The Older Potter // HP Older...

By Ilvermornist

Samantha Potter lived a normal life. She went to Hogwarts, played Quidditch, and tried to pass History of Mag... More

Part 1
TRAILER
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
99
100
101
102
103
104
105
106
107
108
109
110
111
112
113
114
115
116
117
118
119
120
121

72

5.3K 255 68
By Ilvermornist

C H A P T E R 72

"Harry?" Sirius spoke at the mention of his godson. "What does he have to do with this?"

Dumbledore stood up, still holding the locket tightly in his hand. "If my theory is correct, then Harry should have a few answers I require."

"Should we go by Floo then? Or Apparation?" Remus asked, putting his trust in the Headmaster.

"I think Apparation would be best."

"I'll stay with Kreacher," Samantha spoke with a warm smile.

Kreacher looked up at her in shock. He hadn't spoken anything since Dumbledore came in and looked to be lost in his own thoughts.

Sirius raised an eyebrow at her but then shrugged it away. "Alright then, let's go!" He seemed to forget the effects of the locket and was happy to see his godson. "Will he stay here for the rest of summer then?"

"I think that would be best after the conversation we're about to have," Dumbledore answered.

"Plus he wants to come with me and the Weasleys to the World Cup later this summer," Samantha added.

Sirius gave her one last 'are you ok' look. Samantha smiled in return while the three of them quickly left the room.

A few moments of silence passed before Samantha said, "Want to go downstairs? I can make a pot of tea?"

Kreacher nodded his head.

She followed him out of Regulus' room and shut the door. Once they reached the kitchen, Samantha went for the pot and noticed Kreacher standing awkwardly by the table. "You can sit, you know."

He eyed the chair warily.

"I won't tell Sirius," she added cheekily.

A small noise that resembled a laugh escaped Kreacher's lips before climbing up the stool and sitting down. Samantha poured the water in the pot and placed t on the burner. She turned towards the table and sat down next to Kreacher.

"You seem to be pretty shaken up," Samantha spoke softly. "Is the locket really that horrible?"

"It is a bad memory."

"Right, well thank you for driving...whatever that was...away," Samantha said and then stood up to go to the cabinet to get the tea bags.

"You're welcome," Kreacher muttered and looked at Samantha oddly.

"What kind? Green, chamomile, black?" she asked, not noticing how Kreacher was questioning his odd behavior. "What?" she questioned, grabbing all three and raised an eyebrow.

"Why is Master Samantha treating Kreacher like this?"

Samantha furrowed her eyebrows. "Like what? An equal? With respect?"

"Kreacher is been treating Master Samantha horribly. Kreacher has not been nice."

"It's because you've been brainwashed by your old Master," Samantha explained as she gestured to Walburga's poster. "It's ok, though. I understand."

"Kreacher loves Mistress Walburga," he muttered as the pot started to boil.

Samantha grabbed the kettle and two mugs from the cabinet. She placed it down next to the types of tea and started to pour the water.

"I'm sure. But she's gone now, and you have Sirius and I," Samantha said and grabbed a green tea bag.

"Kreacher has not seen Master Sirius in years," he said and then grabbed a black tea bag. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, Kreacher and I haven't seen Sirius in years as well."

"Did you miss him?"

Samantha sighed. "Very much."

"It's been lonely here," Kreacher said as he took a sip of tea and seemed to calm down more.

"Well not anymore," Samantha smiled. "You have me, Sirius, Remus, Dumbledore, and now you have Harry."

"Us house elves know all about Harry Potter and how he defeated He-Who-Must-Not-Be-named."

Samantha grinned. He was sounding just like Dobby. "Yeah, crazy how it happened. What a mother's love could do," Samantha frowned as she stared into her cup of tea.

"Kreacher is sorry about your loss," he said softly and then looked back down at his cup of tea.

Samantha stared over him oddly. Did Kreacher just say that? She was confused by his sudden change of feelings. "Thank you, I appreciate that."

Kreacher nodded in response.

"Why the sudden change of feelings?" Samantha asked.

"Kreacher has done some thought. After what happened with Master Regulus' locket and you being so kind, Kreacher wonders if he should change his views," he explained.

She nodded slowly.

Suddenly, the door opened and in walked a happy Sirius holding a large trunk, a confused Harry holding Hedwig's cage, a content looking Remus holding Harry's Firebolt, and a passive Dumbledore still tightly holding onto the locket.

Harry looked around the house in awe and then his nose crinkled upon seeing the dust and molded wallpaper. He then spotted Samantha and a huge smile broke on his face.

"Harry," Samantha spoke happily. She put down her mug and stood up to hug her brother.

Once he pulled away, Samantha stared at his hair in disgust. "Cut this," she said and then ruffled it.

