where?"

"Well, I'm supposed to meet with him for lunch at noon at the café by the station, so how about eleven, eleven-fifteen?"

"I can do that," I said. "Saturday, right?"

"Yeah, Saturday."

"Okay, I'll see you then."

"Thanks, Tomoya; I really appreciate this."

As I hung up I thought about why he would want me to come with him. He would be meeting with the twins' dad for lunch, so it had to be about something important. Maybe Kyou had been harassing him or something? I shook my head, figuring that I'd find out on Saturday.

***

I met up with Jeff just outside the main entrance to the church; for some reason, he was pacing. "Ah, there you are, Tomoya."

"Are you okay, boss?" I asked. "You seem...nervous or something."

"I am nervous," he admitted. "That's why I asked you to come along."

"So what's going on? Is Kyou harassing you again? Is that what you're going to talk to him about?"

"No," he said, shaking his head. "It's...well, come with me and you'll find out." He set off, walking at a brisk pace, and I followed.

He didn't say anything the whole way to the café, and the few times that I glanced at him he appeared to be...focused.

We arrived at the café and quickly found Ryu. "Ah, Tomoya-san; I didn't expect to see you here."

"I asked him to come along," Jeff told him. "Is that okay?"

"I have no problem sharing a meal with my future son-in-law," he answered with an affable smile and a wink.

I chuckled at his choice of words. "Thanks, Dad."

"So, should we talk first or eat? To be honest, I'd like to at least order my food first," Dad said.

"That's fine," Jeff said, and I noticed that he was rubbing his hands on his pant legs.

So we ordered our lunches. I had saved some of my allowance for this, so I was able to pay my own way, which felt good.

A few minutes later our meal arrived, and Dad looked over at my mentor. "Ashton-sensei, would you like to pray for our food?"

Pastor Jeff blinked; apparently he hadn't been expecting Dad to make the request. "S-Sure, thank you." He looked to the sky this time, just as he had the last time we were here. "Lord Jesus, thank You for our time together. Give us knowledge and wisdom so we may have a...a..." I'd never heard him stumble during a prayer before, which was surprising. "...that our time together would be fruitful and beneficial. Thank You for your provision, and help us to stay within Your will for us. May Your will be done; Amen."