Getting Through The Dark

By Crying_Rain

Corah Faye was a quiet teen. With few friends and few hobbies. She kept to herself and didn't voice her opini... More

Crash to darkness
New in town
Assignment
Making plans
Something strange
A friend and a book
Let the water flow
Good game
Me and Char
The other football team
No happy endings
Picture
Under the water
Reality TV
Is it in Spain?
**AUTHORS NOTE**
Friends...

No gardening skills

66 4 3
By Crying_Rain

Corah's POV

I walk down the emptying halls on my way to find Reid. Lunch was like any other day. All I got today was more details to that stupid dance. Jade said it would be the weekend before March brake. A couple weeks away. So far it didn't have a theme or reason, that I knew about so like most things, I found it pointless. Reaching the parking lot, I spot Reid by his car.

"Hey." He smiles.

"Hi." I say not sounding half as enthusiastic as he did. We get in the car and drive out of the school parking lot. As we reach his street, I break the silence.

"Are your parents home?" I kind of regretted asking that because I remembered that his mom was 'no longer around', whatever that meant, I wasn't sure yet.

"No, dad is on a work trip so he wont be back till Tuesday." He answered, casually.

"Do you like being alone?" I asked out of the blue. He laughs slightly then stops.

"To be honest with you, not really." He pulls into the drive way and looks over to me, stopping the engine. I look into his eyes trying to read them. I could tell he was really being honest with me. I could see it. He was sad inside. "He leaves almost every weekend." He continued.

"Doesn't that bother you?" I said a little louder. I wasn't usually one to voice my opinion but I know what it's like when people leave you. Yeah, sometimes I liked being by myself but only because I knew my family was only minutes away. I wasn't to happy when they were days and hours away and they left us with the tormentor (Bill's brother).

"Well, I guess a little, but it's for his work. There's not much I can do." He said quietly. I never met Reid's dad but I was already upset with him. Along with my parents.

He looked so sad. He did seem like the kind of person who always needed company. Just the cheerful type. You know? I look over at him and see he was looking down and hiding his face from me.

"I'll stay with you." The words came out like nothing. I wasn't too sure why I said that.

"For the weekend, I mean. Like until your dad gets back." I stumble out trying to explain. "If you want." I add quietly looking away. Then I look back at him and see his sadness was gone. He was smiling. Not an annoying smirk but just a smile. I smile back, shyly.

"Thanks." He says.

Finally we get out of the car and walk into the house. The only room of the house I had seen was the living room and only a little bit of the kitchen. As I walk into it now I could fully observe it. It was nice. Big like the living room. Everything seemed oddly clean for a house of two men. The counters were brown-ish read and cupboards were just a nice solid brown. There was a small polished table in the middle of the room, a stainless steal fridge in a corner. A stove and sink along the counter of the wall. The ceiling was pretty high and it had a big light hanging down from it. My kitchen was probably half the size and not even half as nice.

"I put the stuff in an other room, I'll go get it." Reid said as he walked out of the room and down the hall. A couple seconds latter he came back with the pots, the dirt, watering cans, seeds and more planting gear. He looked like a proper gardener. Although he was totally about to drop everything. As the pots were slipping out of his hands, I grabbed them.

"I got it." I took the dirt from him and was about to put them on the table, "I think we should cover the table first. Don't you think?" I said before he could put the stuff down. He sighed. I chuckled.

"Yeah, I guess. There's an old table cloth in the cupboard down there." He nodded to the cupboard beside the sink. I open it, pots and dirt still in my hand. There were cloths and rags in there a long with the table cloth he was talking about . I pull it with my free hand, it was old and stained. I do my best to place it on the table, it was terribly crooked but we didn't care. We both dropped the planting stuff on the table as soon as we could.

"Ok, so how do we do this?" Reid asks as we look thru the papers we collected at the plant store.

"Uh, what makes you think I know?" I laugh slightly.

"I don't know, you're the girl."

"Not all girls plant things."

"Well, I don't know what to do." He says. I snatch the paper from his hands.

"Usually reading the instructions help." I tease. He had the paper in his hand but we wasn't reading it. Just looking at it.

"It's says Venus flytraps are delicate and easy to take care of but important instructions must be followed..."

"Oh yeah, very delicately they eat flies and most likely bite fingers." I ignore his remark and continue to read the page in my head.

