the only exception | ron weas...

By thesaltyauthor

Lorraine Winters was born into a secretive death eater family. They were known for being spies for Voldemort... More

lorraine + ron
spotify playlist
❂part one.❂
i. malfoy manor
ii. a barbarian's sport
iii. dalnim
iv. the house of the meek
v. goblet of fire
vi. a pathetic dodge
vii. tournament competitors
viii. putting one's title to use
ix. dragon slayer
x. you aren't so bad yourself
xi. dance practice
xii. a boy's ego
xiii. dateless
xiv. aren't you embarrassed?
xv. missing
xvi. imposter
xvii. his return
xviii. an innocent life
xx. the dark lord
❂part two.❂
i. his beloved disciple
ii. my summer?
iii. the spy for MOM
iv. in honour of cedric
v. family issues
vi. high inquisitor
vii. hog's head

xix. goodbyes

27 2 0
By thesaltyauthor

[WORD COUNT: 1511]

————

"Today, we acknowledge...a really terrible loss," Dumbledore began as every student and teacher gathered in the hall to mourn Cedric's death. Lorraine was sitting between Ron and Draco. Both boys were still treating each other respectfully whenever she was involved. "Cedric Diggory was, as you all know...exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded and, most importantly, a fierce, fierce friend. Now, I think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see...Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort. The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so, I think, would be an insult to his memory. Now, the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me...and reminds us...that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we've made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain. You remember that and we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest...and brave and true, right to the very end."

Lorraine stood with the rest of the students and walked between Ron and Draco as they all poured out of the doors. She couldn't shake the nausea that she felt at how one night could ruin what she truly believed was her entire life. She felt selfish--thinking of all the ways that her life had been ruined when Cedric's own life had been ended and his father's life had truly been permanently changed. But she couldn't stop thinking. She couldn't stop thinking of what her family would think, what Voldemort would plan for her and Draco, what she'd be forced to do in the name of the Dark Lord, and how she'd have to use every single one of her friends to stay alive.

"Miss Winters?" called Dumbledore, causing the girl to freeze and turn around stiffly. She looked like a deer caught in headlights--did he know what she was thinking?

Okay, she thought, that's a bit ridiculous now. Pull yourself together, Lorraine.

"Yes, Professor Dumbledore?" she asked as she walked over to the Headmaster. She gave both Ron and Draco and thumbs up and let a small grin grace her face when she saw the two repeatedly nudge each other when they thought she wasn't looking.

"May I talk to you in my office?" Dumbledore asked gently, placing a hand over her shoulder comfortingly. While hesitant, she nodded and followed the man. It was deadly silent as they walked and Lorraine was convinced that she was the only one making it awkward due to her overthinking.

"What did you want to discuss?" Lorraine asked quietly, fiddling with her fingers as they entered the office. Dumbledore motioned to the seat across from him at his desk and they both sat down.

"I wanted to discuss the night of the third trial."

Lorraine visibly gulped and nodded slowly. "O-Of course, Professor."

"I first want to apologise for your being there in the first place. It was discovered that Professor Moody was in fact Barty Crouch Jr.--an escaped Azkaban prisoner. Everything has been dealt with, but the one thing that we could not uncover was the reason why you were pushed with Harry in the first place. Would you happen to know?"

She sat stiffly in her chair and thought of all the possible replies before answering with a simple, "I've got no idea, Professor. Maybe because I was with him? I was...telling him to be careful."

Dumbledore nodded slowly, looking through her as if she were made of thin glass. It made her shift in her seat and avoid all eye contact, which probably made everything worse.

"I have reason to believe that there is more to your answer, Miss Winters. Please don't feel scared to tell me anything, I can assure you that whatever is said in this room will stay in this room."

Lorraine tried not to break down crying, but she did. She let out heavy sobs and tried to stop them by cupping a hand over her mouth but to no avail. She hadn't cried like that ever since she lost Cedric. She didn't feel sad, but she couldn't deny how terrified she was. Her body was in a perpetual state of nausea and her heart was running an eternal marathon it seemed.

Dumbledore reached for a tissue and handed her the frail object. She took it gladly and used it to wipe her face and eyes, drying it only temporarily as her tears were yet to cease.

