Charming and Awkward

De Jenleighna

James slid his hand to the nape of my neck, holding me steady against his lips. His other hand stayed on my w... Mais

Authors note!
Chapter 1: Don't Feel Sorry For Me
Chapter 2: Who Is That?
Chapter 3: I Want Attention Too
Chapter 4: And You Could Fire Me
Chapter 5: Puns Are Stupid
Chapter 6: Just Stop The Car!
Chapter 7: Chaos
Chapter 9: He Doesn't Trust Me
Chapter 10: Sand On Your Cheek
Chapter 11: Having Trouble Breathing
Chapter 12: Take Me Home
Chapter 13: Will We Figure This Out?
Chapter 14: Your Boss Sounds Like a Jackass
Chapter 15: I Want You To Come Find Me
Chapter 16: Cuddle With Me Instead
Chapter 17: You're Not Here With Me
Chapter 18: All In
Chapter 19: Let Me Be Here
Chapter 20: End Of Me
Chapter 21: Write A Letter Next Time
Chapter 22: The B Word
Chapter 23: Red Scarf
Chapter 24: I Like A Little Crazy
Chapter 25: Lemonade and Non-Showers
Chapter 26: I Was So Scared
Chapter 27: What Are You Thankful For?
Chapter 28: Blue
Chapter 29: You Know What?
Chapter 30: I Don't Want Your Heart To Break For Me
Chapter 31: Save Me
Chapter 32: I'm Still Here, Vi.
Chapter 33: Growing Up
Chapter 34: You. I want you.
Chapter 35: I Fell In Love With You After
Epilogue
ANOTHER SPIN-OFF?
ANOTHER SPIN-OFF!!

Chapter 8: There's No More Room

47.6K 2K 550
De Jenleighna

-Violet-

"Violet."

The voice continued whispering my name; I almost thought I was dreaming. Then there were hands on my shoulders shaking me awake. "Violet, get up. Something weird is going on."

Nic.

"Go away. I need sleep." I grabbed a pillow and folded it over my ears.

It wasn't long before Nic snatched it from my grip and hit me in the head with it. "Mom's making pancakes."

I turned my head to the side and pushed the hair out of my face. "What? You woke me up because Mom is making pancakes? Do you know how crazy that sounds right now, Nic?"

His dumbass was actually thinking about it. To get him out of his trance, I hit him in the side with my pillow. "Okay, sorry, but seriously...why is she making pancakes?"

"Because she's hungry? I don't see any other reason she would be making pancakes, doofus."

He leaned in closer to me and dropped his voice down to a whisper. "She's singing."

Now I was interested. "She was last week too."

"Even Blue is a little freaked out."

Against my own sleeping schedule, I climbed out of bed and followed Nic into the kitchen. Gray and Blue were leaning over the bar that divided the kitchen and the living room, watching our mother sing and dance around the kitchen. Nic joined beside Blue and I stood beside Nic. By no means did our mom have a great singing voice, but at least she was passionate.

She didn't notice us all standing there. Or if she did, she didn't care.

There was an ever-growing stack of chocolate chip pancakes next to the stove where she continued to pile them on. There are four kids in this house, not forty. She cooked enough to feed the whole damn neighborhood. Instead of interrupting her, we all just watched. It brought a huge smile to my face. I've never seen her this happy before. Well, maybe when Nic and Gray graduated. But this was definitely different. The vibes coming from her all felt positive.

"Oh, good. You're all up. I made breakfast." She spoke through her smile and pushed a black curl out of her face.

"You made quite a bit, Mom." I noted with a breathy laugh.

She scanned the giant plates of pancakes and shrugged. "Believe me, they'll get eaten by my two garbage disposals." She smiled lovingly at Nic and Gray. "What do you guys have planned for today?"

"I'm going to Jordan's later." Gray said.

"Mom, you promised you'd take me to Katie's birthday party." Blue piped in.

"Sleep." Was all Nic said.

I nudged my elbow into Nic's side and he hunched over. "We can do something today. I have nothing planned." I threw her a smile.

"Sounds good to me."