"Ok. Uh, pass me that pot and the dirt." Reid does what I ask, without question. I fill a small pot half with dirt.

"You bought the right soil, right?" He asks, doubting my nonexistent planting skills.

"Uhm, you bought it and yes I gave you the right one."

"Ok, I'm not to sure how to do this, so if this thing doesn't grow blame anyone else but me." I continue to read the paper and look at the pot. I add seeds, more dirt and water. I'm not to sure if I did it right but oh well. I put the full pot aside and look up at Reid.

"Now what?" He asks.

"Light."

"Right."

"Got a room that the sun can get thru?" I ask.

"Yeah." He nods for me to follow him.

I take the plant and follow him thru the living room and down a hall way. We pass a couple closed doors and at the end of the hall there was a stair case that lead upstairs. We walk up and it kind of turns. We pass an opening from where I can see the kitchen. Down an other short hall with three closed doors, we open the last one on the left. I was a small room with not much inside. Just a book shelf loaded with books, a desk to work at and other shelves containing music disks and movies. The room was small but it looked huge. The walls were covered with giant windows. Almost the hole room was noting but windows. It was on the corner of the house so two halls had windows and the other two were just walls decorated by paintings. Reid clears some papers off the desk and put down the pot. It would definitely get lots of sun in here. Now that I got the chance to, I look outside and see that is reasonably nice out. The sun had came back and I could feel the warmth thru the class.

"What was this room used for?" I ask. I knew it wasn't a bedroom, no bed.

"Uh just a work room, I guess." He explains looking around, "I read in hear a lot too." As he says this, I smile.

"You like reading?" I ask realising we might actually have something in common.

"Well, uh yeah." He says awkwardly. He points to the book shelf, "Those are all mine." Omg no way.

"Lucky. I have so many books laying all over my room, I choke could a cow. Like ten cows. Fat ones." I say this with a straight face but Reid starts laughing.

"I could imagine. You have a different book like every week." He says. I laugh.

"Not every week."

"Almost."

"Whatever."

We argue a little more than decide to go back downstairs. I run down the turning staircase like a child and almost fall on my face. Reid caught me like twice.

"Do you know how to walk?" He jokes, smirking.

I glare at him and skip down the rest of the stairs just to piss him off. We sit down in the living room and stare at the walls.

"So..." He starts, trying to break the silence. "You don't have to stay here if you don't want to, Corah. I'm a big boy I can handle being alone." He looks down. I smile. He was pretty cute when he was sad.

"Mm, no I don't think you can." He looks up at my response. He was looking sad but he saw the humor in my eyes. I wink at him and he smiles immediately. I rather joke around than see him sad.

"So how 'bout you give me a tour of the house?" I ask, changing the subject of me leaving. We stand up and I take his arm. "Show me the way." I continue. We laugh as we walk towards the hall way. He points to a closed door.

"Bathroom."

An other closed door.

"My dads room."

We walk further and just before the stairs he tries to rush by a door, but our arms were still locked together and I pull him back.

"What's in there?" I point to the door. He looks at the door and thinks for a while.

"Uh, storage room." And he walks away quickly. Ok, then...

I don't question and just walk up behind him. He was walking slow so I caught up quick. His eyes were on the ground and the sadness came back. It was cute, like I said, but I didn't like the tension it brought. I was determined to get rid of it. I walk up to him and by now we've reached the top of the stairs. I put my arm around his shoulders and he looks at me. Staring into his eyes, I see, that behind that happy-go-lucky, there was a broken boy. I was going to find out why but, not right now. I smile a sad smile an he tries to smile back. We were facing the hallway that led to the window room, he turns us around and there was an other hallway beside the stairs. Only two doors down this way. The first one was closed.

"That's, uh..." He says uneasy. "That's my brothers room." He forces out. Whoa he had a brother? Out of all the questions in my head, I choose to ask the stupidest one.

"What's his name?"

Reid laughs, noticing the stupidity in my question. But not only does he answer it but he answers the others as well.

"Damien. He's finishing his last year of collage." He takes a deep breath. "Then he's moving to San Diego."

Whoa. San Diego? That was still in California but pretty far from here. He's moving from Bakersfield to San Diego?

"Why is he leaving Bakersfield?" I ask.

