Lainey - Not Too Fast

The next morning, I find Cory standing in a robe in front of the window. I pull on the other robe and put my arms around him from behind. Together, we look outside at the view. Vail Mountain glows as the sun rises above it. "Someday, I would love to have this view from our home," I say.

Cory leans into me. "That can be arranged."

I run my hand through his blonde hair and over the stubble on his face. "I've decided to take your advice."

"Oh yeah? What advice is that?"

"I'm going to go back home. Seize the opportunities, like you said. I feel like I have more skating left in me. I'd like to have the surgery on my hip and hopefully be competing again in a few months. Do you think that's crazy?"

Cory turns to face me and pushes my hair behind my shoulders. He runs his hands down my back, sending an excited shiver down my spine. "No, it's not crazy. I think you're making the right decision."

"You promise we won't give up on each other. We'll make every effort to stay together, right?" I stare into his eyes, hoping to see sincerity in his eyes.

"You have my word." I believe him. The anxiety I was having about my decision falls away.

"It's hard to think about leaving you but there's a flight out this evening. Shall I take it?"

A look of sadness crosses his face but then, "I think you should."

"I could delay another day. I'm pretty sure the opportunities will still be there tomorrow."

"No, you're right. You need to get back. We should get ready and check out."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure."

"Can we spend the day together? Just you and me? I'd like do something before I leave."

"I'll have to check my schedule." He smiles at me. I know he's teasing but I note a distance already starting between us. I put my hand on his chest and look up into his eyes. "Hey, don't go to that far away place, okay. I need you. I love you, you know."

Cory nods, deep in thought. After a moment, he kisses me softly. "I love you too Lainey – more than you know." He takes me in his arms and we lose ourselves to the moment. Knowing the day won't last forever, I whisper, "Okay, I know I could personally stay in this room with you forever, but we should check out. It's important we have enough time for what I want to do before I need to leave for the airport."

"Are you going to tell me what we're doing?"

I hesitate, unsure how he will react at my idea. I decide it's best not to tell him. "No, I'm afraid you will say no if I tell you."

"Say no to you? I've learned resistance is futile."

We both laugh. "I'm glad you're learning. Join me in the shower?"

"You read my mind."

We take a shower together and can't seem to let it end. We finally pull ourselves away from each other and we dry off and get dressed. We pack our few belongings and check out, thanking the manager again for such a wonderful welcome and evening. He tells us, "Consider this your home away from home."

We head out to where we left the snowmobile the night before.

I get an idea. "May I drive?" I ask.

"Are you sure you're up for it? It can get twitchy."

"I'll have you to guide me, right?"

"Okay, but take it slow. Here, let me start the engine for you."

Cory turns the key and the engine rumbles to life. He lets me take the lead in the front of the snowmobile. He sits down behind me and wraps his arms around me and positions my hands on the handlebars. "Put your hands here and here. You stop the snowmobile with this lever."

I gun the engine.

"Easy Lainey. Get used to the machine. Remember to take it slow."

"How do we get to the top of the mountain?"

"You want to go to the top of the mountain?"

"You said we could go where I wanted to take you."

"Okay, head up that way." He points to a trail. I follow his instructions and we slowly move the snowmobile down the trail away from the lodge.

"Good job! You're doing great Lainey."

"Thanks! It doesn't feel twitchy at all."

We make our way up through some tight trails and eventually get to a clearing. "Can I take it faster here?"

"Okay but not too fast. This machine has a life of its own."

I accelerate and the snowmobile takes off, faster than I expect. The quick momentum throws Cory off the back. Instead of applying the brakes, my adrenaline takes over and I hit the accelerator even more. I'm flying through the snow. I hear Cory yell for me to slow down.

I feel like I'm on the edge of control and I'm liking it. Let's see what this baby can do. My competitive spirit takes over. I speed up even more. There's nothing in my path so a little speed should be fine. Cory's just being overly cautious.

And that's when the snowmobile hits a rock that was covered by fresh snow. With all that speed the machine flies straight up and then back down; it hits the ground hard and I'm thrown forward off of the front. This must be what it feels like to fly – it's glorious. Until my entire body slams head first into a tree. I hear and feel my helmet crack. I crumble to the ground.

The next thing I know, I'm lying down and all I can see is the sky. It's really blue, I think to myself. The sun shines down blinding me until Cory reaches my side. He leans over my face, blocking the sun. I can see the worry in his eyes. He's saying something but I can't hear him. I can only see his lips moving. I reach up my hand to his face – but my hand won't respond. I can't move my body.