Charming and Awkward

By Jenleighna

James slid his hand to the nape of my neck, holding me steady against his lips. His other hand stayed on my w... More

Authors note!
Chapter 1: Don't Feel Sorry For Me
Chapter 3: I Want Attention Too
Chapter 4: And You Could Fire Me
Chapter 5: Puns Are Stupid
Chapter 6: Just Stop The Car!
Chapter 7: Chaos
Chapter 8: There's No More Room
Chapter 9: He Doesn't Trust Me
Chapter 10: Sand On Your Cheek
Chapter 11: Having Trouble Breathing
Chapter 12: Take Me Home
Chapter 13: Will We Figure This Out?
Chapter 14: Your Boss Sounds Like a Jackass
Chapter 15: I Want You To Come Find Me
Chapter 16: Cuddle With Me Instead
Chapter 17: You're Not Here With Me
Chapter 18: All In
Chapter 19: Let Me Be Here
Chapter 20: End Of Me
Chapter 21: Write A Letter Next Time
Chapter 22: The B Word
Chapter 23: Red Scarf
Chapter 24: I Like A Little Crazy
Chapter 25: Lemonade and Non-Showers
Chapter 26: I Was So Scared
Chapter 27: What Are You Thankful For?
Chapter 28: Blue
Chapter 29: You Know What?
Chapter 30: I Don't Want Your Heart To Break For Me
Chapter 31: Save Me
Chapter 32: I'm Still Here, Vi.
Chapter 33: Growing Up
Chapter 34: You. I want you.
Chapter 35: I Fell In Love With You After
Epilogue
ANOTHER SPIN-OFF?
ANOTHER SPIN-OFF!!

Chapter 2: Who Is That?

68.9K 2.2K 645
By Jenleighna

-James-

The next day, I was finally given an office on the fifth floor. It was the biggest office and I was left in charge. Clearly there wasn't anyone on this floor because it was reserves specifically for the interns.

Today I had to make phone calls to the ten lucky people. Orientation will be on Monday and my dad is supposed to be there along with my mom. They could barely be in the same room together for five minutes, we'll see how they deal with two hours and surrounded by high school students.

This morning my dad assigned me an assistant. It wasn't necessary, but it was nice to have someone on this floor with me. He was older than me by ten years, but he's worked for my dad since he's started the company. I was only a toddler when my mom and dad built this company.

"Hey, Justin," I called from my office.

He appeared in the doorway in a matter of seconds. "Yes?"

"Is there any way you could get me a coffee?"

"Of course." He smiled a little. "Cream or sugar?"

I lightly shook my head. "Thank you so much."

The first name on my stack of applications was a girl named Whitney. It only took three rings for her to answer her phone and then when I told her, she screamed. Like blood curdling, boy band concert screaming. She did apologize afterwards and I told her I'd see her Monday at eight in the morning.

On my second phone call, Justin came in with my coffee. "Thank you."

He nodded once and left again.

Whitney was the only one that actually screamed on the phone. The other two girls that I called probably held it in until I hung up if they screamed at all. It was okay to get excited, but my poor ear was in danger of too much excitement.

The last name on the pile was Violet. I dialed the number she had written down and let it ring. Just when I thought no one was going to answer, there was a click and a husky hello.

"Is Violet Bowen available?"

"This is her brother. Who's calling?"

"James Roedan. I'm calling about the internship Violet applied for."

The line was quiet and I almost thought he hung up. There was talking in the background, but I couldn't understand it. The stress in my temples throbbed and I rubbed my fingers against my forehead. I seriously need to get used to waking up this early-"Hello?"

"Violet?" It was stupid to ask because I already knew, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

"This is Violet."

"It's James Roedan and I'm calling about the internship. I wanted to let you know that you have a spot. You'll have to be on the fifth floor at eight A.M. sharp for orientation. You'll find a badge with your name on it on the main floor at the front desk."

"Really? Thank you so much. I swear I won't be late again. This is so great, oh, gosh. Just...thank you."

"You're welcome." I leaned over my desk on my arm. "If you have any questions before then don't hesitate to call this number."

