Cory - Good Energy

I run through the snow to the mountain so I won't be late for the downhill race. The last two interviews took longer than I thought. While I promised to be nicer to the media this go around, I also made promises to my teammates that I intend to keep. I was a royal fuck up during the last Olympics and I am ready to prove to my team that they can count on me. It's strange to actually be fighting for my sport again. Since Ashton died, I had taken my talent for granted. I abused it every which way I could. I pinch myself that I'm back on top at the World Cup and stronger than ever and soon the results will determine the Olympic Team. There's a buzz in the air. I let that energy carry me as fast as I can to the top of the mountain.

"Cory, you're up next! Where have you been?"

"Sorry coach, I had to deal with the media."

"We're not going to put up with your bad behavior Cory."

"I know, I know coach. They were just interviews. I promise, I won't be late again."

I suit up and get on my skis and I make it to the gate in time for my run. The starting beep goes off and I launch out of the gate and everything feels right. My position, the skis, the snow, the wind, the sun – everything. I could never explain how one run can be perfect and the next one disastrous. Thankfully, this run is perfection. I'm carving my way down the mountain with absolute focus. I reach the bottom and fly through the air over the last bump in the course. The idea that I was only ever worthy of the negative things that happened to me vanish. I feel an acceptance of who I am take over.

At the bottom of the mountain, the crowd is going nuts. I wonder why they are going so crazy. I stop and look at my time. It's a new world record. Holy fuck! How the hell did I do that? Emotions run through me and before I know it, I'm tackled by my teammates.

Man, I haven't felt this good in a really long time. My teammates are happy. My coaches are happy. And I realize, I'm happy too. I answer more questions from journalists, who are amazed that I came in first place yet again. I've been tearing up the World Cup races with a renewed energy. If my winning streak continues, it's no question that I will be on the U.S. Olympic Ski Team. As I make my way down the media line, I realize that this Olympics is more personal than any of these people could ever know. Through the lessons the mountain has thrown my way, I've learned that my work here does have value. I see that I inspire others to excel and reach for their dreams. The Olympics have given me purpose.

I thank the media, something I never thought I would ever do when just a few years ago, they all disgusted me with their prying eyes and savage accounts of my life choices. But I deserved it. All of it. I make no excuses for my past.

After the ceremonies, I take off by myself to clear my head. I stop in a nearby coffee shop. As my espresso is being prepared, I hear a voice I recognize. I immediately turn to the television that hangs from the ceiling and I notice Lainey on the news. Only this time, she's being interviewed at the Olympic ice arena in Colorado Springs – only a couple of hours from here. She's more beautiful than ever. I walk as close to the television as possible and ask the barista to turn up the volume. 

The interviewer asks about her fondest memory of being at the Olympics. Lainey catches her breath. I catch mine. Before she responds, she swipes her finger across one eye as if there were a tear she needed to wipe away. I push myself even closer to the monitor. The raw emotion tells me she's thinking about us. It dawns on me that I may still have a chance.

The idea that Lainey may still have feelings for me stirs up my own emotions. I would do anything to get her back. I decide the only thing I can do is try to find her. I get to my car and head toward Colorado Springs. I have no idea if Lainey will still be there but I have to try. It can't be a coincidence that I saw her on the news and she's only two hours away.

I stop at a local florist and buy some flowers – this simple act calms me down. I arrive at the ice arena. I'm nervous as hell. It reminds me of the time I helped Lainey break into the ice rink at the Games. I smile thinking about how rebellious she can be. The rink is empty and all of the skaters are gone. I take a seat and look out over the ice. I see a vision of Lainey doing her triple axel and her big smile after landing it. The smile that stole my heart that early morning almost four years ago.

I take in the silence of the rink. It's comforting – like standing on the top of a mountain is for me. I understand Lainey's love for it. After a while, I leave and walk back to my car. The excitement of being back at the World Cup and racing again is suddenly overshadowed by the thought that I may not see Lainey. I could always try to call her but I'd rather see her face-to-face for what I want to tell her.

I enter the nearby hotel to see if she might be staying there, and that's when I see her – talking to NBC officials. I just stand, rooted in one spot, unable to do anything but look at her.

"Excuse me."

I look up from my reverie and see a guy about my age. "Yes?"

"You're Cory, right? It's so remarkable how you came back from your injury."

"Thanks." We shake hands as I wonder how this guy knows so much about me...

"I don't think we've ever met. I'm Mark. Lainey's fiancé."

The air is immediately sucked out of my chest. "You're her ... fiancé?" I can hardly bring myself to say it.

"We've been together for years – off and on. We're high school sweethearts. You knew that right?"

I look over at Lainey unable to process that she's engaged.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I know you and Lainey had a brief thing between the two of you. I hope I didn't-"

"No, no, it's cool. It's nice to meet you. I really need to take off." I look down at the flowers I have in my hand. "Would you give Lainey these flowers?" I hand them to Mark.

"Sure, no problem. Congrats again."

"Thanks." I move quickly across the room and when I do, Lainey's eyes meet mine. She smiles and waves and asks me to wait. I wave back. As soon as she turns back to the officials, I take off out the front door as quietly as I can. I walk to my car and get inside. All of the good energy from earlier in the day is completely gone.