The Older Potter // HP Older...

By Ilvermornist

Samantha Potter lived a normal life. She went to Hogwarts, played Quidditch, and tried to pass History of Mag... More

Part 1
TRAILER
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
99
100
101
102
103
104
105
106
107
108
109
110
111
112
113
114
115
116
117
118
119
120
121

17

10.3K 403 127
By Ilvermornist

C H A P T E R 17

"Hey Aberforth, can I take a walk in the park for a bit?" Samantha asked her guardian Aberforth Dumbledore who was currently sitting in his chair reading the Daily Prophet.

Aberforth was off today from his pub The Hogs Head and decided to spend the day reading and relaxing. His tabby cat Ari was sitting on his lap and snuggling up to his chest.

He looked up at her and thought for a moment, thinking about what happened last year, how she could have joined Harry in the trapdoor. Her eyes were full of hope. Hope that he would let her go out of the house. She was very selective about when to ask him and it was currently halfway through the summer, almost at the end of July. 

His thoughts went to Ariana once again and decided to let her go, knowing she was cooped up in the house for the past month. Aberforth had taken the liberty to get her new school supplies from Diagon Alley, since he acquired the list from Albus the first week of holiday and knew she had read each book more than once. He was proud that she kept busy by doing her homework instead of her practical jokes that Minerva told him all about at the end of the year.

"Ok, but take a short one. Be home in thirty minutes," he stated giving a small sigh.

Samantha almost jumped in the air. She went up to him and hugged him, thanking him for letting her get some fresh air. Aberforth told her to take her wand just in case, even though she couldn't use any magic outside of school but you never know.

'Just in case you encounter any Muggle boys,' he thought shamelessly thinking back to that dreadful day.

Samantha reminded him of Ariana so much. She had the same charisma and at a young age, the same love for magic. Ariana had so much potential and had a bright future. He felt he wanted to keep Samantha from as much harm as he could so she could have the same bright future. She was already someone who went through a lot, seeing her parents die and watch Voldemort encounter Harry.

He knew he couldn't protect her at Hogwarts. He had to trust her to not do anything stupid and Aberforth had hoped he had prepared her for what could come at Hogwarts. Aberforth knew James and Lily and their friends from a few visits to the Hogs Head. The Three Broomsticks became crowded a lot during trips to Hogsmeade so during that time he really got to know a few Hogwarts students who came regularly. The more popular ones included James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew. He really loved those boys because they were extremely funny and very intelligent.

When he heard about what happened to James and Lily, he was distraught. Why did that have to happen to two of the most nicest and caring people he has ever met? Albus brought Samantha to his doorstep and he was beyond shocked. First and foremost that Albus had thought of him. He thought that he would choose their good friend Remus Lupin. Remus was very responsible and logical.

Maybe Albus wanted to give back to what happened to Ariana and try again with Samantha. However, in most aspects, Samantha is very different than Ariana. She was a lot like her father. Same brown hair and hazel eyes. When she was jovial they were warm, lively, and sparkled with mirth. When she was downcast they seemed to grow dim and dark. The smooth brown on the edge contrasted beautifully with the  light amber color in the middle.

Same nose and facial expressions. And of course, the same personality. Aberforth hated that she had a knack for trouble. He remembers the many tales of pranks James and his friends pulled during his time at Hogwarts. Though he was pleased to say that Samantha inherited her mother's kindness and logic.

He thought about these things a lot as he watched her grow up. He watched her grab her wand and leave the house without him. He didn't want to let go, but he knew he had too or he might push her away.

Samantha left the house and as soon as the door closed she jumped into the air. She had done it. She had finally gotten Aberforth to let her leave the house unsupervised. She was turning fifteen in October and this was the first time that she had left their cottage alone. She could never blame Aberforth when she was younger because she didn't want to get involved with accidental magic. But she was now going into her fourth year of Hogwarts and she could definitely control her magic.

She knew he was looking out for her. She admired his protectiveness and bravery. It was something that she sought to mirror. However she wishes he could be a bit more loose in rules and such.

The weather is the kind that feels like a kiss of summer without the fiery heat of noon time in July. The grass is a soft green that almost has a hint of blue and in the sky is enough pristine white cloud to show you how beautiful the sky was, how perfect. The concrete of the path was hard under Samantha's shoes and she was glad to be free of the confines of her house.

Then she sat on the swings and hung back a bit. It was an ancient swing with a splintered wooden seat, faded red paint peeling off in curls. It hung heavily from the sagging wooden frame, orange spots of rusts peppering the chains.

