The Dalish Commander (The Dau...

By IceQueenofMitera

With the Archdemon dead, the Darkspawn should have retreated back to the Deep Roads. But something odd is at... More

1: Commander of the Grey
2: The Assault on Vigil's Keep
3: The Talking Darkspawn
4: Conscription
5: The Joining
6: The Thief
7: A Brewing Conspiracy
8: Leads
9: Amaranthine
11: Nathaniel's Joining
12: Banters and Kittens
13: The Blackmarsh
14: Return to the Fade
15: The Baroness
16: The Spirit of Justice
17: The Cellars
18: Not Just A Commander
19: Sisters and Brawls
20: Taking Care of Business
21: Return to the Deep
22: The Wending Wood
23: The Architect
24: Escaping the Mines
25: Velanna's Joining
26: The Strange Elf's Warning
27: Esmerelle's Betrayal
28: True Family
29: Aiding the Legion
30: Kal'Hirol
31: Freeing Kal'Hirol
32: Realin's Past and Oghren's Family
33: Velanna's Apology
34: Sigrun's Past
35: The Battle of Amaranthine
36: The Mother
37: After the Battle
Epilogue

10: The Crown and Lion

118 15 4
By IceQueenofMitera

We came upon an inn called The Crown and Lion. When we walked in, the innkeeper only glanced up and then went back to what he was doing. A patron was talking about someone having gotten their hands on moonshine and wondering if he would sell him some. Another talked about a blister he'd gotten from working on a farm. No one gave us a second glance as I approached the innkeeper, aside from a slender and taller than usual Elf in the corner who watched me through his snowy hair. There was a lethal grace about him, making me instantly curious.

"Something I can do for you, friend?" the innkeeper asked, boredly. As he was actually giving me the time of day, I did my own talking.

"Did a Grey Warden named Kristoff come through here?" This got his attention. He gave me a good look then and I could feel he didn't like the question coming from an Elf. And I didn't sense a third Warden here. I was beginning to think that we'd never find him.

"And who are you supposed to be that's asking?"

I took that as confirmation that this was the inn he'd come to. "I would be his Commander."

The innkeeper blinked, surprised at my response. "An Elf? I..." Realization hit him just then. "The Hero of Ferelden! Yes, of course. Haven't seen that fellow Kristoff for almost a week now. Not sure where he went." The information rolled off his tongue now that he knew who I was. "The room's paid up to the end of the month. I guess he expected he'd be here for a while."

"I'd like the key to his room."

"Of course." He handed me the key without hesitation. "It's the last room at the end of the hall. If he comes back and gets upset, however, it's on your head."

We went upstairs and found Kristoff's room. The room had very few of Kristoff's personal effects in it. I found his journal, which was written in Fereldan thankfully, and flipped to the last entry, where he spoke of a place called the Blackmarsh. According to the entry, the Blackmarsh was said to be haunted.

"Looks like he had investigated several places," Nathaniel said.

I looked up to see him studying a map.

"The Blackmarsh is the only place not crossed out."

"According to this, Kristoff talked to a man who'd encountered Darkspawn in the Blackmarsh. Also looks like he encountered our friend from the Keep. Or another talking Darkspawn."

"Since when do Darkspawn talk?" Nathaniel asked.

"Trust me, if I hadn't seen it myself, I wouldn't have believed it either."

"Very unnerving, let me tell you," Anders said. "And creepy. Very creepy."

I frowned as I read on. "This man also describes a creature that looked like a worm with legs. I've never heard of such a creature." I looked over at the others. All three shook their head.

"I've heard stories from folks who'd ventured into the Deep Roads on expeditions," Oghren said. "But none of them came back with stories of walking worms. Unless you count Deepstalkers."

"This doesn't sound like a Deepstalker," I said, having seen Deepstalkers in person when our group ventured into the Deep Roads looking for Paragon Branka. "This seems to be attached to the Darkspawn. This man told Kristoff that it followed the talking Darkspawn."

"Is it me, or are the Darkspawn acting really strange?" Oghren asked. "Nothing like during the Blight."

"I agree."

We left the room and I locked the door behind me. We went downstairs and I returned the key to the innkeeper. As we walked out, I tried not to laugh at the two drunk patrons discussing whether the Archdemon or Andraste would win a fight against each other. And I noticed the strange Elf was gone.

