Good For The Heart

By paboritonilola

"Lord, sana naman bigyan niyo ako ng taong tatanggal ng lungkot na nararamdaman ko ngayon." she prayed with h... More

|| one || falling star ||
|| two || the clash ||
|| three || the intruder ||
|| four || guardian angel ||
|| five || vineyard tour ||
|| six || better acquainted ||
|| seven || girls talk ||
|| eight || special delivery ||
|| nine || crazy idea ||
|| ten || double date ||
|| eleven || barbecue party ||
|| twelve || unexpected visitors ||
|| thirteen || medical mission ||
|| fourteen || kind hearted ||
|| fifteen || starry night ||
|| sixteen || honeymoon phase ||
|| seventeen || the rsvp ||
|| nineteen || family gathering ||
|| twenty || cold feet ||
|| twenty-one || wedding feels ||
|| twenty-two || seeking justice ||
|| twenty-three || wedding vows ||
|| twenty-four || happy beginnings ||

|| eighteen || the mendozas ||

5.2K 325 22
By paboritonilola

RJ had to beg his Kuya Dingdong to allow him a week of absence from the clinic because he and Maine had planned to stay in Bulacan for a week to attend her parents' wedding anniversary and the wedding of Maine's ex boyfriend and ex best friend.

At first, Kuya Dong seemed annoyed at first but he finally allowed RJ when his cousin in law told him that he was going to meet Maine's family for the first time. RJ also had his Ate Marian's full support on this, which was a big help because Dingdong could never say no to his wife. But he made RJ find a temporary replacement for him so RJ had to call a former classmate who owed him a favor back in med school.

A week before the wedding, Maine and RJ drove up to Bulacan for Maine's parents' wedding anniversary and also for Maine to finally introduce RJ to the Mendoza clan.

Sam and Patricia were to follow in Bulacan three days after. They had to leave Nini and Philip with Jerald and Valeen this time.

"Love, tell me more about your family." RJ told her after a long comfortable silence as they drove towards Bulacan.

Maine's smile widened. "My pemily?" she joked, RJ chuckled. And then she straightened up from her seat. "Well, paano ba ako uumpisa?"

"Isa isa sila, start from your parents love. What are they like?"

"Si nanay at si tatay, they're the strict kind of parents. Huwag ka mag mano sa kanila when you see them love ha? They won't allow you to kasi sa kanila you're still a stranger to them. Just shake my tatay's hand lang pero kay nanay OK lang mag mano or mag beso. Mga asawa ng kapatid ko sobrang nahirapan sa kanila noon nanliligaw pa mga yun. Traditional kasi sila masyado pero supportive naman sila, I think oobserbahan ka nila the whole week you're with us, then they will tell you frankly kung gusto ka nila o hindi." RJ gulped nervously. "Pero I'm sure inorient na sila ni Ate Niki at Coleen na you're a good guy, ang importante lang naman sa kanila is I'm happy being with you, which I am beyond words." Maine put her hand over RJ's hand that was resting on the gear, and squeezed it to assure him that he had nothing to worry about.

"No mano, just hand shake. Got it," RJ nodded,

Maine smiled, "Erm, si Kuya Nico naman you think he's overprotective pero sobrang kulit din yan. He has his own family now so minsan mo lang siya makikita pero he, his wife Ate Mandy and their newborn baby will be there." Maine looked out the window. "Ate Nicky and Ate Coleen you've met already. Tapos there's Dean, siya yun bunso namin. We used to be close kaso he grew up at nagkagirlfriend na rin. Alam mo na, nagbibinata so ayun,"

RJ chuckled, "Close kayo lahat?"

Maine shrugged, "When we were kids hindi kami masyadong close. I mean I was an introvert, palagi na lang nasa kwarto't nagbabasa ng mga libro dati. And I was a shy person, tapos naging kami ni Miggy. I was too focused on him that I always chose time with him over my family. Kaya sobra naappreciate ko na they were there when I found out that Miggy cheated on me, hinayaan nila ako sa decisions ko but they were so supportive and dahil sa nangyare, I become more open to my two Ates,"

"You're lucky nga you have a lot of siblings. I'm an only child but may ate Marian naman ako pero iba pa rin yun kapatid talaga," he grinned, "Gusto ko maraming anak someday kasi masaya pag maraming,"

Maine giggled, "Mga 24? Ganon?"

