My Star's Light is Overrated...

By -tangledthoughts

#10 in Humor 15/05/17 #29 in Teen Fiction 02/11/16 DISCLAIMER: I wrote this story when I was thirt... More

// Synopsis //
~Character Overview~
|| Prologue ||
1|| Newbies, Wannabes and Queen Bees
2|| Introductions and Introspections
3|| Onlinathon's Secret Starlight
4|| Secrets, Sleepovers and Little White Lies
5|| My Palace of Solitude (Fully Equipped with a Lying Loner!)
6|| Irritation, Infatuation and Ice Bucket Challenges
7|| Hold Your Horses
8|| A Nostalgic Trip Down Memory Lane
9|| That Feeling When You Have No Idea What You're Feeling
11|| Hanging out with my Hangover
12|| The Annoying Aftermath and an Awkward Affinity
13|| Operation: Bring the Brains Back
14|| Screaming and Shouting Because of Stereotypes
15|| Popcorn that's not Corny
16|| Concussions, Confessions and Confusing Conversations
17|| I'm Pretty Popular Myself, Player
18||Feign Frustration Because of Surprise Cleanups (Feat. the Haunted Underwear)
19|| Want a Side Dish of Insomnia?
20|| Treacherous Teardrops of Betrayal
21|| It Takes Two to Tango
22|| Friends, Fun and the Call of a Fraud
23|| What About you is Real, Anyway?
24|| My Star's Light is Overrated
25|| Starting Over
26|| The Haters Gonna Hate
27|| There's a Difference Between a Pessimist and a Realist
28|| This is Becoming too Predictable for my Liking
29|| Her Words are Piercing Knives
30|| If you were Looking for a Plaything, you Should've Headed to Toys-R-Us
31|| Vengeance is a Dish Best Served Cold
32|| Stinking Skunks, Smelly Fish and a Surprise Called Sandy
33|| At the End of the Day
34|| So Much Less Than Friends
35|| Text Fails
36|| Your Hate For me is Like an Episode of Tom and Jerry
37|| The Villain's Tale
38|| It's a Star's Light that Brings out a New Day
39|| You Give Every Evil Person a Run for Their Money
40|| I've Seen Rice Grains With More Style
41|| You Bring out the Best in me
42|| I got Bad Luck in the Neighborhood Department
{BONUS CHAPTER}
43|| Formal Dinners are for Food
44|| When Pigs Fly
45|| The Little Starlet
46|| One Last Post
|| Epilogue ||
One Shot- A Reunion
~Character Interview~
One Shot- When Rich Meets Bitch
One Shot- An Interview to Remember

10|| There's a Difference Between Party Poopers and Good Girls

2.5K 179 132
By -tangledthoughts

Follow me:

Instagram: @a.lake.yeah

Twitter: AlekhyaBhat

Chapter 10: There's a Difference Between Party Poopers and Good Girls

No, I don't party all the time. I'm not under some therapy and I don't do anything illegal. Yes, I am a good girl and yes, we still exist. 
Well... Good girls are bad girls that haven't been caught. I'm not good, it's just that no one's been able to unleash the inner beast yet.

~Starlight24

I glanced at myself one last time in the mirror before dashing towards the car. Jase had honked at least eight times, yelling at me to come into the car quicker, but I needed to apply a bit more lip gloss. I must admit that I actually looked okay. My mom had piled my hair up beautifully, allowing stray locks to caress my face. My blue eyes were twinkling because of the eyeliner that had been gracefully applied and my lips looked full and baby pink. My face was glowing and I wore a soft pink skater dress that hit my skin mid-thigh with a golden belt across my waist. My earrings dangled down and I wore a thin, long gold chain with a butterfly at the end. My heels were golden as well, and showed off my pink pedicured nails. I felt, all in all, okay-ish.

I skipped towards the car, hearing Jase whistle appreciatively as I opened the front door of the car to get in. I rolled my eyes and smiled sweetly at him. "Jase, do note that if you try anything, I didn't wear eight inched stilettos for no reason. They are pretty damn sharp, and you'll be the first one to tell everyone the tale of how you lost a body part thanks to a shoe."

Jase laughed, but it was dry. "You're not like the other girls I've played with," he said, almost to himself.

"Played with!?" I shrieked, angrily. "What are we, toys?"

"I prefer the term sluts, but yeah, I guess toys works too." He grinned impishly at me, and I met his gaze evenly with a smoldering glare.