"So what do we do first, fearless leader?" Anders asked when we were back out on the street. "The Blackmarsh? The Wending Wood? Some random Deep Roads entrance?"

"We have a Joining to do," I said, turning to Nathaniel. "Are you sure you want to do this?"

"Yes. My mind is set."

"Very well. Let's head back to the Keep."

On the way out of Amaranthine, we passed by the Chantry and I saw the look Anders gave it. I had to smile.

Then Nathaniel stopped in front of the Andraste statue. "It figures, actually," he said.

I gave him a confused look. "What does?"

"There used to be another statue here. It was of Byron Howe, my great uncle. He died in the rebellion, helping King Maric reclaim his throne. Yet his statue is gone." His voice took on a sad tone. "All because of what my father did." Byron Howe had nothing to do with his nephew's actions and was apparently a hero, but because he was a Howe, he was no longer looked upon as a hero.

"That's a shame," I said. A hero falling because of something the next generation did.

"It truly is. There's a long line of heroes in my family. The Howes have been around since Calenhad."

Calenhad was the first King of Ferelden and Alistair's ancestor. He united the barbarians, the Alamari, that roamed the land at the time. Ferelden's largest lake was named after him.

"Now it's all gone." Self-pity really didn't sit well on Nathaniel. Or anyone for that matter. "And for what? For being on the wrong side of the war? For choosing poorly?"

"It's up to you to turn that around. If you survive the Joining you can bring respect back to the Howe name and make them forget that you are the son of a man I have heard many refer to as a snake."

Nathaniel scoffed. "Not too much pressure, right?" What do you know? He was capable of sarcasm. "I wonder what happened to the old statue. Likely propping up the side of a Chantry or something. Poor Arl Byron." He waved his hand dismissively. "Ah, statues are for pigeons. I don't want to look at it." He walked away, leaving me to wonder what the hell just happened.

Anders stepped next to me, rubbing his neck. "Is it just me or did he give you whiplash as well with his mood swings?"

I chuckled. I was surprised to run into Wynne. I had not expected to see her in Amaranthine. "Wynne?"

Her face brightened when she saw me. "Realin! What a pleasant surprise! I hadn't expected to run into you."

Tristan gave a bark and nuzzled her hand.

"Or you." She scratched him behind the ear.

I hadn't seen Wynne since the wedding. She'd been taking care of some personal business in the Tower and we kept missing each other in the few times I'd gone to Vigil's Keep on Warden business. Every time I would return to Denerim, she would have just left to return to the Tower. The Templars seemed to be giving her a hard time about becoming Alistair's personal adviser.

"It's good to see you," I said with a smile.

"And you. I hear the Darkspawn aren't retreating as they should. It sounds like the Wardens have their hands full."

"Yes, all three of us."

"Anders? My, I didn't expect to see you here, either."

"You wouldn't have if Realin hadn't saved me by conscripting me right out of Rylock's talons."

Wynne chuckled. It didn't surprise me that they knew each other. "I can see no better Mage at your side. He is quite talented in healing."

"I learned from the best." If Anders had been mentored by Wynne, then I had no doubt about his healing skills.

"I'd offer to help with the Darkspawn as before but I'm afraid my presence is required elsewhere."

"Perhaps when you are done?"

Wynne smiled. "By then you will no doubt have this mess sorted out. But we'll see. The College of Magi is convening in Cumberland and I must attend. Hopefully, all this will blow over before it's begun." I gave her a questioning look. I hadn't heard of any of those things before. And I wondered why Wynne was required to attend. "But you have enough on your plate."

"Indulge me. I'm sure this will affect more than just Mages." Relations between regular folk and Mages were strained as it was.

"Then you should know something stirs within the fraternities. The groups of like-minded Mages within the Circles." I must have looked very confused. "The Libertarians wish to pull away entirely from the Chantry. And if they get enough support...," she trailed off. That actually didn't sound like it'd be a good thing.

"Pull away entirely?" Anders asked in disbelief. "That's madness! I hate Chantry oversight as much as the next Mage but they can't just decide to leave! This is a recipe for disaster!" It had to be if Anders thought that, and he absolutely hated the Circle and the Chantry.

"That is troubling," I agreed.

"Well, it could turn out to be nothing but keep your ear to the ground anyway."

I nodded. "Of course."

