Lainey - Brightest Star

"Mom, we need to put out another setting for dinner. Cory from the ski team is going to join us. He's heading over now."

"Who's Cory? Is he the one who was with you this morning at the rink?"

"That's the one," I admit.

"How do you know this boy? And why is he coming here for dinner?"

"I invited him. We met him on the plane remember?"

Mom gives me a perplexed look as she places another setting on the table.

"The one you were arguing with? Be careful with him Lainey. He's a player. Don't fall for him or you will be in a world of hurt."

"We're just friends mom. It turns out, he's not so bad. I think he has some problems he's dealing with though. I'm trying to be nice to him. He looks like he needs a friend."

"You have plenty of friends. Promise me you'll be careful."

"I will. You worry too much."

"That's what moms do," she says.

I hear a knock. I rush over and open the door. Cory is standing in the hallway with a piece of paper in his hands.

"Hi," he says.

"Hi back," I say.

He hands the piece of paper to me. "I couldn't bring flowers or wine, so I thought I would draw them for you."

I laugh and look at the drawing. It's a pretty horrible stick figure drawing of a bouquet of roses and a bottle of wine.

"It's beautiful," I say. "I know right where to put it."

"No it's not, but it's the thought that counts, right?"

"Yes, thank you. Please come on in." I walk to the table and place the picture in the center.

Cory comes inside. "It smells amazing in here."

"Don't tell my mom, but she's an incredible cook. I don't want it to go to her head."

"What don't you want going to my head?" Mom asks as she enters the dining room with hot garlic bread.

"She was just telling me what a wonderful cook you are. I can't wait to try your food. It smells delicious. Thank you for having me," Cory says.

"My daughter invited you," she says, rather coldly.

"Mom! Be nice," I say to her. "So I'll make the introductions. Mom, this is Cory. Cory, this is my mom." Cory extends his hand to my mother. She takes it and lets it go quickly.

"Lainey, can you offer your guest a drink?" She looks at Cory and says, "We don't have wine."

"Oh right, what would you like to drink? A protein shake? A sports drink? A smoothie? Juice? Water?" I ask.

"I'll just have water."

"I'll be right back." I head into the kitchen with mom to grab some water.

"Mom, please be civil to Cory. He's under a lot of pressure with the Games. You know how it is."

She sighs. "Okay, you're right. I'll be nice because he's competing. But I won't be nice if he lays a finger on you."

"When did you start being a prude?" I jest.

"Lainey! That boy is a walking hormone and another distraction you can't afford. Can we please just get through these Games without any more drama?"