Charming and Awkward

By Jenleighna

James slid his hand to the nape of my neck, holding me steady against his lips. His other hand stayed on my w... More

Authors note!
Chapter 1: Don't Feel Sorry For Me
Chapter 2: Who Is That?
Chapter 3: I Want Attention Too
Chapter 5: Puns Are Stupid
Chapter 6: Just Stop The Car!
Chapter 7: Chaos
Chapter 8: There's No More Room
Chapter 9: He Doesn't Trust Me
Chapter 10: Sand On Your Cheek
Chapter 11: Having Trouble Breathing
Chapter 12: Take Me Home
Chapter 13: Will We Figure This Out?
Chapter 14: Your Boss Sounds Like a Jackass
Chapter 15: I Want You To Come Find Me
Chapter 16: Cuddle With Me Instead
Chapter 17: You're Not Here With Me
Chapter 18: All In
Chapter 19: Let Me Be Here
Chapter 20: End Of Me
Chapter 21: Write A Letter Next Time
Chapter 22: The B Word
Chapter 23: Red Scarf
Chapter 24: I Like A Little Crazy
Chapter 25: Lemonade and Non-Showers
Chapter 26: I Was So Scared
Chapter 27: What Are You Thankful For?
Chapter 28: Blue
Chapter 29: You Know What?
Chapter 30: I Don't Want Your Heart To Break For Me
Chapter 31: Save Me
Chapter 32: I'm Still Here, Vi.
Chapter 33: Growing Up
Chapter 34: You. I want you.
Chapter 35: I Fell In Love With You After
Epilogue
ANOTHER SPIN-OFF?
ANOTHER SPIN-OFF!!

Chapter 4: And You Could Fire Me

60.8K 2.1K 810
By Jenleighna

-Violet-

"Vi-Vi." The small voice whispered and poked my cheek. When I didn't move, I felt something warm and wet swipe across my cheek.

I was awake now. "Blue, did you just lick me?"

He giggled. "Yes."

"Are you a dog now?"

He nodded and climbed down off of my bed. "You wouldn't wake up."

"That doesn't mean you need to lick me!" I tossed the blankets from my body and Blue grabbed my hand. He pulled me into the kitchen with all his tiny strength and had me fix him a bowl of Cheerios.

Nic, my second oldest brother at nineteen, came into the kitchen with disheveled brown hair. He's tall, had strong features, and I hated him for it. While my brothers were blessed with the tall gene, there wasn't any left for me. "Were you out all night again?"

A grin graced his sleepy lips. "What makes you think that?"

I narrowed my eyes and glared. "You have a hicky the size of my fist." I wrapped my fingers together and showed him my fist, "And it's on the side of your neck. Your boss is going to kill you."

"I'll just use some of your make-up, it's not a big deal." He kissed the top of my head and walked around me in our small kitchen. Nic and Gray always looked so out of place in our kitchen because of the monstrous height.

My family isn't exactly normal. And it doesn't help when we're named after colors. My oldest brother's name is actually Grayson, but we call him Gray. Nic's name is Onyx, but for as long as I can remember, we've called him Nic. Then me, Violet, and my adorable six year-old little brother, Blue. I don't know why my mom thought it was a good idea. She used to be an artist and that's her excuse she gives.

Our mom is the rock of this family. Without her we wouldn't be here of course. She holds us all together, makes sure we do our homework, and other motherly duties. She hated the idea of Gray and Nic moving out soon. They haven't been able to because of our money situation. Things have been hard, but we've always managed together.

I can't even imagine them moving out. The freedom I'd get would be fantastic, but it wouldn't be as fun if I wanted to sneak out.

Gray came into the kitchen, fully dressed for work. "Do you need a ride, V?"

"Yeah, it won't take me long to get ready."

Things I've learned while living with a large family in a small house, with only two bathrooms, is to shower before I go to bed. If I waited to shower in the morning, I'd never get a chance to. One of the bathrooms is in my mom's room, so technically we only one bathroom to use.

