Three Words

By Bender12345

Three words can change everything. Who knew that three words in the right combination could bring such joy... More

Chapter 1 - Tris
Chapter 2 - Tris
Chapter 3 - Four
Chapter 4 - Four
Chapter 5 - Tris
Chapter 6 - Four
Chapter 7 - Tris
Chapter 8 - Four
Chapter 9 - Tris
Chapter 10 - Four
Chapter 11 - Tris
Chapter 12 - Four
Chapter 13 - Tris
Chapter 14 - Tobias
Chapter 15 - Tris
Chapter 16 - Tobias
Chapter 17 - Tris
Chapter 18 - Tobias
Chapter 19 - Tris
Chapter 20 - Tobias
Chapter 21 - Tris
Chapter 22 - Tobias
Chapter 23 - Tris
Chapter 24 - Tobias
Chapter 25 - Tris
Chapter 26 - Tobias
Chapter 27 - Tris
Chapter 28 - Tobias
Chapter 29 - Tris
Chapter 30 - Tobias
Chapter 31 - Tris
Chapter 32 - Tobias
Chapter 33 - Tris
Chapter 34 - Tobias
Chapter 35 - Tris

Epilogue - Chapter 36 - Tobias

4K 150 196
By Bender12345

A/N: This has been an extraordinary journey writing this. For everyone that has given this story a chance and made it to the end, I have nothing but gratitude. If you have enjoyed it, then I have done my job as a writer and couldn't be more thrilled that I was able to give you a bit of an escape. Thank you again for all that have followed, liked, commented, and read. Enjoy life. Find those three words that complete you. Thank you everyone.

I walk down the stark white hallway, following Dr. Butler who's in front of me.  At least, that's what was on his name badge.  He says something, but my heart is hammering so hard in my chest, I can't seem to make out what he is saying.  He pushes through a set of double metal doors with the word 'Morgue' on a small plaque beside them. 

"Why are we here?"  My voice shakes with dread.

Dr. Butler doesn't say anything, his face sad, as he continues leading us through the doors until he gestures toward two stretchers.  Two bodies are laying on top with sheets covering them.  One is smaller than the other, and I can feel my heart drop into my stomach. 'No.  This isn't real.  This isn't happening.  This can't be real.'

I finally hear Dr. Butler say, "I need you to identify the bodies Mr. Eaton.  Are you ready?"

My mouth feels dry as I gape at the bodies.  'I'm not ready.  I'll never be ready to see what's under the sheets.'   Before I can respond, he pulls the first sheet back revealing Zoe.  Her lips are blue, her skin pale, and her smile is gone.  My lungs stop working.  My heart stops beating.

My beautiful daughter can't be dead.  She may not have been mine by blood, but my love for her was endless.  I promised to protect her.  I couldn't save her. 

Dr. Butler must take my silence as confirmation because he moves to the next stretcher, and pulls the sheet back. 

I thought seeing Zoe was enough to make me think my world had ended, but I was wrong.  Tris.  My beautiful wife.  My soulmate.  She can't be dead.  She just can't be. 

My eyes are frantic to find some clue to prove my brain wrong, but then they land on the thin scar on her shoulder.  My brain finding the confirmation it needed to prove this is indeed her.  That my beautiful Tris was indeed gone. 

I hear Dr. Butler say, "The autopsy revealed she was pregnant.  I'm so sorry for your loss sir."

The floor comes up to meet me as my world shatters.  I pull at my hair screaming.

My eyes snap open, and I sit up with a start, gasping, my heart racing, and my hands shaking.  I quickly turn and see that Tris is still asleep next to me.  I gently place a hand on her shoulder, and feel her warm, scarred skin beneath my shaking fingers. 

I close my eyes, sighing.  'Thank God it was only a nightmare.'  I lay back down and gently wrap my arms around her, trying not to wake her as I pull her close to me.  I need to feel her warm body against my bare chest to know she is ok.  I haven't had a nightmare like that in a long time, and the only way to calm myself has been to hold her close to me like this. 

I hear Tris take a deep breath in, her voice groggy.  "Are you ok?"  She's been woken many times like this before after I've had a bad dream.  Her voice calming me in the dark.  They plagued me for weeks after she was shot, but they have gotten better with time.  Especially when David was sentenced for life in prison, with the possibility of parole being in thirty years. 

I nod my head, breathing her in, "Yeah.  It was just a nightmare."  I kiss her hair, and whisper, "Go back to sleep."

She turns in my arms to face me.  Her eyebrows knitted together.  "Do you want to talk about it?  You haven't had one of those in a long time."

I kiss her gently, closing my eyes, before starting.  "You were gone.  All of you." 

She places a hand on my cheek, kissing me again. "I'm not going anywhere."  She wraps her arms around my neck, entangling her legs with mine.  "I won't go down without a fight.  You know that.  I love you too much to leave you."

I tighten my grip around her, whispering in her ear, "I love you so much my beautiful wife."

She kisses my throat, "I love you my wonderful husband."

Just being able to hold her like this is helping calm me.  Knowing that she is mine, that I am hers.  I breathe in again, feeling my pulse finally slowing down, but the stress of the dream hasn't left yet.  I'll more than likely be up for another hour before I can truly fall back asleep.  Tris knows this as she gently rubs soothing circles on my arm, waiting for sleep to reclaim us. 

The cries start just I feel Tris starting to drift off in my arms.  Tris sighs starting to detangle herself from me.  I whisper in her ear.  "I've got it.  You go back to sleep." 

