Charming and Awkward

By Jenleighna

James slid his hand to the nape of my neck, holding me steady against his lips. His other hand stayed on my w... More

Authors note!
Chapter 1: Don't Feel Sorry For Me
Chapter 2: Who Is That?
Chapter 3: I Want Attention Too
Chapter 4: And You Could Fire Me
Chapter 5: Puns Are Stupid
Chapter 7: Chaos
Chapter 8: There's No More Room
Chapter 9: He Doesn't Trust Me
Chapter 10: Sand On Your Cheek
Chapter 11: Having Trouble Breathing
Chapter 12: Take Me Home
Chapter 13: Will We Figure This Out?
Chapter 14: Your Boss Sounds Like a Jackass
Chapter 15: I Want You To Come Find Me
Chapter 16: Cuddle With Me Instead
Chapter 17: You're Not Here With Me
Chapter 18: All In
Chapter 19: Let Me Be Here
Chapter 20: End Of Me
Chapter 21: Write A Letter Next Time
Chapter 22: The B Word
Chapter 23: Red Scarf
Chapter 24: I Like A Little Crazy
Chapter 25: Lemonade and Non-Showers
Chapter 26: I Was So Scared
Chapter 27: What Are You Thankful For?
Chapter 28: Blue
Chapter 29: You Know What?
Chapter 30: I Don't Want Your Heart To Break For Me
Chapter 31: Save Me
Chapter 32: I'm Still Here, Vi.
Chapter 33: Growing Up
Chapter 34: You. I want you.
Chapter 35: I Fell In Love With You After
Epilogue
ANOTHER SPIN-OFF?
ANOTHER SPIN-OFF!!

Chapter 6: Just Stop The Car!

47.1K 2K 353
By Jenleighna

-Violet-

When I walked onto the fifth floor Monday morning, everyone was crowded by the bulletin board. I dropped my bag by my desk and joined the others. "What's going on?" I asked Rob standing next to me.

"Dinner party at the main mans house this Friday." He answered.

"Mr. Roedan?"

"That would be him."

My heart was thudding hard against my chest and my stomach was in knots. I walked away from the crowd and sat at my desk. A dinner party? And why were the interns invited? I don't have anything to wear to a dinner party. How do you even act at a dinner party?

I'm tragic.

But it's okay, I have until Friday to figure it out. I'm sure I will, I figure everything out. Well, except a problem on a math test I had last week...

I looked at James's office and he had his doors open. He usually did unless he had to make phone calls. He was sitting at his desk, scribbling down on papers with his other hand plastered against his forehead. I wonder if it's safe to call James a friend after last Thursday. Even if he is my boss, I think it is safe. There are people that are friends with their bosses. There's nothing wrong with friendship.

Cristin sauntered down the center of the two rows of desks, swinging her hips as she always does. The pencil skirt she decided to wear today looked two sizes too small and same with the blouse. She walked into James's office and he looked up. I couldn't hear what they were saying, not that I really wanted to.

Just as James was standing, Cristin closed the doors to his office.

I ignored the thoughts in my head and did work on the computer. I really wanted to work somewhere else today. Last week I got to work in the mail department. It may sound boring as hell, but it was really fun. And the people there are a lot of fun. They're always laughing, but keep to their work. A desk job isn't for me, but I'll do whatever I have to.

A few minutes later, his office doors opened again. Cristin walked out and James followed her. As they walked down the center, James came to a stop at my desk. I was a bit surprised and I think he noticed because he chuckled lightly. "Why did the bicycle fall over?" He asked in a small whisper.

"Why?"

"Because it was two-tired."

It took me a second and I slowly smiled.

James walked off and followed Cristin into the elevator.

* * *

At lunch, everyone left except James. He was still sitting in his office. I felt like a complete idiot just staring, but I couldn't help it. When he was concentrating too hard, his forehead would wrinkle and his lips would slightly part.

He dropped the pen down and I looked away too quickly.

I pretended to read when I heard his footsteps.

"Not hungry?"

"I've eaten two bags of candy in the past hour." I closed my book and caught his icy gaze, "I think if I eat anything else I'll probably explode."

