The Assistant

By someone123

Natalie's boyfriend just cheated on her, and she's bawling her eyes out on her first day at work. Aaron, her... More

The Assistant
The Assistant 2
The Assistant 4
The Assistant 5
The Assistant 6
The Assistant 7
The Assistant 8
The Assistant 9
The Assistant 10
The Assistant 11
The Assistant 12
The Assistant 13
The Assistant 14
The Assistant 15 - FINAL CHAPT.
The Assistant Characters

The Assistant 3

12.4K 300 11
By someone123

Hey,

There haven't been many reads for The Assistant, but there's at least 20 for each chapter. Enough to keep me going. Even though I'm sure you guys won't, just please comment or vote. I would really love to hear and know what you think. I really hope you enjoy this chapter and that the story is intriguing enough! Enjoy!

Ana

******************

The Assistant Chapter 3

Aaron's POV.

I shook my head and laughed. My new secretary was so funny . . . and crazy. I don't know why Rick would even want her to "repay him" for yesterday. I did feel sorry for her though, carrying that big load of dry-cleaning back and forth. Not that I didn't find it funny though.

I leant back in my black leather swivel chair. I had missed Hayley. The memory of her long deep brown hair intertwined in my fingers made me smile with joy. As I reminisced our past memories I suddenly saw Natalie's flaming red hair and her sweet smile that went with her bright teeth. I scoffed. Why am I thinking about her?

Then thought of Natalie in high heels, staggering over the steps, holding many, many hangers of clothes encased in clear plastic bags. I shook my head knowing I shouldn't really but I should. I should help her, it's the "gentleman" thing to do. I walked out of my office and as soon as I stepped outside the building I heard Natalie's annoyed and strained voice calling out, or shouting out. As I walked down the stairs the shouting became louder and I heard a rough male voice chuckling. My brow crinkled in worry and in amusement. My slow walk turned into a light jog as I got nearer and nearer to the sound of shouting.

"SHE came onto ME," the male voice shouted.

The man was tall, regrettably a little taller than me (I wasn't THAT tall) he wore jeans and a t-shirt, hardly work attire. HIs hair was a little darker than my mousy brown shade and longer than my usual short, spikey cut. His skin tone was tanned and darker than my fair one. This was the city area of New York, he clearly looked out of place here. Then my eyes focused on Nat. Her fair, light face was flushed beetroot red and her forehead was creased in anger.

"That doesn't give YOU permission to be here!" Nat screamed back.

Bystanders tried not to look and stare at the ongoing verbal fight. Some people did stand around though. Some groups whispered to each other as they passed by. I didn't notice that I was frozen on the spot just staring at them in confusion and amusement. I had this crazy hunch that the man she was fighting with was her ex. The one that made her bawl her eyes out when I first saw her and talked to her. I felt my fist clench in anger but I didn't really know why.

"I have EVERY right to be here. You just packed your things and left within the minute! Hell, I even ran out naked after you without realising it. Do you know how embarrassing that was?"

Natalie gave a tired laugh. "Yeah, and I had the right to leave! And naked. Explain to me again how you got that way, since you're implying that nothing happened," she answered back bitterly. "And don't tell me she undressed you magically or your clothes fell off because last time I checked that didn't happen."

I was, admittedly, pleased with Natalie. I mean, as annoying as she really is she was a strong person and her comebacks were pretty awesome. She put her clenched fist on her hip and cocked her head, staring at the man. If I recall his name was . . . Jack?

Natalie gave a tired sigh and relaxed her hostile stance. She put her other hand up to her temple and massaged it a little. "Jack (bingo! Right name), just tell me what you're doing here. I'm working right now and you're distubring me and . . . I don't need this," she said defeatedly.

"Look, I'm here as long as I want to be. I just wanted to come back, make amends. Explain. I wanted to see you again. Not just see you but, SEE you. I want to restart," he said with a hopeful smile.

"You're too late. I'm . . ." she trailed off, clearly looking for an excuse. Then her eyes fell on me. She had that familiar evil smile on her face. "I'm seeing someone else. Aaron! Bye, Jack. For good," she said.

Natalie walked forward to Jack and dumped the clothes onto Jack's open arms. Waiting for a hug? The people who watched followed her walk over to me with amused faces. I was amused too, but also nervous and scared and worried. I had this hunch of what she was going to do and what her plan was but I was really hoping I was wrong. I started shaking my head unknowingly. Natalie bit her lip and nodded, looking at me hopefully. She turned around and wrapped her arm around me, facing Jack.

"Play along," Natalie ordered through gritted teeth.

Oh no. This is crazy. I felt her arm pinch me really hard and I winced in pain. I smiled fakely at her and hugged her close with my arm. Jack walked closer with disbelief in his eyes. Maybe it was the fact that Natalie could move on so fast or the fact that I was with her. If I was him I guess I'd be shocked too. I mean, it was Nat.

"You can't be going out with this guy," he said.

"Well, I am. Believe it or not, Jack, I move on faster than you do. Do you want me to prove it to you?" She snapped. Oh no, I don't want you to prove it to him.

"Fine. A kiss is all I need," Jack said back with a challenging glance. Natalie mirrored the same look in his eyes, raising her eyebrow.

