The Lost Moonlark (KOTLC fanf...

By HiddenSecrets55

Sophie Elizabeth Foster was lost. With no way to get home, no way to find her way back to The Lost Cities. No... More

Chapter Two
Chapter 3
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chapter One

8.4K 73 15
By HiddenSecrets55

Unedited.

Sophie felt warm and cold at once. She didn't know where she was at. All she knew was she had to get out of there. Wherever 'there' was.

Pulling her eyes open she found herself staring at a dark sky, lit with the most beautiful lights she had ever seen. Pink, purple, green, blue and white floated through the star covered sky. As Sophie breathed, she could see her breath come out in a white puff of fog. She was laying on something soft, that was also breathing. Looking down, Sophie found Myth, his large head in his paws. His own breath causing small puffs of fog.

Snow coated the ground and snowflakes were starting to fall like small kisses from the sky. Sophie painfully pushed herself up. Groaning, she felt something hard pressing against her chest. What had happened? Where was she? Opening her tunic Sophie found a book. Looking down at the beast, beneath her, she remembered finding him and taking care of him, but she couldn't remember much else. Pulling the book out of the pocket of her tunic, she opened it and read:

Alvar Vacker.
That stupid elf! How dare dare he act nice to me!

Elf? Sophie wondered, who was Alvar Vacker? Her mind brought up a picture of a handsome teal eyed boy, cutting up a mango. But elf? gradually but by bit Sophie remembered her parents and sister weren't in the picture anymore... She was a elf...but she was missing something. Sophie continued reading but the swirling lights above her.

Coughing up poison and my own blood was bad enough, but asking if I needed anything, when he's the one keeping me here, is just beyond the point of low. It make my stomach boil...or that might just be the poison.

Sophie had been poisoned? Was she going to live? Sophie flipped over the pages of her ranting about this Alvar Vacker, mentioning transmissions from Fitz. A Sandor, who what Sophie gathered was a goblin body guard. Sophie mentioned Neverseen, Black Swan, Brant hitting her with a bat and hoping Mr. Forkle could find her a way to escape. Sophie stopped at a page, which had neater...almost calmer writing.

He's a prisoner too. Alvar said he wanted out, Ruy betrayed him and now he's a prisoner. We're going to escape together. We've called a truce between us. Also someone at Havenfield is a spy.

Havenfield. A picture of a tree on a hill popped into mind. Sophie found a pen in between the pages. She decided to write.

It looks like I'm in Alaska. Myth is with me, but I can't remember much, it's like my memories have been wiped clean. I'm sore all over and I'm in pain, but from what I gathered from recent pages, I had a truce, all I know right now, is that I have to get moving.

Myth's brown eyes opened, as Sophie placed the book back in her inner pocket and clasping it closed. "Hey boy." She greeted as she sat up. He yawned showing massive teeth. "We need to get moving." She said as she crawled off of him, the beast stood up. Sophie searched in the satchel around her shoulder. Fade fuel, allergy medicine, a box with lemon smelling soap. Rope was coiled at her side, a knife in her boot, and a earring was frozen to the top of her ear.

Tying the rope around Myth's neck, Sophie tied the end around her wrist, so she wouldn't be separated from him. They started plowing through snow. Only twenty steps and Sophie was exhausted. Myth stopped and let her climb on his back. She slumped down and focused on balancing as snow swirled around her, she was a shivering mess, when she heard the barking and howling dogs...or was it wolves? Her heart pounding as she lifted her head to check, she heard the sound of running paws, and the crunch of ice under skies. She spotted a light, coming from the dog sled, "Hullo!" The man called as he waved the light around. "Hullo!" Sophie managed to call back, she heard the man give a very unmanly scream as the light dropped.

"Who is there?!" He shouted. Sophie Elizabeth Foster...S...E...F... "Sef!" She called, not wanting to give her name out to a stranger. The dim light focused on her, "Mother of..." The man trailed off as he stared at the ghostly Sophie riding an unrecognizable beast. Something of a cross between a polar bear and a wolf. Sophie's blonde hair swirled around her, probably making an intimidating ghostly sight. "What are you?!" The man called as the huskies barked and growled at Myth who just gave a loud snarl, making them whimper. "I'm lost." Sophie called. "I'll say." The man said under his breath, but the wind carried his voice to Sophie's ears. "Follow close behind, I'll take you to town." He called.