Harry leaned back and then tried to flatten it back down. His hair had grown a few inches and was almost at his shirt collar. "No, I like it."

Samantha shook her head and then turned towards Kreacher who was awkwardly sipping his tea and avoiding eye contact. "Harry, this is Sirius' house elf, Kreacher," she greeted. "Kreacher, this is Harry."

Harry smiled politely and remembered how house elves can be around wizards from his time with Dobby, so he chose his words carefully. "Hello, Kreacher."

Sirius, Remus, and Dumbledore walked into the room and Sirius gave Kreacher an odd expression. He would have never expected his house elf to be sitting and having a cup of tea like he just read this morning's issue of the Daily Prophet.

"Kreacher and I were enjoying a cup of tea," Samantha spoke. "Would any of you like some?"

"Uhm, no thanks," Sirius said warily and then set down Harry's trunk by the counter.

Samantha gave him a look and narrowed her eyes at him, warning him to be nice.

"No thank you, Samantha," Dumbledore said kindly while Remus went to grab a mug.

"So welcome to my lovely home, Harry. I hope the horrible scent is to your liking," Sirius said dryly and leaned against the counter, arms crossed.

Dumbledore chuckled. "I can fix any problems you have here, Sirius."

"Thank you, Albus."

"So shall we take this conversation into the drawing room?" Remus prompted once he placed his green tea bag into his mug.

Dumbledore nodded and Sirius pushed off the counter to lead the way. Dumbledore then nodded at Kreacher to follow. "I would like you to come too, Kreacher."

Kreacher widened his eyes at the Headmaster and then set down his mug. He hopped off the stool and followed Sirius out. Sirius led them up one flight of stairs to the drawing room.

They all sat down and Dumbledore held out the locket for Harry to take. "I want you to inspect this, Harry."

Harry raised an eyebrow and then took the locket. His expression instantly changed into shock and interest. A familiar feeling came over him as he inspected it. His mind went to different scenarios where he felt that feeling and they all led to when he was near Tom Riddle's Diary. Then he saw the large, yellow eyes and that's when it came together. It looked to be that the snake on the front side was a basilisk.

"Anything, Harry?" Sirius spoke, watching him intently, not sure what to make of Harry's furrowed eyebrows and narrowed green eyes.

Harry didn't answer for a moment and then took a breath. "I have this odd feeling....it's something I've felt before."

"From where?" Samantha asked.

"The Diary. Voldemort's diary."

That seemed to answer a question for Dumbledore because he was nodding slowly and scratching his chin in interest. "His diary," he reiterated. "Interesting."

"What diary?" Remus asked.

Harry then told them about Voldemort's diary, the memory he was sucked into, and how he destroyed it with the basilisk fang.

Once he mentioned basilisk fang, Samantha spoke up, "And that's the snake on the locket. I'd recognize those yellow eyes anywhere," she said, shuddering at the horrible memory when she was in the library.

Dumbledore then raised an eyebrow in realization and something seemed to click within the brilliant man. He replayed Harry's story again and something about the destruction of Basilisk venom seemed to stick out. He remembered from somewhere that the only antidote was Phoenix tears and those were beyond rare since the bird itself was rare.

"So do you think these two items are connected in some way?" Remus asked, breaking everyone's momentary lapse of silence. "Since Harry has the same feeling?"

"It's possible," Dumbledore answered. "I guess there is only one way to find out."

Harry caught on to what Dumbledore was referring to. "But, Sir, we don't have any Basilisk fangs."

Dumbledore grinned a grin that mirrored Fred and George's troublemaking grin. "Correct, Harry. But we do have something else. Something that destroyed the basilisk itself."

"The Sword of Gryffindor," Harry answered.

The Headmaster nodded. "Exactly. Regarding Remus' question, I feel that if these two items are connected in some way, then a way to find out would be to see if they can be destroyed in the same way. You destroyed the diary with a basilisk fang, then you stabbed the basilisk with the Sword of Gryffindor. Both have venom in common."

"Is it still in your office?" Samantha asked.

Dumbledore chuckled. "Where else would it be, Samantha?"

She rolled her eyes at him while everyone else laughed. Dumbledore could display such sass at times. He then stood up. "I'll quickly Apparate and go get it," And with that, there was a loud crack, and he was gone.

"I thought one couldn't Apparate in or out of Hogwarts," Sirius mused.

"You're going to question Dumbledore? The Headmaster?" Samantha spoke in amusement. "I'm sure he can when he wants."

Sirius opened his mouth to respond but was cut off by a loud crack and Dumbledore returning, holding the Sword of Gryffindor.

Sirius' eyes travelled to the sword and stared at it in awe. Its regality and gemstones made it stand out. Something about it caught everyone's attention and no one wanted to tear their gaze away.