"That would be a mess." His lips curved, "Mind if I sit with you?"

"Not at all." I answered before my mind could even process what he asked.

James didn't notice my quickness and pulled a chair up so he was sitting in front of my desk. "Did you see the post about the dinner?" He asked, propping his feet up on the corner of my desk behind the computer.

"Yeah, I saw it this morning. I'm surprised the interns were invited."

"It's mainly for the interns and a few people higher up. He has one every year."

"That's nice of him."

James shrugged a shoulder. "It's for show. He likes the attention."

"And you don't?"

He clasped his hands over his stomach and the corner of his mouth perked slightly. "For the right reasons I do. Don't you?"

I quickly shook my head. "Absolutely not. Once the attention is on me, something always goes wrong."

"Humor me."

Did he really want to know every embarrassing detail? Some of my stories have been hits with friends and family. With James it felt the same. Like I could tell him anything. "I was in a play in the first grade and I only had one line. You'd think it'd be impossible to screw up. When I walked to the front of the stage, I tripped and fell straight on my face. Lost both of my front teeth and had a bloody nose. Wasn't really my finest moment."

James smiled.

"Oh, and we can't forget the time I almost fell when I first met you."

"The highlight of my week to be honest." His broad smile made my cheeks burn.

"Reasons why I'd rather the attention be on someone else. At least I won't have to worry about making an ass out of myself in public." I rushed in one breath.

James was laughing now until his cheeks turned red.

"I can't believe I just said that." I groaned, putting my hands to my own cheeks. They grew hotter under my touch and I wanted to disappear.

His laughing subsided into breathy laughs. "I can't believe you said that."

"I'm glad you got a kick out of it." I covered my face with my hands, hoping that would hide me and help me disappear.

I felt James's warm fingers around my wrists, pulling my hands away from my face. "It's okay. This isn't elementary school. You're allowed to say ass, Violet." He was still laughing at me.

"Good to know." It wasn't until I looked up I realized how close he was.

He did too, because he quickly dropped my wrists and leaned back in his chair. "Believe me, I've said worse here. Especially over the phone." He snorted, "Besides, it was hilarious."

"Your dad wouldn't find it so hilarious."

"My dad doesn't find anything funny. His sense of humor is dryer than a desert. But he does have this fake laugh that sounds like this—" James sat up straight and laughed deeply. It was odd hearing it coming from James.

Now I was laughing again. "He seriously does that?"

"I swear you'll hear it at least five times on Friday. I guarantee it."

"Is that a bet?"

James leaned over the desk with a taunting grin playing on his lips. "I bet you my dad fake laughs at least five times before Friday night dinner is over."

"And if he doesn't?"

"I owe you lunch at my favorite place."

"If he does?"

His grin widened. "You owe me lunch at yours."

I narrowed my eyes, hesitated a moment, then stuck my hand in his direction. "You have a bet then."

His large hand enveloped my smaller one, wrapping his fingers tight around mine. "I hope you're prepared to lose."

It is his dad, but hey, it's just lunch. "I'm prepared to win."

He dropped my hand and leaned back in his chair. "We'll see about that." He ran a hand through his dark hair and sighed, "It's probably going to storm again. Do you need a ride home?"

I was a bit caught off guard by his question. "N-no. You don't have to do that—"

"Violet," He laughed and leaned back over my desk, "I told you it wouldn't be a problem. You'll get sick if you keep waiting in the rain."

I let myself smile. "If it's raining, I would appreciate it if you could give me a ride home."

"Great." He rose from the chair and pushed it back to where it belonged, "I have a lot of phone calls to make now." He started walking to his office and he sent a wave over his shoulder.

* * *

James was right. It was storming again thirty minutes before I had to leave.

I leaned on my elbow, watching the storm stir outside of the windows across the room. My work was already done for the day thank god. The clock behind my head ticked slowly, it almost sounded like an echo in my head. Everyone else was rushing quietly to get their work done.

When the clock struck three, I shut down my computer and picked my bag up from the floor. I stood and threw it over my shoulder. James came out of his office, but was immediately bombarded by Cristin. Instead of waiting for him, I walked to the elevator with everyone else. He wasn't on with Cristin by the time the doors closed.