That's not fun in the morning.

Another thing is laying my clothes out the previous night instead of destroying my closet in the morning because I couldn't find anything to wear. Last night I picked out my go-to black skinny jeans, an off white sweater, and flats. It feels like a professional outfit. Especially compared to what that girl Cristin was wearing.

Once I was dressed, I put on a little bit of make-up and pinned my hair back out of my face. I picked my glasses up off my bedside table and put them on before grabbing my bag and leaving my room.

Gray was already waiting by the door with a small smile.

I love him to death, but sometimes I wanted to kick his ass.

It was nearly a twenty-minute drive from where we live to Roedan Advertising. Gray was talking my ear off about some new video game that just came into work early. I leaned my head against the glass and closed my eyes, hoping to make the trip go by a little faster.

Gray pulled to a stop in front of the towering building with the name Roedan plastered on it. "Do you need me to pick you up?"

"I'll catch the bus. If something happens, I'll call you." I got out of the car and slung my bag across my chest. "I'll see you later."

He smiled and waved.

I closed the door and turned to face the building. It's my second day and I was excited, but also nervous. I wasn't sure why exactly, but it settled in my stomach like a rock.

Linda, the lady at the front desk, gave me a warm smile and slid my badge to me. I returned the smile and walked around her desk to scan my way through. People were already bustling around the main floor. Some had smiles and some...well, they looked thoroughly pissed off.

I walked across the bright white tiles until I reached the elevator. When it opened, people piled out and more of us piled in. It was a short ride to the fifth floor, but the elevator made a stop on every floor before it.

The fifth floor was quiet when I stepped out of the elevator. I walked down the hallway and I started to hear people talking. As much as it's probably good to be the first one here, I don't want to be. I'm still early, but not early enough to be the first one here.

Cristin was already here, talking to some of the interns. She wiggled her fingers in my direction and I awkwardly waved back. Girls like her are what I avoid in school. It's surprising that they actually do exist.

My desk was furthest away from James's office because it's the one I picked. I wanted to be secluded so I could work easier. It seems some of the others don't know how to be quiet most of the time. They may get their work done, but not in a timely manner. I'd rather do it and show them that I am capable and not to regret giving me this internship.

* * *

An hour later, James's assistant was standing next to me at my desk. "James would like to see you in his office."

A lump formed in my throat. "Okay."

Justin smiled and stepped back so I could stand. I felt eyes on me as I followed Justin to James's office. My chest tightened and my cheeks burned. Was I in trouble already? Am I going to get dismissed?

Oh, gosh.

Justin opened the door and I slipped through the opening. James stood on the other side of his large office, piling papers together. He looked over his shoulder and back to the papers. "I need a favor."

I looked to my side, but Justin was gone. "What is it?"

He lifted the stack and walked up to me. "Could you take these to the fourteenth floor for me? I'd do it myself, but I have loads of paperwork to do."

Is it sad that I was actually relieved? "Of course."

"Thank you." He placed the stack of papers in my hands. "Just a warning, I'll probably have more for you today."

"I can handle that." I breathed a laugh. "Let me know if you need anything else."

When I started walking back to the door, I counted my steps so I didn't stumble and fall like I did the first time I met James. I didn't fall, but I wasn't exactly graceful either.

As I made my way back through the office, I felt more at ease even though I could still feel the eyes of the other interns. The pressure on my chest seized and I let go of my breath.

It took me fifteen minutes to get to the fourteenth floor and back. While I was sitting at my desk, Cristin sauntered over with an unnatural sway to her hips. She leaned over the front of the desk and dropped her voice down to a whisper. "Hi, I'm Cristin. You're Violet, right?"

The words got lost on their way up so all I could do it nod.

"Do you want to go get lunch together later? I know this fantastic little bistro down the street."

I couldn't speak, but I did know I didn't want to go.

