The Older Potter // HP Older...

By Ilvermornist

Samantha Potter lived a normal life. She went to Hogwarts, played Quidditch, and tried to pass History of Mag... More

Part 1
TRAILER
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
94
95
96
97
98
99
100
101
102
103
104
105
106
107
108
109
110
111
112
113
114
115
116
117
118
119
120
121
122

93

5.3K 222 127
By Ilvermornist

C H A P T E R 93

"I don't believe it," Remus spoke with a confused expression.

Samantha nodded. "I don't know what that means."

"I do," Sirius spoke after a few moments of thinking. "Clearly Alastor senses what's been going on. What happened at the World Cup? Why Dumbledore asked him to teach here? Alastor wants to be prepared and has a brew of Polyjuice Potion just in case he needs to go under cover."

Remus nodded slowly at his explanation while Tonks agreed. "He definitely is prepared for any type of scenario. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case."

Samantha nodded in agreement. "That would make sense. His classes are amazing, focusing on every trick in the book we'll need in case of an attack."

"I'm happy you're enjoying his classes," Remus spoke with a hint of mock.

"No no, Remus, that's not what I meant. I'm just saying that it's nice to have someone who's been there and done it all. You're still everyone's number one," Samantha said quickly with a reassuring smile.

Remus laughed. "Relax, I was only joking. Speaking for myself, I would love to sit in on one of his lectures. I always tell Nymphadora here that I envy her sometimes for being trained by him," he spoke a slightly nudging her shoulder with his.

Tonks' hair flamed red like it usually did when someone called her that name and she glared daggers at Remus. "I told you--"

"Oh come on, I only call you that to have a bit of fun," Remus replied with a small laugh.

Tonks hummed while crossing her arms. "Well it isn't fun for me."

"Ok you two, cool it," Sirius interrupted and turned back to Samantha who was grinning at the encounter between Remus and Tonks. "I wouldn't think anything of it, Samantha. We trust Mad-Eye."

Samantha nodded and sighed. "Right, I'll just drop it. I have too much to think about right now. Break is coming so quickly. Dumbledore announced that classes are to end a few days early so people can go home if they want for the first half of break. The Yule Ball is being held on Christmas evening so we won't have the full time to go home," Samantha explained, reiterating Dumbledore's speech at dinner. "I'll definitely be coming home, of course," she added.

"You better," Sirius spoke. "Now was that the last topic on your long list?"

Samantha paused and then her speaking to Winky came up in her mind. "Uhm, how's work?"

Sirius looked taken a back. "Pardon? You're asking about my job?"

She nodded and resisted a smile. "Yes, why is that so hard to fathom?"

"Because it caught me off guard. Plus there isn't really much to discuss. Ludo has been avoiding me. He looks to be on edge, probably due to us figuring out his little game," Sirius hissed. "But other than that, it's been the same. Trying to find anything we can about the attack at the Cup. We've been only hitting dead ends."

"Have you seen Barty Crouch lately?" Samantha asked.

Sirius tilted his for a moment. "Not within the last couple of days. He's been leaving work early a few times and leaving Percy more work to do. However I don't think Percy is complaining. I assume Barty wants to take some afternoons off. That man has so much on his plate."

Samantha nodded. "Interesting."

A sigh escaped his lips. "Ok what now? Is something going on with Barty?"

Remus and Tonks looked at Samantha for her response.

"Well no I was just wondering how he was doing. I went to the kitchens today and saw Winky. She's a wreck and can't understand that she's free. Dobby's been trying to help her but I think he's been doing more harm than good unfortunately."

Sirius nodded and frowned. "Poor elf, some just can't handle the freedom after spending their lives doing chores."

"How's Kreacher?" Samantha asked suddenly after the thought of house elves came up.

"He's fine, nothing new. Nothing's ever new with him...except maybe another idea to try and bring mum back," Sirius muttered, narrowing his eyes a bit.

"Sirius, you need to keep trying with him. I thought we were making progress during summer," Samantha spoke and then huffed.

"We are!" he cried. "It's just taking me a little bit longer to adjust to this. My whole childhood was spent us hating each other so I just need more time."