"Well he traveled there once and met a girl. Also, he says he's tired of this City."

"Oh."

Oh, how I wish I could change Cities whenever I was tired of it. Not wanting to talk about this anymore, I walk down the hall. I point to the last door.

"Computer room." Reid explains, "My dad usually does his work in there."

As I walk by him. I grab his arm and pull him down the other hallway. I point to the first door.

"Bathroom."

I walk up to the second door, knowing this was the last one in the house. The other door down this hall was the window room.

"That," Reid smirks, "is my room." He tells me.

I held in my curiousness this hole time, I felt I had the right to look in this room. I go for the doorknob but Reid stops me. I move his hand, smirk at him, then open the door. He moves out of my way and I step inside. Unlike the window room, it was a big room. There was a big bed in the left corner with black covers. To the left there more bookshelves, a desk, music and music players. I expected to find a flat screen with some kind of video game console but I didn't.

"No x-box?" I joke. He shifts awkwardly.

"Uh no. I don't play video games."

I smirk at him. "Hm, I'm impressed, Reid." He laughs. Lots of books and no video games, this boy was something special.

Just like the rest of the house, i was surprised to find it pretty clean in here. Above the bed there was big window with long curtains on each side. One of them moved and I realised that the window was open.

"Its cold in here." He says.

"Your window's open."

"Oh." He laughs.

I walk over to one of the shelves while he closes the window. I snoop thru his books and music. He had quite the impressive collection. The Script, Three Days Grace, Green Day...

"You got some pretty good music here." I say, shuffling thru.

"Oh, haha. Thanks." Reid says coming up and standing next me. "You listen to this stuff?" He asks. Wow, did he know me?

"Of course, I love The Script." I pull out one of there albums. He takes it from my hand and puts it in an old CD player. I hold back a laugh. The song, 'The Man Who Can't Be Moved' starts playing, I smile. Reid takes my hand and spins me in a circle trying to make me dance. We both laugh at our fail dancing. I keep searching through his music and still we try to dance. I put in a Green Day CD and play the song 'Oh Love'. I take Reid's hand and shoulder and he takes my waste. We dance slowly to probably the most least romantic slow song, thank god. I trip over my own foot and almost fall but he catches me.

"Haha, thanks." I laugh.

"No problem." He says looking into my eyes.

He leans in closer to me. I look away not wanting to see his glowing eyes in front of me. Like the last time, he takes my chin gently and turns me back to face him. Our faces were nearly centimeters apart. I wanted to look away but I didn't want to leave his eyes.

You don't even know him and you're about to let him kiss you?

No. I wasn't. And I did know him. I turn my head and take a couple steps away from Reid. I turn around to see him staring at the ground. This guy was so dramatic I couldn't keep it in. The number of sad moments he had in a day were uncountable. The number of things he was sad about that I didn't know, was even greater. I slap his shoulder playfully. He pulls his phone out of his pocket, and puts it back seconds latter.

"It's 5:00." He says as we walk out of his room. "You hungry?"

"A bit."

"Good." Reid says as we enter the kitchen, he takes the car keys of the counter. "Grab your stuff."

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"To eat."

No dah.

"Where?"

"Somewhere." He smirks. I glare at him.

"Well, I'm picky so you have to tell me." I argue, and win.

"Fine." I smirk, he continues "It's an old restaurant my family used to own."

We walk out the door and into the car.

"Was?" I ask, confused. "Is it not still?"

"Well my parents used to own it but my dad passed it down to my uncle." Reid explains while we pull out of the drive way.

"Bad business?"

"No actually he's quite the business guy but the restaurant wasn't his thing. More my moms. And when she left he didn't want to do it on his own." Reid keeps his eyes on the road and avoids looking my way, I however was staring right at him. "I didn't like seeing it go so I help out my uncle sometimes or just pay a visit. Him and his wife run it pretty well."

"Well I'm excited to actually meet some of your family. I've been to your house twice now and have only heard of your dad." I laugh and so does he.

"Yeah, and since you only decide to be there when he's not, doesn't exactly help." We laugh again. Now I don't know how but I always seem to find myself laughing with this guy.

