WE NEED EACH OTHER [DRARRY]

By seriouslymeh

This must be a mistake... I scanned the crowd until I found the silver eyes. They looked back, blank. *** Wha... More

Introduction
Aesthetics + Playlist
CHAPTER ONE : DRAMA
CHAPTER TWO : AGREEMENTS
CHAPTER THREE : RELATIONSHIPS
CHAPTER FOUR : THE ROYAL GALA
CHAPTER FIVE : THE ROYAL GALA (PART 2)
CHAPTER SIX : THE ROYAL GALA (PART 3)
CHAPTER SEVEN : TRAIN GOSSIPS
CHAPTER NINE : BACK TO HOGWARTS
CHAPTER TEN : BACK TO HOGWARTS (PART 2)
✨ BONUS CHAPTER ✨
CHAPTER ELEVEN : MORNING MISHAPS
CHAPTER TWELVE : SWITCH PLEASE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN : UPS AND DOWNS
CHAPTER FOURTEEN : NOT-SO-ENEMIES
CHAPTER FIFTEEN : EVENING AT HOGSMEADE
CHAPTER SIXTEEN : THE ACTUAL FIRST DAY
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN : MUTUAL FRIENDS
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN : FIGHT IN FLIGHT
CHAPTER NINETEEN : STANDING UP
CHAPTER TWENTY : LETTERS CREATE MATTERS
CHAPTER TWENTY : LETTERS CREATE MATTERS (PART 2)
✨BONUS CHAPTER TWO✨
CHAPTER TWENTY ONE : WARNINGS
CHAPTER TWENTY TWO : PLOTTING THE PLANS
CHAPTER TWENTY THREE: SEEKERS ASSEMBLE
CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR : SECRETS ARE OUT
CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE : SCARED, POTTAH?
CHAPTER TWENTY SIX : MALFOY VS. POTTER
CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN : HIDE AND SEEK
CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT : ACHOO!
CHAPTER TWENTY NINE : DORMMATES?
CHAPTER THIRTY : LISTENER
✨BONUS CHAPTER THREE✨
CHAPTER THIRTY ONE : STUCK WITH WORK
CHAPTER THIRTY TWO : SNOGGING
CHAPTER THIRTY THREE : FROWNS AND SMILES
CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR : SNEAKIN' IN AND OUT
CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE : BONDING
CHAPTER THIRTY SIX : APOLOGIES AND PRESENTS
CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN : THE INVITATION
CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT : THE PARTY
CHAPTER THIRTY NINE : THE KISS

CHAPTER EIGHT : ENROLLMENT

269 63 115
By seriouslymeh

Draco's POV

After the train stopped at Hogsmeade, Blaise, Pansy, Theo, and I made our way toward the horseless carriages and took one. We were chattering about random things.

"What happens if we fail the test?" Blaise spoke suddenly.

"You don't get a position, and you can leave," I answered. Astoria made me read the information and the instructions until I memorised them, which was why I had a pretty clear idea about almost everything.

"I don't think I'm going to get a position," Pansy said after a beat of silence. "Look at all of you. You are so smart. I'm sure Draco will make it."

"Don't think so negatively," Blaise consoled. "You might have a chance."

It was true, though. Around thirty people were applying for the job of candidates. It only made sense for a few people to be rejected.

I sighed. I could flunk the test on purpose, but father would know. It was not my choice to apply anyway. But father knew I wouldn't fail at it either. Lucius Malfoy was at least that confident in his son. I couldn't risk messing with this.

When we arrived at Hogwarts, I managed a small smile seeing the looming castle where I had once felt safe and happy. It felt odd as we walked in since the place was almost empty. Usually, there would have been house elves roaming around, cleaning up the stone walls and polishing trophies. The spiral staircase was the same, with Minerva McGonagall standing at the top with her usual stern expression.

It reminded me so much of the first year. I had been so innocent and arrogant, strutting around with Crabbe and Goyle. I regretted being a fool who thought the world only revolved around my life. But there was nothing I could do to change it now.

"Do you know she's the headmistress now?" Theo whispered.

"Really?" Pansy asked.

"I mean, it only makes sense," Blaise said.

McGonagall waited until everyone was here before she addressed us, "Good day, everyone. I believe all of you are here to apply for the student program. I am confident that most of you will get at least one position, depending on your skill sets." She paused and looked around. I could tell she was slightly surprised to see me there.