There was a moment of silence before she spoke again, "I will, thank you, James."

"You're welcome. I'll see you here Monday morning."

"You will."

The line went dead and I hung up the phone.

* * *

On Monday morning, I was a bit more excited now that I had something to do. The amount of paper work I did for my dad for the rest of the week was enough to last me a lifetime. To be honest, I really wouldn't care if I never had to sign another piece of paper in my life.

Then I had to sit in client meetings to take notes. That wasn't as bad because I was actually learning something. I've seen more of my dad in the past week than I have in the past three months. He's been quite easy to work with and that's surprising. Maybe he's more of a boss than he is a father.

Sometime during the week, I had put a mini fridge behind my desk filled with energy drinks. When my mom found out, of course I got a lecture. She forgets I'm almost twenty-one. Part of me will always be a Momma's Boy, but still. If I was to drink three Red Bull's in a row, I will. Though I highly don't recommend it. I've done it before and didn't notice I broke my foot from doing drunken jumping jacks.

I was going to need all the energy I could get.

My parents were already waiting for me on the fifth floor in the meeting room. They weren't talking, of course. She was sitting at one end of the table, looking through a pile of papers and he was standing in front of the windows on his phone.

"Is there anyone here yet?"

"No," I returned and sat next to her. "They'll probably start showing up any minute though."

After a week, my sleeping schedule hasn't been as bad. There have been nights where I did stay out too late knowing I had work in the morning, but it wasn't near as bad as that first day. I'm not used to getting up at six every morning and I don't think I ever will be. Everyone loves their sleep and it seems I can never get enough of it.

Minutes later, Justin opened the door and peeked his head in. "They're starting to arrive."

"You can bring them in," My dad instructed.

Justin bobbed his head once and disappeared.

The door opened again and I was surprised to see Violet being the one to come through first. Following Violet were two more people, two of the first guys I talked to last week. It's bad I couldn't remember their names.

Dad went to Violet and shook her hand first. "Welcome. I'm David Roedan and I'm happy to have you guys interning for me."

"Violet Bowen. And I'm glad to be interning."

She was wearing black skinny jeans, a white button down blouse, and a black blazer. I'm glad I know that much about clothing. It's probably all the shopping trips I had to go with Meredith on. Three years ago all I knew were jeans and t-shirts.

I've noticed she had a nervous habit of tucking her hair behind her ear and pushing her glasses up. She didn't do that until she met my mom. It's surprising anyone would be nervous meeting my mom. My dad is whom everyone is scared of.

Violet sat across from me and sat her folder down in front of her. She acknowledged me with a slight nod and looked down at the papers.

More people started filing in and by a quarter past eight, everyone was in the room. I left the speaking to my parents because I was learning myself. I'm the only one going to be in charge of these interns for three months, so I really need to learn something. I mean, I know about the company, I know how advertising works. My dad has been dragging me to work with him for years. I've been behind the scenes and know how it's done.

But what the hell am I supposed to do with ten high school seniors?

Out of all the jobs my dad could've given me, it was this one.

It has to be better than working with him though. Like my mom said, I really don't want to follow him everywhere. I'm not his puppy.

They stood at the opposite end of the table in front of the projected computer screen on the wall. They were smiling and talking with each other-a rarity-along with the many interns and also interacting with them. I sat back and watched, letting the information retain in my brain so I won't forget anything. It was mainly about rules, guidelines, and what they'll be doing for the next few months.

Someone turned the lights back on and opened the blinds when my dad finished the presentation. He went around the table, shaking everyone's hand and telling them thank you. My mom was right behind him. I moved to my feet and met them on the opposite side of the table. Everyone started talking among themselves.

"They're all yours now." Mom touched my shoulder and gave me a smile that was tight-lipped saying not to be a snarky asshole to my father.

"Thanks." I stuffed my hands in my pockets and looked at my dad. "See you guys later."

He was on his phone before he even made it out of the room. Mom squeezed my wrist and followed after him.

Justin was at my side in a matter of seconds. "What's first on the list?"

