A Troubled Heart ❥ D.M.

By parfaitiism

Iris Éclatant is a bright eyed girl from France who is unconvincingly told by the sorting hat she belongs in... More

P A R T O N E
C H A P T E R O N E
C H A P T E R T W O
C H A P T E R T H R E E
C H A P T E R F O U R
C H A P T E R F I V E
C H A P T E R S I X
C H A P T E R S E V E N
C H A P T E R E I G H T
C H A P T E R N I N E
C H A P T E R T E N
P A R T T W O
C H A P T E R 1 1
C H A P T E R 1 2
C H A P T E R 1 3
C H A P T E R 1 4
C H A P T E R 1 5
C H A P T E R 1 6
C H A P T E R 1 7
C H A P T E R 1 8
C H A P T E R 1 9
C H A P T E R 2 0
P A R T 3
C H A P T E R 2 1
C H A P T E R 2 2
C H A P T E R 2 3
C H A P T E R 2 4
C H A P T E R 2 5
C H A P T E R 2 6
C H A P T E R 2 8
C H A P T E R 2 9
C H A P T E R 3 0
P A R T 4
C H A P T E R 3 1
C H A P T E R 3 2
C H A P T E R 3 3
C H A P T E R 3 5 [ A/N ]

C H A P T E R 2 7

332 17 4
By parfaitiism

"Well," Narcissa said as she took a seat at the table that evening. "You two are officially done with your schooling. Are you excited?"

Draco and I shrugged simultaneously.

"What is it that you will be pursuing, Iris?" Lucius questioned.

"Have you given it any thought at all?" Narcissa asked, too.

"I'll be going into Auror training," I said quietly. "Professor McGonagall recommended me."

"An Auror?" Lucius raised his brows. "That certainly is an interesting choice."

Narcissa looked concerned. "Will they let you in with--"

"Yes," I interrupted Narcissa, already knowing what she was going to ask. "I mean, there's a chance they will."

"And if they don't?" Lucius continued the questions.

"I figure I'll work for the Ministry somehow. Gerard Willerby's father works for the Ministry and he helped Gerard get a job." I answered.

"Willerby, yes, I know them. Well, I suppose it's good you have a plan," Lucius nodded as he leaned back in his chair. "Draco, you've given your future some thought, yes?"

"Of course, father." Draco replied, though he didn't elaborate, nor did he seem certain.

"Don't feel rushed to move out. That goes for both of you. You've been through so much," Narcissa offered us a comforting smile. "If you two want to take a weekend trip to spend some time together, Lucius and I talked and we think it would be--"

"Mother." Draco said to prevent her from saying any more. I assumed he hadn't told her we were no longer, well...

"What?" She raised a brow at her son as she looked back and forth between the two of us.

"Thank you for dinner." I handed my plate to one of the servants before I stood from the table and ran up the stairs to my room.

I immediately shut my door and plopped onto my bed. I raised a brow upon seeing a white envelope with a red seal on my nightstand. It was from McGonagall. I opened the letter to find the information for Auror training, training begins on Wednesday, June 2nd, which meant the following day. I buried my face in my pillow and screamed for a couple of seconds. I was interrupted by a knock on the door, "Qui-est ce?"

"Was that a 'come in?'" Draco peeked into my room.

"Non," I frowned as I tossed my pillow aside. "But you might as well."

"Could we talk?" He shut the door behind himself after he entered the room.

"Are you sure you want to talk?" I replied a bit too harshly. "Is it because you genuinely want to speak to me, or because your Slytherin friends aren't around to keep you company?"

"Iris..." Draco furrowed his brows as he stepped closer to my bed. "I never meant it to be like this. Not to mention it was actually you who left that day at the Three Broomsticks."

I sighed. "Marietta and Cho--"

"You could have stayed," Draco raised his voice. "You and I could have left. Or Marietta and Cho could have sat with us. I wasn't planning on being with them."

"I think Daphne Greengrass would have had a problem with that." I muttered.

"Daphne and I are not together," Draco said. "We never were."

"I saw you two in the courtyard a few weeks ago." He sat beside me on the bed as I spoke.

"We went on one date," He explained. "But I ended it. It felt just as wrong as being with Pansy did. There is not a girl alive who can compare to you," My heart fell into my stomach when he spoke those words. I watched his grey eyes as they flickered between mine. "I've missed you," He continued. "I know we've been around each other, but I miss really speaking with you," He rested his hand on mine. "And..." His gaze dropped to my lips.