"No, this program isn't for fun," she continued, "It is an opportunity for you to help us re-establish Hogwarts by working together in a peaceful environment." She eyed the side of the area I stood.

"Let's get seated inside the great hall, and I'll explain the process further." McGonagall beckoned everyone up the stairs and into the great hall.

There was one singular table for all the candidates. We all seated ourselves. As I took note of the other candidates who applied, I saw Potter seated with Longbottom and Lovegood two seats across from where I was.

I rolled my eyes.

Of course! Potter had to apply here. Great, another year with that prick. I thought irritably.

"Settle down, everyone." McGonagall stood up at the front of the hall. "I shall now explain the procedure of the Student Program."

"The student program will be held today," she announced, "All of you will be assessed in about an hour once you register. The test is for us Professors to determine your skill sets and who your partner will be. The test is a written assessment. Anti-cheating spells will be placed on the papers. Is that clear to everyone?" She looked around.

A student from the front raised their hand.

"Yes, Mr Macmillan?"

"How many subjects are we allowed to teach?" he piped in.

"I believe, Mr Macmillian, you have not read the scroll we distributed. It is clearly mentioned that a student can teach no more than three subjects." McGonagall sighed. "However, if the candidate is exceptional, he/she may be asked to guide students in subjects other than their allotted ones."

Another hand popped up.

"So are we taking over the professor job?" a girl asked.

McGonagall shook her head before replying. "No, Ms Brown. The professors will still be teaching during school hours. You are taking up the job as a tutor."

"When are we teaching then?"

"After school hours. The school time will be from eight o'clock until twelve-thirty in the afternoon. The student program will work from two in the afternoon till five in the evening."

"Do we have to attend the school lectures?"

"Yes. However, you shall attend the class and the subject you are supposed to teach and not any other. You will also assist the professors when required."

"How would we know when we have a class?"

"You will be given a timetable for that purpose. You and your partner will have a similar one, so you can coordinate accordingly."

There were a few more hands that went up, and McGonagall sighed.

"Yes?"

"Do we have to have a partner?"

"Yes," McGonagall answered, "You will work in pairs. However, exceptions can be made for the worst case possible. But you are most likely to have another candidate working with you. They will be your dormmate as well. But if limited students get the position, you may need to work alone," McGonagall replied, then she pointed to a girl ahead of me.

For a second, I thought she was picking me.

"Do we get to choose our partners?"

"No," she firmly replied. "As I previously mentioned, you will be doing a test that determines what subject you will be assigned to teach. Then, based on that, you will receive the most suitable partner."

She paused for a moment. "Candidates must not switch rooms, and they cannot under any circumstances live with the opposite gender," McGonagall sternly said. "Any other questions can be privately asked after we dismiss everyone."

Everyone walked towards the registration desk. I saw Potter already in the line. It was annoying that he had to be here. I did not spot Granger and Weasley.

Why did he have to be here?! He ruins everything.

I hoped we would have minimum interactions. And it wouldn't be like school years all over again. The very sight of Potter enraged me.

The line slowly moved. It was my turn to submit my application.

"Name?" asked the bored-looking man.

"Draco Lucius Malfoy," I answered.

He looks up to meet my eyes in a slightly more interested way.

"Malfoy," my name slipped off his tongue as if he was processing it. "What subjects are you to apply for?"

"Uhm... Potions, Defence Against The Dark arts-"

The man snorted. I ignored him.

"Charms, Herbology, Arithmancy, Flight and Transfiguration," I finished.

"That's quite a lot." His tone sounded mocking. "Can you pick any five at the least?"

I cleared my throat. "Potions, Charms, Transfiguration, Arithmancy, and uh... Flight."

"Thank you. You may take the exam paper that is on my left. It has been charming to only assess you on the subjects you choose. You will enter the great hall and take a seat. The questionnaire is charmed with a timer. Once you are seated, a timer for an hour will begin. You cannot write anything further after that hour. Do you understand?" He said dully.

"Yes, just one question," I said, a bit nervously, "Does personal history affect the candidate's position they are given?"

"Possibly." He replied, giving me a knowing look.

"Thank you," I muttered. Taking the paper on the left, I walked back into the great hall. I found an empty table.

I placed my paper on the table. Breathing deeply, I picked up my quill.

Harry's POV

Almost everyone had finished filling out the questionnaire. I was strolling around the corridors with Ginny, reminiscing the memories they held. I dearly hoped that I would get the position. I had been preparing it for so long. The results would come out any minute now.