And that made Samantha feel horrible for her bold statement. Seeing Sirius' melancholy face was slowly breaking her heart. She once again completely forgot the terrible memories Sirius spent here and how traumatic it must be to come back.

"You're right, I'm sorry," Samantha said. "Take all the time you need."

Sirius nodded and then smiled. "It's ok. You all have been giving me happier memories to plague the not so happy ones."

Remus smiled at his friend while Tonks looked on with a proud face. She always looked up to her cousin and used his bravery and pride as a model to live her life. Everyone usually tends to forget the struggles and hardships Sirius has been through but only because of his positive attitude.

"Well for the last topic, I need to speak with Tonks," Samantha spoke and gave her a smile.

Tonks looked slightly taken a back that Samantha wanted to talk specifically to her. Remus nodded and started to stand up while Sirius gasped. "So you're throwing us out?"

"Pretty much."

"Well have fun with your...girl talk, then," Sirius snipped dramatically and then stood up with Remus. "Rem and I will head to the bar--"

"No," Remus responded flatly. "I'd rather stay in--"

"You always stay in. Come on, come out with me and live a little. We don't have to go crazy, just have a few drinks and listen to the latest Ministry gossip," Sirius replied with a cheeky grin.

Remus rolled his eyes while Tonks nudged him. "Go out, Remus. A drink will be good for you. Loosen you up."

He gave Tonks an amused look and then put his hands up in defeat. "Ok, we'll go Sirius. But if I have to carry you--"

"Oh stop that was one time and it was James' fault!" Sirius responded. "He kept handing me shots of Firewhiskey."

"No matter, now lets go before I change my mind," Remus said and then looked back at Samantha who was watching on with a beaming expression. "I guess we will see you in a few weeks then?"

Samantha nodded and bid the two goodbye. Tonks then sighed and faced Samantha with a sheepish look. She knew exactly what the Potter was going to say. "Look I know--"

"Ok can we just appreciate the way you and Remus interact for a moment?" Samantha quickly asked with a giddy expression.

Tonks rolled her eyes and put on a sheepish smile. "I didn't notice."

"Oh stop, so tell me. Has there been any progress?"

She shrugged. "I don't really know. We read together a lot when I'm not at work. How am I supposed to know?"

"Have you flirted with him? Taken the next step?"

Tonks scrunched her face a little. "Well I tried to be more "playful." I don't want to come off too strong, I know Remus has a few walls he's put up."

Samantha nodded. "Right, I think you've known him longer than me so you'll know to be gradual, build a strong foundation of trust."

Tonks agreed. "Exactly, I hope the holidays might be a good time to venture out into uncharted waters but we'll see. I know him and Dumbledore are going to the Riddle House to try and find a Horcrux."

Samantha slowly nodded. "Yeah that too, that'll definitely be stressful for him. So you can be there for him, show him you care."

"Right."

"I also wanted to ask something else. A tradition for the Tournament is the Yule Ball, but I didn't bring a dress to wear. Do you have any dresses I could wear or could visit a tailor shop in Diagon Alley? There's this place in Hogsmeade but Flitwick said there wasn't that much of a selection."

"Let me check my closet. I finally brought over all of my clothes from my old house. What size are you?"

"Medium."

Tonks nodded. "Ok, wait right here," she said and then put down the mirror to check her room upstairs.

Samantha sat back on her bed and heard the slight murmurs of the Common Room down below. She looked at the clock and saw that it was nearing nine at night. She still had to complete a few homework assignments but she had some time in the morning. The laughs here and there implied that Fred and George were probably showing some more of their joke products. Their Skiving Snackboxes were really coming together nicely.

She flipped through some of her books to mark the pages she was going to need for her homework. This also reminded her that with the break coming in a few weeks, that meant midterm exams were coming too. Her brain was mentally preparing essays, review packets, and long nights.

Minutes later, Tonks reemerged holding three long dresses. She layed them out nicely on the couch and held the first one up. It was a deep green color with a fitted bodice and then puffed out gradually.

"That's really pretty," Samantha commented. "But the tulle is throwing me off."

