Chapter Twenty-Six: Heart Condition

Our last stop of the day was, of course, the haunted mansion. "You haven't really been to the amusement park if you haven't gone through the haunted house," Kyou explained to the pastor.

"Huh...it'snot like that in the States...well, whatever," he muttered with his fists on hiships as he faced the gloomy-looking attraction.

"Let's help Onee-chan," Ryou whispered to me as she took my arm.

"N-No problem there," I whispered back; truth was, I had been hoping to go to the mansion just to have her hold my arm.

As Ryou and I made our way into the mansion, I looked back to see Jeff and Kyou entering with her arms wrapped around one of his, and I figured she must have received permission.

"Are they together?" Ryou asked.

"Yup; it looks like your sister's dream has come true."

"Well, part of it," she giggled, then yelped and grabbed onto me as a 'ghost' crossed our path. "S-Sorry!"

"D-Don't worry about it," I said as I tried to restart my heart. "Isn't that what this is all about?"

"Y-Yeah..."

In spite of the initial scare the attraction was pretty tame as far as haunted houses went, and we soon found ourselves back outside. "Excuse me for a minute," Jeff said. "I'd like to use the bathroom before we head back."

"We'll hang out here," I replied.

"Onee-chan..." I followed Ryou's gaze to her sister, who had a look of determination on her face.

"I-I'll be right back," she said. "I-I need to use the bathroom, too."

As she walked away from us, Ryou took my sleeve with a desperate grip. "She's...She's going to do it...she's really going to do it..."

"What? Use the bathroom?" I chuckled. "Why is that so shocking?"

"No, not that..."

"Well, than what-"

"She's going to confess to him..." she breathed.

We watched as Kyou waited outside, but not too close to, the men's restroom. Jeff came out shortly after, and Kyou waved to get his attention. He looked to us before allowing himself to be led a short distance from the bathrooms, off of the main path where she stood facing him, with her hands folded before her.

"She's really going to do it..." Ryou said under her breath, and I heard definite admiration in her tone.

Kyou finally looked up at Jeff and I could see her saying something to him as he watched her. She gestured with her hands as she spoke; I couldn't tell exactly what she was saying but I could tell that she was putting her heart into it.

"You can do it, Onee-chan..." Ryou said with anticipation in her voice.

Finally, Kyou stopped speaking and folded her hands again as she simply looked up at him with what I imagined was a hopeful expression.

Jeff rubbed the back of his neck as he spoke, gesturing with his free hand as well, and I felt myself becoming anxious; what was he saying to her?

Finally, he finished speaking and briefly laid a hand on her shoulder before dropping his hand to his side.

"No..." Ryou whimpered as we watched her sister's hands fly to her mouth. "Onee-chan..."

We watched as Kyou quickly walked back toward us, wiping a hand across one cheek or the other every few steps. When she got to us she forced a smile on her face in spite of the obvious tears. "H-He was very kind," she said in a thin voice.