"I love you."  She says in a groggy voice, kissing me briefly, "Thank you.  There's milk in the fridge." 

I walk across the hall and open the door.  "Shhh...It's ok.  Daddy's here."  I cross the room to the crib, looking down at my son.  I pick up Jacob's tiny body, holding him close to my chest, feeling his warmth against my bare skin.  He continues to wail, even after being picked up.  "Come on buddy.  Mommy left you some milk in the fridge.  Let's go get you a snack."  

I pad down the hall, heading toward the kitchen, gently patting and rubbing his back as we go, trying to soothe him till I can get the bottle ready.  I find the bottle Tris left, putting it in the microwave for a few seconds to heat it up.  Jacob's wails are finally turning to whimpers, the more I pat him, and sway around the kitchen till the microwave beeps.

I pull the bottle out, shaking it as I head to the living room where the glider is.  I throw a burp cloth over my shoulder and cradle him in my arms, giving him his bottle.  Jacob begins sucking hungrily at the milk, finally content he has exactly what he wants. 

I smile, watching my son eat, gently stroking his dark brown hair.  Who knew that a simple letter would lead me to such happiness?  I never would have guessed that after all the misery I went through in my life, I would actually get everything I wanted.  I have a beautiful wife that I will never get enough of.  I will never tire of talking with her, seeing her beautiful face, or the way we discover ourselves in each other every day.

I have a daughter that I adopted the second Tris and I were married.  I think in some ways she became my daughter that week I took care of Tris when she was sick, but the adoption just made it official.  Zoe is growing into a beautiful young woman, and that scares me in ways.  I know she will be bringing boys home in a few years, and I am trying to reason that she will be able to take care of herself.  Especially since she's been attending my evening classes at the dojo that Tris finally convinced me to teach twice a week. 

I have a son that I am in awe over.  I still can't believe the love I feel for him.  When I first found out we were having him part of me was terrified that I would become Marcus.  That somehow his abuse was hereditary, and I would feel hate toward him the moment he was born. 

When I voiced my fears to Tris, the only thing she had to do was place my hand on her swollen stomach letting me feel our son kick that first time.  Feeling him push into my hand nearly brought me to tears.  She did this every night as we were falling asleep.  Placing her hand on top of mine as we felt him kick.  Telling me what a wonderful father to Zoe I already was, and how adding Jacob wouldn't be much different. He entered this world on the anniversary of the day I received Tris' letter and I knew I had nothing to worry about.  

Jacob reaches the last of his bottle, and I gently remove it from his mouth.  His lips still pucker for more, but he's almost asleep.  I gently lay him on my shoulder rubbing and patting him till I hear the small burb.  I get up and start heading back to his room, continuing to rub circles on his back just in case there's another burp in him. 

I walk into his room, and change him quickly while he is still semiconscious.  He barely acknowledges the change, letting out only a small whimper of discomfort.  I swaddle him back, even though I know he is going to get out soon, and lay him down.  I lean over kissing his head.  "I love you so much son.  I promise to always let you know that every day."

I walk across the room, closing the door behind me.  I look at our bedroom then down the hall.  I know Zoe is fine, but after my nightmare I still have a need to check, just to make sure.  The image of her lifeless body is still branded on my eye lids.  I need to get rid of it. 

I walk down the hall and head toward the stairs.  I shake my head slightly as I realize I'm starting to turn into Zeke on nights like this.  The moment his daughter was born; he became the most over protective father I have ever seen.  I fear for any boy that comes within a mile radius to date that girl.  Though Shauna may help rein him in some.

I walk up the stairs passing the pictures of Tris and me on our wedding day.  Though it was simple, I'm glad we didn't wait long.  I smile thinking how Christina and Will are getting married next month in some lavish, over the top wedding Christina planned.  I still can't believe that relationship has worked out as well as it has.  Will insisted that I be his best man since I set the two of them up, while Tris is the maid of honor.  I've grown to like Christina, but I still don't know what to do with her without Tris there. 

I pad down the hall, and gently open Zoe's door peering in.  She's curled in a tight ball on her bed, the blanket only covering part of her feet, and her brown hair falls across her face.  I quietly walk across the room, avoiding various clothes that have been strewn across the floor and on the stuffed wolf that she keeps in the corner.  I move her hair out of her face, and pull the blanket back up.  The extra warmth causes her to sigh in her sleep, her muscles already starting to relax. 

I smile, finally feeling the last of my stress from the dream ebbing away knowing my family is safe.  I begin heading back downstairs, finally starting to feel tired.  I never expected my life to end up like this.  I never knew what others might call a simple life, could make me feel so rich.  My life with Tris has been incredible so far.  Our children enriching our lives even more.  And if I'm being honest, I would really like to add more children to the picture soon.  I wish we could have started our lives when we were young, but I know our experiences have shaped who we are.  

I reach our bedroom, being quiet as I lay down next to my sleeping wife, wrapping my arms around her, being careful not to wake her again.  I smile as sleep finally starts to claim me.  My life really started with a letter.  It's had its ups and downs, but it has been worth it to bring me to now.  I couldn't ask for anything more.  There are only three words that can actually sum up what I'm feeling about everything.  Life is perfect.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

896K 41.3K 61
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
317K 7K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
358K 9.8K 72
Zayn Malik Fanfiction "The baby's father is you" I said really fast closing my eyes hoping that when I open them he will not be ready to yell or hurt...
189K 1.7K 36
3 years after Ben's first mission, he disappeared. He didn't leave a letter or a note, just ran away, not to be seen again. His friend looked everywh...