The Older Potter // HP Older...

By Ilvermornist

Samantha Potter lived a normal life. She went to Hogwarts, played Quidditch, and tried to pass History of Mag... More

Part 1
TRAILER
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
99
100
101
102
103
104
105
106
107
108
109
110
111
112
113
114
115
116
117
118
119
120
121

87

4.8K 228 61
By Ilvermornist

C H A P T E R  87

Samantha's mind was feeling as she and Harry soon left Moody's office. She had just enough time to head back to her dorm for a little bit and then go to dinner. Harry rushed off to find Hermione so she could help him with the Summoning Charm. It had to be perfect so he could summon his Firebolt.

It was a great idea. Harry could easily fly around the dragon and succeed in the task. But Samantha was still at a loss for what she would do. Distract the dragon. It sounded simple but there were a million paths she could go down. Her thoughts then went back to Moody.

Those were the ingredients to Polyjuice Potion!

Why? Why did he have that? Why was it in plain sight? Did he expect people to see it when in his office?

The trunk could be overlooked if one wasn't curious....and Samantha was very curious. She didn't think Moody saw her since he was talking to Harry, but Samantha didn't know about his magical eye. Samantha assumed it didn't see her because if it did, Moody would have said something.

Her thoughts went back to why he had that. Why did he need to brew Polyjuice Potion. He wasn't teaching Potions so that was ruled out.

As she slowly made her way back to the Common Room, Samantha decided to ask Sirius. She wanted to ask him again about the dragons and see if he knew anything.

She walked right through the Common Room and ignored the calls by George who was sitting with Lee, Alicia, and Katie.

Pushing open her dorm door, Samantha went straight for her mirror. She saw Angelina sitting on her bed, but ignored her and went straight for her own bed.

Angelina watched Samantha take out a mirror and sit on her bed. Samantha didn't seem to mind Angelina being in the room and called out, "Sirius!"

"I can leave, if you want," Angelina said in a neutral tone.

Samantha looked up and shrugged. "I don't care."

Angelina nodded and went back to her Transfiguration book.

"Hey, how's it going?" Sirius said, coming into view.

Samantha shrugged. Unsure of what to make of the Moody situation. She knew something was wrong, and now there seemed to be confirmation. "Ok I guess."

"Ok? I'd be freaking out. The first task is tomorrow!"

She sighed. "And it's also dragons, Harry's prediction was right."

Angelina looked over from her book in shock. Dragons? Samantha had to face a dragon? Angelina may be a strong headed person, but even thinking about a dragon was bringing her fear and nerves. She saw how calm Samantha was but Samantha was always the person to suppress her feelings and bottle them up.

Sirius' eyes widened. "Wow."

"Yeah, any helpful ideas on how to get past a dragon?"

He paused. "Actually no. Personally, I'd just wing it."

Samantha rolled her eyes. "Of course you would."

Sirius grimaced. "Sorry, you know your father and I never really planned anything in advance. We would just roll with the flow."

Samantha laughed. "I can picture you two up against a dragon and trying to throw Dungbombs at it."

A laugh escaped his lips. "But honestly, I would try a distraction."

"That's what I was thinking, but I don't know how."

"Ok, let me ask Remus and Tonks who are out grocery shopping. Come back after dinner this evening and we'll talk again," Sirius explained.

Samantha nodded. "Alright, talk to you soon."

"Bye," Sirius said and turned the mirror over.

Samantha put the mirror on her bedside table and layed down on her bed to catch her breath and free her mind. She let out several large breaths and really wanted to let go of stress and focus on how she would get past the dragon. The task was tomorrow and Samantha was still drawing a blank.

"So the first task is dragons?" Samantha heard Angelina ask.

Samantha sat up and saw that Angelina closed her book. She nodded. "Yes it is."

Her eyebrows raised slightly. "Wow...that's uhm...that's crazy."

"Yeah, crazy for someone not wanting to compete in the first place," Samantha snipped and then went for her trunk. Her nerves were coming back with the thought of dinner coming, then having to go to sleep, then waking up to the day of the task.

Angelina bit her lip and the guilty feeling was coming back. For the past few days, being without her best friend was taking a toll on her. She had Alicia but Samantha wasn't there and it wasn't the same. The three of them couldn't talk about girl stuff and Angelina really wanted to talk to Samantha about her feelings towards a certain red head.

