It Was Always Her (Preath)

Galing kay soccerstories23

Tobin and Alex break up after two years strong, and everything changes for the soccer players. Tobin is able... Higit pa

Intro
Chapter 1 - The Meeting
Chapter 2 - The Kiss
Chapter 3 - Getting Caught
Chapter 4 - Unspoken Words
Chapter 5 - The Morning After
Chapter 6 - The Hickey
Chapter 7 - In Trouble
Chapter 8 - Friends
Chapter 9 - Trust
Chapter 10 - In Control
Chapter 11 - Consequences
Chapter 12 - Forgiveness
Chapter 13 - Love and War
Chapter 14 - The Aftermath
Chapter 15 - Gameday
Chapter 16 - Déjà vu
Chapter 17 - I Love You
Chapter 18 - Fair Play
Chapter 19 - Uncertainties
Chapter 20 - Hello Again
Chapter 21 - Welcome Home
Chapter 22 - Left Out
Chapter 23 - 2am
Chapter 24 - Good Morning
Chapter 25 - Like We Used To
Chapter 26 - What Friends Are For
Chapter 27 - She's My Happiness
Update
Chapter 29 - Long Distance
Chapter 30 - PDA
Chapter 31 - Still Not Okay
Chapter 32 - Happy Never After

Chapter 28 - Closure

1.2K 34 4
Galing kay soccerstories23

Time jump: It's now early April, and the girls will be leaving national camp and go back to their NWSL teams. The US won the SheBelieves Cup and qualified for the Olympics, all without Christen Press, who's still in recovery.

**

Christen's POV

"You sure you got everything?" Tobin asked again, as she was about to take my bag out of the hotel room. I smiled at her, slowly nodding my head, and she sighed knowing she had asked maybe one too many times already.

"We're all set." I answered, and walked over to where she was now standing by the door. I pulled her close to me by her waist, causing her to drop the bag she was holding to the floor.
She smiled as her hands found their way around my neck, and she carefully removed some hair from the side of my face.

"God, I'm gonna miss you." She breathed out, looking down between us now. I quickly lifted her chin up with my hand, forcing her to look back up at me. "It's not that long." I assured her, trying to make it sound convincing, but she saw right through me. There's a couple friendlies coming up shortly, and then our teams will play each other in June. God, who am I kidding. It's way too long.

I'm traveling back to Chicago for the NWSL, while Tobin's going to Portland. I haven't played a game since the accident, but my coaches have faith that I'll play in the opening game for Chicago Red Stars. If there's any risk whatsoever, Jill won't risk it, but there's still hope and I'm trying to stay positive.

I've been doing much better lately, and there's really only minor details holding me back at this point. They're afraid letting me out there now and me getting more permanently damaged is a risk, and then the Olympics will be out of the question. Then again, they said I likely wouldn't play soccer ever again, and now the Olympics is something to worry about so I'll say that's pretty good news. I've been able to train with the best, being with Tobin and keeping the motivation going even though I haven't been playing games.

"Everyone's to meet in the lobby, I think the earliest flights leaves in a couple hours." Tobin spoke up again, and I noticed she was looking at her phone. Kelley had texted us, who had heard the news from Hope, so I'm not sure how official it was, but nevertheless I wanted to say goodbye to everyone.

"Okay, let's get these down there then." I pointed to our bags and picked up my own. Tobin looked slightly worried about me carrying it myself, she had been protective of me doing much other then recovering these past weeks, but I showed her I had control. If I wanna play in the Olympics, I sure as heck need to be able to carry my own freaking bag.

We walked downstairs and the lobby was packed with national team players and staff, bags everywhere at this point. The slightly chaotic feeling right before we leave anywhere might be one of my favorite moments, and I'll miss it. We travel a lot, it's definitely something we're used to, but somehow it always ends up a little hectic towards the ending.

"Press, I'm gonna miss you. Good luck this season." Kelley met us as soon as we entered from the elevator, and gave me a tight hug. I gladly accepted it, and dropped my bag so I could hug her tighter. As much as I was looking forward to go back to Chicago, I knew I was gonna miss these people like crazy.

"There you are, I got our tickets." Julie jumped up next to me, eager and in control as always. She handed me the ticket before she started searching the room for someone else, probably Alyssa who's coming with us to Chicago this season. She lit up when she spotter her and simply moved away with a smile.

"I'm glad you're staying with JJ, I'm pretty confident that she'll be in control." Tobin leaned closer to me and spoke, and I couldn't agree more. I smiled to her, just once again thinking about how much I'll miss her.