She swayed back and forth for a bit, pumping her legs from time to time. She felt free. The same feeling she usually gets when she watches the beautiful scenery of Scotland on the Hogwarts Express.

She missed the Hogwarts Castle. Its mysterious qualities that gives off the sense of magic that young eleven year olds are excited for. Samantha's long and distant thoughts were interrupted by a voice she did not want to here. A voice that she had quarreled with numerous times.

"Hey Potter, fancy seeing you here,"

Samantha looked up and saw the cold green eyes of Marcus Flint. He had his usual smirking expression that gave off a sense of hatred.

How did he find her? Why was he here? Did he live here?

"Flint," she said nodding at him. She watched his movements and noticed that he had grown a few inches his holiday. He had some stubble growing on his chin, but he still stood like everyone owed him a favor.

"Can I join you?" he asked trying to get rid of his smirk but was failing miserably.

She internally groaned but didn't want to start anything so she just shrugged. Marcus grinned cheekily and sat down next to her on the other wooden swing that had the same iron chippings.

They sat in silence for a few minutes. Marcus enjoyed the nice summer's day as he swayed on the swing. The wind was whispering in the great bare trees of the nearby forest, as if it were some wild dark grove deep in a forgotten land.

He looked over and saw Samantha sway along with him. She never changed. He analyzed her and thought how a young woman of almost fifteen could look so youthful and full of life. She had chestnut brown hair nowhere near the point of being black. It lay on her shoulders like a waterfall flowing mildly; flaming as bright as a sunrise. The breeze blew through her curls, straightening them into waves that whipped about behind her.

From under side of her locks shone eyes the colour of a dazzling brown, which travelled uneasily from one person to another. No one couldn't help but notice that they glistened every time she moved them. They were the ones that seemed to draw you into a daze; not letting you go. Marcus always got lost in them. Her eyes seemed to shine in the sunlight, but hide in the darkness.

Marcus always admired how much he truly thought about her. They had a different kind of relationship. They could act civilly for days time but just end up quarreling again. Deep down they found the banter amusing and added to the Gryffindor Slytherin rivalry. As much as she hated the inter house antagonisms, sometimes their clash raised the stakes of classes and Quidditch.

He watched her expression and thought something was wrong. She usually was very up beat and always had a smile on her face, but now she didn't. She looked like she was enjoying the fresh air but something about her reserved, solemn expression was intriguing Marcus.

"What's wrong?" he asked softly, trying to show her that he did somewhat care about her.

Samantha instantly looked at him. She saw some sincerity in his eyes, but he still held a blank expression. "Nothing," she replied in a bored tone.

Marcus rolled his eyes. If he knew anything about her, it was that she was very good masking her emotions when she didn't want anyone to know what she was thinking. But Marcus saw right through her mask. He saw that something was bothering her. "Yeah and Quirrell was a good Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher," he scoffed.

Samantha cracked a smile. The story about Harry and the trapdoor had indeed spread around the school like wildfire. Everyone knew what happened with Quirrell and the Stone. Marcus caught sight of her smile and grinned.

"So tell me what's wrong,"

Samantha pushed back on the wooden swing and sighed. She did want to talk about what she was thinking about, the whole Aberforth situation, but she was hoping she would talk to Fred and George on the train. She obviously didn't trust Marcus like a friend and was sure that if she told him, he would use it against her.

"I won't tell anyone," he added seeing her skeptical expression. "You can trust me,"

Samantha rolled her eyes. "Come on Flint, we're enemies-"

"Frenemies. We do get along sometimes," Marcus cut in smiling.

"Sometimes, not all the time. We have too much history of hating each other,"

"But I would never do anything to you that would hurt you internally. Harmless pranks for a laugh, yeah and I don't hate you. It's fun to quarrel with you," he said laughing.

Samantha gave a small laugh. It was true what he said. She thought the same. They honestly didn't hate each other as people thought. "I don't know,"

Marcus shrugged. "Alright, but just know I'll be here if you want to talk,"

He stood up and saw something to the left of them. A weird shaped ball came flying towards them. Marcus immediately pulled Samantha's arm and yanked her off of the swing. They fell back and Marcus fell on top of her.

"What the bloody hell Marcus?!" Samantha cried glaring up at him.

Marcus opened his mouth to explain but another voice beat him too it.

"How dare you two!"

A women and a small boy were standing near the swings. The small boy picked up a ball that was next to the swings. "I take my son to the park and we see this?" she sassed gesturing to the two of them.