Clearly Samantha was still upset and wasn't anywhere near a forgiving mood. Angelina watched her go through her trunk and take our various pieces of parchment.

"I really should clean this rubbish out," she heard Samantha mutter.

"Why is all of that in there?" Angelina asked.

Samantha shrugged. "I'm too lazy to clean it out but now I feel like this might calm my nerves."

"So you really are nervous?"

"Why wouldn't I be? Not every day you go and face a fire-breathing dragon," Samantha said sighing. She took out her old Transfiguration notebooks and set them aside on the ground to go through them.

"I heard you didn't have any ideas?" Angelina asked and then moved from her bed. She carefully made her way over and sat down on Alicia's bed which was next to Samantha's.

Samantha shook her head. "No, I've got nothing."

Angelina nodded slowly and then took one of Samantha's notebooks to breeze through them. It was their third year notebook and as Angelina fluttered through the pages, she stopped at the end. It was their review and something caught her eye.

The word Draconifors.

There wasn't an explanation to the word but that definitely jogged her memory from that year.

"Samantha?"

"Hmm?" she asked, sorting through some old Honeydukes candy wrappers.

"Do you remember the spell Draconifors?"

Samantha raised an eyebrow and thought for a moment. "From Transfiguration right?"

Angelina nodded.

"Isn't it that spell that transfigured objects into dragons?"

"I think."

Samantha took out her wand and pointed it at her bathroom towel. "Draconifors," The towel then transformed into a dragon that matched it size. She raised her wand and it flew into the air. Samantha slashed her wand and it turned back into a towel.

"You can use that as a distraction," Angelina said after staring at the dragon.

She nodded slowly. "Yeah, that would work but I would need a much bigger thing to transfigure and I don't know if I've reached that level of Transfiguration."

"Then either create more tiny dragons or use another animal to distract the dragon."

Samantha nodded again and smiled at Angelina. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

She put back her notebooks into her trunk which was a bit cleaner but still needed a lot of work.

"So what's up with you and Marcus? Why are you laughing with the jerk who cursed you?" Angelina asked suddenly. She's been holding in this question since she saw the two and wanted to ease in asking Samantha. If she would have asked her first, then Samantha would have brushed her off and gotten even more angry at her.

"Marcus didn't curse me."

Angelina raised an eyebrow. "Wh--what?"

Samantha then told her that it was Montague and that Marcus took the blame.

"Why would he do that?"

"He didn't want the school to hate him because everyone would have taken my side," she explained.

"Well he's not wrong," Angelina said and then sighed. Yes they were talking but it still wasn't the same. Something was missing. She thought for a moment and paused. "I'm sorry."

Samantha looked over at her while Angelina grimaced. "I'm sorry for ignoring you and not believing you. I was jealous."

Samantha nodded while Angelina continued. "It's just that I was the only one in our group who said they were going to enter. You said you didn't want to enter and when your name came out, I thought you only said that to avoid the attention. I wanted to be the one to bring Hogwarts and Gryffindor glory and you're famous--"

"Not by choice," Samantha cut in, sighing.

"I know...well I know that now. I just got so angry that you would be in the Daily Prophet yet again with all of the fame--"

"I don't want--"

"And I know that now too. Seeing you around school the past few weeks not yourself showed me just how much you didn't want this. I've been a horrible friend and I want you to know that I'm sorry and that I want to be here for you."

Samantha smiled and stood up. She brought Angelina into a hug. "I forgive you," Samantha really did miss Angelina and was happy to have her friend back. Even though she was acting snippy earlier, all she wanted was for her friend to apologize and that would be the end of it. As soon as she heard her explanation, Samantha instantly wiped away any anger towards her friend and forgave her. Now, she needed her friends more than anything so holding a grudge would not be the best idea.

They pulled away and Samantha sat down on her bed. "So is Fred still angry?"

Angelina shrugged slightly. "He's still upset, yes, but I know he'll come around after the task."

"He better or I won't be so forgiving," Samantha snipped.

"He's jealous like I was."

Samantha sighed. "I don't get why. He's never thought about other people and what they do. Him and George have done their own thing since...forever. It's not like they care about academics or measuring up to Percy, Charlie, or Bill."

