A Troubled Heart ❥ D.M.

By parfaitiism

Iris Éclatant is a bright eyed girl from France who is unconvincingly told by the sorting hat she belongs in... More

P A R T O N E
C H A P T E R O N E
C H A P T E R T W O
C H A P T E R T H R E E
C H A P T E R F O U R
C H A P T E R F I V E
C H A P T E R S I X
C H A P T E R S E V E N
C H A P T E R E I G H T
C H A P T E R T E N
P A R T T W O
C H A P T E R 1 1
C H A P T E R 1 2
C H A P T E R 1 3
C H A P T E R 1 4
C H A P T E R 1 5
C H A P T E R 1 6
C H A P T E R 1 7
C H A P T E R 1 8
C H A P T E R 1 9
C H A P T E R 2 0
P A R T 3
C H A P T E R 2 1
C H A P T E R 2 2
C H A P T E R 2 3
C H A P T E R 2 4
C H A P T E R 2 5
C H A P T E R 2 6
C H A P T E R 2 7
C H A P T E R 2 8
C H A P T E R 2 9
C H A P T E R 3 0
P A R T 4
C H A P T E R 3 1
C H A P T E R 3 2
C H A P T E R 3 3
C H A P T E R 3 5 [ A/N ]

C H A P T E R N I N E

582 24 6
By parfaitiism

Y E A R F I V E
C O N T.//

The morning of departure from Hogwarts, I quickly packed my things. Ron said his mother wanted me to stay with the Weasleys for the break!

"No one should be alone on Christmas!" Fred and George grinned, speaking in unison as they carried my luggage and led me to a small room in which I would be staying.

Hermione and Harry joined the Weasleys and me for the break as well. The atmosphere of the Weasley's home offered a feeling of comfort, and I found myself wishing I could have been raised in such a friendly, warm environment. Mr. Weasley returned home from the hospital after Harry saved his life due to a nightmare that awoke spectacled boy some time during first term. Mr. Weasley toasted to Harry at supper the first evening of winter break.

"I have another announcement, as well," Mr. Weasley set down his glass, his eyes settling on mine, "I am delighted to have you here, Iris. You see, the matter of your living situation has been discussed among us at the Ministry, and as of right now, it is uncertain as to where you should go, but I suggested that, if you so desire, that you may come live with us at the Burrow."

"Really?" I beamed, looking to the Weasleys who each offered a warm and welcoming smile, "I don't know what to say."

"Take your time, dear," Mrs. Weasley patted my back, "We know things are difficult for you right now, and just want you to know that you have a family with us."

"Merci." I jumped from my seat and hugged both Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.

❁ ❁ ❁

You're just like them.

The same voice.

The same nightmare.

Night after night.

"Breakfast, Iris." Ron knocked on my door the morning of Christmas Eve.

I dragged myself out of bed, slowly trudging down the stairs to see the Weasleys, Hermione, and Harry already seated at the table. I joined, apologizing for taking so long to wake up. I couldn't deny that I lost a lot of sleep in the prior months. My face certainly showed it. I poked at my breakfast while the others scarfed down their meals. Back in France, we only drank coffee in the early mornings. Celia and I always ate a pastry together, but most people in our town, and even country, were not accustomed to eat so early in the morning.

"You gonna eat that?" Ron leaned over the table, gesturing toward my uneaten sausage link.

"Ron, honestly," Hermione rolled her eyes. "Do you ever stop eating?"

I smiled faintly as I offered my plate to Ron so that he could take the sausage for himself. Hermione watched in disgust as the red-headed boy scarfed down the sausage.

"So, Ginny," Fred raised his brow while stuffing his face with a forkful of scrambled eggs, "Rumor in the Gryffindor Common Room s'that you're dating a Ravenclaw."

"You know 'im, Iris," George continued, "Michael Corner, s'that 'is name?"

"You are dating Michael, Ginny?" I turned to look at youngest Weasley who blushed furiously.

"Some of the Ravenclaws say he and Penelope Clearwater were caught after the Yule Ball--"

"Ronald Weasley," Mrs. Weasley interrupted, "Don't you dare finish that sentence."

"Sorry mum." Ron mumbled with a mouthful of food.

"You didn't answer our question, sis." Fred winked as he took a sip of his coffee.

"Because it isn't any of your business," Ginny replied, kicking her older brother from under the table, "He is nice, you know. Michael. A lot less annoying than you."

"Ginevra," Molly hissed, "Boys. All of you shut your mouths!"