Tonks laughed. "I thought it might but I decided to bring it out anyway," She then took the second dress which was a pastel yellow. It had a beaded bodice and belt at the natural waist and flowed down nicely. "I like the shape of this one but I don't know if you'll like the color. I guess I'm biased as a Hufflepuff to like yellow."

Samantha laughed and then thought about Cedric. She stared at the small crystals on the top and marveled at how flowy it was. "That it very beautiful, regardless of the color."

"I think it would look nice with your dark brown hair."

Samantha nodded as Tonks put the second one down and took the third. It was navy blue and looked to have a fitted style. "What about this one?"

"I like it, I like the color."

"I think this one brings a more evening feeling, plus I think it could give you a nice shape," Tonks spoke.

Samantha nodded. "They're all nice."

"So which one? I can either send it, or wait until you come home and you can bring it back."

"I think you should just send it, the last I need would be to forget the dress."

"True."

Samantha looked at the three beautiful dresses and made her decision.

• • • • •

She finally went to bed around midnight after finishing her Potions homework. Snape, of course had to give them a two roll parchment essay each week. She also had to finish some questions for Charms, Transfiguration, and Herbology.

It took everything she had to get up the next morning and start another day of classes. Today she had Herbology, Defense, and Transfiguration.

As the group walked down to breakfast, the announcement of the Yule Ball seemed to give everyone a joyful step. The holidays always brought happiness but the Tournament tradition added something extra special.

Samantha sat down next to Harry and watched Marcus sit by his friends. He gave her a smile and started to eat, sitting down next to Viktor.

"I can't believe we have to dance for the Yule Ball," Harry muttered.

Samantha groaned in response. "Don't remind me."

"Should we practice or kind of go with it?" Harry wondered and Ron shrugged.

"Does Harry Potter ever plan ahead?" Hermione asked with a slight grin. Samantha laughed and nodded at her in approval.

"Too true," she said as Harry slightly glared at her. "Well would your partner know how to dance? Maybe they can help you."

Harry started to turn red, as he thought about Cho Chang. "I uh don't know about that yet."

"Then you should start before time just flies by and your left with nothing. You should keep Ron as a backup."

Hermione laughed as Ron shook his head, unamused. "That would he hilarious. Seeing these two left feet dance."

"Hey," Ron interjected. "I'm an ok dancer and why makes you think I won't have a date?"

"I didn't say that Ron," Hermione responded. "But if you want to ask Viktor, you'd better hurry," she said with a giggle.

Ron's ears started to redden. "I don't--I'm not--I'm not going to ask him."

No one but Harry heard Ron mutter to him "Do you think he would say yes?"

• • • • •

It was Wednesday night which meant Samantha was meeting Viktor to work on Potions. Adding to their long essays, they also had monthly projects with their partners. As December started, it meant they had a new project. This time, they had to write about Skele-Gro, the Potion Harry had to take two years ago to regrow the bones in his arm.

Viktor laughed really hard when Samantha told him what happened. "Wow, poor fellow."

"Yeah, I wonder how angry Snape would get if I included that in our report."

They continued to look through different books and as Samantha started to write out an outline for their paper, Hermione walked into the library and sat down at her usual spot in the back.

Hermione gave Samantha a smile and then looked at Viktor who was waving awkwardly. Hermione raised her eyebrow in confusion before giving him a quick wave.

Viktor looked back down at his book with a blank expression. Samantha looked in between the two before grinning widely at Viktor. "So what's going on between you and Hermione?"

"What?" he asked looking up.

"Don't play dumb, I saw the way you waved at her."

Viktor coughed slightly. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Samantha raised an eyebrow and continued to grin. "Viktor Krum, are you nervous?"

"No," Viktor responded quickly.

She rolled her eyes. "That is such a lie, you like her. Just admit it."

Viktor bit his lip. "I wouldn't say I...like her, more like interested. I've never seen such a studious girl before. Yeah there are a few at Durmstrang but there's something different about Hermy--Hermi--" Viktor then muttered angrily in Bulgarian. "I can't even say her name."

Samantha had to suppress a laugh. Watching the Quidditch great struggle with a simple name was quite amusing. "You should go talk to her," Samantha spoke and then thought of something. "You should ask her to the Yule Ball."

