Tightly Wound

EXT. CORY'S OLYMPIC APARTMENT - DAY

Cory and Dave walk up to the door. There's a package on the ground. Dave picks it up.

DAVE
Earplugs?

Cory smirks as he takes the package and shoves them in his pocket. They enter the condo.

DAVE (CONT'D)
I'm heading out for a meeting with the coaches. You're okay?

CORY
I'm fine. If you don't disturb me the rest of the night, I promise to get a full night's rest.

Dave contemplates.

DAVE
Okay, I'll leave you alone tonight and hopefully we'll see some good things on the mountain tomorrow. Break that trust and I'll never leave your side.

Cory nods. Dave leaves.

INT. CORY'S OLYMPIC APARTMENT - MOMENTS LATER

Cory pours ice into a bath and then sits down into it. As soon as he leans back and closes his eyes, he hears loud music above him and then a loud THUMP and another THUMP. He opens one eye.

He gets out of the tub.

EXT. LAINEY'S OLYMPIC APARTMENT - NIGHT

Lainey opens the door to find Cory with wet hair. He's wearing his ski jacket. Stevie Nicks' "Landslide" plays.

CORY
Do you think you could keep the music down? I'm still trying to catch up on sleep.

LAINEY
Ah, sorry, I was just going through my routine. (beat) You sleep in your jacket?

CORY
Now that I've been so rudely interrupted, I thought I'd go into Milan for some carb-loading. You should come with me. The anxiety in here is stifling.

LAINEY
I don't carb-load.

CORY
That's a shame as you're in the country with the best pizza and pasta in the world.

Lainey grabs her phone and turns off the music.

CORY (CONT'D)
Great song by the way. A little surprised it's Stevie Nicks and not Beyonce.

LAINEY
If you must know, it's for my dad. It makes me feel like he's there on the ice with me.

Cory takes that in.

CORY
C'mon, let's go walk off this energy.

LAINEY
No, I can't go anywhere. I have to concentrate.