"I can't believe you're so idiotic. Do you even have a life apart from trying to get your way with random girls?" I asked, genuinely curious about what he did with his time.

He lazily put an arm around my bare skin around my shoulders, and shrugged. "Well, I am working towards a biology major, if you're interested in the nerd side of me," he laughed at that, but something about his tone told me that he was serious.

Goosebumps prickled the area around his touch, but I tried to act oblivious towards it. He opened his sunroof, allowing the cold windy air to sweep into the car. "I think you'll have fun at Collen's place." He smiled at me, and for the first time ever, his eyes were on my face and not on the rest of my body. He had room for improvement, apparently.

"How do you know him?" I asked, snuggling in his strong arms because the cool twilight air was cold against my exposed flesh. Also, he had very comfy shoulders.

He smiled down at me, looking more protective than I'd ever seen him before. Was it for me? No, I was probably getting a wee bit carried away.

"We used to be neighbors, and he was my senior at school. Our families were pretty close, and our dads were school friends as well. So I guess we've known each other for a while, huh?" I nodded, not replying. I closed my eyes, because everything about the moment was so comfortable, but before I could doze off he stopped the car.

"We're here, doll. I hope you weren't planning on sleeping now, because we'll be up for a while." He chuckled and left me in the car, and I scrambled out quickly.

A fine date he was; he'd disappeared within the first two seconds of our arrival. I rolled my eyes and trudged forward, grumbling to myself about how stupid I was for even wondering whether he cared about me for a moment.

I'd taken off my shoes and chucked them into the car, feeling like an idiot for wearing something so uncomfortable. Since my feet were quite sensitive, I felt the cobble stoned path's sharp and jagged ends pierce the soft skin of my heel, and I cringed. The night had already started off badly and it had just begun. Oh joy.

"Hi!" I screamed, spotting Mindy, who was one of Nat's friends. Mindy waved back, and I was glad she wasn't ignoring me like the rest of Nat's group.

Mindy was adorable, and she was one of the rare kids who were shorter than me. She had black hair that cascaded down her shoulders in these princess curls, and her eyes were large and black as well. The rest of her was all soft edges, like her nose and her ears that seemed to be lacking points. Her skin tone was an almost olive color, and she was wearing the most sensible clothes. She had a netted cardigan over a tight tank top and denim jeans underneath.

"How do you know Collen?" she asked, and even if it wasn't mean, the confusion in her voice was clear and palpable.

"I don't," was my short answer. "What about you?"

"My older brother Matt and Collen are best friends!" she laughed. She smelled nice, compared to the rest of the choked air that had alcohol hanging in it. I hated the smell.
"Matthew Fletcher!" she exclaimed, flinging her arms around an older boy who looked a lot like her, except with longer hair that curled around his nape. The only difference between them was their eyes, as Matthew's were hazel.

"Meet Day Winters, the newbie at our school!" Mindy smiled at me, and I waved in acknowledgement.

"She's hot," he said to Mindy, which made me blush and she rolled her eyes.

"And you're drunk. Bye, bye!" she shoved him away, and he staggered off towards another guy. "Sorry about that. He's usually not that blunt," Mindy apologized, and I laughed it off.

"That's okay. It's nice to be complimented for a change," I giggled, and she did as well.

"This party sucks so much," Mindy complained, groaning. "I don't and never have gotten drunk, and there's nothing more to this party. And Collen's the worst, because he's retarded anyway. With the drinks he's absolutely bonkers."

"That's true. Speaking of Collen, he wanted to meet me, right?" I asked, and Mindy shrugged.

"I have no idea, but I can show him to you!" she smiled and scampered off, leaving me alone near the entrance of his house.

The house was large and pearly white, with lots of stained glass windows and this modern and very elite look to it. The door was a mahogany and vines flanked the walls, and there was a garden around the path to his house. I could hear the noise of people skinny dipping at the back, and I shuddered. I really thought being here was a huge mistake.

Mindy came back, arm-in-arm with an older boy. His sandy brown hair was long and wavy, and his eyes were a light green that looked mildly creepy yet attractive. He had one hell of a jawline and looked at me, confusion distorting his features. He had a very athletic build, close enough to being called buff. He wore a tight shirt and jeans.

"Who the hell is that?" he asked, and I knew he was drunk by the slur in his voice.

"Hi, I'm Day Winters," I introduced myself. "You wanted to meet me...?"