She leaned her head forward, beckoning for an answer.

"I can't." I said quickly, "Sorry, I just have a lot of homework to catch up on. Maybe some other time though."

She smiled and stood up straight. "Sounds like a plan."

My mind was all over the place. I'm not sure why she wants to have lunch with me exactly, but it could be a good opportunity to make a friend at least. I'm good at working with people, but when it comes to small talk and actual socializing, I become a fumbling mess.

It seems easy to talk to James though. Even if he is my boss, I feel like he could be my friend here. When I looked into his eyes, I see a blue so pale they could almost be gray. Almost like a cloudy, stormy sky with more vibrancy. His eyes are friendly and never cold like the color they possess.

I could tell he feels sorry for me without knowing too much about me. It's something I always avoid when meeting new people. I don't want to tell them that my dad left us when my mom was pregnant with Blue, or that I can't sleep at night because of my restless mind.

Wanting normalcy is common for me. Sometimes I look at my life and think I couldn't ask for anything else and then other times I'm curious about what other's live like. I definitely wouldn't trade my family for anything in the world. Just some aspects of my life I wish could be different.

Like the unexpected anxiety and panic attacks, a normal sleeping schedule, and not a care in the world.

But it doesn't work that way. It's never worked that way.

I felt a dull ache between my brows and I rose from my desk. Placing my fingers on the spot, I rubbed and walked to the break room. As you're coming off the elevator, it's down the hallway to your right. It was empty, thank god. Someone already made fresh coffee, which was another bonus. I poured myself a cup, added cream and sugar and finally took a sip.

Hopefully the caffeine will wake my ass up and get rid of the throbbing in my temples.

The warmness of the coffee enveloped me and the tension in my head was slowly subsiding. I drank what was left without burning myself and threw the cup away. I felt much better now. Headaches are the biggest inconvenience.

As I rounded the corner, I slammed into another body and fell straight on my ass. A groan tumbled from my lips and I winced. "I'm sorry-"

"No, I'm sorry." James said quickly, "Are you okay?" He started to reach for my hand, but I got up on my own.

"I'm fine. I just need to learn to watch where I'm going." I laughed nervously and looked into his eyes. "It wouldn't be a day without me landing a bruise somewhere."

His smile lit up his face. "I'll take the blame for it this time, but I'll hold you responsible for the next."

I knew I was blushing without having to look. "There will definitely be a next time, so heads up."

"Literally." He teased, "I was just looking for you actually. I have another beautiful stack of papers that need to be taken to the tenth floor this time."

My heart stuttered. "And by beautiful stack, you mean-"

"Hideous." He grinned and gestured for me to follow him.

We made our way back through the quiet office and straight to his private office at the end. I stood in the middle while James retreated to his desk to grab a manila folder. "This will be the last trip today, I promise."

"I don't mind." I smiled a little and took the folder. "It gives me an excuse to stretch my legs." I joked.

His smile widened. "Well thank you for doing this."

"It's my job, you don't have to thank me."

"You could refuse." He played.

"And you could fire me."

James's eyes glistened with mischief. "Touché."

I felt my lips twitch, but I hid my smile. I turned around and walked right back out of his office. When I was out of view, I finally smiled.

* * *

Everyone has finally gone to lunch and I was left alone. I pulled out my English book from my bag and started to work on a packet of worksheets that were assigned for the week. And on top of that, I have a major test tomorrow I need to study for. I'll fit in school wherever possible. School is very important to me. If I see an opportunity to fit in homework, I'll probably do it.

Just like I'm doing now.

I couldn't deny that I liked the quiet that fell over the fifth floor. I'm pretty sure that girl Cristin never stopped talking and it's not professional. She's gorgeous, so there's that too. She probably gets away with a lot.

Before I could get too deep in my homework, I made a short trip to the first floor to get something from the vending machines and a bottle of water. I sat back down at my desk and went to work on my homework while snaking on a small bag of pretzels. They're the best snack in my opinion.

