Awake | Book 1 of the AWAKE S...

بواسطة writerbynature

At twenty-five Karter Jarreau finds himself as the Alpha of the Cynwulf Wood Pack. He is one of the most fear... المزيد

Copyright
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty- Eight
Epilogue
What's Next?
I Need Your Help!!

Chapter Four

29.7K 1.2K 636
بواسطة writerbynature

Karter

            After we wrestled on the bed for a while I let her pin me just because I liked the feeling of her bra-less breasts on my chest. I had to act like I was really surprised that she pinned me down so she wouldn’t catch on. The hardness of her nipples while our bodies were connected wasn’t easy to ignore and it made me hard, thoroughly ending our little game.

I moved her off of my body and slid her to my side, wrapping my arm around her shoulders while we watched TV. She told me how the girl from the door, Dre, is her best friend and wanted her to catch up on some show called Pretty Little Liars so that when they hung out next she would be all caught up. We ended up watching every episode she had on her DVR and let me tell you there were a lot. Initially I was annoyed with it. Four little girls who wear clothes no high-school girl I’ve ever seen wear running around looking for clues about someone who keeps sending them texts and calling them bitches, I didn’t get the appeal.

But I must say the more I watched, the more into it I got. Dare I say, I actually like the damned show. Rose forced me to get the popcorn every time the bowl got low because she didn’t want to miss anything and in order to protect my manhood I acted like it was a joy to get away from the dramatic show but I definitely tuned into my wolf hearing from the kitchen so I wouldn’t be lost once I got back. Eventually we watched every episode she had recorded and fell asleep in each other’s arms after a drawn out discussion of our main suspects for who ‘A’ is.

            This morning I woke up wrapped up in her. Her hair is a bird’s nest on top of her head, probably thanks to the sweating she did because of my elevated temperature. I look down at her and smile at the little furrow in her brow. What in the hell could she be thinking about so hard in her sleep? I shake my head and chuckle softly as I unravel myself from her body slowly so that I don’t wake her. As much as I’d love to stay here another day and hang out, she has work and so do I. I know she gets up at five so I have to get out of here quickly to avoid seeing her.

I fold her father’s clothes I left on the floor last night and sit them on the couch along with a note saying thanks for taking care of me and that I’ll see her soon. The only thing I want to do right now is spend every second with her, getting to know her in every way, and I know if I see those hazel eyes I’ll break and stay.

            I ease out the front door and make sure Jason, a trusted member of my pack from New Orleans, is outside like I told him to be. We nod to each other and I hop into my car he drove here. I’ve known him since we were children and someone needs to be protecting Rose while I’m gone.

I speed to the pack house, the sooner I find out who’s behind this the sooner I can be with my mate.

The minute I walk in the door my mother throws her arms around my neck and then steps back to look at me before slapping my chest.

“You had me worried half to death! When I say come home that means bring your ass home Karter Dean Jarreau!” she scolds as I rub my chest and smile my winning smile at her. She can’t stay mad when I smile at her, no one can. She hugs me again and I can hear her muttering in Creole.

Once she finally lets me go my father grabs me in a quick hug and we walk into the office to talk. I see my grandma sitting in the corner knitting and she gives me a knowing smile and a nod before I get into the office.

My father sits down on the edge of my desk and I sit in the chair in front of him before he starts, “Son you know you really scared us. Your mother was near going on a rampage and killing any and every one that seemed suspicious.”

I rub the back of my neck and smirk, my mother’s Creole, enough said.

“Yeah I figured as much. These are the bullets that got pulled out of me, maybe you can find something on them,” I state, sitting Rose’s stolen mouthwash top on the desk. “Are there any clues as to who it was that attacked me?”

He sighs and moves from his seat on the desk to my chair behind it, grabbing a manila folder and handing it to me. I look through what can only be described as crime scene photos. The left side of my room is riddled with bullet holes and my bed looks like it was attacked by fabric eating worms. I gape at the amount of bullets that missed me compared to the three that got me, someone really wanted me dead. The thought of it wasn’t lost on me before but seeing these photos just brings it all full circle for me.

My heart rate speeds up in fear. Not for myself but for Rose. She’s still technically a human and if whoever is after me followed my scent I stupidly led them right to her. I quickly mind-link Jason and tell him to mask his and my scent hoping the fact that they didn’t attack us while we were together was a sign that they hadn’t already found her.

“Whoever it was that tried to assassinate you masked their scent and wore gloves. We couldn’t find any prints, hair, nothing. Hopefully we’ll find some kind of lead from these bullets,” my father continues but my mind is with Rose. I could slap myself for being that fucking dumb.