I pulled my hand away from his and stood from the bed. "I'm leaving tomorrow."

"What?" He stood from the bed, too.

"Auror training starts tomorrow." I didn't turn to face him. I felt sick to my stomach.

"But you'll still come back to the manor, won't you?" Draco's voice cracked. "Iris?"

I heard the door open, then shut. I needed to scream into the pillow again, but I decided against that.

I leaned against the wall, left alone with my thoughts, you should apologize, Iris. You need to fix things. You made this mess. Mon Dieu, why must you make everything so difficult.

However, despite my thoughts, I did not speak to Draco for the rest of the night. In fact, I didn't say goodbye to him in the morning, either. Lucius and Narcissa were awake at the time I left, and I thanked them for everything they had given me since the day I moved in, even thought we had our differences.

They changed, too, since the time we first met. Narcissa had always been a kind heated women, but she was no longer blinded by the morales of her family and Pureblood heritage. Lucius still had a bit of progress to make in that area, as he still preferred those of Purblooded status, especially the sacred eight families (or nine, as he does include mine), but he and I got along much better, and he didn't cringe when I mentioned the names of my friends, including Harry, Hermione, and the Weasleys.

"I'll be sure to tell Draco you said goodbye." Narcissa said as she hugged me. She gently rubbed my back while she rested her chin on my head.

In all honesty, I could have stayed there for a while longer.

I felt safe, and comforted.

I felt at home.

Malfoy Manor felt like home.

"I certainly wish your parents were here to see who you have become, Iris," Lucius placed his hands on my shoulders. "They would be very proud of you."

"Thank you, Lucius," I hugged the man, and his hug, too, was comforting. "I'll be sure to visit when I get the chance."

"We know you'll be busy," Narcissa smiled softly. "But we'll look forward to seeing what all you will accomplish."

❁ ❁ ❁

Auror training.

I really don't have words to describe Auror training.

I was accepted, fortunately, but Kingsley Shacklebolt told me the Ministry was keeping a very close eye on me. They weren't entirely comfortable with the fact that I was a Death Eater. They made exceptions on my behalf before, after all. He told me McGonagall gave them hell, and so they obliged. He fought for my acceptance, too, due to the fact that Harry and Ron told him all about me and how I fought on Hogwarts' side during the battle.

With the loss of many Aurors, they needed as many recruits as possible. In fact, anyone who participated at the Battle of Hogwarts met the requirements. Which meant I would have to fight even harder for my spot. After all,

Why take a Death Eater over another perfectly skilled wizard--especially one who fought against Voldemort from the very beginning?

Kingsley Shacklebolt had me for tea after the first day of training: "McGonagall must have mentioned it, I'm sure. At least, I hope," He poured me a cup. "But you do know that when one practices the Dark Arts, their soul... It--"

"It becomes damaged." I said.

"She has explained that to you, then?" Kingsley sighed.

"Non," I answered. "I have this book. It was my grandmother's. I assume she got it once she herself became invested in the Dark Arts."

I showed Kingsley the black leather book. He flipped through the pages briefly before he handed it back to me.

"Take care of yourself as you go through this training," Kingsley furrowed his brows. "You have used the Killing Curse twice before, I believe. Your soul is fragile. You must have noticed times when you've lost control, or felt angry for no reason, yes? The Ministry has spoken much about you since your eleventh birthday. Do not get on their bad side."

Fortunately, the book helped me much more than I expected. I practically knew every Dark Arts jinx, hex, and curse there was. Nobody could detect one as quick as I could, which proved both good and bad. It concerned the Ministry, but really, how could they be so surprised? They also appreciated such a skill, however, as it was necessary for an Auror to be able to recognize those types of magic.

Detecting and collecting the correct poisons and antidotes proved to be my weak spot, as that was heavily associated with potions. Nevertheless, I managed.

Nearly flunked, but I managed.

Concealment was a bit tricky, too. I remembered Tonks told me she passed without studying even the slightest. She was an Animagus, though.

I wanted to try something different. Something unique that no one else has done before.

I don't know how I pulled it off, but I managed to brew a more refined version of Rudimentary Body Potion, that way, a body was created without the need of an inhabitant or a soul.

Dangerous, terribly dangerous, and terribly terrifying.

I thought Polyjuice would be a bit basic, and though I really wasn't supposed to be using Dark Arts, it was my strong suit.