Viktor raised his eyebrows. "What? Definitely not, she wouldn't say yes. She barely looked at me."

"Aww that's so cute that you noticed that."

"This isn't the time for cute, Samantha. This is serious."

Samantha cracked a grin. "I'm sure, but you're over-thinking this. Just go over there and talk to her."

"And say what?"

She shrugged. "I don't know, spark a conversation. Ask her a question."

"You're not helping. You know her better than I do and you're not giving me quality advice. "Ask a question" like what am I going to ask? How's the weather?" Viktor snipped.

Samantha had to resist glaring at Viktor. "Look, Hermione is very friendly and would love to talk to you. Maybe you can ask her about the egg and see if she would help you."

Viktor nodded slowly. "But wouldn't she want to help Harry? Her best friend?"

Samantha shrugged. "She's been trying to help Harry except Harry doesn't want to deal with the egg until the new term starts in January. I think she would be flattered if you ask her and then complement her cleverness."

Viktor sighed and then glanced over at Hermione who was reading a large book. Samantha watched him take slow breaths. "Come on, be a man. You're a strong Quidditch player and you're sitting here nervous to talk to a girl."

"It isn't that easy, just ask Marcus."

Samantha rolled her eyes. "I could probably say as his girlfriend that Marcus has done a better job than you."

Viktor chuckled. "Alright you got me with that one," He then stood up. "Ok I'll go."

"Good luck," Samantha said and watched Viktor casually stroll over to where Hermione was sitting on the other side of the library.

She watched Hermione look up from her book in confusion when she noticed Viktor nearing her. After a few moments, Hermione raised an eyebrow and then smiled. She spoke a few words before nodding her head. Viktor then nodded and waved again. Hermione waved back as Viktor turned and headed back to the table.

Samantha anticipated his return and as he sat down, she saw his blank expression. "So?" she prompted. "From over here, it looked like it went well."

Viktor let out a breath. "It did actually. She seemed taken a back at me asking for her help but she agreed. She said she would be wary if Harry eventually asked her but she said she would start researching."

"Why don't you go research with her right now? And I'm sure she'd love to see NEWT level work," Samantha suggested.

"But we're working right now--"

"Oh don't worry about me, I've lost all of my motivation to work so I mine as well head back to my Common Room."

Viktor raised an eyebrow and looked back at Hermione who had two new books on her table. "Alright, if you won't be mad."

"Nonsense, I'll be fine. Now go!" Samantha pressed and started packing up her stuff.

Viktor did the same and bid her goodbye. Samantha watched him stroll back over to her table and ask about the open seat. Hermione looked a bit taken a back but nodded and then pointed at the two books she got. Pleased with her work, Samantha smiled to herself and left the library. She glanced at the clock and saw that it was nearing eight at night. Curfew was ten so Viktor had two good hours to win over Hermione.

The more she thought about the two, the more she liked them together. Viktor was very kind, caring, and friendly. Hermione needed someone like him, as well as brave.

As she started to descend the stairs, Samantha heard familiar voices. When she reached the next floor, she saw Marcus and Adrian Pucey sitting on the window sill chatting. A smile appeared on her face as she neared her boyfriend. "Fancy seeing you here."

Marcus looked up and grinned. "I could say the same."

Samantha turned to Adrian who looked a bit disappointed that he knew where this was probably going to go: Him getting thrown out for Marcus to spend time with his girlfriend. "Adrian."

"Potter," he said nodding.

"So how was studying? Did you and Viktor make progress with your project?" Marcus asked as Samantha sat down in between him and Adrian.

Samantha smiled. "A little."

Adrian watched Marcus nod and wrap an arm around her waist. He stood up and grabbed his bag. "Now as much as I would love to stay and watch this little love fest, I better go and release my vomit."

Marcus laughed and gave Adrian some weird bro handshake. "Goodnight, Adrian."

"Goodnight, don't do anything I wouldn't do," he spoke with a suggestive grin and walked down the corridor to the marble stairs.

Samantha leaned into Marcus and set her bag down on the ground. "Have you and Cedric started the project?"

