Getting to the Airport

INT. BAR - BATHROOM - EVENING

A drunk Cory has sex with a HOT WOMAN in the last stall of the women's bathroom.

CORY
Oh yeah, baby.

HOT WOMAN
Don't stop! Yes!

Cory picks up the pace as he gets more and more turned on and he manages to finally finish as the Hot Woman screams in ecstasy.

Hot Woman stands and pulls her bra down, clasps it and puts on some lip gloss.

HOT WOMAN
You're a God Cory. That was fun.

She rubs her hand along Cory's well-built chest and kisses his cheek on the way out. Cory zips up his pants and leans against the cool brick of the bathroom wall.

The stall door whips open and an ANGRY GUY drags Cory out and punches him. Cory falls to the ground. Hot Woman watches.

The Angry Guy kicks Cory and snatches his wallet, pulling out Cory's passport, which Cory manages to grab back.

Hot Woman kneels down in front of Cory. She runs her hand along his chiseled chin.

HOT WOMAN
Such a pretty face.

Angry Guy and Hot Woman run out of the bathroom together. Cory winces in pain. He looks at his watch.

INT. GOODWIN HOME - BATHROOM - CONTINUOUS

Lainey sheds her workout clothes. She looks at herself in the mirror. She turns sideways and puts her hands on her flat belly. She has a large bruise on her hip and small bruises elsewhere.

Naked, she steps on the scale and looks down to check her weight. Her feet are calloused and red, especially around the ankle. She pulls out a measuring tape and measures her thighs.

Lainey steps off the scale and opens a journal. She writes down her weight, the measurement of her thighs and the calories she ate at dinner. We see that she has done this every day for years. And for each day there is only one meal listed.

Written at the top of the page: FAT DON'T FLY.

INT. BAR - BATHROOM - NIGHT

Cory washes his hands and face. His phone rings. The phone reads: JEREMY.

CORY
Shit.

He answers.

CORY (CONT'D)
I'm on my way.

JEREMY
Where the hell are you? You were supposed to be on the shuttle bus twenty minutes ago.

CORY
I'm driving. I'll be there soon.

JEREMY
If your head's not in the game, I don't want you here.

CORY
Dude, you know I'm the best. I'll pull through like I always do.

JEREMY (CONT'D)
Just get here. Fast.

He hangs up. Cory sighs.

INT. GOODWIN HOME - BATHROOM - EVENING

Lainey puts on the last of her makeup and places it in a travel case. She adds Band-Aids and pours a bunch of ibuprofen pills into a baggy, tossing a couple in her mouth.

She turns to the back of the door where her ice skating dresses hang. She grabs them and walks to her bedroom.

INT. GOODWIN HOME - BEDROOM - CONTINUOUS

Lainey enters. Posters of skaters line the walls and skating awards fill the shelves, along with pictures of Lainey and her Dad on the ice--he in his hockey gear and Lainey in her figure skating outfit. Laid out on her bed is her Olympic figure skating jacket.

Lainey places the competition dresses in an overstuffed garment bag. She steps up to her dresser and opens a jewelry box. She pulls out a thin beaded bracelet and puts it on.

She grabs her backpack with her ice skates, checks for towels, guards and a screwdriver. She pulls on her Olympic jacket and takes hold of the garment bag and a suitcase about as tall as she is.

At the door, Lainey looks back, her eyes settle on all her skating awards. She looks anxious as she closes the door.

EXT. BAR - NIGHT

Cory heads outside to the cold, snowy night. He lights a cigarette and stumbles around until he eventually finds his Jeep. He gets in the driver's side.

CORY
Now how the hell do I get to the airport?

He pulls out his phone to map it. He tries to start the vehicle but nothing happens.

He orders a Lyft instead. 

INT. GOODWIN HOME - EVENING

Lainey enters the foyer to find her mother, with her own bags, and father, TED GOODWIN, who sits in a wheelchair, waiting for her.

TED
Have I told you how proud I am of you? My little girl has grown up to be such a talented, beautiful woman.

LAINEY
Thanks Dad.

TED
I remember your first competition when you skated to "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini". Remember that?

OLIVIA
We still have your tutu.

Lainey smiles.

LAINEY
(to her Dad) My long skate will be dedicated to you. 

TED
Thanks Sweetheart. I wish I could be there. It's too hard to travel like this.

He gestures to the chair.

LAINEY
I understand.

TED
Your brother and I will be here rooting for you the entire time.

OLIVIA
(yells) Brandon, come say good-bye. (beat) Brandon?!

BRANDON (late teens), Lainey's younger brother, comes shuffling in.

BRANDON
Get a gold, okay?

LAINEY
Sure, no problem. 

Olivia hugs Brandon.

OLIVIA
Take care of your father. I have some meals in the freezer and there are menus for carryout in the drawer.

He nods and shuffles off. Lainey kisses her dad's cheek.

LAINEY
Bye Dad.

He's crying. She hugs him.

LAINEY (CONT'D)
Dad, don't cry.

OLIVIA
He's a crier honey. That's why I love him.

Olivia gives Ted a kiss on the lips.

OLIVIA (CONT'D)
I'll take lots of video. Please make sure Brandon gets outside and doesn't sit all day on the computer.

She wipes a tear from his cheek. Lainey watches their loving exchange.

TED
I will. I love you. Be safe. (to Lainey) And listen Lainey, no matter what happens, we love you.

LAINEY
Love you too.

Lainey and her mom leave and close the door. Ted reaches in his pocket and pulls out a handkerchief. He wipes his eyes.