She brought plates down from the cabinet and we all made a line to get pancakes. I brought mine to the table and soon everyone else joined. One thing I wish I could get from my mom was her cooking talent. I can make mac and chees and maybe spaghetti, but I get distracted too easily. I've burned so many things in a sad attempt at cooking. One day I would master it. Eh, maybe.

After breakfast I showered and changed into a pair of jeans and a sweater. There wasn't much to do with my short hair so I left it in its natural waves. I slipped on a pair of shoes and walked out to the living room to wait for my mom.

Fifteen minutes later, she came into the living room with Blue in tow behind her. "We'll drop him off at Katie's and then go to the park or something."

I stood up. "Okay."

* * *

Thirty minutes after dropping Blue off at the birthday party, my mom and I stopped for ice cream cones at a little shop downtown. It was straight across from a giant park where people liked to do their morning runs, walk their dogs, and study in the large field of grass.

We walked around the paved path that surrounded the field of grass, eating our ice cream, and enjoying light conversation. She asked about school, friends that I barely talk to, and the internship. "What about dinner last night? Did you have a good time?"

"I did." I felt my cheeks burn, "It wasn't as bad as I expected. And the food was amazing. I had to stop myself from eating too much."

She laughed. "I'm glad you had a good time and I'm glad you're enjoying the internship. How's James?"

Ever since I brought James to Mark's, she hasn't really shut up about him. She was grateful he brought me out of the rain and took me to Mark's. She's looking too deep into it. "Why don't you ask him yourself?"

"What?"

I pointed ahead and she followed my finger. James was at the turn of the path, holding on tight to a leash that held Chaos. When I first saw him, I didn't know if it was James or not. He was wearing dark jeans and a gray t-shirt. And his hair was on the messy side, not that I'm complaining. I've never seen him in casual clothes before so it was a change. A really, really good change.

Considering I look like I just rolled out of bed, I just wanted to walk past him. But my mom had other plans the closer we got to him. I stuffed the remaining bit of ice cream in my mouth as we past a trash can so I could throw the cup away.

James lifted his head from looking at Chaos and looked in our direction. The sun hit his eyes, making them bright. Even brighter when he smiled. "Weird seeing you here."

"Weird seeing you here." I retorted with a grin.

"My apartment is over there." He jerked his thumb over his shoulder with a vicious grin of his own. His gaze drifted to my mom, "It's good to see you, Ms. Bowen." He offered her his hand and she shook it with a smile.

"You too, James." She kneeled in front of Chaos, letting him sniff her hand before petting him, "What's his name?"

James's lips twitched into a smile. "Chaos."

"Chaos?" My mom repeated.

I snorted and James was watching me. "Yeah, little shi- booger earned it." He answered, his face turning red.

"I can tell." She didn't even notice James's small slip up because Chaos was jumping on her lap and licking her face. It was making my mom actually giggle. I've never heard my mom giggle before. But as Chaos and all his glorious puppy drool licked her face, she went into a small fit of giggles.

I tore my eyes away from my mom and Chaos to catch James's eyes. "Maybe I should've kept him." I whispered.

"What kind of name would he have ended up with?"

"It would be a color no doubt."

"Lucky." My mom said as she scratched behind Chaos's ears, "I'd name him Lucky, Smartass."

I put a hand over my mouth to keep my laugh inside. But that didn't stop James from laughing. It started off as a snort and then he laughed harder when he saw the look on my face. "I'm glad my mom amuses you." I grumbled and touched my flaming cheeks.

Mom stood and brushed off the front of her pants. "I amuse everyone, darling." She leaned towards me and planted a kiss on my cheek.

As much as I wanted to wipe it off like a two year-old, I just rolled my eyes. "I love you too."

"So, James," She started and James directed his gaze to her, "We were getting ready to go get burgers at Mark's." Lies, Mother, lies. "Would you like to join us?"

I liked and appreciated her effort though.

"That's really nice of you to offer, but I have to take him to the vet soon. Rain check though?"

She nodded eagerly. "Of course."

"It was good seeing you guys." He glanced between us until his eyes rested on mine, "See you Monday."

Then I nodded and he walked around us with Chaos.

Once he was out of earshot, I looped my arm through my moms and started walking. "Way to be embarrassing, Mom."

She laughed again. "I love you too, honey."