"What is going on? Samantha?" another voice asked.

Samantha froze. It was Aberforth. She could see him standing a few feet from the woman, arms crossed.

"You know these two?" the woman asked Aberforth.

Aberforth took a breath. "I know the girl,"

"Marcus, get up now," Samantha said to him with clenched teeth.

He jerked his head towards her and then widened his eyes. "Right, sorry," he muttered and quickly scrambled off of her.

Samantha stood up and then faced the woman and Aberforth. "It's not-"

"Don't even." the woman but it. "We all saw what we saw. Now I have to explain this to my son. I hope your father punishes you," and with that the woman grabbed her son's arm and the two of them left the park.

"He's not even my father!" Samantha yelled at the woman who was already almost out of sight. She turned to Marcus who had a blank expression. "Bye," she muttered and turned on her heel. Samantha rushed past Aberforth and sped walked back to the cottage.

She opened the door and was met with an angry Aberforth. "Bloody Apparation," she muttered.

"Would you care to explain?" he drawled raising an eyebrow.

Samantha looked up at him with angry eyes. It didn't matter what she was going to say. She knew he wasn't going to listen.

"Nothing happened," she stated. "That woman was wrong,"

Aberforth narrowed his eyes. "Is that so?"

She nodded. "Yes. Marcus yanked my wrist and he fell on top of me,"

"That's not what it looked like,"

Samantha furrowed her eyebrows. "Of course it isn't. You and that woman just happened to come at the wrong time,"

"Something is telling me not to believe you,"

"I didn't do anything wrong. You are just blowing things completely out of proportion," she retorted. Why isn't he believing her? 

"Oh? So you also find those pranks you pull at school not wrong as well?"

Samantha rolled her eyes. "What does that have to do with anything?"

"It has to do with you jeopardizing your future,"

"My future? I'm only fourteen!" Samantha cried.

"Doesn't matter. You never know what's going to happen in life. It can be taken away from you in a second, so it isn't worth playing stupid pointless pranks,"

Samantha knew exactly what he meant. It all made sense now after hearing that statement. She couldn't believe it. That's why he has been so protective over the years. Why he never let her leave the house. He didn't want what happened to Ariana happen to her.

Yes, she knew about Ariana. Bathilda Bagshot, an old friend of the Dumbledores, told her when she babysat for Samantha once a couple years ago.

"I'm not Ariana," Samantha stated and rushed past him and down the hall to her room. She slammed the door and went right over to Oaks who was sitting in his cage eating a few treats.

She scribbled a quick note and sent him off, making sure she got a reply by tonight.

• • • • •

Tap tap tap.

Fred Weasley put down his quill and looked at the window. He raised an eyebrow at the owl he saw.

"Oaks?" he asked opening up the window letting him in. "What are you doing here?" He dropped the note on Fred's bed and flew on his desk.

Fred grabbed the note and tore it open, hoping everything was ok with Samantha. They knew it must be very important if she was writing to them. Her last note ended with her telling them they would see her on the Platform.

George opened the door just as Fred made a shocked expression. "What's wrong?" he inquired sitting next to his twin.

"Read this," Fred said and shoved the note at him. He then got up and left their room.

George read the letter and made the same expression as Fred, completely identical. Their room door opened again and Fred returned with Ron.

"Ron you said Harry wasn't responding to you letters right?" Fred asked.

Ron sat down on their desk chair and nodded. "Hermione's as well,"

"Then it looks like we're going to have go through with the plan you mentioned earlier, tonight," Ron and George nodded, knowing what plan Fred was talking about. "and it looks like we made have to take a quick detour," he finished his stare lingering on the note they received.

• • • • •

Samantha did not leave her room, only once to use the restroom. She reread her Standard Book of Spells Grade 4 to pass the time. She looked at the pile of Gilderoy Lockhart books that Aberforth got her because it was on the list that Dumbledore gave him. She really didn't want Lockhart to become their teacher. She skimmed the first page of Break with a Banshee and instantly thought this guy was a joke.

'There's no way that doof could have defeated a banshee,' she thought. 'Well, unless it was blind,'

She was currently practicing some wand movements for the new spells she learned when she heard a light buzzing coming from outside her window. It was currently a little after ten so she could barely see through the darkness. The night rolled over bringing a threat of a storm. Light was covered by the rapidly falling night. The bright blue sky transformed into an ocean of blackness. Shimmering stars illuminated the moonless, jet black sky, as if to remind us that even in darkness there is still light.

