Chapter Twenty-Two: Seeking Shelter

Ryou and I sat around the kotatsu as Kyou unloaded her stuff in our spare room.

"She told them everything," Ryou said with admiration in her voice. "About the bible school, about the pastor...and about the pastor."

"So she really has fallen for him?"

She nodded with a shy smile. "I thought that she did, but to hear her actually say it to Dad and Mom..." she giggled. "I'm so proud of her."

"Does she know what she's getting herself into?"

"Not entirely, no," she admitted. "She understands that he's a pastor, so he's studied his religion very deeply."

I shook my head. "It's more than just studies," I told her. "It's his life. I mean, he has his quirks, sure, but it's all under his belief in his god. Does she know that?"

"I'm not sure," she said. "But if what you're saying is true, then at least part of what she has fallen in love with is because of his religion."

"But she hasn't even confessed to him y-"

"Hey! No talking about me behind my back!" Kyou barked as she entered the room. When we turned to look, however, she had a huge smile. "Wondering if I did the right thing?"

"The thought had crossed my mind," I admitted. "Why did your dad kick you out, anyway?"

She sighed noisily as she ran her fingers through her hair. "He gave his reasons, but I think it's really just so he can have some space to think about it. I did basically dump a bunch of heavy stuff on them, after all."

"Doesn't his religion bother you at all?" I asked. "It isn't just part of his life, after all; it is his life."

"Yes and no," she admitted as she joined us at the kotatsu. "I think the things I like about him come from his religion; his wanting to help others, for example. I guess the 'no' part would be because I just don't know a whole lot about it, so it's kinda scary...and exciting."

"That does sound a lot like you," I acknowledged with a smile.

"Plus he's really cute!" she added.

"Onee-chan..." her sister giggled.

"In any case," I said, trying to change the subject, "you can stay for a day or two, but you can't stay much longer than that. Dad's visiting his mom right now, so I'm the only one here."

"I got it," she answered smoothly. "I'll work on finding somewhere more long-term."

"Maybe Pastor Ashton could help?" Ryou suggested.

"Hmm, good idea," I mused. "I'll call him in the morning and ask him about it." I gave her a wry smile. "Maybe he'd let you stay with him."

Her eyes widened as she flexed her fingers. "That would be...great."

"Onee-chan!"

Kyou burst into laughter. "I'm just kidding, Ryou! A guy like him wouldn't want a single girl living with him under the same roof!"

"Oh."

I checked the time. "Fujibayashi, shouldn't you be getting back home? You got here late enough as it is."

"You're right," she said, looking at her wrist. "Mom and Dad are going to start worrying. They knew I'd be helping Onee-chan find someplace to stay, but..."

Kyou gave me a gentle push. "Walk her home, Tomoya; I'll keep an eye on the place for you."

***