Life Is Messy

INT. OLYMPIC ICE CENTER - TEAM COMPETITION - DRESSING AREA - NIGHT

Lainey's pacing in her skates and track suit. Music blares through her headphones. Sharon walks up.

SHARON
You're almost up Lainey.

LAINEY
Where does the team stand?

SHARON
In second. Behind the Russians. Just stick to your routine, okay?

Lainey nods. She reaches out and steadies herself on Sharon's shoulder as she takes off her track pants. She removes her jacket to reveal a pretty competition outfit.

She unties her skates and ties the right one first, then the left. She unties them and again ties the right one first, then the left.

She gets up and jumps up and down on her skates.

SHARON (CONT'D)
The crowd is big and loud. Use their energy to push you as fast and as hard as you can go. Remember they want you to succeed. Show them what you can do.

Lainey nods and follows Sharon out to the rink.

INT. OLYMPIC ICE CENTER - SECONDS LATER

Lainey skates out onto the ice and looks around at the full arena. She searches for Cory but doesn't see him. Her Mom waves and screams and whistles. Lainey smiles at her as she gets to her starting point and takes a deep breath.

Her music begins and she starts her program. She floats over the ice and nails every one of her jumps, though she doesn't attempt a quad. Her energy is explosive during her footwork and the crowd claps along.

At the end of the program, the crowd, including Lainey's Mom, stands and cheers. They toss flowers and teddy bears onto the ice. Lainey picks up as many as she can and heads toward Sharon, who looks pleased.

INT. OLYMPIC ICE CENTER - TEAM COMPETITION - KISS & CRY AREA - NIGHT

Lainey and Sharon and the rest of the U.S. Skating Team sit excitedly waiting for Lainey's scores. Tension is high as the scores are read but it's not enough to beat the Russian Team. They all look disappointed.

Lainey looks around the arena. She takes out her phone and sends a text to Cory: We came in second? Somehow that feels worse than third. Teach me how to have no regrets. How was your day? 

No answer.

SHARON
Lainey, you have to talk to the press. C'mon.

LAINEY
I can't do it. I can't pretend we're doing everything we can to win. I should have done the quad.

SHARON
You need to get out in front of the press and put a smile on your face. The fans want to hear from you.

INT. OLYMPIC ICE CENTER - PRESS AREA - MOMENTS LATER 

Lainey stands in front of reporters.

OLYMPIC REPORTER #1
Are you disappointed to be in second?

OLYMPIC REPORTER #2
Is your rivalry with the Russians getting to you?

OLYMPIC REPORTER #3
Are you planning to include a quad at all?

LAINEY
I'm really looking forward to getting back out there tomorrow for the free skate. Thank you.

Lainey's phone rings. It's Cory's phone number.

LAINEY (CONT'D)
Excuse me.

Lainey picks up.

LAINEY (CONT'D)
Hey there.

But it's not Cory on the other line.

INTERCUT BETWEEN LAINEY AND CORY'S MOM, MICHELLE MURPHY, IN A VAN