King of Death

By Kernia_

Adrik When I claimed her, that was it. I made her mine and betrayed her. She longed for a story that wasn't m... More

Author's Note
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six
Epilogue
Venomous Mistake

Thirteen

275 10 1
By Kernia_

Both heads turned in my direction. They were so engrossed in this conversation that they hadn't seen me sit up and listen to their every word.

I was pregnant, and the baby was healthy. I watched the white walls to the white sheets around my legs in the heat of silence. Why did I feel nothing? I was numb and had enough time to think of what I needed to do from there. I touched my head, and there was a bandage around it.

"Giulia!" Greta ran to my bedside. "Are you alright?" She reached for my hand, and I pulled back. It was instinct and had nothing to do with the split second of her disappointment when Nurse Balotelli mentioned my baby.

"Whatever drugs I'm on, it's working well. I feel nothing, so I'm fine." My voice was raspy, but I ignored it. I'd been out for hours.

"Miss Giulia," The nurse walked to my bedside. "Do you need anything?"

"Yes." She nodded, taking her clipboard. "Water and those tests you mentioned earlier."

"We can schedule that after we speak to Mr Rossi—"

"It's my baby. None of these men occupying this floor or paying these hospital bills is the father, so Miss Balotelli, it concerns none of them." I groaned, feeling the need to curse the universe for all the shit she kept pouring on me—unemployment, financially broke, alone, living a lie for years, and lastly, without my baby's father. I was so done and ready to vanish and start over by myself.

The woman's face soured as she searched for the right words. She'd talk, I know it, so I reverted to manipulation. I didn't know if she would care, but it's worth a shot. "I'm keeping my baby, and because of its father, Mr Rossi will make me abort it." Her eyes widened. "You have to help me by keeping silent. I only want to know how healthy that baby is to move on from here."

I could see Greta from the corner of my eye, and I played the part with tears and a lying tongue. I wasn't lying—not that I truthfully knew what would happen to me and that baby.

"Right away, Miss Giulia." Nurse Balotelli's brows furrowed as she dipped her chin. "I will return with the ultrasound machine."

"Giulia?" Greta scolded immediately as the soft click of the door resonated in the room.

"Is Raffaele dead?" I ignored her disapproval.

"Head gone. As good as dead." It's what he deserved for attacking me after Adrik warned him. Did he still follow my life after he left me? I excused that one time but did he still fucking do it? "There was no trace of him or the bullet. How does he do it? How did you fall in l—"

"You'd better watch your next words to me, Greta Rossi." I gritted my teeth. "You fell in love with Alessandro, no? Then you can answer your question." She opened her mouth and closed it. I was so fucking tired of every and anybody. "And for the last time, I know nothing about him, Greta. I will spell it out for you—N-O-T-H-I-N-G—nothing. That's what's wrong. Everything is wrong. I've lived a lie for ten years. The father of my child kidnapped me almost four months ago. I fell in love with him, and he sent me away. I don't feel safe because my supposed brother tried to take my life last night, and the man I loved killed him. That man stalks me after he fucking let me go, and now I am pregnant with no job, no money and no family at all." I groaned, holding my head because of the sharp pain that appeared from my outburst.

"You have us, Giuls." Greta scolded. "You're not alone."

"You won't get it. I appreciate everything you, your husband and his father did for me, but I don't know myself or what I like. I don't know what I want to do or want to be. I know nothing but the confines of a home. I feel nothing, Greta."

The door opened, and Nurse Batoletti stepped in with a wan smile. "How long will this take?" I swallowed the lump in my throat after it croaked on my words.

"About fifteen minutes, Miss Giulia. I'll be quick."

"Did you see my husband, Nurse?" Greta asked, taking a seat at the edge of the bed.

"And I had to steer him away." She sighed. "Luckily, he received a phone call. I think he left the hospital." Greta nodded. "Can you remove your nightgown for me, Giulia, or do you need help?" I bit my comment about how I wasn't disabled and removed it. I blocked my exposed breasts and lay down, watching her work the machine.

"And the blood test?" She folded the sheets below my belly, and I almost laughed at my naivety, thinking I was bloated. I just didn't want to believe any of it.

"It takes one week for the results. It's a test on prenatal care where we know if the baby will have any birth deficiencies."

"Birth deficiencies?" She sprayed a cold gel on my belly, and I bit my lip.

"Edward syndrome, Down syndrome or neural tube defect." I smiled wanly, not knowing what any of these things meant. "Are there any genetic conditions in your family?"