Suddenly, there was an announcement in Headmistress McGonagall's stern voice, "All candidates return to the Great Hall immediately! I repeat, all candidates return to the Great Hall immediately! Thank you!"

We caught up to Neville and Luna and noticed a blonde head at a distance.

Malfoy.

Yes, I knew he was here. Neville had told me, but I hadn't seen him this entire time. I wished he had changed his mind on the train ride.

When we reached the great hall, McGonagall stood at the front with a newly fixed sorting hat.

"The sorting hat has been customised to pick your partners with whom you shall teach as well as share a dorm. Under no circumstances can these partners be changed. You are also not allowed to welcome the opposite gender into your room. I will elaborate further if you need more confirmation. You. Cannot. Engage. In. A. Romantic. Relationship. While. Working. Here."

Sheesh, I thought. Biting back a laugh.

"The names will be called in the order you submitted the paper, not in alphabetical order. Once you receive your partner, you are free to leave for the Hogsmeade station. The carriages are waiting outside for you," McGonagall said.

"First up," she announced, "...is Angelina Bower."

A girl with pigtails stood up and walked towards the headmistress. McGonagall placed the sorting hat on her head. Seconds later, the hat called out a name in its deep, scratched voice.

"ANGELINA BOWER AND ELEANOR LEE!"

The girl smiled slightly, and the second girl stood up. They both exited the hall. A few people passed, all getting a partner successfully.

"Luna Lovegood," headmistress McGonagall announced.

Luna walked up. Ginny and I gave her a little wave as she walked past. McGonagall put the hat on her head. She waited a few seconds before the hat bellowed.

"LUNA LOVEGOOD AND PADMA PATIL!"

Luna stood up, and Padma rose as well. They both happily exited the hall.

"Hey, Harry," Neville whispered, "It would be great if we both are chosen as partners."

"Yeah," Ginny smiled. "That'd be wonderful!"

I nodded with a grin.

"Blaise Zabini," McGonagall announced.

Zabini rose and walked quickly to the sorting hat. I almost smiled, remembering the same thing happening as an 11-year-old.

The sorting hat took longer this time and then called.

"UNDETERMINED."

The candidates gasped. It meant Zabini was unfit to become a candidate.

Blaise's face fell. He stood up and stood next to McGonagall, who started whispering to him with a solemn expression.

Neville turned to me. "Looks like Zabini won't be a candidate this year."

I nodded.

A few more students went up, a couple coming out as undetermined and rushing past McGonagall. Then finally, my name was called.

"Harry Potter."

I stood nervously and walked up, keeping my eyes straight ahead.

McGonagall placed the hat on my head, and the hat's voice popped into my head.

"Ah, Mr Potter... let's see who you will be partnered with... you have quite a knack for quidditch, with some potion skills... most matching with- Ah, found him."

I baited my breath, nerves tingling.

"HARRY POTTER AND DRACO MALFOY!"

My mouth fell open as my eyes went wide.

WHAT?!

Draco Malfoy?

Draco fucking Malfoy?!

I stayed seated, unable to stand since my legs felt like jelly. My eyes met Ginny and Neville. They were stunned as well.

This must be a mistake.

I scanned the crowd until I found the silver eyes. They looked at me in irritation and shock. I could almost hear Malfoy drawling, "Bloody Potter!"

Malfoy slowly stood up, and headmistress McGonagall gave me a patronising look to do the same thing. I felt numb. The entire situation was hard to process. I didn't want to do this with Malfoy. I stood up reluctantly, giving a grim look to Neville, who replicated the face.

Ginny joined me, and we exited the great hall, following behind the blonde head.

//YAY! ANOTHER CHAPTER :D

I hope you guys enjoyed this one!

I hope you guys are liking the plot of this story... and do you sorta understand what a candidate is now? Is is still confusing?

Please tell me!

Byeeee <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.9K 1.6K 48
Old friends slowly became enemies after a girl got in their way. Years after that they developed the hidden feelings they were sharing and started to...
776 31 13
Drarry book, no smut (This is only cuz I'm a helpless loner who can't get a relationship) This is at the start of book two, an influx of students app...
165K 2.4K 46
Draco Malfoy enemies to lovers story. Y/n and Draco are told that they have an arranged marriage, yet they are enemies. Will they be able to become...
2.3M 61.1K 59
"Anyone you excited to finally meet?" she asked. "Harry Potter obviously! Then again, my dad does talk about this other boy a lot and from what I've...