* * *

Monday was different. And not a good different.

James hasn't looked my way once. Usually he either smiles or nods his head once, but each time he's past me, he never looked up. He kept his head down while Cristin followed him everywhere. She was unusually happy too. Maybe I thought too far ahead to consider James a friend.

At lunch, James kept his doors closed.

Everyone else left the office and I stayed at my desk like I usually do. I pulled out my copy of Jane Eyre and flipped to the page my bookmark was placed. The words weren't making sense on the page at all. My mind kept drifting back to James's closed office doors. If he didn't want to go to lunch today, he should've said something.

I put the book flat on the desk and leaned over it so I wouldn't keep looking at his office doors. Instead, I tried focusing my mind on the pages in front of me. Still, nothing was making sense. It was all words that jumbled together.

The doors opened and a knot formed in my stomach.

I didn't look up as James's footsteps drew closer, and soon halted in front of my desk. "You owe me lunch."

Don't smile, Violet. Don't. Smile. "I didn't know if you still wanted to go or not."

"I'm hungry. So yes, I still want to go." I could hear the childish grin in his voice.

I closed my book and stood. "You're driving unless you want to take the bus or a smelly cab." I plucked my bag from the floor and slung it over my shoulder.

He smiled at me and I wish he didn't. "Let's go then."

We made our way out of the office, to the main floor, and to the parking garage. James walked to my side, opening the door for me and I thought I might pass out. "Uh, thanks." I nearly choked on the last word like an idiot.

He closed the door and made his way to the driver's side.

Three minutes later, we emerged onto the main road. "So," James started as we came to a stop at a red light, "where are we going?"

"There's this place called Diego's across the park we were at Saturday."

"I know Diego's. I've never been, but Meredith has."

"He's amazing. Best Taco's ever, I can promise you that."

James leaned back in his seat and dropped one hand in his lap. "I figured your favorite place was Mark's."

"It is." I didn't hesitate a second, "But you've already been there. So I'm glad you haven't been to Diego's or else my plan would've been ruined."

James laughed lightly. "I would've lied to make you feel better."

He seems to be the James I've always been around. Maybe he just wasn't having a good morning. People are allowed to have those. "You saying that makes me feel better."

When we got close, James parked a little ways down where it wasn't crowded. We got out and James was already waiting for me on the sidewalk. Diego's was on the corner of the set of buildings, right next to an antique shop. My mom loves that place too.

I stepped inside and my stomach grumbled, basically telling me to feed it. James and I stepped up behind the line of people waiting at the entrance. "We should go eat in the park." I suggested.

"Yeah, sounds like a good idea."

It took another fifteen minutes to get our food. As I went to pay, James handed the lady at the register his card. Once the food was paid for, we left and walked across the street to the park. We found and empty spot on the grass and sat down. I sat facing James, but I was seated beside him, close to his outer thigh. I crossed my feet at the ankles and held my food in my lap. "That wasn't part of the plan. I was supposed to pay."

James cocked his head to the side and his lips curved. "Did you really think I'd let you pay for my lunch?"

"That was the point of the bet."

He shrugged a shoulder. "We never said who was going to pay."

Damn it. "Thank you."

James's smile broadened, showing his perfect teeth. "You're welcome."

I returned the smile with ease.

After James took the first bite of his taco, he moaned.

I nearly choked on the bite I had in my mouth before swallowing. "Told you."

All he could do was nod, considering his mouth was full. I'll look for any excuse to go to Diego's. This was the best one.

After James finished his first taco, I spoke again. "Is everything okay?"

He looked perplexed for a second and then he nodded. "Dad's being a pain in the ass as always. This morning he called me into his office and tells me that Cristin's going to be shadowing me for the next two months. He usually picks one person to shadow him, but now it's me. Why?"

"That sucks." I murmured, "Is she that bad?"

"Worse. He said I'd get to pick the person, but clearly he only meant it to give me false hope." He smiled bitterly, "Now she follows me everywhere. Like she didn't do that already." He muttered the last sentence under his breath. "But I do get to pick where everyone else goes."

Now I was curious. "Have you decided about me yet?"

"It was a no brainer obviously."