Dumbledore then turned to Kreacher. "Kreacher, before I ask you about the history of this locket, I want to ask if you would like to destroy it?"

Kreacher, who was as well staring at the sword, looked up at Dumbledore questioningly.

Sirius raised his eyebrows in shock. Kreacher?

Samantha and Remus both smiled at him. From his responses about the locket, it seemed it had a dark history and maybe destroying it would be good for him. Harry as well was sporting a small smile.

"Kreacher?" Kreacher spoke, putting a hand on his chest. "Mr. Dumbledore, Sir, Kreacher doesn't know--"

Dumbledore broke in. "You have history with it, Kreacher. A dark history, I assume, by your actions. It would make the most sense for you to use the sword and destroy it."

Kreacher glanced between the locket and the sword numerous times and was debating if he should do it. That was Master Regulus'....but it had caused so much harm to everyone.

"Kreacher...Kreacher will do it," he muttered after realizing that this had to end once and for all.

Dumbledore smiled and handed Kreacher the sword. Kreacher slowly took the sword with both hands and marveled at it for a few moments. He traced the gemstones and then positioned it in his hands where it was facing the locket.

"It has to be opened, unfortunately," Dumbledore said. "Fair warning," Even though Dumbledore didn't see it the first time, he had a hunch that it was something dark magic related due to what Harry told him about the diary. Everyone looked at Samantha since she was the one who opened it the first time.

She looked around at everyone and shrugged. "I don't really know how I opened it the first time. I just looked at the yellow eyes and it sprung open," she explained and then took the locket from Dumbledore. "But I'll try again."

Samantha repeated her previous actions with the locket and then stared into the big, round yellow eyes.

Nothing happened.

She raised an eyebrow in confusion. Samantha tried again and like before, nothing happened. "Odd," she muttered.

Samantha then looked over at Harry. Maybe that was it. Harry seemed to have a stronger connection with it so maybe it in some strange way noticed his presence. "Here, Harry," she said. "You try."

Harry looked at her oddly and then took it. "Ok," he said and then moved it between his fingers. Then he looked at the snake, he got the same feeling when he saw the snake that was the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets.

That feeling took over and he found himself speaking Parseltongue. "Open," he hissed.

Samantha understood what he said but she then wondered why she didn't get the instinct to speak Parseltongue. If she understood it, shouldn't she also be able to speak it? That thought was cut off when the locket started to shake.

Harry instinctly dropped it and it tumbled to the carpet and shot open.

The familiar smoke spewed out of it and formed back into a hazy mouth.

Kreacher stared up at the smoke and took a few breaths.

Dumbledore looked at the smoke in thought and then glanced at Kreacher who was composing himself.

Kreacher then gripped the base of the sword and shot into the smoke like he had before. He raised the sword and slammed it down onto the locket.

The smoke halted in place and then evaporated in thin air. A bright light erupted from the locket as well as a loud crash.

Sirius shielded himself and Samantha in case anything was to come their way.

Kreacher backed up and stared at the scene before him. The smoke was gone and once the light went away, all that was left was a blackened, destroyed locket.

Harry noted that the light looked and felt the exact same when the diary was destroyed. He also noted the feeling of relief and almost exhaustion when the locket stabbed.

The sensation in the room immediately lightened and it felt light a weight was lifted from everyone's shoulders.

Samantha looked over Kreacher. "Are you ok?"

Kreacher nodded slowly, a grim smile appearing on his face. Dumbledore took the sword from Kreacher and set it nicely on the table. He then gestured Kreacher to sit down on the nearby chair.

"Thank you, Kreacher," Dumbledore said with a warm smile. "I would now like to ask you about the history of the locket."

Kreacher nodded and took a breath. It seems that the destruction of the locket took away a layer of negativity and didn't feel like flinching or shying away from the story. Of course he still felt horrible about what happened to Regulus but this time felt different.

• • • • •

Regulus had just told Kreacher that the Dark Lord required his assistance for a special task as soon as possible.

He Disapparated and appeared at Malfoy Manor where Voldemort was staying at.

"Sir," Kreacher spoke and bowed to where his nose was touching the floor. "Kreacher is being told to come to you."

"Yes," he hissed. It was the same voice from the locket. "Come with me," Kreacher took Voldemort's robes and soon found himself at the edge of a cliff. He saw the harsh waves of the ocean below and looked up at Voldemort in horror. What was going on?

Voldemort did not speak to him and merely walked inside a nearby cave while Kreacher struggled to keep up. They were met with large rock that took up the entire end of the cave.

Voldemort slit his palm with a small knife and rubbed his blood on the rock. It crumbled away to reveal a large lake. The water was pitch black and Voldemort walked to the edge of it. All of a sudden, a small boat appeared and the two piled in and sailed to a small island made of crystalized rock.