“Don’t worry son, we’ll find who did this and they’ll pay for it with their life.” I nod absentmindedly and close the folder full of panic inducing photos.

            After hours of going over the same information with the small circle of people I trust we came to a few conclusions. One, there’s no evidence pointing to anyone. Two, the Boudoir men are still suspects. And finally, everyone in the pack was to be interviewed by a member of my circle of trust. My father, Grey, Jason, Owen, and of course Connor are the only people I fully trust right now so they’ll be doing the questioning while I take a forced leave of absence.

My mother insisted I take a few days off just to recoup and readjust to being home even though I told her I’d be fine. There’s only so much arguing you can do with that woman before you just give up because she never will.

I walk up the two flights of stairs to my bedroom and stand outside of the door. The scene from Saturday plays freshly in my mind and I can’t seem to stop it. I can still see the shine of the gun from the sliver of moonlight that hit it illuminating it in the darkness like a beacon.

I sense someone behind me and before they can attack I spin and grab them by the throat pinning them to the wall. A growl erupts from my throat before I see Zoe’s wide green eyes. She’s clawing at my hand and trying to speak but the grip I have on her throat is so tight she can’t form words. I let her go immediately and she drops to the ground clutching at her throat trying to catch her breath.

“Jesus Christ Zoe are you okay? I’m sorry! I’m just…fuck! I’m sorry,” I apologize profusely as I try to catch her gaze.

She waves me off and struggles to get up before I help her. “It’s fine Karter, really. I know you’re probably on edge, I shouldn’t have been sneaking up on you.”

I shake my head and look into her eyes, making sure she’s alright. “No seriously I fucked up. I wasn’t thinking.”

She doesn’t respond, just hugs me tightly and rubs my back, trying to soothe me.

This is one of the things I always liked about Zoe, she’s very compassionate and forgiving. Here she is comforting me when I’m the one who nearly choked the daylights out of her.

Pulling back she gives me a sultry look, “I can take your mind off of all of this you know?” She trails her fingers lightly down the side of my face and under my chin the way she normally does to get me going only now it does nothing for me.

I take a step out of her grasp and shake my head, “I’m good. I just need to get some sleep.”

I can see by the look on her face that she’s surprised I turned her down but she doesn’t fight me on it and nods once before walking back downstairs.

Zoe’s a sweet girl and I hope she finds her mate soon but what we had is over and done thanks to a certain hazel-eyed angel. I walk into my newly fixed room and this time lock the door behind me smiling at the thought of her. The minute I stumbled onto her porch I was a goner and I wouldn’t have it any other way.   

Dylan

            I won’t lie and say that I wasn’t disappointed when I woke up alone. I was burning up all night thanks to that boy and his damned body heat and I intended on teasing him about it when we woke up. After calling his name a few times I knew he was gone and the sadness that swept over me because of that realization surprised me. I don’t normally get attached to someone this quickly and it startles me that I miss the feeling of his heavy arm around my waist and the way he stares at me when he thinks I’m not paying attention. But then again I don’t normally have men pass out on my porch from being shot three times and then stay a day with me just to hang out afterwards. I throw my legs over the side of the bed to get my day started and the stack of my father’s clothes catch my eye on the couch. There’s a little note on top and I unfold it.

Angel,

Sorry I had to leave so early but I couldn’t bear to wake you, your snores were just too cute to interrupt. Thank you again for taking care of me, your bedside manner is top notch. I know you’re probably concerned with when you’ll see me again but fear not I’ll be in touch.

Love always,

Cinderfella

            My brow knits together in confusion until I almost trip over something. Sure enough this idiot left one of his shoes in the floor and I have to laugh. After a shower and some breakfast I head to work which drags on and on until I’m called to the nurse’s station by Lucifer Lydia.

“What’s up Lydia?” I ask once I get there, I made sure to get there quickly this time.

She turns to me and hands me a few clipboards then points to an attractive man standing by us, “This is Reed, he’s new and he’s going to shadow you today while you make your rounds.”

She turns in the direction of her office and leaves us to it. I smile at him politely and take in his appearance. He’s close to six feet with dark hair and the bluest eyes I’ve ever seen, his broad shoulders and nice chest can’t help but be noticed in the light blue scrubs he’s wearing. I swallow to wet my throat and hold my hand out for him to shake.

“I’m Dylan Trevino by the way, and yes, she’s always like that,” I say trying to crack a joke.