Everyone rushed off the elevator the moment it opened up on the main floor. I could see through the front doors that the storm was only raging with more force. I sat in one of the chairs by the door, hoping James would make an appearance soon. It wouldn't be a problem to catch the bus and I contemplated doing that instead.

Ten minutes later, the elevator opened again and James stepped off without Cristin in tow. As he drew closer, I stood up. "You still don't mind?" I asked, playing with my fingers absentmindedly.

He smiled and fished his keys out of his pocket. "No. Let's go." He jerked his head in the direction to his right and started walking. It took me three long steps to catch up with him. We walked down a long hallway, made a right, a left, one more right until we came to a set of metal doors. James pushed it open, letting me out first. I emerged onto a longer sidewalk covered by an awning and texturized screens. The rain was only a mist as we walked through.

We were met with another set of doors and this time I opened them. James walked through and I followed as we entered the employee-parking garage. And of course, James's car was right by the door next to his dad's and his mom's.

He unlocked it and I walked around the car to get inside.

James climbed in, started the car, and backed out.

It only took a few minutes to get out of the parking garage and onto the main road. He let out a sigh and slumped a little in his seat. "Do you want me to take you to Mark's again?"

"Uh, no. My mom's not working there tonight. You can just take me to my house. I know a back road that'll get you there quicker."

"Okay," He replied.

I directed him, telling him where to go until we made it onto the empty back road. "I thought it be easier with the storm and everything."

He nodded his head. "Didn't think about that. But I'm probably the calmest driver you'll ever meet."

"Not my mom or my older brothers. Tempers from hell."

"I'm the only calm driver in my family."

The rain started to subside, but continued to pelt hard against the windshield.

Rain is a soothing sound, even more to me in a car. I don't know, there's just something about the sound that makes me want to curl in bed with a good book or movie. Maybe hot chocolate or tea.

Now that's what I really want to do.

Something dark crossed my vision as James drove. There was something in the road and James hadn't noticed. My heart raced and I grabbed James's arm. "Stop!"

"Violet—"

"Just stop the car!"

James hit the breaks and I had my seat belt off before the car stopped completely. He was calling my name as I flung the door open and jumped out. I slammed the door behind me and was instantly drenched. I didn't care at the moment and I couldn't see through my glasses.

But on the side of the road, I saw the black thing I spotted moments ago. I used the sleeve of my jacket to swipe the lenses of my glasses as I ran. A black lab, no bigger than a puppy, lay curled on the shoulder of the road. The puppy stood as I approached. I leaned on my knees and held a hand out for the puppy.

It reluctantly stepped forward, sniffed my hand, and leaned into it. I breathed and my lips curved.

"Violet, what the hell—" James's voice was cut off.

The puppy was small enough to fit in the crook of my arm. I cradled it close, using my jacket to shield it from the rain. James's hands were on my shoulders, lifting me up from the ground and walking me back to his car. He opened the passenger door and helped me inside before closing it and jogging back to the driver's side. "You scared the shit out of me." James breathed.

I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat. "I'm sorry." The puppy emerged from behind my jacket, curling in my lap. It was shaking too hard. I did my best to get to my bag and pull out my scarf I've kept in it. I folded it over and wrapped it around the puppy's small body.

James turned on the heat.

"Is there something wrong?"

"No, just cold." I brushed a palm down the top of its head. "No collar either."

"What should we do?" James put the car in drive again and drove away.

"We're only five minutes away from my house."

As James drove, I gave him more directions. We came off the back road and my house was only two minutes away now. At this point I really didn't care if he saw where I lived.

James parked in the driveway and jumped out. He ran to my side and I handed him the puppy. I grabbed my bag and followed him up my driveway until we reached the front door. My keys were in the front pocket when I remembered to put them there and thankfully I did. Our front door could be the biggest pain in the ass sometimes.

I nudged it with my shoulder and the door opened. James hurried inside with the huddled puppy and I was close behind. I ran ahead so I could show him where the bathroom was. While I ran warm water in the bathtub, I walked across the hall to gather towels. A lot of towels.