Angelina shrugged. "I just think he feels the way I felt."

She nodded understanding.

"So uhm speaking of Fred....." Angelina continued trailing off. She smiled awkwardly and coughed a few times.

Samantha raised an eyebrow and a grin started to form on her face. "Yes?"

"Well obviously I've been spending a lot of time with him due to not talking to you and we've gotten a lot closer. Like I told you before, I didn't want to rush or force anything, that's why nothing happened last year. But I think...something might."

Samantha was grinning widely as she was listening to Angelina. It was happening, it was finally happening. After a year of being confused as to why their little interaction stopped was suddenly brought up again. Her two best friends would get together and make their group that much better.

• • • • •

It was here. The day of the first task. The school was buzzing. Everyone was talking about it and Samantha just wanted to curl up in ball and hide away.

People were giving her looks and some voiced encouragement. Of course the Slytherins were making their jokes as her and Harry walked passed some on the way down to breakfast.

Classes were being stopped midday to have lunch and then go down to where the dragons were currently being held. No one knew what was to come and Samantha knew everyone was going to be excited when seeing what was in store. Then hopefully everyone would stop being excited and feel bad that she was being thrown into this danger.

Transfiguration was quite boring. It wasn't that McGonagall was teaching a boring class, it was due to everyone staring up at the clock and wishing it would move faster. Though Samantha wished it would move slower. Every second that passed meant less time to prepare.

McGonagall kept giving Samantha side glances and would usually scold her for not paying attention but due to circumstances out of her control, she couldn't and had to try and keep everyone else's focus.

Angelina was sitting by Fred who had no idea her and Samantha made up. The two agreed not to tell Fred yet in hopes of him seeing her face a dangerous dragon and come to his senses at how ridiculous he was acting. Samantha kept grinning in between Alicia and Angelina. Angelina would turn a light shade of red and turn back to McGonagall who was writing notes on the chalkboard.

George and Lee were also smirking slightly at what was going on. Samantha told the two what was going on, well everything except Angelina liking Fred and it possibly being mutual. George said he would talk to Fred and try and see where his head was at.

Cedric and Luke were also mentally thinking about the task and what Samantha was going to do. He was still a bit upset at her for being the champion, but as time went on and the task coming closer and closer he found himself feeling more and more lousy. He didn't know where they stood and hoped that her doing well later meant he could use that an excuse to talk to her.

Katherine Clearwater and Justin Cross also had their thoughts on the task too and not paying attention like they usually did. They were supporting Samantha and even convinced some of their fellow Ravenclaws to support her and Harry as well. At the beginning, they had their mixed emotions but the Ravenclaws were always level headed and started to come around to support Hogwarts.

Samantha also wanted to see Marcus before or after the task and hoped she would be able too. Angelina and Alicia were now filled in with her growing feelings and told her to at least try something. Samantha said she would wait until after the task to explore further.

The bell rang and Samantha had a free period until lunch while a few of her friends went off to Muggle Studies. Fred walked out of Transfiguration alone while Samantha walked with George back to the Common Room.

Samantha fell onto the couch be the fire and gave an obnoxious sigh. "How much longer until my death?"

George snorted and then looked at his watch. "T-minus 90 minutes."

She groaned.

"Come on, how bad can it be?" George asked as he picked up the poker to fiddle with the fire.

Samantha wanted to yell out that dragons were indeed a bad situation but she couldn't. She wanted him and Fred to be surprised. Their reactions were what she was looking forward too after the task. "And everyone just has to watch. I really don't why this has to be done in front of the whole school and a panel of judges."

George shrugged. "To add to the pressure probably. You know my dad wrote to me this morning and said him and other Ministry officials are taking off work early to come and watch. He's coming with Bill, Charlie, Sirius, Remus, and Tonks."

Samantha sat up. "WHAT?!" she cried. "Ministry officials are watching too?!"

His eyes widened a bit. "Is...uhh...is that bad?"

She nodded her head vigorously. "UH YES! Now I have to do well if I want a future job there! They'll think I'm dumb if I can't even pass the first task. Oh gosh now I'm even more nervous," she groaned and burried her head in her hands. "I barely even have a plan."