He guffawed, which sent a wave of bad breath across my face. I cringed but plastered a smile across my face. "Hey Day," he smiled widely. "If I may?" he asked, holding out his hand towards me.

I took it and he lead me into the house. I almost puked because of the overwhelming smell of body odor, alcohol, sweat and smoke. It hit my head and I staggered a bit, but he caught me. "Wanna dance?" he asked, and I nodded. Anything to get my mind off the stench would be great.

What do you Mean by Justin Bieber was blaring through the speakers, loud enough to make me question my hearing. I wondered what my mom would think about this entire thing. I'd told her that I'd be at Deeds' place, but when Jase showed up she got rather skeptical.

He wrapped his arms around the small of my back, close enough to make me feel insanely uncomfortable. We just randomly bobbed up and down, and me being the terrible dancer that I was kind of looked like a total idiot. My dress was flared up at the bottom, and I suddenly felt very exposed. Another girl around Collen's age suddenly came up and pulled him away, leaving me lost and weirded out in the middle of the dance floor.

The area was choked with couples and I spotted Marie and Zachary somewhere, but I didn't want to disturb them. I tried to squeeze my way through the crowd, but they were literally glued together. I finally ran towards the kitchen and inhaled deeply.

"Hey," said a familiar voice, and I turned around and flung my arms around a surprised Deeds.

"Oh my gosh, this party is so creepy," I whined because it was true.

"It's a party, Day. What did you expect? Streamers and balloons with three year olds in tutus?" she looked at me with her eyebrows raised.

"I don't know," I admitted because it was true.

Deeds didn't smell that bad, but she had definitely drunk a bit. My insides were squirming with a feeling I couldn't fully comprehend; both disgust, sickness and a looming sensation of disaster. I just felt like something incredibly bad was going to happen, sort of like these bad vibes that were swarming around me. I doubled over and started coughing, which made Deeds bend down and pat my back.

"What happened?" she asked, and the concern in her tone was evident.

"I don't know, I feel kind of sick." My voice had become a bit of a strangled choke and was raspy. "I can just sense something bad looming, and I have no idea what it is." I shrugged helplessly.

"It's your fist party. It's bound to be a bit... suffocating." Deeds sympathized with me, but my intestines were still trying to braid themselves up.

"No, not only the weirdness of a party. It's this imminent sense of doom..."

"Why are you such a drama queen?" she asked, shaking her head in mild disgust. I laughed, but I still felt sick and nauseous.

"What about you?" I asked, realizing that Deeds had no reason to be here when she could be having fun. "What are you doing here?"

She suddenly looked mildly sheepish and hung her head. "I... I don't know, I guess."

I could sense there was something she was hiding, and she was going to have to tell me. Although this was a trait in me that I disliked, it wasn't something I could control and curiosity always grabbed my attention whenever something that I hadn't heard of had happened.

"And you expect me to believe that?" I asked, skeptically.

"I'm... claustrophobic." She heaved a sigh of relief; like this was a huge secret that she'd just thrown off her shoulders. I laughed, much to her displeasure.

"That's it?" I asked, smiling. "You acted like the next World War would take place if you admitted that."

She shook her head, silently laughing. "I'll catch up with you later, okay?" she said, heading out of the kitchen. "And be sure to go catch Jase... he's being such a terrible date!"

I smiled as she left, but my throat had other ideas and was knotting itself up. What was its problem, not like it was International bow day or something, but all of my body parts seemed to want to make that day a reality.

"Hey," said a guy, and I turned to see an unfamiliar face. He wasn't what I'd call hot, but he definitely had swag. He had a slightly snubbed nose, a squared jaw and curly black hair.

"Hi," I smiled, my voice lacking its usual overenthusiasm. "Sorry, but who are you?" I asked, remembering him from the school's soccer team.

"Jordan. And you're Day, right?" he asked, and there was something sweet and endearing about him.

"Right." I paused, running out of small talk. "So what're you doing here, away from the party?" I was genuinely curious. Maybe he was claustrophobic as well.

"I think the party's a bit wild," he grumbled, running a hand through his smooth curls. At least, they looked smooth to me. I was such a creep. "What about you?"

"This is my first party, and I'm not used to seeing so many scarring images." This was the partial truth—the other half of it being the fact that I felt like throwing up.