"I must take my leave. I have many preparations to make before I leave for Nevarra. Greigoir has approved of my station within the royal court and I have already informed Alistair. He also knows I will be gone for a bit before I take up my duties." She took my hands. "Good luck to you, Realin. May your Creators guide you." Wynne was the only human besides Alistair and Leliana that would ever say that to me. Everyone else blessed me in the Maker's name. It was one reason I liked the old Mage.

Near the entrance to the city, we passed what looked like an abandoned building. It had probably been a warehouse at one time.

Anders suddenly stopped. "I think that's where the phylacteries are," he said, pulling out the slip of paper Namaya gave him. "Yes. This is it. It's probably guarded."

The door was unlocked when I tried it. We stepped inside and I couldn't help but feel like I'd just walked into a trap. There were no guards and the place looked like it hadn't been used in years.

"Maybe they don't want to draw attention to the cache?" Anders suggested. "Could we be that lucky?"

"I doubt it," Nathaniel said. His bow was in his hands, an arrow resting against the string. Seemed he, too, had the same feeling I had.

We searched through the building until Anders walked through a door into another room of the warehouse. "Shit."

I was next to him a moment later. My instinct had been correct.

Rylock stood in the room with two Templars at her back, looking smug. "And here I almost believed the infamous Anders wouldn't take the bait," she said. I wanted to wipe that look right off her face.

"Ah. Yes, I suppose I should have known it would be you."

"You made a poor choice with this one, Commander. Anders will never submit, not to us and not to you."

"Submit?" I asked. "I want Grey Wardens, not servants. And Anders has made a fine Grey Warden so far."

"'So far', yes. I'll make sure this murderer is never a bother to anyone again."

"What?" Anders asked in surprise. "No, you can't arrest me! King Alistair allowed my conscription."

"You are overstepping yourself, Rylock," I warned.

"The Chantry authority supersedes the crown in this matter."

I raised a brow. "Excuse me."

"You cannot hide within the Grey Wardens ranks."

I stepped between Rylock and Anders. "He stays with us," I said, my voice taking on a dangerous tone. Tristan's ears flattened and he growled at Rylock.

"Hardly surprising. The Grey Wardens have always been a haven for criminals and Maleficar."

"You've overstepped yourself, Templar."

"Do you think I care if some knife ear that has the King's favor thinks I am overstepping the bounds she thinks I have?" The comment only showed her ignorance and succeeded in pissing me off. She looked over my head at Anders. "I do not know how you inspire such loyalty but it will avail you not. Now you come with us."

I drew my swords. "You'll have to go through me first."

"Gladly." She drew her sword and came at me.

I felt Anders move back when I darted towards the Templar. I caught her shoulder through a chink in her armor. She swung her shield at me and I ducked and sliced into the back of her leg. She hit me in the shoulder with the hilt of her sword, knocking me off balance. I went down and she raised her sword. A moment later, one of Nathaniel's arrows was protruding from her neck. I returned the favor by throwing my knife into the face of the Templar coming at his back. The fight didn't last long.

"Are you alright?" Nathaniel asked as I retrieved my knife. Tristan nudged me and I knelt down to make sure he was uninjured.

"Thanks to you. I owe you one," I said.

He shook his head and motioned to the dead Templar. Tristan licked my face and I smiled, scratching him in his favorite spot.

"No. We're even," he answered.

Anders nudged Rylock with his foot. "Hmm. I wonder if Namaya knew about this. I guess it doesn't really matter." He looked over at me. "Thank you. You stood by me and I appreciate that."

"I consider you a friend. Friends stick together."

Tristan barked to confirm it. I think I shocked him when I said that. I wonder if the shock was more of his Commander saying that or a Dalish.

"I... guess they do." Then the Anders I knew emerged. "Anyhow, let's go before someone else rushes in to waggle a finger at us."

I chuckled. "Yes, let's." It was a pity we didn't find Anders' phylactery. I think it would have been fun to destroy it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

137 19 9
"Please my lord.. I will do anything... Anything to protect him. Just tell me what to do." Voldemort is on his throne looking down on Amara. Dawned i...
775 12 44
Deep in the Alienage of Denerim, to a simple family was born an extraordinary girl. A girl who would one day save them all from the dark, horrendous...
14.2K 293 44
My name is Dawn Cousland. I had a normal life, a loving mother and a caring father. An annoying older brother that I loved. Until the night Father s...
111 3 8
After finding out what happens when a Grey Warden kills an Archdemon, Lyna Mahariel doesn't return to her room, therefore doesn't speak to Morrigan...