"I don't know." I swallowed, closing my eyes to prevent the tears.

"That's alright. We'll figure it out." I closed my eyes and sighed. It remained closed even when the nurse spread the gel over my stomach. "You can look." The first heartbeat made the tears leave my eyes. Greta smiled, teary-eyed, holding my hand. "This is your baby," Nurse Batoletti smiled, pointing to the screen. "That's its head, and the feet end here—"

"What's wrong," Greta asked, and I frowned, not knowing anything. Ugh.

"I'm getting two heartbeats," She bit her lip and smiled. That did nothing to stop my tears. Were they happy? I don't know. What I did know was I was scared. "Here she is." She pointed to the screen. "Monoamniotic twins."

"Two?" Greta whispered.

"Yes. Do you have twins in your family, Miss Giulia?" She smiled, looking at the screen.

"Yes. I have a sister." I wiped my wet cheeks.

"Marvellous." No. Someone stole me from her. "Monoamniotic pregnancies can be complicated. You must return next week for another ultrasound and your blood test results." She wiped my stomach and started to turn her machine off.

"Can I lose my babies?" My voice choked.

"No. Everything will be perfect with the right care and close monitoring."

"Thank you."

"I can get your pregnancy brochures if you like," I nodded. "Because of the limited time, I couldn't get you a sonogram printed image."

"Next week," I nodded. "I'll get it next week."

"Friday at eleven a.m. I'll see you then." I smiled and nodded as she covered the machine to leave.

"Don't speak of it, Miss Batoletti. It's for the better." She nodded, resigned.

I put my dress on and basked in the silence, waiting for Greta's questions. I had nothing to say but think about my babies. Two. I was so scared, but I needed to do this.

"You have a sister?"

"I remember her through a dream. The day that man stole me as we chased a grey butterfly in Italy. We look so much alike." I answered without looking at her.

"You're leaving, aren't you?" Greta started crying. I grind my teeth, not looking at her. She wouldn't understand, but I needed to do this.

"I am."

"To where?"

"Far away." From the Cosa Nostra. From the stalker of a man I loved. 'Loved'—Past tense. I didn't want to think about it because I'd sulk, cry and hope for something that wasn't for me. It's time to let everything go.

"Are you sure?"

"I need to do this, Greta. I may be scared, but I'm doing it."

"Fine," She sniffled, and the door opened.

Alessandro walked in and frowned when he saw his wife's troubled countenance. "What's going on?" I didn't miss his tense shoulders.

"I want to leave." He frowned, grabbing his cell phone. Greta moaned again, and I sighed.

"I can have that arranged—"

"No, Alessandro. I want to leave." He stilled, searching my face for a joke, and when he found none, he looked at his wife's hurtful eyes. He slid his phone back into his pocket and nodded with a clenched jaw.

"As you wish. When?" If I knew him, I'd think he was losing his mind.

"Next week. Saturday." A sob broke into the room—Greta's.

"Giulia." She begged. "In a month, please."

"No." I thought about my babies and my swollen belly. "Next week, Saturday, Alessandro."

"I can get you a list of small countries that are safe for you."

"Thank you. When did the doctor say I can leave this hospital?"

"Today. I've brought you clothes to change."

"Thank you. I need some privacy." He nodded, frowning at me and then his wife.

Alessandro left, and I had to listen to Greta cry until we arrived at the house.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

What do you think will happen when Giulia leaves because it's about to drop your jaw. (Hopefully)😭

Twin babies...but still....guess the genders.

Vote, follow, comment and share.😚💛🖤💛

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.7M 138K 43
Warning: THIS BOOK IS FOR MATURE READERS ONLY (18+). CONTAINS MATURE SCENES, VIOLENCE, AND LOTS OF CURSING. (A sequel to The Infamous Rafael Vali...
37.8K 718 48
Irina Inessa Smirnov is twenty years of age. She wanted nothing more than to be independent and loved after years of being without her parents. Giov...
12.4M 372K 38
__โค๏ธŽ The Maid and the Mafia King โค๏ธŽ__ Losing her father at the age of 20, Bella started to search for jobs. Not to mention, she already was doing 2 j...
136K 2.5K 40
๐„๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ข๐จ๐ญ ๐ƒ๐ž ๐‹๐ฎ๐œ๐š 25 years old, a billionaire and Mafia Don. Everyone fears, admires and respects him. ๐’๐ข๐ซ๐ž๐ง๐š ๐•๐š๐ฌ๐ข๐ฅ๐ข๐จ๐ฌ 20 yea...