I was about to answer her, when the elevator door popped open behind us and startled us both. We laughed lightly at how easily scared we were, but the laughter quickly died out when the person inside entered the room.

Alex looked at us with almost relieved eyes, like she's internally thrilled about the fact that in a couple hours she'll be done with us for a while. Words cannot express how glad I am over the fact that Alex transferred to Orlando right now, I mean if she and Tobin we're going back together to Portland I wouldn't be okay. However, Orlando and Portland are each other's first opponents, so I just hope Portland crushes them, no offense.

"Good luck this season, guys." Alex spoke carefully as she passed us, and forced a smile. I gave her one back, as forced as they get. The awkwardness between the three of us has escalated tremendously, but at least at the end of the day we're not hating each other as much anymore. I'm going to be okay, and Tobin and I are okay. She has showed her true colors and I think it's honestly shocked everyone, but we're adults and professionals so we have to keep playing together if we wanna get that back-to-back gold in Rio.

"You too." Tobin mumbled out, before quickly turning back to me with a torn expression.
"I can't wait to beat the living shit out of Orlando and watch her lead her team to failure." Tobin hissed out, clearly still holding a grudge. You can't blame her.
"Just be careful, okay? Don't sink to her level." I said back, actually worrying that Tobin might physically hurt Alex now that they're opponents. I don't think she would actually do it, but just the fact that she wants to.

Tobin sighed, then then smiled comforting towards me. A smile that assured me I had nothing to worry about.
"I would never. I'll beat her fair and square, Captain vs Captain." Tobin smiled, knowing she would have the honor of being the Captain in Sinc's absence.
"Captain Heath, I like that." I smiled, knowing it was probably the future of this national team as well. Tobin is so experienced and good, she'll thrive under the responsibility she's been given and become even better.
"Captain Press is not off the table either." She spoke now, and the sound of that made me both happy and sad at the same time. I was honored that the coaches had wanted me as the Captain, but if I wasn't ready for the first game, if I couldn't even play, then was I worthy of that title?

I just smiled as a response, and Tobin knew me well enough to understand. I know she doesn't agree, but she let it pass regardless.
My attention fell to the lonely and lost girl standing by the door now. Alex seemed to be waiting for Ashlyn, who was still saying goodbye to everyone, since her own goodbye list went by pretty quick.

"Look at her, I can't take this." I let the words slip out, as I dropped my bag and moved towards her. I heard Tobin's confused mumble behind me, but I didn't stop. I realized right there that I couldn't walk away form this camp still having this awkwardness and tension between Alex and I. I need to say something, anything to make it better so we can finally move on. I'm not saying that I forgive her, I think a part of me will always hold a grudge, but I need closure.

"Alex." I seemed to startle her like she had me earlier, but she quickly recovered and gave me a forced smile. She looked both terrified and confused, something I understand.
"I just need to say this because I can't spend the next few months being sad and angry towards you. I need to focus on my recovery and I can't do that unless we get some kind of closure between us. We've both done things, and I'm sure you're paying for your mistakes every day just as much as I do. I can only speak for myself, but I hope we can be professionals and move past this." The words fell out of me, and I wasn't even sure I knew myself what I was saying at this point. I meant it, I think, but it was still strange hearing me say it.

Alex seemed shocked and torn, but also relieved beyond anything.
"Christen, that's- yes, I'd very much like that too. And I'm sorry, again. I never meant for it to get this, dirty and messed up." Alex struggled with her words, but managed to get them out eventually. She seemed sincere and it made me relieved somehow. I wasn't as angry anymore, and it felt good.

"Even after everything I've done to you, you're still the bigger person. Tobin truly deserves someone like you." Alex continued, and even though I never liked her speaking the name of my girlfriend, I knew this time it came from a place of meaning well. I smiled and said a polite thank you, before taking off. I walked back to Tobin and even though she was severely curious, she seemed to be okay with whatever I just did.

She opened her arms the second I came close enough, and buried her head in my chest. I took in all of her, squeezing her as close to me as possible, though it was still too far away.
"I love you. We'll talk every day on the phone, okay?" She breathed out into my ear, and I nodded back. God, I was going to miss her.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

652K 15.2K 96
11 years. It's been 11 years since Astrid's seen her twin in person, but when the USWNT has an injury crisis Astrid is called up. What will happen wi...
189K 3.6K 48
This is a story that takes place during a training camp for Rio 2016 for the USWNT. Friendships, love stories and football will be there, as well as...
106K 2.3K 21
Are you willing to risk your happiness for the future of the one you love?
27.9K 516 9
Hello, my name is Alex Morgan and I never knew I liked girls until I met her.