"I assume that this has some correlation to your parents?" he asked, to which she screwed her eyes shut and gave him the faintest of nods. She cupped her hands over her face, ashamed of having admitted such a thing to someone who was considered one of her family's biggest enemies.

"You...You don't understand. I can't tell you anything no matter how much I want to," she choked out. Dumbledore nodded, letting out a thoughtful hum.

"Your left arm, perhaps?"

Lorraine froze, giving away her answer quicker than light itself. She watched him purse his lips in thought before taking a deep breath. "Professor Snape is a death eater also, Miss Winters. While I do not expect for you to tell me anything of your...forced allegiance, you should feel safe with him," he said gently. Her eyes widened and removed her hands from her face, revealing her puffy eyes and tear-stained cheeks.

"Professor Snape? H-How do you know?"

"You should ask him yourself, Miss Winters. I feel that he would provide you with more answers than I ever could."

Lorraine nodded rapidly, standing and bowing before her Headmaster, which elicited a smile from him. "I-I saw Mr Macnair, Mr Malfoy, Mr Crabbe, Mr Goyle, my parents...Peter Pettigrew also a-and Voldemort, I swear. I-I know how unbelievable the return of Voldemort is, but he's back. H-He ordered Peter to kill Cedric and I tried to save him, I swear...!"

"I trust both you and Mr Potter, Miss Winters. I promise you that, and I will ensure that Mr Diggory's death will not be in vain. I shall see you in September," Dumbledore said softly. With that, Lorraine bowed once more and left the office. With no desire to return to her room or see her friends, she made a beeline for Snape's classroom.

She needed answers. She needed help.

"Professor," she announced as she pushed open the door and entered the room. Sitting at his desk was Professor Snape, who glanced up from his work to look at her.

"Miss Winters. To what do I owe the pleasure?" he mused.

"I was told you were...like me." She walked to his desk and pulled up her sleeve to reveal her dark mark. His face darkened at the sight and he pursed his lips.

"I was...hoping that you weren't the piece of history that I've heard so much about from your parents," he said slowly with a short sigh.

"Piece of history?" Lorraine questioned with furrowed eyebrows.

"Being the youngest to bear the dark mark on your arm," Snape replied simply, motioning to the dark ink on her arm.

"Can't always get what we hope for," she replied bitterly as she sat down on the seat on her side of the desk. "How does Professor Dumbledore know that you're a death eater?"

"That's...I'm on your side, I can promise you that." His gaze drifted down to the work in front of him as he thought.

"A spy for him then? Like I am for my parents?"

He nodded.

"You're lucky," he said, looking at her with a hint of disappointment in his eyes. "The night of his return...they cared about you so little when they saw you without your charm that they forgot what you looked like until the final moments. All they recall is a girl with striking red hair and brown eyes. They assumed you were a Weasley until they determined your facial features were too different."

Lorraine let out a sigh of great relief and slumped in her chair. "I had hoped that they were as ridiculously self-centred as I thought they were."

"Hope is not enough in those situations, Lorraine," Snape said sternly. "One slight slip-up and you are dead. I don't know what they did to you when you called Mr Weasley some sort of nickname, but Merlin knows how lucky you were."

"I know," she whispered. "I thought I could live with being a death eater if I didn't care, but now I care too much."

"Affection can be a deadly thing, Lorraine."

"And yet I can't stop it anymore. I want a way out. Is there a way out?"

"There will never be a way out."

It wasn't the answer she wanted, but it was one she expected.

"Are you skilled in Occlumency?" Snape said after a minute of silence. Lorraine pursed her lips and nodded quickly.

"Legilimency and Occlumency," she replied quietly.

"Good. Prepare yourself for your return home--you'll need to use it. You need to protect your mind like your life depends on it."

Lorraine would've cried if it weren't for Snape's presence.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

242K 5.5K 30
BOOK ONE. Olivia Potter didn't know the Wizarding world existed until her fourth year. She didn't know that she had a twin brother. She was left alon...
910 0 28
You know my name and are nearing the end of my story, for it does not end in the way you would think. I have grown distant from my boyfriend and clos...
892 10 70
Artemis Victoria Malfoy was the younger Twin sister to none other than Draco Malfoy himself and growing up, the both of them have always been close b...
129 0 12
"The sunset is pretty." She sighed, her back leaning against the tree. The boy looked at her intently and nodded, before turning to look at the sun s...