When I came back, James was sitting on the closed toilet, looking down at the puppy cuddled in his arms. He looked up when I came in. "What are you going to do with him?"

"Him?"

"I checked."

Makes sense. "I don't know yet."

James handed him to me and it was then I noticed he was covered in more mud than I imagined. "Do you think he belongs to anyone?"

All I could do was shrug.

I kneeled in front of the bathtub and sat him in gently. "There's dog shampoo under the sink."

James got up and looked under the sink for the shampoo. It only took him a few seconds and he handed it to me. "Did you have a dog?" He asked as he kneeled beside me.

"A really long time ago. She was really old though. My mom never got rid of the shampoo." Molly was an amazing dog too. Full of life always.

After the puppy was all clean, James opened a towel and wrapped him up in it. I stood in front of James, leaning close to the puppy in his arms to touch his nose. He responded, licking my finger and it made me smile. "He's so cute."

"I can't believe you jumped out of moving vehicle." James's deep voice was closer than I anticipated.

I scratched behind the puppy's ears. "It was nearly stopped."

"Nearly."

"This little guy was worth it." He had the biggest blue eyes and I was currently melting inside, "My mom is going to kill me."

"Maybe he'll use his cute puppy face and get you out of trouble."

"I'll only get out of trouble if I had a cute puppy face." Sadness filled me, "I can't keep him."

James shifted the puppy in his arms and he released a little bark. It made us both laugh. I scratched under the puppy's little chin and he got excited.

"If I give you the address of an animal shelter, could you take him there? Please?" I took a chance and looked at James finally. My breath hitched. We were too close in this tiny ass bathroom and I couldn't back up. "It's one I used to volunteer at a lot."

James's expression softened and he nodded. "I can do that."

"Thank you."

"Uh, Violet? Who's car is in the—" Gray's voice halted and so did his footsteps in front of the bathroom doorway.

I was still looking up at James when James turned his head to see my brother standing in the doorway. "It's mine."

Now I took a chance and looked at Gray. He glared at James for no reason. If it weren't for James, I'd be stuck in the rain. "Gray, he brought me home because it was storming. Don't be an ass."

Gray slightly grinned at me then pointed to the puppy in James's arms. "Should I even ask?"

When I opened my mouth to speak, I didn't even know what to say. But thank god James answered because I felt like a fish out of water. "We found him on the side of the road cold and covered in mud. I'm going to take him to a shelter." I'm glad he didn't mention the part where I jumped out of the car like a mad woman.

Gray's gaze drifted to James. "Thanks for bringing her home. I wouldn't want her to wait in the rain for the bus either." He sent a nod in James's direction and James returned it. Gray gave me a look before walking down the hall.

The puppy was fast asleep in James's arms now. "Just think, if you didn't take me home we wouldn't have found him."

"I know." James touched the top of his head, "I guess I should go."

"Yeah." I said softly, "Thank you for bringing me home."

I walked James out to his car and helped him nestle the puppy in the passenger seat. The rain has turned into a mere drizzle by now, but I made sure he was wrapped up extra tight for the ride. James hurried to turn on the heat to get the car warmed up so he didn't freeze. The last thing I wanted was for the puppy to get sick. Or James for that matter because he was still soaked too. "I hope they find him a good home." I frowned.

"I'm sure they will." James smiled, "I'll see you Thursday."

As James backed out of the driveway, I felt something stir inside me. A fist squeezed my heart and wouldn't let go.

----------

Already saving puppies together :') hahahaha. Anyway, I really liked this chapter when I wrote it because they're finally bonding more. I just finished chapter 13 and y'all are gonna love it as it goes on, I really hope anyway lol.

Please vote and comment, let me know what you think! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91.8M 2.9M 134
He was so close, his breath hit my lips. His eyes darted from my eyes to my lips. I stared intently, awaiting his next move. His lips fell near my ea...
4M 161K 69
Highest rank: #1 in Teen-Fiction and sci-fi romance, #1 mindreader, #2 humor Aaron's special power might just be the coolest- or scariest- thing ever...
53.9M 1.3M 70
after a prank gone terribly wrong, hayden jones is sent across country to caldwell academy, a school for the bitchy, the dangerous and the rebellious...