RJ laughed heartily. "Siguro ka diyan?" His face serious.

Maine flashed him a toothy grin, "Nakakapagod yun huy!" They laughed. "Mga four or five, OK na."

He smirked, "Sabe mo yan ha!"

-

Since they left home at around nine o'clock, they arrived in Bulacan just in time for their Sunday lunch, which was the perfect day for them to get to know RJ. Sunday was meant for family day, they would attend mass together as a family in the afternoon and usually, when

With a simple click from a button on one of Maine's keychains, the gate automatically opened and aa RJ had expected, the Mendoza's -humble abode- according to Maine - was a mansion. It was a three-storey combination of ancestral and modern house exterior walls were painted in yellow and its roof were painted in red. It had a huge garage that accommodated the family's several cars - some were vintage cars and a wide lawn designed for the children, pets and future grandchildren to play around.

Maine was amused that RJ seemed confident and did not look nervous at all from the fact that he was minutes away from meeting her strict father. She remembered the time when Miggy first met her parents and she couldn't help but compare. She remembered having to literally drag Miggy into meeting her parents- he was a nervous wreck that Maine felt sorry for him because he wouldn't stop shaking and sweating. RJ, on the other hand looked more excited.

But she was nervous for RJ, she remembered how her father gave Miggy a hard time when the poor sod asked her father if it was okay for him to court his youngest daughter. But RJ was confident and wore his most charming smile when her parents and siblings came out from the house to greet them when they stepped out of the car. RJ confidently walked up to her parents and shook hands with them.

"Good morning po, sir and ma'am," he greeted, flashing them a charming smile. The older woman replied with a thin smile while her husband looked at him with a stern look but accepted RJ's handshake anyway. Maine kissed both her parents' cheek, smiling nervously at them. "My name is Dr. Richard Faulkerson Jr po, at mahal ko po ang anak niyo," He found Maine's hand and she felt him squeezed a little.

Maine blushed and anxiously waited for her parents' to response. Her sisters were just watching her, both were biting their lip and trying hard not to giggle.

Dean and Nico just looked smug as they too waited for their parents' reaction.

After what seemed like forever but in reality was mere seconds, Mary Ann Mendoza finally smiled. And snaked her arms around RJ's and led him inside the house. Ate Niki and Coleen gave Maine thumbs up. They knew that once their mother was OK with one thing, their father would soon follow.

"Tara na sa loob, you're on time for lunch,"

Maine introduced RJ to her two brothers, while her sisters welcomed him like they'd known him for years. She also introduced him to the in laws and the nieces and nephews.

They had a pleasant lunch and RJ was seated next to the head of the Mendoza family, opposite Maine's mother so that they could easily talk to RJ without having to shout. Maine was forced to sit next to her mother, but almost facing her boyfriend who answered the questions thrown at him in a surprising calm manner.

"So Doctor ka, Doctor of what?" Teodoro asked,

"General Practitioner po ako ngayon sa Tagaytay, but I specialize in pediatrics." He answered, Maine's father just nodded.

"Paano kayo nagkakilala ni Maine?" He asked,

"We're neighbors po, sir." He answered, Maine nodded in agreement.

RJ felt like he was getting interviewed for a job from the questions Maine's father were asking him. And he answered them bravely while the rest of the Mendoza family just ate and listened.

After lunch, Teodoro Mendoza told them to have a quick rest and for all of them to be ready by three o'clock so they could all attend Church together.

Maine and RJ were finally able to talk to each other without the other family members when she toured him to the Mendoza's vast garden.

"So, ang galing mo kila tatay ha. They seemed impress with you," Maine was smiling,

RJ gave out a sigh of relief, "Really?" Maine glanced back at him, confused.