The air was still and heavy, thick clouds covered half sky. A cool breeze swept the alienated street. Owls swept silently overhead, delivering the messages tied to their legs. Even shadows were swallowed by the encroaching darkness. However in the distance was a small ball of light. Second by second, it came closer and closer.

A few minutes later the ball of light had split into two and looked to be a set of headlights...of a...car...?

Samantha immediately started to back away as the car came closer to her window. She almost reached her door when a familiar voice call out her name. She slowly walked forward and gave a sigh of relief when she saw the infamous fiery red hair.

"What are you guys doing?" she hissed as she opened up the window.

Ron, Fred, and George were currently in a flying car pitched outside the window. Her eyes lingered on the blue Ford Anglia in shock. She knew it was done by magic but this was the first flying car she has ever seen.

"Responding to your letter, of course," Fred replied grinning.

Samantha was at a loss for words. The twins definitely had crazy ideas but this was just...insane.

"Bu...but...I just wanted you guys or your parents to use Floo Powder, not a...a flying car," she stuttered.

"Just pack your trunk, Oaks is in our room," George said then checking his watch.

Samantha instantly grabbed her books and packed up her trunk making sure to get everything she needed since she knew she probably wasn't going to come back, unless Aberforth forced her back.

She handed Ron, who was the closest, her owl cage and put it in the back with George. They turned the car and Samantha placed her trunk inside the trunk of the car. She decided to write a quick note to Aberforth telling him where she was. She certainly didn't want the Hit Wizards to come after her.

Samantha sidled out of the window and to the backseat of the car. She took her owl cage from George and put it on her lap.

"Ready?" Fred asked.

"Yes," the other three said and Fred started to drive away.

"Back to the Burrow?" Samantha asked.

The three Weasleys shook their heads. "Nope," Ron answered. "We're off to rescue Harry,"

Samantha's eyebrows shot up. "Harry? Why?"

"Has he responded to your letters? If you wrote any to him?" George questioned.

She thought for a moment. She did send Harry a few letters and she forgot about them, not even realizing that Harry didn't even respond.

Samantha shook her head. "No, he hasn't," she replied slowly hoping something wasn't wrong, and they didn't know anything she didn't.

"So we're going to go over there to see what's going on. We think the Dursleys are blocking his communication," Fred explained as they flew over the edge of Little Whinging.

Ron told him the address of the Dursleys house and Fred flew to the backyard. They crept up to the window and saw Harry acting the same way Samantha did. They saw that Harry had bars on his window.

"Hey Harry," Samantha said through the backseat window.

"Samantha, Ron, Fred, George. What are you all doing?" he breathed, emerald green eyes gazing over the car.

"Did I look like that?" Samantha whispered to George as Ron told Harry to pack his trunk.

"Same exact expression," George replied with a smirk.

Samantha shook her head and waited for Harry. They tore off the bars and knew the loud crash had awoken the Dursleys. He quickly passed Ron his owl cage and handed it to George to hold. They let out Hedwig so she could stretch her wings. They heard the door start to open as the trunk of the car closed with Harry's trunk inside.

"Hurry," Ron yelled as Harry's bedroom door shot open revealing Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and Dudley. They raced after Harry but they were too late. Harry had slid through the window and was inside the car.

"Go!" cried Ron and Harry as the Dursleys leaned over the window to stop them.

Fred obeyed and turned the car around. He stepped on the gas pedal and they quickly sped away from Number 4 Privet Drive. They drove through the night sky over Muggle London and to Ottery St. Catchpole.

Harry told them why he wasn't answering their letters. Samantha thought it was highly unusual for a house elf to leave their family to give Harry a warning. She wondered who were his masters and if it had anything to do with the warning. One thing was known for sure, it looks like they weren't going to have a quiet year.

Fred lowered the car and the Burrow was now in sight. Samantha had been to the Burrow before, but Harry hasn't. He looked at the unusual house in awe. She figured he would like it due to it being the first magical house he has seen. Being trapped in boing old Number 4 really took a toll on him. His eyes traveled down the pathway and all the way up the Weasleys many stories.

They landed just outside the front door and the twins took out Harry's and Samantha's trunk.

"Welcome to the-" George started but stopped dead. His eyes widened and were currently pitched past them.

They all turned and understood why George stopped. Mrs. Weasley was standing in their front doorway, arms crossed, and looked to kill.

No one spoke for the next few minutes. Mrs. Weasley was sending Ron, Fred, and George the scariest glare Samantha had ever seen. She's seen her mad a few times, but this was a whole new level.