Merlin please, work. I thought as I poured the potion onto the tile. Kingsley and other members of the Ministry watched intently as the mucky green liquid dropped to the ground. I waved my wand and the liquid slowly rose from the floor. It began taking the shape of a body, and the features began growing and changing color. Within a few minutes, the potion presented itself as a human.

"Very interesting," I heard some of them mutter. "Can this body be inhabited?"

"No, sir," I answered, "It can be entirely controlled by the wizard, but I figured inhabiting the body would be far too--"

"Illegal." They interrupted.

"It keeps the wizard out of harm. It's a work in progress," Another said. "But a useful idea. Thank you, Miss Éclatant."

By mid July, I had passed all my evaluations. I can thank Harry, Ron, and Kingsley Shacklebolt for that. I roomed with Harry and Ron during the first training period (meaning I had not been in Malfoy Manor all Summer), but training typically took three years. However, a week or so before July 31st, Harry and I received an early birthday present:

"The Ministry has carefully thought about this decision. You both have been evaluated extensively," Kingsley said as Harry and I sat in his office. "And it has been decided that you two have exceeded the expectations of the requirements for Auror training, as well as Aurors themselves. Therefore, if you two feel comfortable completing your training early, it will be administered by the Ministry."

"We've only been in training for a couple of months," Harry said.'"I mean, if the Ministry really agrees--"

"We need a decision as soon as possible." Kingsley handed each of us a certificate in which we would sign in order to officiate our completion of training.

"Iris?" Harry asked as he picked up his quill.

"Why did they decide me, too?" I turned back to Kingsley. "Harry is--"

"We did not compare you two to each other, but to the others you are training beside," Kingsley answered. "You, Iris, as I said earlier this summer, know Dark Arts better than anyone else in this building. And for someone your age to have experienced it hands on and perform so well in training, well, it's impressive. You are very skilled." I found myself tracing my fingers along the dark mark before I picked up the quill. Harry and I nodded to each other before we signed our names on our certificates. "Alright," Kingsley took the certificates from us. "Congratulations. You both have passed Auror training. You'll receive your badges within the week. Enjoy the rest of your summer, and have wonderful birthdays, both of you."

"Merci." I said simultaneously with Harry's 'thank you.'

Harry and I exited his office. Once we were clear of his sight, the two of us embraced each other tightly. Harry spun me around as we laughed about how we just became the two youngest Aurors in magical history.

"We should celebrate." Harry said.

"How about we go on that trip? We could invite all our friends!" I exclaimed as I clapped my hands together.

"Brilliant," Harry agreed. "Next weekend? We could celebrate our birthday, too."

"Oui! I'll owl Hermione and have her help me plan out the details."

❁ ❁ ❁

Hermione and I met in Hogsmeade the following day after we exchanged letters.

"Alright, let's go over the invites one more time," She said. "Starting with the Weasleys. Ron, Ginny, and George, correct?"

"Correct." I confirmed.

"Harry, of course, myself, Dean Thomas?" She wrote each name down on separate envelopes.

"Mhm, go on." I set aside the letters as she finished each one.

"Marietta Edgecomb, Cho Chang, Luna Lovegood..." Hermione paused for a moment so she could finish writing. "Neville Longbottom, Seamus Finnigan, Rebecca Wright, Stewart Ackerley, and Gerard Willerby. Am I forgetting anyone?"

"I don't believe you are." I answered as I read over the names on each envelope.

"What about Draco?" She was already prepared to write his name on an envelope.

"Non." I answered.

"Alright, then. I think that's everyone, and we'll camp by the Black Lake on July 31st." She handed two separate stacks of letters to the two owls that were perched on the window.

"I better get going," I said. "I have to pick up my badge at the Ministry. See you on Saturday."

"See you then," Hermione gave me a quick hug. "And congratulations, again."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 28 21
Cora Malfoy has always hidden behind her family. Being sent to Beauxbatons for the first four years of her schooling, it was easy to pretend she didn...
3.4K 155 15
" I'm Draco Malfoy." the boy said, his ocean eyes piercing deep into my soul.' Hi! I am back with a new Draco Malfoy story hope you all enjoy i...
786K 16.8K 141
What if Harry Potter had a twin sister but she got seperated from Harry after what happened the night He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named came and visited the P...
108K 1.5K 33
A Draco Malfoy love story// For readers 16+ Smut, love, & a lot of messes. -Even when drowning seemed like the only option, I was able to find someo...