George watched on with a petrified expression. He had made things worse and didn't know what to do. He was always the more awkward twin when it came to comforting someone. Fred was the more sensitive guy and would know exactly what to say right now. But he wasn't here. He was too busy being blinded by his jealously to see what was really going on. "Oh stop, you'll be fine!"

Samantha looked up and sighed. "Thanks," she muttered.

Her thoughts then went back to the Draconifors spell and knew she had to do more than that. But what else was there? What other spell could she use to distract the dragon? A smile appeared on her face at her next thought. Maybe she should give the dragon some Weasley Wizard Wheezes products. It'll freak out over it's blue skin or boils suddenly appearing.

She sat back on the couch and rested her head on the arm rest. She looked over and saw that George was looking at a few pieces of parchment, probably order forms.

As she closed her eyes and let her thoughts run free, they came to Ludo Bagman. She had to talk to him alone soon and hoped she would be able too during the task. With her and Fred not speaking, she didn't know where they stood with him.

She didn't realize she had fallen asleep until she was being furiously shaken awake. Her eyes fluttered open and saw Angelina, Alicia, Lee, and George looking over her.

"Come on, lets go to lunch," Angelina said.

Samantha yawned and stretched. She then looked at the clock and saw she had taken a nice one hour snooze. She felt much more relaxed but her insides still tingled with nerves and anticipation.

She placed her wand in her front pocket and followed her friends out of the Common Room. She noticed Fred wasn't with them and assumed he would be waiting for either Angelina or George at the Great Hall.

As they walked down, the reality of the task became more and more real. Weeks went down to days. Days went down to hours. And there was only an hour left.

A few students in the halls gave her a nod or words of encouragement as they passed and that seemed to calm her down a little. At least she had most of the school on her side.

They entered the Great Hall and Samantha saw Harry sitting down with Hermione. She led the group over to where they were while Angelina gave her a small smile and went over to where Fred was which was by Ron, Dean, and Seamus.

"Hello," Samantha said in an airy tone. She took another breath to now fully break free from her nap earlier.

"Hey," Harry muttered.

"Ready?" she asked as she piled some salad onto her plate. Maybe eating healthy will calm her nerves.

Harry looked up and swallowed the turkey he was eating. "I guess, we've been up late practicing the Summoning Charm," he said and nodding to Hermione who could use with a nap.

"And have you mastered it?"

A grimace formed on his face. "I think so. I can summon books but hopefully I'll be able to summon my Firebolt."

Hermione sighed. "He will definitely be able too, but only if he concentrates."

Samantha then ate her salad and as she finished, the doors to the Great Hall opened and in rushed Professor McGonagall. Her eyes scanned the Gryffindor table and once she saw Harry and Samantha, she hurried over. Everyone had stopped eating and watched the Transfiguration teacher head over to the two Potters. They instantly knew what was coming.

"Hello you two," McGonagall said. "The Champions have to get ready for the first task soon, come on."

Samantha sighed while Harry dropped his fork. The two stood up and swung their legs over the bench.

"Good luck," Hermione said while Samantha received well wishes from George, Alicia, Lee, and Katie. Angelina gave her a smile while Fred continued to look down at his plate.

They followed McGonagall out of the Great Hall who was looking just as anxious as they were. Her lips were pressed in a thin line and walked in a swift fashion.

The cold November air hit them as they left the castle and over to the edge of the Forbidden Forest. Samantha saw a tent and the dragon enclosure where she was sure they would be facing the dragons.

They reached the flap and McGonagall turned to them. "Now don't panic, you two will be fine. There are wizards nearby in case things get out of control. Good luck."

"Thanks," they said and walked inside. Fleur and Viktor were sitting on wooden stools and were dressed in their school colors. On a nearby bench were two sets of matching shirt and pants in Gryffindor colors with S. Potter and H. Potter on the back in gold writing.

Ludo Bagman was by the flap on the other side of the tent and turned when he saw the two Potters. "Good-o. Harry, Samantha, come on it. Please go to the changing rooms to change and then come back for further instruction."

The two nodded, grabbed their clothes, and proceeded into the next part of the tent where there were four changing rooms.

Samantha felt the cold when she put on the short sleve shirt and loose fitting pants. Why couldn't they have been given and more comfy jumpsuit or something like that?

When she emerged she saw Harry and laughed. "We match."