"Well?" Mrs. Weasley questioned in a stern tone that rivalled Professor McGonagalls.

"We had too Mum-" George started.

"No note! Bed's empty! I look to see the car gone! Do you have any idea how worried I was? You just wait until your father gets home,"

Mrs. Weasley then turned on Samantha and Harry who were hiding behind Ron and the twins. "Now I don't blame you two dears. So wonderful to see you," she said regaining her motherly tone. She brought the two in a hug and started to veer them towards the front door into the house. "Come on in and have some breakfast,"

Samantha looked back at them and smiled sheepishly and apologetically. She didn't like not taking some blame.

The two walked in and Harry looked all around the house. He admired the assortment of books and the grandfather clock. Samantha led him towards the kitchen and they sat down at the table. The twins and Ron came in seconds later and slumped into their seats. Mrs. Weasley brought out a tray of sizzled sausages and scrambled eggs. She served Harry and Samantha a plate full and gave them each a full glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.

She then set the tray down and went back into the kitchen. Fred grabbed some first followed by George then Ron grabbing the last of the tray full.

"Probably going to make more, Dad should be home soon," George muttered filling his glass full of marmalade.

Mrs. Weasley came back in and started filling other plates and setting them down in front of the open seats, most likely for Percy, Mr. Weasley, herself, and Ginny.

"Now I don't blame you two dears. Ron told me about you, Harry, and Arthur and I wanted to come and get you if you didn't write by Friday." she explained then waving her wand at the sink. "Samantha, I assume Aberforth let you come?"

Harry looked confused. Aberforth? He didn't know who that was. He was meaning to ask Samantha who she was staying with during holiday and who raised her.

"Uhm something like that," Samantha replied giving a small smile.

Mrs. Weasley nodded. "I'm so happy. We wanted you to come last summer and stay for a bit but I guess he wasn't up for it. But nonetheless, you're here now, will you be staying for the rest of the time?"

Samantha nodded happily. "I'd love too. Thank you Mrs. Weasley,"

She then turned to Harry. "You're also welcome to stay the rest of the time deary,"

Suddenly, the wooden stairs creaked and footsteps could be heard. A minute later, a small red headed girl appeared in the kitchen.

"Hi Ginny," Samantha said to her.

Ginny gave her a small smile before it quickly faded away. Her eyes rested on Harry for a few seconds before she blushed a bright red then left the kitchen in a flash.

Fred and George snickered but Samantha shut them up with an elbow jab to the chest. Ron told Harry that Ginny was very anxious to see him.

They finished breakfast and Mrs. Weasley told her children to help with Harry and Samantha's trunk and cage and then come back down.

Fred carried Samantha's trunk while George grabbed her owl cage. They headed for the stairs ad up to their room. Mrs. Weasley looked to have already conjured up a bed by their desk. Oaks was sitting by the window, seeming to enjoy the fresh air.

Ron past them holding Harry's trunk and they proceeded up two floors to his room.

"Thank you guys," she said to Fred and George and pulled them into a hug.

"Of course," Fred replied.

"We had to come and get you once we read you letter," George added.

Samantha pet oaks wings affectionately and then Samantha gave a small gasp which turned into a groan.

"What?" the twins chorused.

They saw where her eyes were looking and raised an eyebrow in shock.

Out in the distance was an owl flying towards them. It was a large grey tawny owl and looked to be carrying a letter.

Samantha knew exactly who that owl belonged too. It was Godric, Aberforth's owl.

• • • • •

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!! Don't forget to vote and comment!

Because you're going to ask. Yes Samantha is turning 15 and heading into her Fourth Year. She couldn't move up to Fifth year, or back when she was turning Twelve to Second year because the cut off day is September 1.

It's like when Cedric turned 17 but was in his 6th year. Same thing. Thank you!

*Updates are every 5 days*

Also don't forget to check out my main story Siriusly Coled!

Thanks!

<3 Sam

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

128K 3.3K 104
Y/N l/n is about to start her fourth year at Hogwarts when she meets George and Fred Weasley. She's a Gryffindor like the twins, but their friendshi...
40.4K 861 66
The loyal, stubborn, kindhearted Lucy Potter had always been an odd girl to the rest of the world. Living with her awful relatives in a world of bori...
367K 8.3K 40
From the good to the bad, everyone's favorite Slytherin princess, Rowan Bailey; seems like princess, isn't so innocent after all. + A book that takes...
25.4K 625 18
What happens when you along with your best friend jump into the parallel universe of your favorite fictional place and enjoy your voyage with them an...