Olympic Conquest

By JaneKosek

"You already are the person I want you to be. I see so much more in you that you won't allow yourself to see... More

Part I Lainey - Her First Olympics
Cory - You're a God
Lainey - Douchebag
Cory - Going Fast
Lainey - Going Rogue
Cory - Trouble Spot
Lainey - Being Bold
Cory - The Mountain, My Enemy
Lainey - Brightest Star
Cory - Good Morning
Lainey - Forever Connected
Cory - In Control
Lainey - Someone Like Him
Cory - Bringing Everyone Down
Lainey - Nothing She Can Do
Cory - Holding On
Lainey - Victory
Olympic Desire Sneak Preview #1
Part II Lainey - Crazy for You
Cory - Falling into Darkness
Lainey - Welcome Home
Cory - Road to Recovery
Lainey - No Regrets
Cory - His Own Way
Lainey - Expectations
Cory - Smiling Again
Lainey - Lessons in Love
Cory - Heating Up
Lainey - Not Too Fast
Cory - Why Not Me?
Lainey - I'm Here
Cory - Turbulence
Lainey - Floating in Space
Cory - Closing In
Lainey - He's Gone
Cory - A Change of Scenery
Lainey - I'm Back
Cory - At Peace
Lainey - Punishment
Cory - Taking It Slow
Lainey - Setting the Tone
Cory - Top of the Run
Lainey - A Piece of My Heart
Cory - On His Own
Lainey - Unfazed
Cory - Good Energy
Lainey - Patience
Cory - Pretending
Lainey - Rivals
Cory - High Energy
Lainey - Stronger
Cory - Totally New
Lainey - Our Day
Cory - Our Future
Lainey - The Real Gold
Olympic Conquest Screenplay: Dancing with Gravity
Getting to the Airport
Flight Entertainment
The Rink
Practice Makes Perfect
Tightly Wound
Dance with Gravity
Being Flawless
Knowing Best
Moving Forward
A Break
Forgiveness
Taking Care

Life Is Messy

36 3 0
By JaneKosek

INT. OLYMPIC ICE CENTER - TEAM COMPETITION - DRESSING AREA - NIGHT

Lainey's pacing in her skates and track suit. Music blares through her headphones. Sharon walks up.

SHARON
You're almost up Lainey.

LAINEY
Where does the team stand?

SHARON
In second. Behind the Russians. Just stick to your routine, okay?

Lainey nods. She reaches out and steadies herself on Sharon's shoulder as she takes off her track pants. She removes her jacket to reveal a pretty competition outfit.

She unties her skates and ties the right one first, then the left. She unties them and again ties the right one first, then the left.

She gets up and jumps up and down on her skates.

SHARON (CONT'D)
The crowd is big and loud. Use their energy to push you as fast and as hard as you can go. Remember they want you to succeed. Show them what you can do.

Lainey nods and follows Sharon out to the rink.

INT. OLYMPIC ICE CENTER - SECONDS LATER

Lainey skates out onto the ice and looks around at the full arena. She searches for Cory but doesn't see him. Her Mom waves and screams and whistles. Lainey smiles at her as she gets to her starting point and takes a deep breath.

Her music begins and she starts her program. She floats over the ice and nails every one of her jumps, though she doesn't attempt a quad. Her energy is explosive during her footwork and the crowd claps along.

At the end of the program, the crowd, including Lainey's Mom, stands and cheers. They toss flowers and teddy bears onto the ice. Lainey picks up as many as she can and heads toward Sharon, who looks pleased.

INT. OLYMPIC ICE CENTER - TEAM COMPETITION - KISS & CRY AREA - NIGHT

Lainey and Sharon and the rest of the U.S. Skating Team sit excitedly waiting for Lainey's scores. Tension is high as the scores are read but it's not enough to beat the Russian Team. They all look disappointed.

Lainey looks around the arena. She takes out her phone and sends a text to Cory: We came in second? Somehow that feels worse than third. Teach me how to have no regrets. How was your day? 

No answer.

SHARON
Lainey, you have to talk to the press. C'mon.

LAINEY
I can't do it. I can't pretend we're doing everything we can to win. I should have done the quad.

SHARON
You need to get out in front of the press and put a smile on your face. The fans want to hear from you.

INT. OLYMPIC ICE CENTER - PRESS AREA - MOMENTS LATER 

Lainey stands in front of reporters.

OLYMPIC REPORTER #1
Are you disappointed to be in second?

OLYMPIC REPORTER #2
Is your rivalry with the Russians getting to you?

OLYMPIC REPORTER #3
Are you planning to include a quad at all?

LAINEY
I'm really looking forward to getting back out there tomorrow for the free skate. Thank you.

Lainey's phone rings. It's Cory's phone number.

LAINEY (CONT'D)
Excuse me.

Lainey picks up.