He handed me a glass of water, and drank one himself. "That's true," he replied, his voice mildly thick. "I just found my girlfriend with another guy." His voice caught. I didn't know why he was telling me this.

"I'm so sorry," I said, because I actually was. I'd never faced heartbreak before so I had no idea what it was like, but I could bet it was pretty harsh.

"No, it's okay," he said, and his voice was getting thicker by the second as I drank the water he gave me. "Cady deserved better than me anyway!" and then he started screaming a string of curses and banging his head against the wall. I couldn't believe Cady had been the cause for this madness. On second thoughts, I could fully understand her doing something like that.

"You'll find better people," I told him, using a soft and coaxing voice that someone would use to lure a particularly scared pet tiger. "I think you got it all wrong. It's not Cady who you didn't deserve, but quite the opposite. She isn't worthy of someone like you."

And with that, I stalked out of the room and he watched me in a drunken stupor.

My head started feeling woozy and funny, but I suspected it was because of the humidity and stench in the house. Here by Alessia Cara was blaring through the speakers and I caught people dancing- if you could call it dancing- closely enough to make someone squish up.

Honestly, I didn't know what I was doing here. I wasn't having fun, my head was throbbing, I was pretty sure I would go deaf, my date had ditched me and I was lonely. I didn't know why I'd even come here in the first place, and my heart was thumping like something increasingly bad was going to happen.

 I ask myself what am I doing here?  The lyrics of Here were so apt. 

I found Jase slumped against a table, his knuckles white. I tried to talk to him without acknowledging the people around him. "I wanna go home, Jase," I said, my voice sounding adorable to my own ears.

"You're such a party pooper," he teased.

"No Jase, I'm serious." I looked him in the eye. Well, as serious as one can be when they are talking to a guy with four she-demons flanking him.

There were four skinny girls in nothing but bikinis clinging onto him, and I was pretty sure one of them was trying to bite off his earlobe. The others were clawing against his chest (which was bare) and to my surprise, he was actually smiling instead of screaming out in pain.

"You're still a party pooper," he said, lazily smiling at me. He didn't look that drunk, but I could tell he'd had something.

"There's a difference between party poopers and good girls." I informed him, ripping off the girls from his body like they were annoyingly disgusting accessories. I didn't even know why they'd bothered me that much, but I officially hated them.

"Whatever," Jase rolled his eyes as I grabbed onto his wrist to leave him out of the house. My head hurt, my body ached, my throat was parched and my ears were dying. The girls that I had thrown away from him were so drunk that they'd just stayed on the floor like peach colored rags.

As we stepped out of the stuffy house, I saw a huge number of people crowding around something or someone, and I couldn't resist the urge to find out what it was despite my bad state. I held Jase's wrist even tighter- much to his cries of protest- and pushed my way through the concentrated crowd. I suddenly heard a shriek, and I walked quicker.

"Curiosity killed the cat, you know," breathed Jase into my ear, and I tried to shun the tingles it sent down my spine.

"Well good for the cat. I'm a girl, if you hadn't realized already." I deadpanned.

When I finally made it to the front of the crowd, my jaw dropped to the floor. A similar expression was plastered across Jase's face as well.

Of course, I hadn't asked Jordan who Cady had been with because he'd been in shreds already. I finally figured out who it had been.

In front of my very eyes, Cady and Dylan were locked in an overly passionate embrace.

A/N:

CLIFFHANGERS YAY!!

Teaser: Introducing: JASE'S FAMILY!

What do you think? Had you ever expected this to happen?

Picture of Bryan Acosta :P

Uneditted sorry!

Please Comment/Vote/Follow/All of the Above if you liked this!!

200th vote gets a dedication :D (decided to change things lol)

Song of the day: Here by Alessia Cara

Love you all,

~Lexi

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 102K 82
Nolan, an unapproachable guy who ignores the existence of all his schoolmates, sleeps in all of his classes. Normally, this wouldn't be Chelsea Arnol...
181K 55.6K 122
After a long anticipated party hosted by one of the most popular boys in school, a rumour goes round the entire school and gets the names of the two...
88.6K 2.8K 33
[COMPLETED] This is the story of Alexandra. Alex is a teenager who wants to live a happy, unbothered life and is afraid to get attached to anyone in...
1.3M 71.8K 42
[2022 WATTPAD BOOKS AWARD & WATTY WINNER: GETTING PUBLISHED 2025] There's a boy at Evergreen High that has a different girlfriend every two weeks, a...