Michael jumped into a relationship quite quickly, I brought my coffee cup to my mouth as silence settled among the table, Hopefully he treats Ginny well. Fred and George grinned at Ginny who threw them a nasty look. Ron continued to stuff his face, and Hermione grimaced as she avoided looking at the boy. Harry, however, stared at his untouched meal. I opened my mouth to speak to the boy, but a loud knock at the door startled everyone in the room. Mr. Weasley excused himself from the table, making his way to the door. Mrs. Weasley quickly stood and followed her husband.

"Who d'ya think it is?" George nudged Fred.

"Dunno." The twins shrugged.

I quickly stood from my seat as Mr. and Mrs. Weasley returned to the kitchen with an unfriendly and uninvited guest. Lucius Malfoy stood with the two, his grey eyes immediately meeting mine. My eyes flickered back and forth between Lucius and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley who both looked distraught.

"What is it? Why is he here?" Ron stood from his seat, too.

"Iris," Mr. Weasley's voice cracked as his eyes flickered away, "You will need to pack your things. It seems plans have changed. Lucius just informed me that Miss Celia Carrow informed the Ministry that the Malfoy family are now your legal guardians."

"What?" My heart jumped into my throat as Lucius watched with a smirk. "I would rather return home and live with Celia."

"I'm afraid the Ministry has voted against that idea, Miss Éclatant," Lucius sneered, "Miss Carrow wants nothing to do with you any longer."

"That isn't true," I spat, tears filling my eyes, "You are lying!"

"Come along, dear." Mrs. Weasley held my arm gently as she led me upstairs.

I sat on the quilted bed, watching as Mrs. Weasley folded the last of my clothing and placed shirts and pants and skirts neatly into my suitcase. My bottom lip quivered as the woman sat beside me. Her hugs were comforting, but could not banish the coldness I felt inside.

The Malfoys.

Of all people, they were the family I would be living with from that moment on. Mrs. Weasley grabbed the quilt from the end of the bed and handed it to me. I ran my fingers gently over the blanket with patches of different shapes and color.

"From the Weasleys," She smiled, kissing my head, "I expect owls from you, dear."

"Oui," I nodded, "Of course."

"Be good." She stood, grabbing my luggage before walking downstairs.

❁ ❁ ❁

Dark. Dim. Dour.

The first words that entered my mind as Lucius led me into Malfoy Manor.

MM.

Perhaps this wasn't a lie after all, but a previously worked out plan.

Surrounded by neatly cut shrubs and black iron fencing, the manor did not offer the same cozy feeling that the Weasley's home did. I missed the family already. I clutched the quilt to my chest as I followed the man into the home. Upon entering the manor, Narcissa greeted Lucius and me. Immediately, the woman wrapped her arms around me, gently patting my head.

"It is so wonderful to see you," She whispered while Lucius scowled at his wife's display of affection.

"You as well." I lied.

I would rather be in the company of a family who weren't utterly rude and disgusting. Well, perhaps the Dursleys.

Draco appeared at the bottom of the staircase, his hands in his pockets.

"Ah, Draco, Lucius greeted his son, "Come greet our guest, Miss Éclatant, and kindly show her to her room."

"Of course, father." Draco smirked, taking my luggage in his hand as he led me up the stairs.

My room faced the rose garden located in the back of the manor. Though dull and dim, I found the room enjoyable. The walls were a charcoal grey; the floor, wood paneled and colored a deep chocolate. Upon entering, there was a vanity on the back wall, just to the right of the window and window seat. To the left of that was my bed, covered in black sheets, blankets, and pillows.

I need to get used to all this black.

"Supper is at seven," Draco stood in the doorway, "You might want to change," He eyed me up and down, frowning at the white sweater dress Mrs. Weasley gifted me not too long before, "Mother and father prefer nicer clothing."

I turned to face the boy, my hands resting on the window sill. Nicer clothing? What a spoiled brat. He rolled his eyes and left to his own room, which, unfortunately was right down the hall from mine.

It is Christmas Eve and I am stuck in a home with people who don't even like me.

Dinner was painfully quiet. The dining table stretched across the room, and Lucius sat at the head, while Narcissa sat at the other end. Draco and I sat across from each other in between the two. I caught Draco's eyes on me a couple of times during the meal.

"So," Narcissa broke the silence, taking a sip from her wine-filled goblet. "Iris, you are a Ravenclaw, then?"

"Yes, Mrs. Malfoy." I answered quietly.