LAINEY (CONT'D)
Hey there.

But it's not Cory on the other line.

INTERCUT BETWEEN LAINEY AND CORY'S MOM, MICHELLE MURPHY, IN A VAN

MICHELLE
Hi, this is Cory's mom. You just texted so I thought I'd call you.

LAINEY
Oh, hi, it's very nice to meet you. Are you in Milan? I thought you weren't going to be able to come?

MICHELLE
I wanted to surprise him. Lainey, there's been an accident.

INT. HOSPITAL - NIGHT

Lainey rushes down the hall of the hospital, looking concerned. Olivia follows behind her.

OLIVIA
So who are we seeing?

LAINEY
I told you. His name is Cory. He's on the ski team and he's our neighbor where we're staying.

OLIVIA
How do you know him?

LAINEY 
I don't.

OLIVIA
I don't understand.

LAINEY 
You don't have to.

She sees a nurses desk. She runs up to it.

LAINEY (CONT'D)
Ciao. We're here to see Cory Murphy.

INT. HOSPITAL - CORY'S ROOM - NIGHT

Lainey walks quietly inside Cory's room. She notices Cory's teammate John is sitting across from Cory. She goes to leave but doesn't want to interrupt so she stands out of the way.

JOHN
What if it's something I can't change or work on?

CORY
There's no such thing as "can't"-- you either want to work on it or you don't. Only you can decide if it's better to bury your head in the sand and have it continue to affect your skiing and probably your life, or work on what is really bothering you so you can be the best elite skier in the world. Just remember, life is messy for all of us. No one has it easier or better. We're all just trying to live, work hard, and ideally, try to always be better.

LAINEY (O.C.)
I couldn't agree more.

Cory looks up at the door. Lainey leans against the doorway, looking as beautiful as ever. She has her hair up in a bun, probably on her way to competition.

LAINEY (CONT'D)
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt.

John gets up.

JOHN
No, no, it's okay! I'm John, one of Cory's teammates. And you're... Lainey from the figure skating team. I recognize you from all the news reports. Congrats on last night's performance. I heard you brought down the house.

LAINEY
Thanks. I'm actually on my way to the free skate--we'll see if we can pick up some gold for the U.S. tonight. I thought I'd drop in on my friend Cory to see how he's doing.

She looks at Cory then back at John.

LAINEY (CONT'D)
At least I thought I was his friend. His Mom says he doesn't want to see me. But I convinced her that his brain is just a little crossed at the moment, you know, from his concussion and all. Right Cory?

John looks at Cory then at Lainey.

JOHN
Well, I'm going to head out. I'm famished. Time for lasagna!

LAINEY
I'm really in the wrong sport.

JOHN
Good luck with the competition tonight. I'll be rooting for you and your teammates.

He leans in and whispers in Lainey's ear.

JOHN (CONT'D)
His brain is definitely crossed. 

He winks at her and heads out.

Cory sits up a little straighter in bed.

LAINEY
How are you today?

CORY
Just dandy, and yourself?

LAINEY
Oh you know, just competing at the Olympics. No big deal.

She flashes Cory her gorgeous smile. She sits on the edge of his bed. She looks at him for a long time.

LAINEY
So what happened?

CORY
I tore my ACL and cracked a few ribs and I have a concussion.

LAINEY
No, I mean on the mountain?

CORY
The inevitable. I'm a bit of a mess, if you haven't noticed.

LAINEY
We all are, if you haven't noticed.

She reaches over and fixes his pillows. Her face is just an inch from his. Sparks are flying.

CORY
Lainey, I think it's best if you forget about me.

LAINEY
Now why would I want to do that? I'm just getting to the good stuff.

CORY
I don't think you'll find much good in this broken down body.

LAINEY
This doesn't look broken to me.

She runs her fingers along his chin.

LAINEY (CONT'D)
Or this.

She runs her thumb across his lips.

CORY
Here's what I want you to do. I want you to go to your competition and kick some Russian butt, okay?

LAINEY
Yessir. But I need a good luck--

Lainey leans in and kisses Cory. It's passionate and intense. Lainey pulls aways and stands up. Cory's reeling.

LAINEY (CONT'D)
I'll see you tomorrow. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 15 33
~Book 2 of the Montrose Graduates Series~ Callie Fraser is fresh out of college with no idea where she wants her future to go. A move across the coun...
491K 10.9K 27
Book 1 of the Mayer Familly series After a messy break-up from her NHL all star hockey player boyfriend of 2 years, Allison Mayer winds up from Colo...
338K 9.7K 49
For Rachel Beckett the Olympics was a huge defining moment in her life, something she had been working tirelessly towards since she was five years ol...
10.2M 304K 50
Ryan wasn't expecting to end up with the captain of the hockey team as a roommate, and she certainly didn't expect the initial sexual tension between...