Sophie followed the dog sled, to a few buildings that she wouldn't even consider a town. The man pulled his dog sled up to a small home. "Go on inside, I have to get the dogs back in the shed." He said, staring at Sophie as she stumbled off of Myth. She shoved open the door and the beast followed her. The room Sophie entered was carpeted, with two couches facing each other a coffee table sat in the middle. She untied the rope and recoiled it to her side. Myth lay at her feet as she sat on a couch. Wrapping her cloak tighter around her she shivered. The man car in a few minutes later stomping his boots. He looked at Sophie, Myth than he turned on the heater. "Hot chocolate?" He offered peeling his gloves off, he shrugged out of his thick coat.

Pulling his had, Sophie found he was a very young man...mid twenties. "Yes, thank you." Sophie nodded as the thin man moved to the kitchen. "What did you say your name was?" He asked. "Sef." Sophie replied. "Nice to meet you Sef, my name is, Kyle Whitaker." He said. "What...what were you doing out there in the snow? With a storm warning no less." Kyle asked. "I don't know." Sophie shrugged. She had just woken up, and she felt incredibility weak. "Well who are your parents...I'm sure they're worried." Kyle said. "My parents...aren't around anymore." Sophie said, trying to get a lie closest to the truth as possible. "What about the people who are in charge of you?" Kyle asked.

"I don't have guardians..."

"Well what were you doing out there? You know there are wolves right? If the wolves and bears don't get you the cold will." Kyle sighed. "I don't remember." Sophie said. Kyle held up his finger as the whistle of a teapot screamed. He came back with two mugs of steaming hot chocolate. Sophie sniffed it, Myth raised his head and sniffed, looking for poison he grounded before laying his head back on his paws. "You got amnesia or something kid?" Kyle asked. "A mild case. Things are coming back in flashes right now." That was a lie, Sophie couldn't even remember how she got outside. Kyle sat down on the opposite couch, being careful not to get his feet close to any where near Myth. "Does this happen a lot?" He asked.

Sophie hummed under her breath, answering the question without really answering it. Kyle sighed as he drank his hot chocolate, before rubbing the stubble on his jaw. "Alright than Sef, here is what we are going to do." He said setting his cup down on the coffee table. "Since a storm is coming in, you'll stay here with me. I'll call the police station, so as soon as this storm passes, they'll be here." As if to prove his point more the howling of wolves went up. Myth's snarl ripped through the small house, making Kyle jump. "Also your pet-"

"He's not a pet." Sophie said, "He's a companion." Kyle stared at her. "Your companion ...will he try to eat me?" Kyle asked. "Don't be silly. Of course he won't." Sophie said. Myth only opened his mouth showing his teeth to Kyle. Kyle swallowed loudly, "What is he anyways?"

"A mixed breed." Sophie said rubbing Myth's ears affectionately. Myth leaned against her legs enjoying the scratching, but his brown eyes glared at Kyle. "I gathered that much." Kyle said, which earned a growl from Myth, urging him to change the subject. "Come on, I'll show you to your room." Kyle stood Sophie finished her hot chocolate and pushed herself half way up before yelping and clutching her rolling stomach. "What's wrong? Are you okay?" Kyle asked. Sophie unwrapped her cloak and lifted her tunic. There on her stomach was purple and black bruises, covering her sides and stomach. Kyle cursed under his breath, "What happened to you?" He asked, as Sophie gently probed one of the bruises curiously. "Don't do that!" Kyle snapped.

"I don't.... I don't remember." Sophie said. Kyle rubbed his temples. "Do you need me to carry you?" He asked. "No...I can stand." Sophie said, using Myth's shoulders to balance she stood, wincing. "Are you just telling me you don't remember or are you serious?" Kyle asked. "I'm serious." Sophie said as she leaned against Myth, and followed him into a cozy back room. Kyle went to the dresser and pulled out sweat pants that clearly belonged to a woman, along with a long sleeve shirt. "You can take a shower if you want." He said pointing at the bathroom. "Just be sure to dry your hair." He said pointing at the blow dryer. "I'm calling the police now." He said, edging around Myth he left the room.