"Yes, you blew them away with your introductions, love!" Maine gave him a joyful hug, he chuckled and scratched the back of his head.

"But I was sh*tting myself, love!" He confessed and Maine bursted out laughing.

"Hindi halata,"

-

"Kuya, OK ka lang ba daw diyan tanong ni Ate Maine?" Dean asked RJ, through the bathroom that connected Dean's room and Nico's former room. Nico, his wife and their baby girl went home to their own house a few streets away after dinner so RJ was to use Nico's old room.

RJ nodded and smiled, "Yes, Ok lang ako Dean. Salamat."

Dean was playing a console and just nodded, turning back to whatever he was playing. "Teka, Kuya. Baka gusto mo maglaro?"

RJ could not help but smile, he always wanted to have a younger brother and he was touched that Dean asked him to play console with him. He was a gamer back in high school too, he stopped playing when he had to concentrate in med school. How he missed playing. He nodded at Dean and joined the youngest of Mendoza siblings in his room.

-
Meanwhile, in the girls' old room. Niki, Maine and Coleen were sitting Indian seat opposite each other on the floor, a newly opened pack of chips between them and a half empty bottle of wine Maine had brought along with three other boxes she took from the Vineyard.

"Believe talaga ako sa boyfriend mo, Meng eh! Ang tapang!" Ate Niki said,

"Di kaya! He told me earlier na he had never been so scared his entire life!" She giggled, putting a piece of chips on her mouth.

"Pero grabe hindi naman halata, and that's probably why Tatay likes him immediately kasi matapang. Di tulad ni Kuya John mo dati nun hiningi yun kamay ko, ay grabe! Ilang galloon ata ang pinawis ni John bago nahanap ang tapang kausapin lang si Tatay!" Ate Niki laughed,

"Si Mike din nga eh, sobrang kinabahan at nahiya rin." Coleen laughed, talking about her husband Mike, they'd been married for a year but were still not given a child.

Maine shrugged, "Maybe Tatay and Nanay are just you know, finally accepting na we're all grown up. I mean Miggy already asked my hand in marriage kay tatay before so matagal na silang ready for my marriage life, yun nga lang di na tuloy samin ni Miggy. And they see naman siguro na malinis intensyon ni RJ sakin so they're not too strict ngayon,"

"Anyways, buti nga naka leave yan for five days. In two days na yun wedding anniversary nila Nanay't Tatay and since you're the youngest, ikaw na siguro magbigay ng emotional speech para sa kanila,"

Maine's eyes widened, "Hala?! Ba't ako? Inaano ba kayo?"

"Hoy, Menggay. Kami na lang palagi nag spspeech para sa wedding anniversaries nila. Ikaw naman oh! And besides, hindi ka pa nakakasal so it's your time to shine,"

With a surrendered sigh, "Sige, I will do it!"

There was a soft knock on the door, and Maine's father's head appeared behind the door. He looked around the room at first, surprise to see his three daughters sitting on the floor and giggling then he looked confused.

"Meng, nasaan na yun nobyo mo?" He asked,

"Po?" Maine's face crunched up in confusion.

"Yayain ko sana mag kape kami sa terrasa, eh wala naman don sa kwarto? Akala ko nandito," 

Maine automatically grabbed her phone to call RJ, and he didn't answer. "Strange, magpapaalam naman yun kung aalis eh, tanongin mo po si Dean? Baka kasama sila?"

Her father nodded and left the room, Coleen and Niki just looked at their younger sisters.

"Aba naman, hindi basta basta nag aaya si Tatay magkape sa terrasa!" Niki teased,

Maine however looked worried as she texted RJ. He didn't reply until ten minutes later.

But they ended up, having that midnight snack after Niki and Coleen had gone home to their own houses. RJ happily told Maine how welcomed he felt from her family. He told her how it was nice to have a younger brother like Dean to be able to play games with.
-
Their second day started with RJ and Teodoro Mendoza having coffee in the kitchen while RJ offered to prepare breakfast for everyone.