He laughs lightly and shakes my hand, “Reed Summers, and great that’s just what I need, another high-strung boss.”

We both laugh as he tells me all about his old job at Mercy Hospital in York a few towns over.

            The rest of the day goes by fast thanks to Reed and the constant conversation. Apparently after he wouldn’t sleep with his last supervisor she became a total bitch and a tyrant. I let him know he wouldn’t have to worry about that here because Lydia was already like that before he showed up. We ended up eating lunch together and he told me about his childhood and why he became a nurse and how much shit he gets about it from his construction worker brothers. I’m so caught up in him that I don’t even realize it’s quitting time until Penny tells us on our third time walking past the nurse’s station.

I’m walking out of the hospital when I hear my name being called and turn around to see Reed. I can’t help but smile I’ve had a really good day thanks to him. I’m really going to enjoy having him work here.

“Hey, I just wanted to let you know it’s been nice meeting and getting to know you. I’m looking forward to working here now,” he says once he catches up to me and it makes me smile.

“Thanks Reed, same here today was actually bearable thanks to you,” I tell him genuinely. He smirks and it’s literally so sexy I have to stop myself from staring.

We stand there in a kind of awkward silence until I break it. “Well, I should probably get going. It’s been a long day.”

He agrees and we say our goodbyes before I walk to my car.

            The entire ride home I try to decipher if I could have a thing for Reed. We just met so of course I won’t make any moves but there’s nothing wrong with looking right? I try to remind myself that I’m a free woman and I can do what I want but I can’t help the nagging thought of Dean in the back of my mind. Even though Reed is attractive and I would definitely see him, it just doesn’t sit right with me. I can’t get Dean out of my head and I definitely should be able to. Nothing happened between us so it’s not like there’s something physical tying us together.

It’s not like when he looks at me the entire world around me stops and it’s just he and I or when he touches me I feel it radiate throughout my entire body so strong I can’t catch my breath or anything. I groan loudly at the realization that all of that and some happens. Even just thinking about him puts me in a good mood. I’ve never had that easy of a time being myself with anyone besides Andrea. He makes me so comfortable with being me that I carry that comfort with me even when he’s not here. I never knew someone could make you feel so at ease and so on edge at the same time. There’s something dangerous about him and he’s hiding things from me but when he does goofy things like this morning or last night when he tried to act disinterested in Pretty Little Liars but secretly he was super into it, I can’t help but forget about all of that.

            His shoe is still in the middle of my floor when I walk into the house as a reminder of him and I can’t stop the grin that spreads across my face. He’s so silly. I hop in the shower and handle my business quickly before slipping into the shirt Dean left and climbing into bed. I’m just plugging my phone in to charge it when a text comes in.

KDtheSexGod: Hey Angel

I laugh out loud at his name. When in the hell did he get his hands on my phone?

Me: Really? A sex god? Keep your little grubby hands off of my phone lol

KDtheSexGod: Girl stop playing! You know you love it! Probably just mad you didn’t think of it yourself lol

Me: Oh yes that’s exactly it. You caught me red handed lmao

KDtheSexGod: Can I just say how relieving it is that you don’t text like you’re nine?

Me: LOL what? How many nine year olds have you been texting?

KDtheSexGod: You know what I mean! All of that shorthand shot the kids are using these days lol

KDtheSexGod: Shit not shot. Ducking autocorrect

KDtheSexGod: Fucking I mean! You know what I give up on life lol

Me: Maybe you should lol I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow though so good night Cinderfella ;)

KDtheSexGod: Haha night Angel

            I put my phone down and I can’t stop smiling like an idiot. He’s so freaking cute I can’t stand it. I could just see him getting frustrated with the autocorrect. The frown that’d come across his brow in that sexy smoldering way of his, the way his pale eyes would go a shade darker. I sigh and bring my pillow down over my head. I’m getting all hot and bothered just thinking about him and those intense fucking eyes. This is going to be a long night. 

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

472 6 20
"The sun and the moon will meet in the sky, two hearts beating as one, a union that will defy, the laws of man and wolf. A child of power and strengt...
61.4K 4.4K 43
"Dad's gone," my cousin's voice was barely above a whisper. "You must come home for the Evaluations," she uttered and the phone line went dead. *****...
171K 3.5K 17
"Say it Blake" Damon says forcefully, keeping my hands pinned above my head. "Say what I want to hear" "N-No Damon" I whimpered. The pain in my wrist...
27.8M 634K 53
(Warning Mature Content) "You don't know how long i've been waiting for you to say that..." Sam groaned into the crook of my neck, his teeth grazing...