Olympic Conquest Screenplay: Dancing with Gravity

NOTE FROM JANE: Being a filmmaker, I was inspired to adapt Olympic Conquest into a screenplay. The title of the screenplay is Dancing with Gravity. I take Lainey and Cory's story to new places. I wanted to share this version with the people who love these characters. I hope you enjoy it as much I did writing it! ❤️

FADE IN:

ON SCREEN: The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not to triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well. - The Olympic Oath

EXT. VAIL MOUNTAIN - DAY

It's a beautiful day in Vail. The sun is beating down and the wind is still.

CORY MURPHY (24) skis to the top of a Black Diamond run. There are a number of DANGER warning signs. Cory stares down the steep drop.

INT. HOMETOWN ICE ARENA - DAY

LAINEY GOODWIN (22), thin and graceful, glides across the ice. She picks up speed and does a powerful double flip.

INTERCUT CORY/LAINEY

-Cory tucks and takes off down the mountain. He attacks the mountain with great form and speed.

-Lainey attempts a jump but she falls on her landing and slides across the ice. She lies still.

-Cory's ski suddenly hits an icy patch. He sails through the air and then starts tumbling, over and over and over again. He slides to a stop and lies still.

-Lainey gets back up, determined. She brushes ice chips off herself.

-Cory crawls back to where his skis are resting peacefully against the side of the mountain. He reattaches them to his boots and skillfully takes off down the steep slope.

-Lainey POV speed skates around the rink--faster and faster.

-Cory gets to a tree line and he pulls out a piece of rope and a plaque that reads:

A brother. A best friend. Special to those who knew him and those who wish they had. You were truly loved.

Cory reaches out and attaches the plaque to the tree with the rope.

-Lainey skates backwards, picks the ice and jumps in the air. 

MATCH CUT TO:

INT. GOODWIN HOME - BACKYARD LAWN - EVENING

Lainey lands a jump on her back lawn.

Her program music (Stevie Nicks' "Landslide") plays from her phone through a bluetooth speaker. She looks very serious as she practices her routine.

Her dog TARA gets under foot, wanting to play. Lainey pets her and then walks over to the patio.

LAINEY
Tara, come over here and sit. Okay girl.

Tara does as she's told. Lainey kisses her and continues her routine.

Lainey's Mom OLIVIA GOODWIN (40s) exits the house. Tara runs up to her for attention.

Olivia watches Lainey until Lainey notices and stops.

OLIVIA
You have all the grace in the family. I love watching you. 

(beat)

We have about an hour. Are you packed?

Lainey looks disappointed by being brought back to reality. She turns off the music.

LAINEY
Almost.

OLIVIA
Don't forget to check the list I typed up.

LAINEY
Already did.

OLIVIA
You already forgot or you checked it?

LAINEY
Haha. I checked it.

Lainey looks at her phone.

LAINEY (CONT'D)
We don't have to get to the airport so early.

OLIVIA
You can never get to the airport too early... Now, do you have extra laces? We don't need a repeat of the '94 Olympics.

LAINEY
I have extra laces.

OLIVIA
And we can't let them check your skates. Remember what happened to Karla at World's?

LAINEY
Are you trying to make me nervous?

OLIVIA
Sorry, I just want everything to be perfect for you. You've worked so hard for this. 

Lainey goes to head inside. Olivia stops her.

OLIVIA (CONT'D)
Those white strips worked well. And your hair looks nice in this color. 

Olivia continues her inspection. She looks at Lainey's pretty nails.

OLIVIA (CONT'D)
I hope that color isn't too naughty.

LAINEY
Naughty? Mom! Seriously? I need to finish packing.

OLIVIA
I'm just saying... You know how picky the judges are.

Lainey leaves. Her Mom watches her go, looking nervous for them both.