I used my knuckle to push up my falling glasses and leaned over my book. The worksheet packet wasn't hard at all. It didn't take long for me to finish one of them. Just five more left and I'll be ready for tomorrow.

As I made it to the next worksheet, the sound of a door opening to my left made me jump a little. James stepped out of his office, his eyebrows rising in surprise to see me. He started walking down the center of the desks and I stuffed another pretzel in my mouth. I didn't even realize he didn't go to lunch with everyone else. I'm not very observant sometimes. "Didn't go to lunch?"

I pointed to my pretzels and my English book. After swallowing the pretzel I just ate, I spoke. "I have to study for a test tomorrow. Can't afford any bad grades."

"I've seen your transcript. You have better grades than anyone here including myself."

I looked back down at my book and laughed a little. "Then maybe you should be studying."

"That would be the logical thing to do, but I have a really poor excuse for logic."

I lifted my head and caught his gaze. It should be wrong to find your boss this attractive. He had a strong beauty that filtered through his features evenly. With the added button down shirt and the easy smile, it was too hard to look away. "That's logical."

James chuckled lightly. "I'll let you get back to studying then."

I gave him the best smile I could and he walked away. I did quite enjoy James's company. He was too easy to talk to and seemed to always be happy. I'm not sure if the happiness is always pure, but it felt easier to be around a person when they're smiling.

* * *

I finally got home at a decent hour. It was almost four when I got home.

Blue was sitting on the couch watching cartoons and I could hear my mom's singing voice coming from her room down the hall. It must have been a good day today and that brought a smile to my face.

I greeted Blue first before dropping my bag down beside the couch and walking down the hall to find my mom. She was in her bathroom, fixing her hair. She saw me in the mirror and smiled wide. "Hi, Honey." She sat the curling iron down long enough to kiss my cheek. "How was your second day?"

"It was pretty good." I answered and sat down on the closed toilet lid, "I like this internship better than I expected to."

"That's great." She curled one last strand and unplugged the curling iron, "How's your boss?"

"What do you mean?"

"Is he an asshole?" She glanced at me and saw the look on my face before adding, "To put it nicely, Vi."

I snorted. "No, Mom. He's really nice."

She put a dab of makeup on her finger and rubbed it on her cheek first. "Good. I don't need you stressed out anymore than you already are."

I smiled sadly. "You're the one I'm worried about. How's your blood pressure today?"

"It's normal today. It was an easy day at work this morning and I just took my medicine a few minutes ago. I'll need it working for Mark." She rolled her eyes, "He's a good man, but a pain in the ass."

Mark's the owner at the small café down the street. My mom has been working for him since we moved here six years ago. He's a single father of two girls close to my age and he treats us like we're his own. He's basically the only father I've had. My biological father was a poor excuse. But I like Mark and he treats my mom with respect. Sometimes he can be a bit pushy during the dinner rush, but my mom loves working for him.

"I'm glad you're feeling better today."

"Me too." She finished up the last bit of makeup and stepped in front of me, "It's good to see your smile too." She leaned down and kissed my forehead, "I love you."

"I love you too."

She checked her reflection again and sighed. "Kayla said she'd babysit Blue tonight if you have a lot of homework."

"All I have to do is give him chocolate milk and sit him in front of the TV with SpongeBob playing on a loop. He'll be fine."

She laughed. "Make sure he finishes his homework too please."

"I will."

I stood and followed her into the living room. She kissed Blue's cheek and told him to be good for me. "I'll be back before midnight, but I want you both in bed before then."

I nodded and she left.

When I heard the door click together, I plopped down next to Blue on the couch. I slumped and let out a long sigh. "What'd you learn in school today?"

His eyes were set on the TV and he had a cookie hanging out of his mouth. He took a bite and wrinkled his little nose. "That you're not supposed to bite your friends."