Marcus laughed. "We haven't even spoken since Potions. Who knows what's going to happen."

"Just try and stay civil, please, for me," Samantha said looking up at him. "Don't start anything."

"I won't because I don't need to. I'm the lucky one in this partnership," Marcus said with a smile.

"And why's that?"

Marcus tightened his grip on her waist. "Because I get to do this," He leaned in and pressed his lips to hers.

Samantha smiled into the kiss and delicately placed her hand on his strong cheekbone.

It lasted for a few lingering moments before Samantha pulled away. Marcus frowned. "I only get seven seconds?"

"Why do you want more?" Samantha asked with a cheeky grin.

"I would be an idiot to refuse."

And with that, Marcus pulled her close to him and continued the kiss.

• • • • •

Samantha bid Marcus goodbye some time later. She headed back to the Common Room with a grin on her face and flushed cheeks.

As she entered, she saw the twins chatting with Harry and Ron by the fire. It seems Fred and George were telling them some elaborate story by their facial reactions and hand motions.

They stopped when seeing Samantha and immediately stood up. "Yes, there's the third to the Pranking Trio," Fred said with a mischievous grin.

Samantha narrowed her eyes at Fred's expression and knew where it was going. "I don't like the sound of that," she said putting her bag on one of the chairs.

"Oh come on, we haven't pranked in a while and we want to test out our new product," George spoke and held up a small bag, probably filled with bite size candies. "They're called Nosebleed Nougat."

"One of these and you'll be gushing out blood of your nose until you eat the other side," Fred added. "Perfect way to get students out of class."

Samantha sighed at their odd brilliance. "And what do you want to with them?"

"More like who we want to give them to," George corrected and then took the Map out of his pocket. "Harry so kindly let us borrow this so we can slip one to Filch."

George then handed her the Map. "You be our lookout."

Samantha nodded and then looked at Harry and Ron who had amused faces. "We want to wait to like eleven so it's after curfew and Filch is roaming around," Fred spoke and they continued to chat around the fire.

Hermione came in ten minutes until curfew and didn't stop to talk with them. She just gave them a small smile and headed upstairs, holding three large book. Samantha smiled to herself and hoped things went well with Viktor. She would have to ask him about it the following day.

When it was time, the three bid Harry and Ron goodbye who told them to tell them how it went when they returned.

Samantha nodded and checked the map to make sure their path was clear. "Ok so Filch is on the second floor," she spoke as they crept down the corridors and to the stairs.

As they neared the second floor, Samantha remained hidden behind one of the statues to keep watch as Fred and George took out the small bag. Fred then took out what looked to be a fake box of chocolates. George put in the Nougat and tried to camouflage them with other types of chocolates.

"Wait here and keep watch," they instructed as they walked down the hallway and disappeared into the darkness.

Samantha looked back at the Map and saw Filch as the only one wandering around at night. She decided to be curious and look through the Map to see other parts of the castle.

She saw Professor Sinistra on the Astronomy Tower, probably working on something for one of her next classes. McGonagall was in her office and so was Snape. Samantha started to flip the page when something caught her eye.

A moving name caught her eye which looked to be near Snape's. Samantha recognized it as Snape's potion ingredients storage room. It's what they used for class and only for class. It was strictly off limits for leisurely use.

Her eyes read over the name and her eyebrows instantly raised.

The name read Barty Crouch.

;)

Until next time!

<3 Sam

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110K 2K 108
________________________________________ *CURRENTLY RE-WRITING* finished by- 25/05/24 (hopefully) current re-write word count- 145,249 It's always...
6.8K 260 26
Book Four - Last Book in The Power Prophecy Series _______________________ A war is among them. Harry is wanted. And everyone is afraid. Rose helps h...
21.2K 877 37
Harry Potter starts off his Fourth Year going to the Quidditch World Cup with the Weasleys, a happy reprieve from the torture that is the Dursleys. H...
45.4K 1.4K 27
'𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐒𝐥𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐧, 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐆𝐫𝐲𝐟𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐫.' After the sorting hat had sorted Anna Rowly into Gryffindor, breaking th...