I look out my window and watch as we pass by everything. After about 20 minutes, we're there. It wasn't a very big building but it wasn't small either. It looked reasonably nice from the outside. Big windows, lots of lights. Reid stops the engine and we get out of the car. Walking over to the door, he casually takes my hand. I swing our arms back an forth like a child with their parents. I never did that as a kid. May as well do it now. He laughs at my behavior and we enter the restaurant. Like I said, lights. There were lots but still it didn't seem bright. It was cozy and welcoming. It wasn't a big fancy dinner place. More like somewhere you go to lunch with a friend. Or dinner with your science partner. God I'm weird.

"Oh, hey there, Reid!" Someone calls from behind the counter, "Who you got there?" The small, middle aged lady asks.

"Hey Louise," He says as we walk over to her. "This is Corah." He smiles at me, than looks to be thinking, "She's a..." He pauses, thinks, "a friend."

Louise smiles at us. I noticed that I had let go of his hand when he had walked in. Louise would probably ask why friends were holding hands. Friends? I haven't really thought of Reid as friend, just a cute and slightly annoying science partner. whatever. We go and sit somewhere a little away from everyone. We order our food and I meet Reid's uncle, Ben. He was a nice man. I think he got the wrong impression of what me and Reid were to each other but besides that, all went well. The food arrived in impressive timing and was very good. I didn't exactly have much to compare it too considering I rarely ever go out and have been to very few restaurants. Maybe like two that my dad had brought me too when I was Katie's age.

When we leave the restaurant it's already dark outside. Right before we get in the car, my cell rings. I step away to answer it.

"Hi, mom." I say waiting for her to yell at me.

"Corah, where are you?" She didn't sound worried, more like tired of never knowing where I was.

"I left you a note-" She cuts me off.

"I got it. It's like 7:00. Are you coming home?"

"Well, I don't know not right now-" She does it again.

"Corah why aren't you ever home now?" She didn't sound sad, more like she was tired of me.

"Because, mother, I have a life too."

"Do you now? Well, that's a shame because your life is at home. Not with some boy you've just met."

"Don't tell me what my life is. And I didn't just meet him it's been like two weeks since he's been here." My mom sighs in annoyance of my arguing but right now I was the one annoyed with her. Before she could say anything I continue.

"You can leave when you please but I can't?"

"Corah, we already talked about this-"

"No, you can't just keep me home so that you can leave. I'm actually doing something with my life now and you want it over. You pretend to be happy that I have friends but I know you're not."

"Corah-"

"I'm staying with Reid."

I hang up. Now that it was quiet I realized that I had been talking very loud. When I go back to the car that was only feet away, Reid notices my change in mood.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, fine."

"Liar." He sad smiles.

"That was my mom." I say showing my phone.

"You gotta go?" He looks sad.

"Yes but I'm not." He smiles when I say this.

"I would tell you to listen to your parents but that just ruins my weekend." He laughs. I laugh as well but think about that at the same time. Oh so me leaving would ruin his weekend? Either he's not human or I'm not because I do not understand him. Getting in the car, he starts and drive off in a different direction than the one we came in.

"Where are we going?" I ask hoping not get some smart ass reply. But of course, he does.

"That way." He nods in the direction we were now driving in. I sigh and he goes on.

"This time, I'm not telling." He smirks at me. But not in a way that makes me want to hit him. More in a way that makes me want to kiss him. Wait what? No I don't like that feeling so really I did still want to hit him.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N

Thanks so much for the reads and votes. Not the longest chapter but wanted to update. And keep voting love you all. Thank you guys so much.

The next chapter should be longer hopefully. Unedited. Sorry. Haha. Shouldn't be to bad but yeah no promises.

Keep reading and voting and I love all your comments! Thank you it means so much!

Ily guys so much.

Thank you beautiful pumpkinz!

Keep it cool kidz XP

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

172K 6.2K 56
Kaleb Knightly, Briarwood High School's own bad boy. But he's not your typical 'bad boy.' He makes straight A's, he doesn't sleep around, and he care...
2.6M 108K 45
Adelaide Beck dared Tristan Presley to become her best friend in the fifth grade... and he said okay. After a summer of doing nearly everything toge...
112K 2.8K 41
Do you ever wonder what life would be like if it were a movie? Or some sappy romance novel that you wish your life could be like but it's not? Someti...
42.3K 1.4K 34
In an all boys boarding school surrounded by football players 18 year olds Alex, Sam, Jason and Parker have two years left in school. Two years, to f...