As much as I wanted to laugh, I didn't. "You're almost seven, you shouldn't be biting people." Then I mumbled, "Well, you shouldn't be biting people anyway."

"Jacob stole my pencil." He exasperated, "He wouldn't let go, so I bit his arm." Then he shrugged like it was the common thing to do.

"So if someone gives me trouble at school, you'll give me permission to bite them?"

Blue finally looked away from the TV. His big brown eyes were filled with too much mischief. "Yes."

I ruffled my fingers through his floppy brown curls and laughed. "Thanks, buddy."

* * *

My mom was screaming again. Everything was dark and my door was locked. Gray and Nic were whispering. Nic's arms tightened around my shoulders and I shook. Another sob wracked my body and Gray shushed me softly.

Dad was yelling again. He was saying something about Gray's homework and then mentioned money.

A loud clash echoed through the house and I jumped in Nic's arms. "It's okay, Vi." He cooed.

Mom screamed again, another breaking dish, and a loud thump hitting the floor.

Gray's hand touched my hair softly and my face was wet with tears. I felt Nic jerk under me and one of his tears fell on my cheek. Gray wrapped both of his arms around us. I clung to Nic and he clung to me. Gray clung to both of us.

The front door slammed and Mom started crying.

Loud, choked out sobs.

Nic moved slightly, putting his hands over my ears. I squeezed my eyes shut and counted to ten. When I couldn't open my eyes, I counted to ten again. Another ten later, I finally opened them and leaned back away from Nic. He dropped his hands from my ears.

"It's okay." Gray whispered, "It's over."

I hiccupped and nodded my head.

"Do you want to sleep in our room tonight?" Nic asked in a small voice.

I managed to nod again and stand.

Nic and Gray where right behind me. Gray went to the door first and unlocked it. He peeked out through a small crack and then made an 'all clear' sign. Nic gripped my small hand tight and hurried to run across the hall to their room.

Our mom would be in here soon to sleep too.

I woke up and sucked in a heavy breath. I was invited into the darkness and comfort of my room. It took me a second to shake off the chills of my dream. I couldn't move for a few minutes and then I finally stretched my fingers out.

This happens more often than I care to admit.

It was horrible when we were little. Of course Blue wasn't even born yet. Our dad left before he was born six years ago. And that's the last memory I have of our dad. It was a memory that was turned into a nightmare.

I threw the covers from my body and stumbled out of bed. My bare feet touched the wooden floors and I shivered. The bright red letters on my alarm clock read 3:47 A.M. I walked down the long hallway and stopped in front of my mom's door. This is probably a bad idea. I don't want to worry her, but I didn't want to be left alone in the dark.

The door was cracked, so I pushed it open. I padded across her room until I reached the edge of her bed. She was asleep on the left, so I walked to the right side and slipped in. She stirred a little. "Violet?" She whispered.

"Yeah, Mom."

"Is it..." Her voice trailed off.

"Yeah."

She wrapped me up in her arms immediately. "You don't have to worry. I'd never let anything happen to you guys."

"I know."

She brushed her fingers through my hair and I fell back asleep in minutes.

----------------

This was pretty much a filler, but you have a little look into Violet's life. The next chapter is one of my favorites so far and it's where to story will start to pick up a little. :)

Please vote and comment, let me know what you think! Feedback is always appreciated. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.2M 283K 50
Madeline Stone knows where her future is heading-her family has that part all figured out. On her twenty-first birthday she is stealing a few moment...
8.5M 394K 41
I, Lois Mai Reynolds, am all kinds of clumsy. I fall over flat surfaces. I drop expensive vases, and miraculously find ways to trip over thin air. No...
22.9M 511K 26
There are two things Harper Lynch wasn't expecting when she made out with an attractive stranger at her aunt's wedding. One: He would show up on her...
584K 18.8K 62
"Awe, what's the matter, Princess? Cat got your tongue?" Sin smirked. "I am not a Princess," I declared. He smiled and stepped closer to whisper in m...