"Narcissa, " She corrected. "You must be an outstanding student, then."

"The Sorting Hat tried to place her in Slytherin." Draco interrupted.

"As she should have been." His father scowled.

"Lucius, please," Narcissa hissed before returning her attention back to me. "The Sorting Hat knows best. I believe there was one other person in your family who belonged to the Ravenclaw House."

"Really?" I listened intently, hoping the woman could tell me more.

"That was decades ago, Narcissa. She was killed, if I recall correctly. She married a Mudblood." Lucius rolled his eyes, displeased with his wife's attempt to comfort me.

"They killed her for marrying a Muggleborn?" My attention shot to Lucius who raised a brow and frowned.

"Of course. If my child married a filthy Mudblood, I certainly would take measures into my own hands. I'm truly surprised and offended that you associate with Miss Granger."

"She is a bright witch," I spat. "She is one of the brightest witches in our year."

"And those blood-traitor Weasleys," Lucius continued, a smirk still plastered on his face; he tried to make me snap, and honestly, I was ready to. "You should have been a Slytherin. You would have better friends."

"Oh," I tilted my head. "Like Draco? And his bratty little friends?"

"Do not speak poorly of my family in my own home!" Lucius shouted, standing from the table. "You should be grateful that we agreed to Miss Celia Carrow's order to have us bring you into our home. You yourself are a filthy blood-traitor."

"Don't you dare speak to me like that," I stood, looking up into his grey eyes. "You call yourself a friend of my parents, but I can't imagine them being friends with someone so cruel."

"Your parents, Miss Éclatant used to have standards," He hissed, lifting my chin with his walking stick. "They used to see the world the way Pureblood families should, but because of you they changed. They failed in raising you. And because of you they are no longer alive."

Lucius snatched his walking stick away, his eyes burning into my skin. He held a heavy gaze as he backed away and exited the room. I looked over to Narcissa who furrowed her brows. She wanted to apologize for her husband's harsh words, but her lips were pressed together. I couldn't blame her for not speaking up. To live with such a harsh person must make one's heart weak. I picked up my plate, as well as Lucius's (the ungrateful man left his plate without even a thank you to his wife or house servants)! I helped the servants clean the dishes by hand that evening in attempt to pass time. Once finished, I toured the manor by myself.

"Lumos." I whispered, holding my wand in front of myself as I walked down the dimly lit halls.

The walls were decorated with portraits of the Malfoy family, as well as a few members of the Black family. At the end of the hall, I found the door to the library, and immediately fell in love. The library was extensive, almost as big as the one at Hogwarts. I searched the shelves for books to read over the holiday.

That night, I fell asleep at my windowsill reading a rather fascinating book about a girl who lost her parents to death. She then moved in with her evil step-family who treat her poorly. Yes, you guess it. Cinderella.

Despite falling asleep on the windowsill seat, I woke up the following morning on my bed, the book placed on my nightstand with an Iris laying across it. The flower sent chills up my arm as I touched it. Realizing that ice covered the flower, I could assume someone charmed the violet plant to preserve it.

Merry Christmas. The piece of parchment attached to the flower read.

I assumed Narcissa left the gift, and felt the need to return the favor. The grandfather clock in the hall read six o'clock, and knowing the Malfoy's schedule already, I knew I would have one hour until they would be ready for breakfast. After dressing in a simple black dress and quickly putting on some light makeup, I rushed to the kitchen as quietly as I could to request the help of the young ladies who worked in the manor. Apparently, four out of the five girls were Muggleborn, the other, a half-blood. I helped the servants of the manor make the early morning meal. They were very kind listeners as I instructed them on how to make various French pastries, and thanked me for the teachings. I set the dining table as it was the previous night, adding a few decorations to liven up the room.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" I directed strands of Christmas lights to the mantle above the fireplace.

"Iris?" I turned to see Narcissa enter the room, Lucius and Draco behind her.

I gestured that the family take a seat as the servants brought out breakfast. Narcissa opened her mouth in awe as she looked at the decorations I hung in the room and spread across the table. I excused the servants, taking the teapot from one of the girls and serving the Malfoy family myself.

Lucius was not very pleased.

"I wanted to thank you for the flower," I told Narcissa after breakfast as we stood in the rose garden; I watched her tend to the flowers, "The Iris," I gestured to the area past the roses, where there were other flowers, "Elle est belle."

"What flower, dear?" She looked down at me, clearly confused by my words.

