Being Flawless

INT. OLYMPIC ICE CENTER - AFTERNOON - THE NEXT DAY

The free skate team competition is a blur of VARIOUS SKATERS with Lainey being last up.

When it's almost Lainey's turn, Lainey unties her skates and ties them again, right first, left second. She unties them and again ties the right first, the left second. She's ready.

The crowd is roaring for a performance. Lainey shakes her limbs to release her nerves.

INT. OLYMPIC ICE CENTER - AFTERNOON - LATER

A smiling Annika passes Lainey as Lainey makes her way to the ice. Lainey sees the crowd still excited about the Russian Team performance. She tries to ignore it all.

Lainey completes a flawless performance. Again, no quad. The crowd goes wild. Lainey smiles with uncertainty.

INT. OLYMPIC ICE CENTER - LATER

Lainey and her American skating teammates take home the silver. Lainey doesn't look happy. Annika is ecstatic with the Russian gold.

INT. LAINEY'S OLYMPIC APARTMENT - COUCH - NIGHT

Lainey and her Mom do a video call with Ted and Brandon, who are hollering and cheering with OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS.

TED
What does the medal look like?

Lainey unzips her team jacket and pulls it out for her dad and brother to see.

OLIVIA
We're all so happy for you honey. We can't wait to watch you skate in the singles competition.

LAINEY
Thanks... I'm exhausted. Would you mind if I went to bed now?

TED
Of course.

OLIVIA
Sure. We'll get you a massage tomorrow. Get some rest. 

Lainey leaves.

INT. LAINEY'S OLYMPIC APARTMENT - LAINEY'S BEDROOM - NIGHT

As Lainey lies in bed, she examines the silver medal. She runs her fingers over every groove. A tear falls down her face.

She places the silver medal in the drawer of her nightstand. She checks her phone. No calls or texts from Cory. She opens her messaging and writes a text to him: Hey, I hope you're feeling better. Let me know you're okay. I'm thinking about you. We got silver tonight. Call me when you can. Xoxo

She turns off her light and tries to fall asleep.

INT. CORY'S MOM'S HOME - CORY'S BEDROOM - LATER

Cory wakes from a deep sleep. It's dark outside. He looks out his window at the Colorado horizon. Vail Mountain stares back under the moonlight. The stars fill the night sky. His eyes quickly find the Dog Star shining brightly. The star twinkles brighter at him, as if it's trying to tell him something.

He looks at his phone. He texts Lainey. Silver? That's fantastic. I'm sorry I missed your performance. I flew back home to start physical therapy. Very proud of you. It's very quiet without you around. - C

He then texts his coach Jeremy. Could you please tell the team that this is their moment and they can win? I'm sorry I failed you all. - C

Jeremy responds: I'll tell them and you didn't fail. You tried. Thank you. - J

INT. OLYMPIC SHUTTLE BUS - DAYS LATER

Lainey gets on the shuttle bus with her skating gear. She sees some of herSKATING TEAMMATES. No one's seated together. They all have their headsets on and don't make eye contact. She goes to an empty seat and puts on her headphones and plays her program music.