She faced me and brought my head down, cupping my jaw and kissing me deeply. I felt my eyes flutter close as I placed my other hand on her waist and pulled her close and kissed her deeper. She abruptly parted from me and we were left staring at each other, panting heavily. Natalie cleared her throat and directed her attention back to Jack, cocking her head to the side. I can't believe I just did that. She's my assitant. A colleague. A crazy colleague. A cute colleague. STOP! I screamed in my head.

"Ok, I get it. Fine, have a nice life Natalie. I'll be having fun with your ex-best friend. While you can have fun with Mr. Up-tight over here," Jack spitted as he walked away, dropping the clothes onto the concrete ground.

Natalie breathed a thank you to me as she walked past me to collect the clothes. "I better return these," she said as she walked down to the dry cleaners, her black peep-toe heels clacking on the pavement.

I ran my hand through my brown hair and sighed. This wasn't going as I planned. I didn't even know her that much. I didn't even LIKE her that much. No, I need to stick with Hayley. She's everything to me. Remember tonight. I'd be seeing her tonight. Everything was set up. I can't start to think I like my weird new assistant. It was just role playing. I shook my head and went back up to my office.

************************

"Aaron, hey!" Hayley greeted as she came in for a hug. I held her closer as I smelt her apple scented hair.

"Wow, where is everyone? It's like we're the only people here!" She laughed as she parted from me, looking at the open space of the restaurant. Hopefully she doesn't notice that I hired the whole place out for tonight. Just for us.

I lead her to our isolate table, lit up by candles on the silk red tablecloth. I pulled out the cushioned, red velvet chair for Hayley as she tucked her navy blue dress under her legs to sit down. She smiled at me enchantingly and clasped her hands in front of her.

"So, you wanted to speak to me?" She asked happily.

I pulled a little at my tie and she chuckled. I felt blood rush to my cheeks and it felt even hotter at the thought of me blushing. Guys so don't blush. "Uhh, yeah, I did. Can you excuse me for a while? I need to talk to the chef," I excused. She nodded as I left to go to the back.

"She's a very beautiful girl, Mr. Hansen," Kieran, the chef told me.

"I know. Do you have the ring ready in the ice-cream?" I checked.

Yeah, I'm going to propose to Hayley. She always came back and forth because of her job. She would never ask me to come but I always wanted to go with her, or for her to stay or just so we could be together. I loved Hayley so much it hurt sometimes. We were only best friends but tonight, I'd change that. I didn't know how she felt but Rick, my other best friend, advised me to take chances. I could gain everything or lose everything. Before, when I confided in Rick, who only thought of her as a little sister so no problems there, I thought it'd be too risky. Now, I was ready. At least I hope I was.

I stepped back outside and saw Hayley drumming her fingers on the table top. Her face automatically lit up when she saw me coming back. I sat back down and was about to say something (conversation starter) when she interrupted me.

"Aaron, I know that you needed to tell me something tonight, but I just got a call from my agent and I need to go. Now," she said. "I'm really, really sorry. You could just tell me over the phone while I'm in the cab or maybe it could wait until tomorrow?" She suggested.

My face fell. My heart was beating louder than anything I'd ever heard and it was beating as fast as a cheetah running. She couldn't leave. Not now, she had to stay. As she got up I stood up as well, placing a light hand on her tanned arm. "Wait. Can't it wait, Hayles? This always happens. How about just not tonight? Just stay for the ice-cream at least," I said without trying to sound as if I was begging or pleading. Sadly though, I think I really was.

She placed her smooth hand over mine and slid my hand off. "Aww, Aaron, I know. Just call me tomorrow, ok? We can have ice-cream then," she suggested again, turning her back and going for the elevator. She looked back at me with a sorry smile and waved as she entered the closing doors of the elevator.

I sighed. I was left there, looking like a sorry loser and I hated it. I was prepared but now . . . I didn't know what I was. A friend. That's it. I put my head into my hands and sat down. I payed for the night and retrieved the ring from the chefs and cooks as I left the night. I was hoping to leave with her, smiling, happy, radiant. Instead I left by myself, frowning, sad and dim. I shook my head. It was always going to be work and nothing more. I never should've tried. The grand gesture, or the trial of it, just lead me to embarrassment and a whole lot of money down the drain.

I regretted just leaving the restaurant without eating anything. I went to a nearby bar, loosened my tie and untucked my shirt. I ordered some vodka as I stared down at the bar table. I looked up and saw someone familiar.

"Oh my God, Aaron! Is that you? What are you doing here?"

*********************

I really hoped you lked that chapter. I decided to do alternate POVs, so next is Natalie's. I just wanted it like that because, for an example, for this one, it shows a vulnerable side to another wise, asshole-like, up-tight guy. So I'm just trying to show Aaron off a little bit and prove he does have a heart (contrary to what Nat thinks). Again, I hope you liked it, thanks for reading, vote and comment!

Ana

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3K 213 17
Katsumi Senju is the daughter of Orochimaru the Snake sannin and Lady Tsunade the Slug queen. Although Tsunade didn't she as her daughter believeing...
81.5K 1.2K 45
𝐈𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥 , 𝐀𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐲𝐚𝐡 𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐧 𝟏𝟎𝐭𝐡 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞, 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐡...
13K 327 13
Quackity had no where to go. He hated Schlatt with a burning passion. Schlatt had used him. Quackity didn't want to work with him anymore. He didn't...
74.7K 1.4K 20
FAN MADE: Continuation of Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms (Dong Hua Dijun and Bai Fengjiu's love story) A fan-made story of Dong Hua Dijun and Bai Fengji...