"You didn't leave the flower?" I furrowed my brows, leaving Narcissa in the garden after she shook her head no.

I ran inside the manor and immediately trudged up the stairs. I passed my room and opened the door to Draco's. He sat on his own windowsill, looking out to the garden where I stood with Narcissa only a few minutes prior. He jumped up upon my arrival.

"Were you watching us?" I walked up to the boy, looking past him and out the window to see Narcissa still standing by the rose bushes.

"Of course not," He inhaled sharply. Such a liar. "Why are you in my room, Éclatant?"

"Why were you in my room last night?" I raised a brow, watching as he struggled to find the words to speak.

"You have no proof that I was in your room." He crossed his arms over his chest.

"Your father certainly didn't wrap me up in blankets and leave me a flower," I scowled. "Why were you in my room?"

"The flower is a Christmas present! You were asleep when I wanted to give it to you! You would have caught a cold if I left you by the window," The boy frowned, "I think I deserve a thank you."

"Merci." I grumbled.

"That didn't sound very genuine. After all I have done for you."

"You have done nothing but act like a selfish brat!" I shouted.

"And you haven't?" Draco shouted back, "You are rubbish!"

"Obviously I'm good to an extent, otherwise you would have taken Pansy Pugface to the ball!"

"I only took you so I wouldn't have to go with her!" He argued.

"But you would have rather put up with me than her, and you have spent the last four years of our lives tormenting me, and you tried to snog me! I sound pretty brilliant, don't I?" I smirked, pleased with myself for leaving Draco speechless.

"I told you, Éclatant" He gritted his teeth, "I only kissed you because--"

"I didn't want anything from you! I don't want anything from you!" I felt tears form in my eyes. I was completely and utterly frustrated with the boy. "How can you be so bloody stupid? To think I would ever want to be touched in such a way by someone as vile as you? Being in this room with you is bloody terrible enough."

The mood dropped completely as Draco plopped back onto the windowsill seat. His smirk vanished from his face as he stared out the window. I felt an ache in my stomach as I watched him sadden. I thought I might have actually hurt his feelings.

"I'll have no choice except to put up with you from now on," He murmured, "If you thought your life was bloody terrible before you came here, it's about to get worse."

"What do you mean?" I took a seat next to the boy.

"Mother and father say the Dark Lord has taken an interest in me. He already has interest in you. We're both bloody screwed."

"I am not becoming a Death Eater." I scowled.

"He'll kill you if you don't!" Draco exclaimed, his eyes flickering as he leaned closer to me, "He wants us to be like our families, Iris. He's making an army."

"You do what your father tells you to do," I spat. "I would rather die than join him."

Silence settled upon us once more. Draco shook; his bottom lip quivered. I never noticed how tired he looked. He hadn't been sleeping, either. Does he have nightmares, too? I looked above our heads to see a green plant sprout from the ceiling with little white berries on each cluster of leaves. I looked back to Draco who also noticed the plant mysteriously appeared.

"Mistletoe," I whispered, about to stand from the windowsill, but Draco grabbed my arm, pleading that I stay without speaking a word, "It's infested with Nargles, you know." I pulled away slightly, feeling my cheeks burst with warmth.

"What are Nargles?" Draco raised a brow.

"No idea," I whispered, "I hope you aren't expecting a kiss."

"Of course not." He replied quietly, a bit annoyed with my words.

"I liked your curly hair," He whispered, in attempt to change the subject, "It made you stand out among the other idiots you hang around."

"That's mean, Malfoy." I frowned.

"As if I care." He scowled.

"I think I better go," I stood from the windowsill, still able to see the mistletoe in my peripheral, "Merry Christmas, Draco."

[TRANSLATIONS]
elle est belle, it is beautiful (or she is beautiful, but the flower in this case is referred to as 'she' as it is feminine)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.3K 161 106
(Cringe Harry Potter fanfic written by a 12 year old) This story is very emotional, exciting, and very long. I spent a lot of time on it, so please e...
3.4K 155 15
" I'm Draco Malfoy." the boy said, his ocean eyes piercing deep into my soul.' Hi! I am back with a new Draco Malfoy story hope you all enjoy i...
1.2K 30 17
You're Harry Potter's twin sister. Voldemort died when Lily and James killed him with Dumbledore by your side. What if Draco is sorted into Gryffindo...
72.8K 2.3K 49
(A Draco Malfoy x she/her Reader fanfiction) Your time as a Hufflepuff at Hogwarts and the Second Wizarding War is a few years behind you as you star...