They walked to the top of it and Kreacher had to stand on one of the rocks to see what was inside the basin. It was filled with dark, murky water that resembled the lake around them.

"Drink it," Voldemort ordered. "All of it."

Kreacher did as he was told and took the small cup on the side of the basin. As soon as the water touched his lips, a sharp pain took over his body. His hands shook in pain and felt like he was being stabbed all over his body. However, Kreacher kept drinking despite the torture and finished until there was nothing left in it.

Water. He needed water.

Kreacher dropped to his knees and ignored Voldemort placing a shiny, golden locket at the bottom of the basin and refilling it with more potion.

"My horcrux will be safe here," he muttered with a cruel smile. Voldemort then boarded the small boat and left Kreacher.

Kreacher stuck a hand out to get a cup full of water and then was met with dozens of zombie-like creatures piling out of the water. Kreacher backed up into the basin and saw Voldemort leaving the cave. He glanced around frantically for an escape but was met with nothing.

He then disapparated back to Grimmauld Place and was met with a confused Regulus.

"What happened, Kreacher?" Regulus asked upon seeing the frantic state of his house elf.

"Kreacher was just doing what he was told by the Dark Lord," he spoke in jagged breaths.

"Tell me everything that happened," Regulus ordered.

Kreacher did just as asked and told him every detail.

"Horcrux," Regulus muttered and spent the next few days in their house study.

Then one day, Kreacher was taken back to the cave and found himself in front of the basin again. He kept pleading with Regulus that they should leave but his master decided against it. Regulus had found out what Voldemort hid in the basin and plotted to destroy it.

Regulus started drinking the potion and ignored Kreacher's calls. The torture took over and Regulus entrusted Kreacher with the locket. He then placed a similar locket in the basin and it was refilled with potion.

The zombie-like creatures emerged when Regulus went to get water and ordered Kreacher to take the locket and leave him there.

It pained him but Kreacher could not disobey an order. He took one last look at his master and Disapparated away, taking the horcrux with him.

• • • • •

Sirius was rendered speechless. It looked as though he had been petrified. He then placed his head in his hands and took deep breaths.

Samantha could not believe that that was how his brother died. She placed an arm around Sirius and rested her head on his back, comfortingly.

Something Kreacher said lit a light bulb in Dumbledore's mind but looked upon Sirius with sadness. To learn about this horrible death, even he couldn't put it into words.

He stood up and Sirius peaked through his fingers. "I'll go make another pot of tea."

Kreacher looked at Sirius in confusion and didn't know what his actions meant. He didn't know if Sirius was going to yell at him for leaving Regulus or what.

Samantha continued to hug Sirius until he slowly lifted his head. Dumbledore brought in a tray of mugs and the pot of tea.

Sirius took a mug and put in a chamomile tea bag. He sat back on the couch and stared into the water.

"Horcrux?" Samantha spoke to Dumbledore once he sat down.

Dumbledore nodded slowly.

Samantha furrowed her eyebrows in thought and wondered where she had heard that word before. She knew it sounded familiar when Kreacher mentioned it but Samantha couldn't place exactly where she had heard it. She went through different memories and wondered where she could possibly see it or hear it.

They continued to sit in silence and it finally hit her. She had remembered where she read it. It was that day when her and Harry snuck into the library to research Nicolas Flamel.

She remembered it being where someone split their soul into pieces to save themselves if their original body was to ever get attacked or wounded.

Samantha filled everyone in on her story and Dumbledore confirmed that that was what a horcrux was. As soon as he heard the word, everything clicked.

"So the locket was a horcrux?" Remus asked.

"As well as the diary?" Harry added.

Dumbledore nodded. "Yes. They both seemed to have parts of Voldemort's soul."

"Do you think he created more?" Remus asked.

"I cannot answer that," Dumbledore asked. "The only one who can is Voldemort."

• • • • •

OMG THE DISCOVERY OF HORCRUXES IS UPON US!

How will this affect things? ;)

And poor Sirius! Finding out about Regulus' death.

Until the next update! Getting into some more interesting stuff!

<3 Sam

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

109K 2K 108
________________________________________ *CURRENTLY RE-WRITING* finished by- 25/05/24 (hopefully) current re-write word count- 104,106 It's always...
20.3K 874 37
Harry Potter starts off his Fourth Year going to the Quidditch World Cup with the Weasleys, a happy reprieve from the torture that is the Dursleys. H...
44.6K 1.4K 27
'𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐒𝐥𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐧, 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐆𝐫𝐲𝐟𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐫.' After the sorting hat had sorted Anna Rowly into Gryffindor, breaking th...
25.4K 625 18
What happens when you along with your best friend jump into the parallel universe of your favorite fictional place and enjoy your voyage with them an...