"Tour of the building." I checked the time on my watch. "Then they'll go to lunch."

Everyone stood from the table and started moving out of the room. They acknowledged me on their way out, some gave me a handshake, and others just smiled and nodded. I stood at the front with Justin still close by. They followed behind as I made my way to the elevator.

They piled in first and I got in last. I didn't even know where to start, so I pressed the top floor.

My dad's in for a nice surprise.

* * *

Two hours later and a minor throb in my temple, we reached the third and final floor of the tour. It's the floor where our café is located, so it was perfect. My stomach growled when the scent of fresh baked bread invaded my nose.

All of them took off the second we stepped on the floor, but one. She lingered close. Maybe a little too close. "Are you in school?" She twisted a strand of auburn hair around her finger.

"I'm sorry?"

Her lips turned into a flirtatious smile. "Are you in college?"

"I am."

All she did was bite the corner of her bottom lip, scan me over once, and leave. Odd for a person whose supposed to keep it professional.

Then I realized I never interviewed her before. I would've remembered. My memory isn't the best, but I remember the ten people I picked. Who was missing?

I started naming people on my fingers, counting up the ten I had picked. They were all here this morning and so was she. She was number eleven and she wasn't someone I had picked. My dad must have pull over what I choose no matter what. The odd number was going to bug the hell out of me.

She was going to bug the hell out of me.

I let my inner babble halt long enough to get food. They have the best cheese fries here with white cheddar sauce instead of regular. Seriously out of this world. It could possible be the only good thing about this place. On my way to pay for it, I also grabbed a bottle of water.

Violet was sitting alone at a table on the far end of the room, away from the others. She had a book in her hand while she ate. Something about her reminded a lot of my best friend Juliet. Definitely more clumsy and awkward. I looked around at the other tables, deciding against sitting alone. Violet was surprised when she saw me standing next to her table.

Her eyes went wide.

"May I sit?"

She nodded and swallowed the bite in her mouth.

"Why aren't you sitting with the others?"

Violet then did that thing where she tucked her hair behind her ear and then pushed up her glasses. "Just trying to catch up on reading."

I tilted my head to the side to see what she was reading. "Jane Austen?"

Her brows drew together, either surprised or perplexed. "She's been one of my favorites since I was little." She placed her bookmark in the book and set it down.

"My sister used to read her books all the time when she was in high school. I've seen her books around quite a bit."

"You have a sister?"

"Twin sister. Pain just like any sister would be."

Violet's rosy cheeks stood out against her fair skin as she smiled. "I've grown up with only brothers. I wish I knew what it was like to have a sister. Maybe I could've learned a thing or two."

There was a softness about Violet that intrigued me. An innocence that pulled me in. "Brothers are good to have around. Especially if they're protective."

"They're definitely protective. Even my little brother. But my older brothers won't even let me walk to the mailbox by myself. It's embarrassing."

I laughed without really meaning to. "One of them answered the phone when I called last week. He sounded very intimidating."

"That was my oldest brother Gray. He's more embarrassing than any of them. I'm so sorry about that. I hate it when he answers the phone." I didn't think it was possible for her cheeks to be any pinker. But blush crept up her neck and coated them evenly.

"It's important to have a close family. Embarrassing or not. Sometimes I wish my family was embarrassing."

She visibly relaxed and covered her face while she laughed. When she dropped her hands, she shook her head. "Believe me. One day with my family and you'd be happy about having a normal family."

Normal is the last thing I'd call my broken family. "Normal is overrated."

"So I've been told."

A really loud, girly giggle broke through the room causing me to whip my head in the direction it came from. It was the girl who talked to me earlier. She was talking, laughing, and touching one of the guy intern's arms. "Who is that?"

I felt Violet's stare before I caught her gaze. "You brought her in and you don't know who she is?" She whispered, keeping a serious tone.

"I didn't pick her." I turned my head to look at her again. "It has to be someone my dad picked without me knowing."

Violet was quiet.

"Do you know her name?" I asked again.

"Cristin I think. But they call her Cris."