"You can't tell me, can you?"

"Nope."

My lips thinned into a straight line and my cheeks hurt from fighting a smile. Now I was nervous and curious. Since it's clearly not him, I'm not sure who else is so obvious. I'll probably feel like an idiot when I find out. "I trust you."

"Good to know."

We finished eating, but made no move to get up. We had to be back to the office in thirty minutes, but James didn't seem to mind or care. I lay back in the grass and looked up at the cloud filled blue sky. It's been storming so much lately, I never thought I'd see blue again. James shifted beside me and lay back too. His arm accidently brushed mine and I felt that warmness fill my chest again.

I closed my eyes and took in my surroundings. The fresh earthy scent of the grass took over my senses. The smell of fall was here now. The sounds of leaves rustling together as the wind blew was one of my favorite sounds. James was so close I could feel his warmth and I could smell the faintness of his cologne.

"That cloud looks like an elephant in a dress."

My eyes opened and I followed his finger to the cloud he was pointing at. "I don't see an elephant in a dress. Looks like Santa to me."

"Santa in a dress?"

"Yeah, totally." I sat up on my elbows and looked over at him, "Shouldn't we be getting back?"

"Probably." He lifted himself on his elbows too, "Do you want to go back?"

No. "We do have work to do."

James scrunched up his nose and stood up. I mocked his actions and picked up my leftovers from lunch. On our way back to the car, we threw our trash away.

* * *

Walking back into the office together didn't go unnoticed. All eyes were on us.

Either James didn't notice or he's ignoring it. He left me at my desk and strolled into his office. He closed the doors behind him and I loosed the breath I had been holding.

Cristin appeared in front of my desk, a smile tugging on her red stained lips. "Did you guys go to lunch together?" She asked.

A wave of coolness seeped over my skin, leaving me feeling hallow. "Um, I-I don't see why that matters." I tried to keep my voice as steady as possible, but it really wasn't working out well.

She raised a brow and pursed her lips. "I was just wondering."

When I didn't answer, she tilted her head forward saying well?

"I don't think it matters if we did or not."

Cristin was getting frustrated because her lips tightened into a thin line. She flipped her hair over her shoulder and leaned both palms flat on my desk as she leaned in. "He's seeing someone you know?"

I shrugged. "What does that have to do with anything?"

The corner of her mouth tugged upwards into a smirk. "It means there's no more room."

"Room for what exactly?"

Her cheeks grew a shade pinker. "Do you think this is funny?"

"Kind of." I quipped, "I need to get back to work."

Cristin glared at me for a few seconds before realizing I dismissed her. She stomped away on her red pumps and flicked another strand of hair behind her shoulder. She opened James's office door without knocking and entered, closing it behind her.

I've always avoided girls like Cristin in school. It seems every school has the 'mean girl'. But what Cristin was trying to prove is beyond me. I would never imagine being anything more with James. Our friendship is pretty solid and I like it that way. I'm sure he doesn't look at me anymore than a friend, and that's okay with me. Cristin needs to learn that too.

And why the hell would it matter to her?

It's not like she's dating James. But she does have her claws stuck into his back, nearly controlling everything he does.

These next two months are going to be a blast.

--------------------

I didn't think you'd guys like this story that much to be honest, but I'm sooooo happy because of all the amazing support this story has been getting. I love writing it and I'm glad you guys are enjoying it. It really means a lot.

This is just the beginning of a beautiful relationship. :)

Please vote and comment, let me know your thoughts! :)

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

14M 439K 46
Fiona Harper is an angel in nearly everyone's eyes. But there is more to this good girl; she'd rather ditch class than stay up all night to finish a...
8.5M 394K 41
I, Lois Mai Reynolds, am all kinds of clumsy. I fall over flat surfaces. I drop expensive vases, and miraculously find ways to trip over thin air. No...
SUGAR De Sakz Hussain

Ficção Adolescente

2.6M 42.3K 9
Trisha Louise Lockwood. A girl who's tired of having a bad reputation. A girl who decides to change despite her challenging home situation. A girl w...
9.6M 259K 44
Ava Ramirez thought her life couldn't get any worse after managing to get deported from Japan but it does when she finds out she is getting sent back...