Harry smirked and they walked back to the main area. Samantha smiled at Viktor who looked to be calm but had a strained expression. Fleur gave her a small nod and fixed her hair into a ponytail. Ludo grinned brightly at the two and gestured the four to circle around him.

"Splendid, now let me explain how this will go down. When I get the ok, you will pick a...model of what you will be facing. A number will be attached to each...variety and that will be the order in which you will go. Your task will be to collect the golden egg!"

They all nodded while Bagman walked over to the flap. Samantha followed him. "Ludo, can I have word please?"

Bagman slowly turned to her and bit his lip nervously. He looked at Samantha who was glaring up at him aand had her arms crossed. "You know what this is about," she said through clenched teeth.

An angsty cough escaped his lips. "Oh--well--uhm--right, well you see--"

Someone walked up to them. It was Barty Crouch. He stared at them and gave the two a small nod. "The students are coming in now so you can get started, Ludo," he said and then left the tent.

Samantha scowled at Barty's retreating back for interrupting them. She had Ludo flustered and was about to make progress. Now she would have to wait until after the task.

"Right," he said and neared the four who circled around him again. He yook out the silk bag and turned to Samantha. "After you."

Samantha reached in the back and took a small silvery blue dragon. It was the Swedish Short Snout with a number 2. Fleur picked the Welsh Green with a number 3, Viktor the Chinese Fireball with a number 1, which left Harry with the Hungarian Horntail and the number 4. Of course Harry had to go last and have the worst dragon. He always had the flare for drama and danger.

"There are you. You have chosen the dragon you are going to face and the order. You will have to get around the dragon to collect the egg," he said and turned to Viktor. "Mr. Krum, you are going to go out into the enclosure when you hear the whistle. Now Harry, can i have a quick word before I leave to go commentate?"

Samantha raised an eyebrow while Harry nodded slowly. He followed Bagman out of the tent. Viktor started to pace by the flap. "You'll be fine, Viktor."

He smiled grimly. "Thanks."

A few minutes later as they heard footsteps pass the tent, the whistle went off.

Viktor swallowed and took a breath. As he opened up the flap, Bagman came from the other side of the tent and rushed through following Viktor.

Samantha watched as the flap closed and started to pace by it. She was next. Harry came in and sat by Fleur who was sitting on the wooden stool. "What did Bagman want?" Samantha asked.

"He wanted to help me out," Harry said. "Give me tips.

"Why would he do that?"

Harry shrugged. "I don't know. But when I refused his help, he kept insisting."

"Odd," Samantha muttered as the crowd broke into loud cheers. Viktor must have emerged into the enclosure.

As time went on, it felt like forever that Viktor was gone. She heard Bagman's commentating which consisted of "Narrow miss" or "what a spell!"

At last, there was another loud cheer which Samantha assumed was Viktor getting the egg.

"He's done it! Mr. Krum as gotten his golden egg! Now let's get to the judges for his scores!"

Moments later, Bagman said for Viktor to go another tent for a check up to make sure he wasn't hurt.

Samantha stopped pacing and stood by the flap. Any moment the whistle would sound and it would be her turn. Harry sensed this and cleared his throat. "Good luck," he said.

She smiled at him.

And then the whistle sounded. It was time.

Here we go! First task! Comment your predictions! Don't forget to vote and follow!

Omg omg please please please just marvel at the beautiful banner made by the amazing siriuslysarcastic !! I will be adding this at the end to every chapter! I'll go back and add it in to the previous chapters but I'll do that in moderation. But it's so amazing! I love it so much!!

Until then,

<3 Sam

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

353K 9.5K 162
The Chosen One and the most powerful witch of all time battle their shared darkness till the end... maybe even after that. I do not own Harry Potter...
367K 8.3K 40
From the good to the bad, everyone's favorite Slytherin princess, Rowan Bailey; seems like princess, isn't so innocent after all. + A book that takes...
12.9K 376 112
(FRED WEASLEY LOVE STORY) (Y/n) Black, a beautiful girl and has a lot of secrets from her past, will she be able to over come the challenges with bei...
82K 3K 33
"Nothing was ever given to me. I've had to fight my way to survive. I was thrown to the wolves, yet I came back leading the pack. I'm as smart as the...