Definitely don't know her, but I'm sure my dad does. "Thanks." I pushed away from the table without another word, taking the rest of my food with me. I past the trashcans on my way to where Cristin was sitting and threw it away.

The table fell quiet when I reached it. "Cristin, is it?"

Her smile widened enough to show her teeth. "That would be me."

I had to force my own smile. "Come to my office in thirty minutes please."

"Sure thing, Boss."

As I was walking away, I looked back at Violet's table. She was already deep in her book again. I didn't waste another second and made my way back to the fifth floor.

* * *

An hour later-not thirty minutes-there was a knock on my office door. "It's open."

Cristin stepped through the opening of the door, a playful smile on her lips. I'm pretty sure it never leaves. "What did you need?" Her tone dripped with too much sweetness that I knew was forced.

I rose from my desk and carried myself around to stand in front of her. "Are you working for my dad?"

Cristin's blue eyes sparkled when she spoke again, "No, I'm working for you." She folded her hands behind her back.

"I never hired you."

"Your dad called me and offered me this internship. He said you'd be my boss. Of course I couldn't pass up the opportunity."

"The internship is full, there isn't any room for anyone else." I shifted my hands in my pockets.

"You seriously have no idea who I am, do you?" She stepped toward me and I took a step back. "Your dad is marrying my older sister."

That explains everything. "I don't care if you're the presidents daughter, there isn't room for you."

She cocked her head to the side and advanced until I was pressed against my desk. "Your dad wouldn't be happy with the way you're treating me, James." She toyed with my tie, wrapping it tight around her hand and jerking it. The smile disappeared from her face and her playful tone turned impish. "What would he think if I told him about you trying to kick me out? I don't think he'd like it very well, do you?"

I clenched my jaw. "You don't know me."

Her laugh was dry and humorless. "No, you're right. But I do know your dad will take my word over yours. My sister has him in the palm of her hand. Don't test me or I'll make your life a living hell."

"Too late," I grounded. "Why do you want to work here anyway?"

"If I don't, I'll be sent back to the middle of nowhere in Iowa in an all girls school. It's basically a reform school for girls that don't know how to behave."

"I thought it was your word over mine." The corner of my mouth turned into a half smirk.

She narrowed her eyes and glared. "You'll just cause a lot of trouble I don't need. So keep me around and I'll return the favor."

My eyes widened. "Excuse me?"

"You know, return the favor-"

"I know what you meant," I snapped. "Don't push me."

Her face twisted into what I almost thought was confused, until her expression hardened again. "Then don't get in my way."

"Don't get in mine."

She cocked her head to the side, smiled, and brushed her palms over my shirt. "Then it's settled. I'll work for you, you tell your dad I'm doing great, and I'll leave you alone. I won't tell your girlfriend."

Girlfriend? "You're horrible."

"Thank you."

She gripped my face too tight and kissed my cheek hard. Once she was out of the room, I smeared my palm down my skin to remove it.

My dad has no idea what he's gotten himself into.

----------------------

I hope you guys liked this chapter!! Violet's point of view will come in chapter four and you'll get to see her family and stuff, I'm v excited hahaha.

Please please please vote if you liked this chapter! And let me know what you think so far! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

208K 10K 56
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းက ရင့်ကျက်ပြီး အတန်းခေါင်းဆောင်အမြဲလုပ်ရတဲ့ ကောင်လေး ကျော်နေမင်း ခြူခြာလွန်းလို့ ကျော်နေမင်းက ပိုးဟပ်ဖြူလို့ နာမည်ပေးခံရတဲ့ ကောင်မလေး နေခြ...
584K 18.8K 62
"Awe, what's the matter, Princess? Cat got your tongue?" Sin smirked. "I am not a Princess," I declared. He smiled and stepped closer to whisper in m...
731K 21.4K 49
Elyon Baker has it tough. She lives alone in a crappy apartment for reasons even she doesn't like to think about. She works almost every day to pay h...
2.2M 52.7K 39
[COMPLETE!] "My best friend's brother grew up. Hot." Alexis is months from finishing college and starting a fashion label in New York. Years of plann...