"Iho, you're our guest. Dapat hayaan mo si Manang Pe,"

RJ shook his head, "Nasanay po ako na mag prepare ng breakfast para kay Maine every morning," he confessed,

"Ang parents mo iho?" Teodoro asked, trying to hide the fact that he was beyond impress with RJ. He could tell how the young man took care of his daughter, and he noticed the spark in Maine's eyes that he hadn't seen in years.

Even when Miggy came to him to ask for his blessing in asking for Maine's hand in marriage, he knew that Maine wasn't meant for Miggy because he didn't see it in Maine's eyes nor Miggy's. But with RJ and Maine, it was a complete different story.

"My mother died when I was fifteen years old at nasa States namon po yun dad ko, he remarried na po." He explained. "Yun family na natira dito sa Pilipinas eh yun pinsan ko po na si ate Marian,"

Teodoro nodded and just as his wife came down and joined them in the kitchen.

"Oh, RJ ba't ikaw nagluluto diyan?" Mary Ann asked,

"Hayaan mo siya, Nay. Gusto niya daw pinaghahanda ng breakfast si Maine." Teodoro chuckled, Mary Ann just looked from her husband then to her youngest daughter's boyfriend. 

She just nodded, "Sige, gisingin ko na mga bata. Para makapag breakfast na tayo lahat. Dami natin gagawin para bukas," She exited the kitchen once again and Teodoro continued to ask RJ some more questions.

"You know, RJ. I'm a father and isang beses ko lang to sasabehin sayo, huwag na huwag mong saktan si Menggay namin," he told her firmly.

"Maasahan niyo po ako, sir. Hinding hindi ko po magagawang saktan siya," He answered truthfully and Teodoro was satisfied with his answer.

"Wag mo na akong tawagin sir, tay na lang din." He said, he offered his hand to shake RJ's hand. "And iho, welcome to the family."

RJ accepted with a wide smile, "Thank you po, thank you po talaga!"

They were still shaking hands when Maine, Dean and their mother entered the kitchen. They all looked surprised to witness the handshake between the head of the Mendoza household and the guest.

"Ano meron?" Maine asked, heading straight to her father to peck on his cheek and greet him good morning and then she turned to RJ and her smile widened and also greeted him good morning with a kiss.

Teodoro observed how the two interacted, and he was pretty satisfied. He knew this time, Maine had chosen well and he saw the glimmer in their eyes and how RJ took good care of her, he was different with her and she was too, with him. They both wore genuine smiles that showed their obvious happiness and love for each other.

As Teodoro took a sip from his coffee mug, he smiled secretly because he knew.

He knew his youngest daughter, his Menggay was safe with RJ.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-
Gosh, terribly sorry for the looong wait sa update ha? I've been so busy at ilang days din ako nagkasakit.

Anyways, mga less than 10 chapters na lang natitira. And then finish na yun story na to. My aim is to finish this by the end of the month kasi I want to start a new story and continue the other story.

ang hirap, daming pumapasok na story plot sa utak ko, it's how to write them down yun mahirap eh!

😒 Anyways, sana magustohan niyo po ang update.
Comment, vote or tweet me na lang po sa
@PaboritoNiLola ❤️

Thanksss 😍

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 9.2K 67
Tulad ng karamihan, ordinaryong estudyante lamang si Valerie. Bagama't laki sa hirap, hindi ito naging hadlang para huminto sya sa pangangarap. .. U...
128K 3.1K 53
"Here, Under the Stars... What if our paths crossed again?" Four years after her heart got broken, successful music producer and CEO, Magui Feola, we...
14.3K 1.9K 69
My Fantasy Girl 1&2 βœ” Lalaking malakas mang-iwan sa una, pero sa social media niya lang nakikilala ang mga babaeng kanyang pinapaasa. May babaeng nag...
11.5K 231 93
A broke college student not being able to graduate due to an emergency financial storage, met a successful entrepreneur who managed to fulfill her ne...