Chapter 21 - Welcome Home

Christen's POV

This is it, we're going in. I noticed how I clutched to Tobin's hand with all my force, causing her to look somewhat in pain.
I quickly eased my grip, but she assured me with a look that it was okay.

I got the feeling from her that she too was a little nervous about this, and somehow that made it easier. We're in this together.

"Chris!" Julie was the first one to notice me, and started running off the field towards us when we entered through the tunnel.
"Hi, guys." I smiled, and instantly felt myself relax. These are my friends, I love these people. I shouldn't have to be nervous.
"I've missed you, Press." Kelley threw herself in my arms, and as an old habit I tried lifting her and spinning her around, but immediately felt my leg give in. It was like a sting in my ankle, and I clumsily dropped her to the ground.

I saw that Tobin noticed from the fear in her eyes and her sudden reaction, but I tried my best to ignore it and pretend like nothing happened. Kelley too clearly noticed, but she just gave me a smile and didn't make a big deal out of it.

I've been getting better lately, I really have. And I think we all forget that I actually was severely hurt and damaged, and that I'm still not nearly back where I need to be.

And speaking of damaged, of course I had almost for a second let myself forget. Forget about the brunette standing outside it all, as far away from me as possible at this point. Forget that Alex was here, that she'd been here with Tobin all camp. Tobin hadn't mentioned her much, probably because it was weird. Also because they didn't speak and was ignoring each other, with good reason.

"Looking good, Press. How are you feeling?" Jill walked over to us, giving me a comforting pat on my back to distract me. I smiled to her, shrugging slightly as I spoke.
"Feels good to be back." I answered, knowing I absolutely meant that. I felt some kind of strange feeling, like it felt good to be able to show Alex that she wasn't getting rid of me that easily. I'm not going anywhere.

**

"You have the afternoon off to do whatever you want, girls. Take Christen out for dinner, do something fun together." Jill finished off training on a lighter note, clearly being in a good mood today. Everyone seems pleased about the decision, enjoying an evening out.

Practice had been strange for me. I was back in camp, but at the same time I wasn't really. Everyone had their own habits of what to do in our time off, and when we train together. I couldn't do anything if what I usually do, except the yoga parts. All my habits, the things that comes so natural to us all when we're here together, I can't so them anymore.

"Where you wanna go, Press?" Kelley put an arm around me, taking my mind out of my deep thoughts and back to the moment. We were all entering the locker rooms.
"I don't know, I'll go wherever you guys want." I said humble, not really wanting everyone to do anything out of the ordinary just because of me. I actually wanted nothing more then for thing to just be normal again.

"Are you okay?" Tobin stepped up beside me, looking somewhat concerned at me.
"I'm good." I said sincere, accepting the embrace she offered. I stretched my arms around her waist from the side, and she put her arms around me, taking over for Kelley. I felt her kiss the top of my head, and I realized how badly I missed this. How much I missed the girl in my arms.

"Smile!" Ashlyn suddenly held up her phone in front of us, and took a picture off guard. Tobin and I were both smiling already, but definitely not to or for the camera.
"Aw, that's adorable." Ali appeared behind Ashlyn, looking over her shoulder at the picture. Kelley now jogged over, and soon half the team wanted to see what was so 'cute'.

"You mind if I post this? Everyone will love that you're back in camp." Ashlyn continued, smiling up at us. I looked at Tobin, who seemed to think it was okay.
"As long as they don't get their hopes up about me being fully back, I don't mind." I said honestly, knowing the fans would in fact love to see me back here with the girls.
"And maybe don't add the 'Preath' hashtag either." Kelley joked, but got lots of confused faces in return. Moe, Mal and Lindsey seemed to be the only once there to get the joke.
"Preath, it's your ship name. Never mind." Kelley waved it away, rolling her eyes together with the youngsters that seemed to be the only ones updated on social media.

I honestly tend to avoid reading comments and non-soccer related things about us all in general. Especially in this period, seeing as there has been tons of theories to why I got hurt at the same time as Alex's suspension. I guess even the fans figured it was almost too random to be a coincidence.
Besides, Tobin and I obviously haven't gone public with anything yet, and I don't think we're planning on too soon. We haven't really talked about it, but with all the pressure that she had on her previous relationship, I'm sure it wasn't good for them. I know Tobin is afraid of that same thing happening again, only she of course assures me that it's nothing like it.

"Check your Instagram." Ashlyn said smiling, looking satisfied with her own post. I got out my phones and found the picture.

@ashlynharris24: Look who we found! Welcome home, Press. You've been greatly missed.

The caption made me smile, and the picture too captured a great moment. Tobin and I smiling at each other, but also Kelly next to me laughing so it doesn't seem too suspicious. We're all just having a good time back where we belong.

**

"Chris, are you ready? We're gonna be late." Tobin yelled from the bed, as I was getting ready in the bathroom. A lot of the girls had wanted to join dinner, thankfully not everyone. I was excited to dress up a little, seeing as it had actually been a while since I had even had the motivation to do anything but work out or be sad about the injury. I was done feeling sorry for myself now.

"What do you think?" I asked Tobin, as I stepped out through the bathroom door. Her face when she turned around were priceless.
"Wow." She breathed out, holding her arms out wide whilst obviously checking me out.
She walked towards me and once she reached her arms around my waist, she looked up to meet my eyes. She pulled me close.

"You look absolutely stunning, Chris." She spoke up, smiling genuine and honest. I let out a wide grin in return, and couldn't stop myself from connecting our lips ones again.

Tobin seemed slightly caught off guard, but gladly accepted the kiss. My arms found their way around her neck, as the kiss quickly got heated. I brushed my tongue on her lower lip, asking for further entrance, which she gladly accepted seconds later. Our tongues now fought for dominance, in a passionate and heated kiss.
"We-We're gonna be late." Tobin barley got the words out, but managed to speak them in between more sloppy kisses. I ignored her, and simply pushed her into the bed. In that moment all I cared about was her. It had been too long since I'd wanted this so badly, since I've felt all the things I'm feeling right now.

"Then we'll be a little late." I said back, feeling the huskily sound of my own voice turn her on. Tobin bite down on her lower lip, only to seconds later pull me down over her on the bed.

We were definitely going to be a little late.