Afterwards: A Life Is Strange...

By Jsbier

THIS IS A CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE STORY: You get to choose how you want things to go, Just like in the actu... More

Notes From the Author
Chapter 1/Episode 1: After
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20/Episode 2: Leaving
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38/Episode 3: Life Is Weird
Chapter 39/Episode 3: What If?
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Notes From the Author Pt. 2

Chapter 26

380 5 1
By Jsbier

I back up a little. She realizes I'm not there and opens her eyes.

"Kate! What the hell?!" I say in a surprised and angry way. She blushes hard.

"I thought-oh no. Max, I'm sorry."

"You thought what?"

"I always saw you hanging out with that girl with he blue hair, I just thought you were, well, you know." What the hell is even happening?

"What?! You mean you're-?" She nods before I can even say it. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just really surprising. "What made you think it was ok to kiss me randomly? Just because I hang out with Chloe doesn't mean I like girls, let alone like you like that." Do I like girls? I don't know, but now's not the time to even think about that.

"I just-I don't know. It was all in the moment, and I just, did it." I never saw this coming. I didn't even think something like this was even possible. Not in a million years.

"I never knew you liked girls. I mean, you're a Christian, and I thought-"

"Don't believe in stereotypes, Max. They're not always right." It's like Kate is leading a hidden life.

"...How long have you known you liked girls?" I try to ask casually.

"For a while now."

"Why keep it a secret? I am totally ok with it all, and I'm sure everyone else would have been too."

"You know how much Victoria and her friends would make fun of me? Plus my family would disown me, and I really didn't need all of that, especially after that video." That's fair. It is her decision to tell if she wanted to. "I've just been-after everything that's happened, I just thought I should try it." She takes a deep breath. "Ok, let me start over. I've had a crush on you, for a while. You were one of the only people who listened to me. After what happened on the roof, I knew you really cared about me. I thought I should tell you that I liked you, but that moment just seemed appropriate to me, but thinking about it now, it was just stupid." She sits down on the couch. I sit down next to her.

"Wow, Kate, I never knew." That's pretty flattering. Kate is so beautiful, and I'm just me. If anything, she's way out of my league. She nods.

"Yeah. So there you go. That's why I did it." It must have taken a lot for her to admit all of that. I know I couldn't openly admit who I like. Of course, I'm pretty introverted. "If you want to just forget all of this happened, I would be fine with that."

"That would probably be for the best. I don't want our friendship to be ruined or anything." She nods and gets the teacups. She hands one to me, and drinks out of the other. I can tell she's disappointed. I'm sorry Kate, I just like you as a friend. I take a sip out of my teacup. It's all a shock though. I still can't believe she did that. I guess I should try to forget about it, for the sake of our friendship.

"...So, how bad was that storm? I heard it was terrible." She says after a long time of awkward silence.

"Yeah, it was bad. I'm just glad Chloe and I made it out unscathed." It's good that Kate wasn't there. After that whole week, she probably couldn't stand to see her hometown being blown away.

"I prayed for everyone there. I hope they all made it out safely. I wonder what caused something like that. It was completely unexpected." I knew. I just didn't try helping anyone. My own problems got in the way. You're going to have to start putting other people's needs first, Max. "You know, I've heard that it might be part of a Native American prediction. I personally don't believe that, but I'm open minded."

"I don't know. All the animals were able to make it out alive, so that's good." I didn't see any. I would like to think they're all ok. "Speaking of animals, how's your little bunny?" She smiles.

"Alice has been doing great. She's a little spooked by the change and all. Oh, and thanks for taking care of her while I was in the hospital. I'm sure she enjoyed her stay at Aunt Max's room." I'm not entirely sure I like that nickname.

"Anytime. I'm glad she has such a caring owner." I sip my tea.

"You asked me but I never got to ask you how you were. So, how are you?" She asks trying to start a new conversation. Knowing Kate, it's not meaningless small talk. She actually cares and listens.

"I'm alright. This whole week has been hella crazy though." I guess I'm slowly stealing Chloe's lingo.

"Hella?" She laughs. "I've never heard you say that before." I smile.

"Well, a new life, a new me, I guess."

"So where are you and Chloe going to stay?" That's a good question.

"I really don't know. It's not like we're completely ruined or anything, we have some money. We just don't have a plan..." That probably sounds really irresponsible. It is though.

"You two are always welcome here." She smiles. "I'm sure Carla will let you guys stay. It's not really my choice, but Carla's nice. After all, she let me stay here."

"Thanks for the offer, but I think Chloe has something up her sleeve. She's been to Portland before."

"Either way, I hope you guys stay safe." We'll try. Danger seems to have a way of finding us. Laughter fills the other room and the sound of footsteps follows. The door opens and Carla's head pokes through doorway.

"We're finished." She smiles.

"And it looks fuckin' awesome!" Chloe yells from the other room.

"I guess tea time is over." Kate says. We put our teacups down on the trey and walk out into the parlor area. Chloe is sitting in the chair, pointing to her arm.

"Isn't it amazing?" A golden dragon makes its way from Chloe's elbow all the way up to her wrist, spiraling around her arm on the way up. It even has little decorations around it, like flames and little red Chinese symbols.

"Yeah, that's pretty cool. Does it hurt?" I ask.

"It aches a little, but after all of the tattoos I've gotten, it doesn't really bother me that much."

"So, about your tattoo?" Carla interjects.

"Yeah, I'll still take it." I sit down in the chair.

"...Where?" That's a good question.

"I think I'll get it right here." I point to the inner part of my right arm, right above the crook.

"Cool. This might hurt a little."
...............
"Looks great Max! How's it feel?" Asks Chloe. It hurts. Well, aches. A lot.

"It aches a little." I lie. Even the smallest lies can cost lives, Max.

"So, how much do I owe you?" Chloe asks.

"Nothing. It's on the house." Carla says. She gives Chloe a fist bump.

"Thanks." She says I nod my head and stand up next to Chloe. "Well, we should probably go. We've got a city to explore!" She waves to Carla and Kate and walks outside.

"Bye you guys." I walk outside. Chloe unlocks the truck and gets in the passenger side. I guess that means I'll be driving.

"Wait, Max!" I turn around and see Kate behind me. "Look, I'm sorry about what happened. I know I already apologized but things still feel kind of awkward between us."

"It's ok, I promise." She lunges towards me and wraps her arms around my body, giving me a hug.

"Come back and visit sometime, alright? We still need to finish our tea time." I hug her back.

"I will. Just don't try to randomly kiss me next time." Too soon Max. Plus, that kind of makes you sound like an ass. She laughs and backs up, so she's not hugging me anymore. I wave and she does the same. I walk over to the drivers side and get in.

"Jesus, why don't you two get a room?" She jokes. That's not funny, Chloe.

"So, where are we going exactly?"

"I don't know. Isn't that the fun part of adventuring?" No, Chloe, that's how we get lost. I close my door and she hands me the keys. "Anywhere I guess." She smiles. I put the key in and start the truck. I pull out of the parking lot and onto the road, not exactly knowing where I'm going.
Go to Chapter 27

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 66 9
Carmen finds herself in a hostile situation with multiple bullet-loaded guns aimed her way after being accused of kidnapping Julia Argent, her girlfr...
839K 51.5K 116
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
14K 777 6
Abhira trusted Armaan to protect her from Yuvraj, she trusted him with her life, but she never thought Armaan would fail in doing so, all because she...
3.7K 70 6
AU: Minnie is convinced to come back to the school by Tenn and Violet. With half the Delta Members dead, and Lilly, she has nothing to loose. Until...