Sophie locked the door... Out of what felt like habit, she picked up the clothes Kyle had left out, sniffing them, they smelled like perfume and detergent. The side of the black sweat pants said 'Knockout' in pink letters. Sophie showered and changed into the slightly to big clothes, then wrapped her cloak around her again....she stared at the round alicorn pin....an edging of a memory danced just out of her reach, nagging her like a gnat she couldn't swat away. A mental picture of a massive white alicorn entered her mind, pawing at the ground, her nostrils flared in panic, she tossed her head, making her main shake and sparkle in the sunlight. A knock on the bedroom door sounded. "Are you okay in there?" Kyle's voice asked.

"Fine...." Sophie had already dried her hair and finished braiding it. While in the shower she found several more bruises on her legs, back, arms, and hips. It was as if she had been shoved into a boxing match, with no training, then pulled back out once she had been beaten. Sophie quickly wrote a short note about Kyle Whitaker, in her journal, how he was helping her. Sophie opened the door, a crack and heard Kyle talking lowly on the phone.

"I don't know babe...maybe it's better that she doesn't remember anything. Those bruises... They're fresh and massive too.

...

No, she just gave me the name Sef, and she's got this massive bear wolf thing at her side, that she calls a companion...and I mean the thing...it's huge but it doesn't seem like it wants to hurt me.

...

I know, I know, but I couldn't just leave her out in the cold. She was nearly frozen out there. Right now? She's in our room, I gave her some of your older clothes to change into.

...

No it's not your 'Pink' clothes.

...

What else was I supposed to do? She looks like she's barely thirteen or fourteen, she wasn't dressed for the cold, and she can't remember anything. Besides I'm sure she would of followed me anyways.

.

Yes I know! But I can't just let her free-

...........

........

Alright fine! I'll be careful, the police will be over first thing tomorrow, and she can go with the- what?

...

What do you mean your not coming back until she's gone? She's just a gir-

...

She'll be gone by tomorrow. I promise.

...

Alright than. Goodnight. I love you."

It seemed as if the girlfriend he was talking to didn't say those three little words back, Sophie could tell, by the way Kyle looked at the phone. He let out a long sigh as he hung up the phone, he looked over at the door, where he spotted Sophie looking out. He gave a small smile, "That was your girlfriend?" Sophie asked letting Myth lead her out of the room. "Alena..." He nodded. Sophie sat on the couch opposite him, Myth crawled on next to her, making the couch sag down, Myth laid his massive head on her lap. "No offence but she seems like a witch." Sophie said. Kyle sighed, "It's just complicated right now." He said, "Does she make you happy?" Sophie asked. "Well yeah, sometimes.."

"Only sometimes?" Sophie asked. "I said it was complicated." Kyle said. Myth let out a short breath, that sounded like a sarcastic snort, Sophie smiled down at the large beast who had squished himself onto the couch. "If you don't become happy when your friends or partners show up, it means you really shouldn't have them in your life." Sophie said. "You should do what makes you happy, as a person you deserve to do what makes you happy. You shouldn't have people who don't make you happy in your life." Sophie said, as she ran her fingers throughout the soft fur of Myth.

"That's pretty smart...who told you that?" Kyle asked. Sophie looked up at Kyle. "It's simple logic."

"Logic huh? What other kind of logic do you have?"

"Early to bed early to rise." Sophie said as she glanced at the round clock on the wall. It read 2:30 AM. Kyle looked at the clock. "You're probably right. You're welcome to take the bedroom..." He offered. Sophie shook her head. "Right here is fine thank you." Sophie said. Kyle nodded. "Alright, then. Sleep...well." He said before going to the back room. Sophie switched the lamp off, and wiggled under Myth, who warmed her with his thick coat. Sophie glanced around the dark room, as her sight adjusted. As Sophie fell asleep, she remembered seeing a picture of Kyle standing in front of a white and red plane, beside a policewoman. The woman had fiery red hair a small split in the front of her teeth, but they each had an arm slung around the other, holding up their gloved hands, showing a thumbs up. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.3K 278 38
DISCONTINUED AND BEING REWRITTEN with minor plot changes (and with much better writing - hopefully) Newer version can be found on my profile. Thank y...
29.7K 440 50
Unlocked has already come out, but what if the story had gone differently? What if Keefe had manifested a different ability? What if Oralie's cache...
5.4K 68 17
Sophie Foster is in a toxic and abusive relationship with her current boyfriend, Steve. Sophie and her old friend and crush, Fitz Vacker bump into ea...
24.4K 367 34
Sophie and Fitz finally confess their love, which makes some people *cough* Keefe *cough* jealous. But, when the Neverseen kidnaps Sophie, Keefe must...